L2P Other Classes & Teamplay

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lipin.7529

Lipin.7529

This post is a frustration post. This comes after numerous failures with dungeon groups. The breaking point was my last AC run. Everyone did the dungeon in DPS spec with no regard for team play. I was on my ranger DPS geared alt and was pulling most of the aggro while the others did nothing but DPS, not even wanting to rez/rally. Everyone was either not knowing how to rez, or not targetting the same mob to rally even though a target marker was up. Had a glass cannon engineer trying to rez and eventually got down because she was bearing the bulk of aggro after me. The rest were just happily DPSing different mobs, which eventually resulted in a wipe.

So I had to reach for the forums to have a better sense of what the current community is, and that is because I have a RL friend who plays a warrior and knows nothing about playing it outside open world PVE. I realised that while there is a reasonable number of people knowing the game, and wanting the difficulty of dungeons to be raised, the majority are whining about the current state of the game.

As a plea, I hope the community will learn about other classes and what they can do in PVE to better enhance team play. Please make pugging a better experience.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

So you were DPSing like mad and pulling aggro(?) instead of helping support the team?

Posted by: niea.7504

niea.7504

As a staff elementalist, I always get a kick out of people dodge rolling out of my geysers.

Posted by: Milamber.3184

Milamber.3184

You want other people to not just play DPS while you are playing DPS…

I get what you are saying, or what you want to get accross to people…

But the irony in this is just too kitten much…

Lipin.7529

Yea. I agree with niea. Put a useful field, everyone runs out from it. Even at high level FOTM, people are running out of the guardian’s bubble at legendary grawl shaman when the adds spawn.

Lipin.7529

Actually, there is no irony. I play with 5 DPSers with team knowledge and it is just fine.

Milamber.3184

Then why label and word your thread/post implying people should play other classes/specs?

Maybe i should of said Hypocrisy instead.

Lipin.7529

I probably didnt word it clearly. I just hope people know what other classes can do so they can provide a little more sensitivity.

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

That’s what I call a true QQ post.

Posted by: Lokheit.7943

Lokheit.7943

While the OP is somewhat invaliding itself with the statement of playing dps and others not wanting to play support and all of them going dps, the title of this thread is a very good point.

I think everyone should at least investigate a bit what other professions can do. For example I’m running Arah and I still find at that point people that doesn’t know how my Shadow Refuge works, exiting it before time ruining our whole try at skipping a patrol, or attacking while I’m resurecting them, breaking stealth and atracting AoE attacks over him and me killing the resurrectors in the process (and attacking mobs that would take a lot of time to fall so it isn’t like they will rally with those attacks).

The same applies to how many professions work. I recommend trying some alternate professions an play them every now and then, and investigate the wiki and the forums to know the most popular ways to play as certain professions and what they can expect from them in teamplay.

Milamber.3184

I probably didnt word it clearly. I just hope people know what other classes can do so they can provide a little more sensitivity.

Okie dokie.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Regardless of what you think of the particular OP, I think the sentiment here is good. Players should be aware of their environment and other players make up a large part of that environment. My pet issue is gratuitous knockbacks. I often wish that any knockback ability was unlocked only after taking a class in how to use it properly in combat. I’m sure every scepter ele, 100b warrior, WW guardian has the daily annoyance of blowing their most damaging ability (over and over) by having the target removed by someone’s knockback.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

Regardless of what you think of the particular OP, I think the sentiment here is good. Players should be aware of their environment and other players make up a large part of that environment. My pet issue is gratuitous knockbacks. I often wish that any knockback ability was unlocked only after taking a class in how to use it properly in combat. I’m sure every scepter ele, 100b warrior, WW guardian has the daily annoyance of blowing their most damaging ability (over and over) by having the target removed by someone’s knockback.

Lol!! Definitely one of my pet peeves… in a dungeon with my mesmer using sword… I immobilize a mob and begin a blurred frenzy (which roots me) only to have some moron ranger 5 miles away knock the mob back with his long bow for no reason at all. Thanks guy… thanks.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Lol!! Definitely one of my pet peeves… in a dungeon with my mesmer using sword… I immobilize a mob and begin a blurred frenzy (which roots me) only to have some moron ranger 5 miles away knock the mob back with his long bow for no reason at all. Thanks guy… thanks.

This is actually true, that a lot of players are too getting used to “skill rotation” rather than use the skill at the critical / right moment. I don’t know what to blame or how a lot of players learned this bad habit by smashing their skill mindlessly.

Posted by: helosie.4781

helosie.4781

I understand playing dps, but you still need to invest more effort into your group as well. On my ranger in dungeons I carry two skills that helps out my team, Druid spirit and Search and rescue. While my ranger is near full DPS, I took time to invest into some survivability while giving support to my team by getting them picked up fast. Even quickening zephyr can be used as a quick pick up.
There’s nothing wrong with being dps, but if your gonna be a lump who just attacks and gets smacked over in one shot without dodging or healing, then your playing this game wrong.

Iron-Bound [IB]
Gate of Madness

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Dear OP,

It isn’t really a balancing issue. It’s more of a ‘build mixture’. If everyone is running a ‘selfish build’ ie: full dps glass cannon, it just wouldn’t work for some dungeons.

Instead of mulling over it, take steps to overcome it. Well only some professions can. When I’m powerlevelling my alts in AC, I’d usually bring a warrior or guardian. Both of them carry 2 sets. A full berserker and knight’s complement.

As far as efficiency goes, it isn’t the best. But with over 3400 toughness, you can just be a meat shield for everything an ‘easy’ dungeon has to throw at you.That way with whatever kind of pug you were misfortunate enough to acquire, you’d still pull through the entire dungeon without wiping.

Just a question of faster or slower. This is called carrying.

If any of the above doesn’t appeal to you, take the effort to form the party yourself, and seek the professions needed for a smoother run. It’s ultimately in your own hands. I get where you’re coming from.

Sidenote:

I levelled a ranger to 80 last week and geared it up all shiny. When I’m playing any other class, I love it when a ranger uses healing spring. But when I’m on my ranger, I don’t use it.

Simply because hardly anyone makes full use of a water field’s combo finisher. Only good thing perhaps is the persistent condition removal.

Lipin.7529

True. I agree with everyone out here. My ranger is my 6th lvl 80. I’m maining a dps engineer, have a tank warr, tank guardian, dps Mesmer, support ele. I have only been doing dungeons since launch and have much fun with it. i have seen my fair share of dungeon party set ups too. i appreciate anet alot for letting us bring whatever class into a dungeon and has never kicked anyone regardless of lvl and class.

My main point is not trying to QQ. I’m just worried about the state of the game, and probably wanna create some awareness about how varied party set ups are possible. Ran lvl 20+ fotm with full glass cannons before. Ran dungeons with all tanks before.

I just find that people brought their mentality from previous cookie cutter mmos and just forget that this game is vastly different.

Well, cheers to all who responded to this thread anyway.

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Threads created for the sake of complaining are not allowed as they do not invite to constructive discussion. Please refrain from creating such threads in the future.

Thank you.