Kudzu and the new legendary longbow

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I like Dreamer and Kudzu also also, and I’m a guy. I think this whole weird machismo of “I’m a dude so I can’t like flowers or colors” in our culture needs to go.

So,you would try to ignore something which is present from days when Adam and Eve played with toys in sand?

Yes…sure

If you as a guy,love having female looking weapons,and armors,feel free to do so,but do not try spread your way of thinking on us.I like to use pink and olive on my Lunatic Outfit,and i do love some flowers,but,what is wrong,it is wrong.Just look at some weapons and new things they added in GemStore.Me as a male,i do not like to have shiny pink backpack,or some other “Flower child” type of weapon.When i saw bow shooting pony,i was deeply disappointed in ArenaNet.

What is being ignored about the story of Adam and Eve? And where you say “but what is wrong, it is wrong” what does that mean?

Flowers are natural. The only reason you associate them with females is because of your cultural indoctrination. Pink used to be the color associated with baby boys in the US, and blue with girls. Claiming biblical “proof” of what is masculine and/or feminine is ridiculous. What’s wrong with just accepting that people like what they like, and that doesn’t make them anything other than the sum of who they are? Men and women are allowed to like the same things. People don’t fit in neat little boxes.

If you want to be like Adam and Eve, go be a nudist.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I like Dreamer and Kudzu also also, and I’m a guy. I think this whole weird machismo of “I’m a dude so I can’t like flowers or colors” in our culture needs to go.

Yes please. I’m sick of seeing threads about these weapons always associated with “for girls.” People will like what they like, etc.

Signed, a female who thinks theyre ugly as sin.

I don’t think they’re ugly, but they are a little too saccharine for me (and I’m female, too).

Especially The Dreamer.

I assumed it was just supposed to be a joke, TBH.

I like the unicorns, but the bow itself is totally My Little Pony.

Kudzu I could make work, but I would have to try to toughen it up a little with other things my character was wearing.

I can’t go 100% feminine, it just feels wrong.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

because my Ranger is not a Sylvari or a female char or whatever Kudzu is supposed to be for.

A flower bow, a pony short bow, a confetti pistol, a rainbow staff, a disco ball mace?

I honestly think the target audience for some of the legendary weapons are six year old girls. Well, considering Quip maybe although female clowns.

Please anet can we get a legendary weapon of every type a male character can wear without getting laughed at?

Tigaseye.2047

because my Ranger is not a Sylvari or a female char or whatever Kudzu is supposed to be for.

A flower bow, a pony short bow, a confetti pistol, a rainbow staff, a disco ball mace?

I honestly think the target audience for some of the legendary weapons are six year old girls. Well, considering Quip maybe although female clowns.

Please anet can we get a legendary weapon of every type a male character can wear without getting laughed at?

What about Ydalir (not legendary, but ascended):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ydalir

It’s actually my favourite longbow skin in the game, ATM.

No pic in that link, but you can preview it in the wardrobe.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

So,you would try to ignore something which is present from days when Adam and Eve played with toys in sand?

Yes…sure

If you as a guy,love having female looking weapons,and armors,feel free to do so,but do not try spread your way of thinking on us.I like to use pink and olive on my Lunatic Outfit,and i do love some flowers,but,what is wrong,it is wrong.Just look at some weapons and new things they added in GemStore.Me as a male,i do not like to have shiny pink backpack,or some other “Flower child” type of weapon.When i saw bow shooting pony,i was deeply disappointed in ArenaNet.

It isn’t wrong, it’s just not your thing. I don’t think it’s anything to be disappointed with anet about, there will always be new skins

Posted by: Alteraphim.4629

Alteraphim.4629

If someone laughed at me while I was wearing Moot I would crush them while listening to Disco Inferno (while watching a video of the anet devs disco on the dance floor). Also, can I get a video of the Anet team doing the disco on the dance floor? For reasons.

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

What about Ydalir (not legendary, but ascended):

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ydalir

It’s actually my favourite longbow skin in the game, ATM.

No pic in that link, but you can preview it in the wardrobe.

That one is quite cool.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I’m a fan of Dreamer. It took me years to get it, but darned if I’m not thrilled with it.

The sound makes my ears bleed.

Ok ok, you guys. I was going to say something about how I wish The Dreamer had an option “Whinny/Don’t Whinny” component, but that seemed sort of rude, given it’s a PonyBow™ and I should be willing to take the whole package or not choose it at all.

Sorry to say this but lots of others also come up with this “if you don’t like it, don’t make it,” type of reply to any complaints about the new Dreamer sound. I did choose the Dreamer for the whole package…. And then someone at Anet decided to change the package (sound) months after I spent lots of gold and time on it.

As for Kudzu- I’m in the process of making one now, mostly because I wanted to experience the collection and it’s a legendary I don’t have. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll keep it or sell it. It’s not one that I especially liked, but it is a pretty thing in its own right.

I still prefer Quip to Hope, and the Bifrost to Nevermore. I don’t like either axe, though Astralaria would get a second thought if it could be wielded with Meteorlogicus.

Posted by: Dvious.8126

Dvious.8126

Since these weapons are supposed to be “Legendary”, why not give them 2-3 optional appearances for each or EVEN BETTER interchangeable appearance sections allowing players to customize/personalize their legendary really making it a “Legendary” weapon.

Example: The Longbow could have 3 different string options, 3 different grip options, 3 different limb options. Then allow the player to build it themselves. This would create at least some variation between appearances that would all obviously be a longbow coupled with giving the player a sense of personalization that would last longer than just the accomplishment itself.

Make this journey and reward memorable by basing it more on what the player wants. Please make an attempt at not forcing your playerbase to accept someone elses aesthetic. Step out of the box of trying to make everyone look the same. This would be a step toward making legendary weapons truly epic.

EDIT: add into that set of options a choice of sound effects.

I’d rather be playing the game than writing this post.

(edited by Dvious.8126)

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

Since these weapons are supposed to be “Legendary”, why not give them 2-3 optional appearances for each or EVEN BETTER interchangeable appearance sections allowing players to customize/personalize their legendary really making it a “Legendary” weapon.

Example: The Longbow could have 3 different string options, 3 different grip options, 3 different limb options. Then allow the player to build it themselves. This would create at least some variation between appearances that would all obviously be a longbow coupled with giving the player a sense of personalization that would last longer than just the accomplishment itself.

Make this journey and reward memorable by basing it more on what the player wants. Please make an attempt at not forcing your playerbase to accept someone elses aesthetic. Step out of the box of trying to make everyone look the same. This would be a step toward making legendary weapons truly epic.

EDIT: add into that set of options a choice of sound effects.

Sounds like Dragon Age Inquisition crafting…not bad but probably takes a while to create that.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

I have a male character and I love my Kudzu… I think it’s more bound to class than gender. It fits the theme of ranger really well, and I suppose it also fits sylvari really well. In nature, kudzu is a plant that is basically like a mega weed, it spreads really quickly and takes everything over, dominating the landscape. I found that pretty cool/fitting for a ranger’s legendary weapon. Dreamer on the other hand is way too tacky for my taste…

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Wait wait wait… so being the embodiment of nature is too girly? I play a male human ranger and Kudzu is on my list of top three.

Having a bow that references the Muppets (“the lover, the dreamer and me”) and Robot Unicorn Attack, the most metal flashgame ever made, is too girly?

Bifrost is a rainbow that ferries the most glorious dead warriors from Midgard to Valhalla in classical Norse mythology. It’s where the Thor comics and movies came from, and it’s where Christianity got the phrase “The path to salvation is straight and narrow” because that came from the Eddas. A staff that represents the exaltation of the most valiant soldiers is too girly??

Next you’ll say Rodgort is too Girld to be awesome.

On topic, I’m all for a new Legendary longbow, one that might fit a Warrior theme more effectively. Unless you play one as the Green Knight, which is a whole different story.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Yes, so much this! You rock my socks off

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Main is a ranger that has been around for a long time. The only reason I have not made the legendary bow is because of its’ My Little Pony’ flowers and rainbow kiddies cartoon theme. My various ascended are just as powerful and actually look much better. At least give us a choice of more varieties. If they can make three GS available, why not bows?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I heard from an unreliable source that the new greatbow will shoot farting cows and you need a stack of these to craft the gift of flying flatulence:

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/24214-flying-cow-token

Or was it the new shortbow?

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Sevans.4619

Sevans.4619

I’m a hetro guy with all male chars and both Dreamer and Kudzu. I think they’re both awesome, I mean what’s more metal than exploding rainbow death ponies?

The answer to that question is “just about everything.”

I don’t care much for Kudzu, but I don’t think it’s bad either; The Dreamer is tacky and obnoxious. I don’t think the OP is unreasonable in their request, nor do I think it’s a problem to want more ‘masculine’ legendary bows. Everyone’s got different taste and that’s okay.

Saethe — Favorable Winds [Wind] — Maguuma

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I like The Dreamer and I’ll have you know that I’m mature for my age. It’s a game it isn’t supposed to be taken seriously. I like my suggestion of a vampire bow, it’s awesome without being too masculine or feminine, just dark yet mystical.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Kudzu is very cool, I love the nature theme. If Mesmer had access to Longbows I wouldn’t hesitate in making it. Beautiful weapon.

Dreamer on the other hand is hideous – but then I’m not a fan of flying fantasy horses.

(Rainbows are cool though, I love Bifrost).

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I’m a fan of Dreamer. It took me years to get it, but darned if I’m not thrilled with it.

Ok ok, you guys. I was going to say something about how I wish The Dreamer had an option “Whinny/Don’t Whinny” component, but that seemed sort of rude, given it’s a PonyBow™ and I should be willing to take the whole package or not choose it at all.

I have only had a couple of occasions when I’ve been asked “Can you turn that off?” and once when I was asked “What IS that sound.” I do admit, it’s a little… noticeable. But the whole visual is so splendid that I’m ok with that small drawback. ( ~nudge~ Get the ranger ref? draw-back????)

I just want to point out that while I also find the sound to be a little grating, I love the Doppler effect you get with it. I can tell whether the person is coming toward me or moving away from me simply by the pitch of the ponies.

Subtleties like that really add to the experience.

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I have only had a couple of occasions when I’ve been asked “Can you turn that off?” and once when I was asked “What IS that sound.” I do admit, it’s a little… noticeable. But the whole visual is so splendid that I’m ok with that small drawback. ( ~nudge~ Get the ranger ref? draw-back????)

I just want to point out that while I also find the sound to be a little grating, I love the Doppler effect you get with it. I can tell whether the person is coming toward me or moving away from me simply by the pitch of the ponies.

Subtleties like that really add to the experience.

That’s beautiful Roy. There are not many people who can use “subtlety” and “The Dreamer” in the same context. I love it!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

~snip~ I did choose the Dreamer for the whole package…. And then someone at Anet decided to change the package (sound) months after I spent lots of gold and time on it.

I have only had the bow a few weeks, and I didn’t notice the sounds previously (in someone else’s ownership). Can you detail what changed? I’d like to ask about it. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

I started Gw2 too as a ranger because I like bows so much and I was disappointed to find out the look of the Legendary longbow. It looks too fragile, the base is a thin twig that can be snapped easily. And I personally don’t dig the way the theme has been expressed.
I can see why others might find it appealing though, but I do hope they release a less soft looking bow.

Also the story behind a weapon doesn’t necessarily make it look better. You need to judge the appearance of a weapon by its appearance not by it’s story. The appearance should be epic on its own, it shouldn’t require a story. Ofcourse it does add another dimension.

Luckily there have been some longbow skins released that do please me.
Now I would just like to show you the bow that made me love em! (Silkroad Online)

Attachments:

(edited by luzt.7692)

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

~snip~ I did choose the Dreamer for the whole package…. And then someone at Anet decided to change the package (sound) months after I spent lots of gold and time on it.

I have only had the bow a few weeks, and I didn’t notice the sounds previously (in someone else’s ownership). Can you detail what changed? I’d like to ask about it. Thanks.

The sound of the neigh changed. The only way I can think to describe it is that it used to be almost a ghostly echo sound. Now it sounds much more like a horse (which I’m sure was the intent), but to my ears it is very shrill. I’ve skinned over mine because it is bothersome to myself and my friends. If they could lighten up the pitch a little, it probably would be so bad

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s hard to describe exactly but it’s basically like the horse sound was made noticeably louder, shriller and faster (kind of like when you speed up a recording of a person talking and they sound like the Chipmunks). It also seems to play more frequently so that with fast skills, like the ranger’s auto-attack it’s actually starting one sound before the last one has finished. The end result is very odd.

You can hear the old version in this video (starting at about 35 seconds in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yXhtSVKhhQ

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Eh I love Kudzu…
It reminds me of something a Kurzick would use in Guild Wars 1.

Besides that fact, the whole nature theme of the bow works amazingly well with Rangers and of course Druid.

Then again, I’m not a 14-16 year old who’s into the whole goth vampire scene.
No offense to any 14-16 year olds who are into that stuff all the time.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

I don’t know any 14-16 year olds who are into “the whole goth vampire scene” but I know plenty of people more than twice that age who are into it without thinking of it like something cheesy like you seem to (at least it sounded that way).

As for the dreamer: I never noticed this bow when it had the “old” sound. The new sound however is so annoying to me that I cannot stand it. It is the only weapon that ever managed to make me leave a group/location. I had to listen to it continuously while running around with several people in the halloween labyrinth, and it was so bad that I went back out to lions arch.

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I’d be happy if they made some lightning bows that arc lightning that follow the arrows.

Tigaseye.2047

How about a legendary Greatbow like this?

I think that bow is a little too large.

Also, I think most people would think it didn’t look “epic” enough to be a legendary.

OT, but the character in that pic has the kind of torso type I was suggesting, as a possible third option bodytype for GW2 human females, in another thread.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If people don’t like a vampire themed bow (vampires tend to be very popular) then what about a ghost dog themed longbow? It would have a faint light bluish-white glow with friendly yet ghostly barking on a 30 second cooldown. Footsteps would be ghostly paw prints ^_^

Nury.3062

Just to prove my point a bit.The human is my main,the ranger i would love to make a legendary longbow for…
Tell me on which one fits better…

Attachments:

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

Just to prove my point a bit.The human is my main,the ranger i would love to make a legendary longbow for…

Personally I find beauty in diversity. I don’t like to enclose myself in predefined concepts and visions. Venturing yourself by associating seemingly incompatible pieces together to bring out a whole new vision is what I find interesting and pretty.
I find more visual opportunities with your human holding the Kudzu then with the already leafy Sylvari with a leafy bow.

So in short, yeah, it looks better with your human imo

Nury.3062

Personally I find beauty in diversity. I don’t like to enclose myself in predefined concepts and visions. Venturing yourself by associating seemingly incompatible pieces together to bring out a whole new vision is what I find interesting and pretty.
I find more visual opportunities with your human holding the Kudzu then with the already leafy Sylvari with a leafy bow.

So in short, yeah, it looks better with your human imo

I feel like most of the people who like Kudzu would say anything just to make Kudzu look good,or maybe not,i don’t know but it’s hard for me to run around with a flower bow dressed like that…well maybe it’s just me…

Tigaseye.2047

A tiger bow would be nice.

I would, personally, like a tiger (or a tiger face) amongst jungle flowers, but I guess that would annoy the people who don’t like flowers, so a tiger on its own would be fine.

Especially if they added a jungle flower backpack skin (like a lily, or an orchid).

This might be more of an idea for a complete Black Lion weapon skin line, though, rather than a single legendary bow.

Would fit pretty well with the theme of the current xpac, too.

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

You are right. Kudzu on your human look very awful. It is really no good for manly bow using characters. They deservse a better longbow seriously.

If i put it on my male warrior he will self del when i am off…

Please it is time for a more gender generic legendary longbow design now.

Or make 2 color options with slight different mystic recipie that carer to different gender will be much mor practical. I wish kudzu got 2 color versions….

(edited by Crossaber.8934)

Tigaseye.2047

Yeah, it doesn’t go at all.

I think part of the problem with it, in general, aside from whether you have a personal preference for pink flowers or not, or whether your character suits the design or not, is that the “gold” arrow is far too yellow.

In fact, it’s not really gold, at all; it’s just yellow.

You can see that particularly clearly in your pics, as it clashes with the gold colour in your armour.

If the gold was a true gold, or ideally a slightly darker, tarnished, antique type gold, it would be more subtle and wearable by more characters.

Still not all of them, obviously, but more.

Really I think we just need a more “feminine” and a more “masculine” version of each weapon.

Then people can decide for themselves.

You’re never going to please everyone, but you can please far more that way.

Posted by: RoyHarmon.5398

RoyHarmon.5398

I’ve decided to start asking random strangers with legendary weapons to “tell me the legend of your weapon.”

“It is the stupidest children who are the most childish
and the stupidest grown-ups who are the most grown-up.”
- C. S. Lewis