LFG 101: Read The Listing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

This is a public service announcement to anyone and everyone who currently uses the Looking for Group (LFG) system in-game:

• Please read the listing before clicking ‘Join Party/Merge Parties’ .

It would seem that this most recent update -Twilight Assault- has increased the tool’s usage by a large amount. However, many players neglect to read which groups they’re joining. People post “Story Mode” and get 4 people insta-joining for Explorable Mode; a listing for the New Path, lvl80 Only has 60’s, 50’s, and 70’s joining in.

The problem is that these groups have to kick the members that don’t fit into what the group is originally set, so sometimes people’s feelings get hurt by the kick. Another issue is that the group has to once again relist it’s posting and repeat this process two to three times before getting a member that actually fits the criteria that they originally requested.

So, again I ask the simple request from the community to please read the listing prior to joining an LFG party. Thank you.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

You think the description in the lfg tool was supposed to be used?!?!? wheres anitgw when you need him to instill some sense in these entitled elitists

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

You think the description in the lfg tool was supposed to be used?!?!? wheres anitgw when you need him to instill some sense in these entitled elitists

Ironically, I never claimed that the description was not supposed to be used.

It’s funny that you didn’t actually read my posts and still talk, after complaining about “rabble” that doesn’t read your descriptions.

Posted by: Phoenixfudge.5290

Phoenixfudge.5290

HA! Pugs always find a way to annoy or waste your time.

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

You think people will read it? They never will. This will be a big problem in the current iteration of the LFG FOREVER.

This is why developers should make the LFG tool idiot proof. Unfortunately, ANet didn’t make it idiot proof so we all will suffer.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Of course the description of grouping should be read, a description of for desired groups does not an elitist make.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Of course the description of grouping should be read, a description of for desired groups does not an elitist make.

Ah this is true, however for some reason people will have arguments with you that the tool was supposed to be used to find groups fast not to find specific groups.

(prob should have added a /s at the end of that post)

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

You think people will read it? They never will. This will be a big problem in the current iteration of the LFG FOREVER.

This is why developers should make the LFG tool idiot proof. Unfortunately, ANet didn’t make it idiot proof so we all will suffer.

Anet really needs to force people to read the description when joining.

Adding a confirmation button with the party text/description above it and a 5 second delay before enabling it would probably do the job.

AntiGw.9367

This is not a problem, big or small, and will not be. People that don’t read will eventually get tired of being kicked and suspended from joining groups.

Adding a confirmation button with the party text/description above it and a 5 second delay before enabling it would probably do the job.

And what happens while the person is looking at the confirmation button? Does the group get removed from the list for 5 seconds, or are people still able to see it and also click join? What if many people start clicking join at the same time, do they get placed into a queue or something?

The tool was designed to find you a group fast, and your idea doesn’t help that (I had thought of something like that myself, before discarding it for the same reasons).

(edited by AntiGw.9367)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

I put path 1 or 2 in the description.
Everyone picked 3 -_-

AntiGw.9367

Would it help if the tool gave certain privileges to the person that created the listing?

Such as being able to select a dungeon path or story mode without voting.

Siphaed.9235

I like that idea very much. An additional confirmation button for the player to view the text of what’s being asked of the group. Very useful.

Would it help if the tool gave certain privileges to the person that created the listing?

Such as being able to select a dungeon path or story mode without voting.

No, because that doesn’t solve the issue in general, as it’s just a force against others to do something they don’t want to do, based on them joining a group that they didn’t read info about. The problem that prompted the creation of this thread is that people are joining a group for something very specific that they either cannot do or didn’t plan to do (lower levels not able to do level 80 paths/dungeons, and people who are looking for Explorable Mode groups that are joining Story Mode groups for a lack of reading).

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

GW2 has the most stupid player base ever. I don’t think I saw a single player who actually read the description when I tried to make groups for the new dungeon path. Not a single one. There are idiots in all games but I haven’t even seen a single player who had read what I stated before clicking the join button..

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle we didn’t have quite as much issue in GW1 when people actually had to be approved and accepted by the group leader. Sure, there were still trolls and skill issues, and still some randomness, but no where near as bad.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Ah this is true, however for some reason people will have arguments with you that the tool was supposed to be used to find groups fast not to find specific groups.

If this REALLY were the case then a description field would not have been added.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Cant read them.

By the time you get a few letters in the group has filled and you’ve lost your spot.

Spam join and hope for the best.

Posted by: FirstBlood.7359

FirstBlood.7359

Sometimes you have to kick so many people and relist, that the lfg tool marks your listing as spam.

Tz tz

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

This is a public service announcement to anyone and everyone who currently uses the Looking for Group (LFG) system in-game:

• Please read the listing before clicking ‘Join Party/Merge Parties’ .

It would seem that this most recent update -Twilight Assault- has increased the tool’s usage by a large amount. However, many players neglect to read which groups they’re joining. People post “Story Mode” and get 4 people insta-joining for Explorable Mode; a listing for the New Path, lvl80 Only has 60’s, 50’s, and 70’s joining in.

The problem is that these groups have to kick the members that don’t fit into what the group is originally set, so sometimes people’s feelings get hurt by the kick. Another issue is that the group has to once again relist it’s posting and repeat this process two to three times before getting a member that actually fits the criteria that they originally requested.

So, again I ask the simple request from the community to please read the listing prior to joining an LFG party. Thank you.

The vast majority of the people who would most benefit from this PSA likely never visit the forums and will never see this.

I still maintain that forced merges and joins make the LFG Tool not worth using for any serious dungeoneers, and that gw2lfg.com is still superior.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

This is not a problem, big or small, and will not be. People that don’t read will eventually get tired of being kicked and suspended from joining groups.

And what happens while the person is looking at the confirmation button? Does the group get removed from the list for 5 seconds, or are people still able to see it and also click join? What if many people start clicking join at the same time, do they get placed into a queue or something?

The tool was designed to find you a group fast, and your idea doesn’t help that (I had thought of something like that myself, before discarding it for the same reasons).

Exactly what happens when they click join. A spot gets filled up, also add a cancel button so when they actually realize the group isn’t for them before 5 seconds they don’t waste their time & the party.

I’d argue against finding a group fast being a priority vs finding a correct group. If that was what was intended then why even bother having a description text to be filled up?

AntiGw.9367

If this REALLY were the case then a description field would not have been added.

This really were the case, although not the way that guy is saying it (because he didn’t read my posts that actually explain that).

The box was added simply to let other people know what you are looking for. Once they join, it’s your responsibility to figure things out among yourselves. The tool itself was indeed designed with a priority on finding groups fast (and let you talk things out after that), not finding you groups that fit specific criteria.

Exactly what happens when they click join. A spot gets filled up, also add a cancel button so when they actually realize the group isn’t for them before 5 seconds they don’t waste their time & the party.

I’d argue against finding a group fast being a priority vs finding a correct group. If that was what was intended then why even bother having a description text to be filled up?

So your group can effectively be kept off the list by people who can’t decide what they want. Meanwhile everybody else who does know what he’s clicking the join button for, is being slowed down by the tool.

The reading issue is not big enough to inconvenience the entire playerbase who is having a great time with the tool already.

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

I think simply being able to accept or deny people joining your group as the one who is the leader (made the post) would be sufficient.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I think simply being able to accept or deny people joining your group as the one who is the leader (made the post) would be sufficient.

So right – but sadly the “anti-elitist” people won’t have that.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

So, the upshot of all this is the next revision of the LFG Tool should allow the lister to SET and LOCK the dungeon path that will be available and to set a minimum level so that if the viewer is below that level, they CANNOT SEE the listing to erroneously respond to it.

I’d like to think that’s well within the skills of ANets code-monkeys.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

So, the upshot of all this is the next revision of the LFG Tool should allow the lister to SET and LOCK the dungeon path that will be available and to set a minimum level so that if the viewer is below that level, they CANNOT SEE the listing to erroneously respond to it.

Something like this is already a problem with the current tool. If I’m on my low level alt, I cannot see the listing of coe or arah for example. They should remove all the level restriction when just viewing the listing.

AntiGw.9367

So right – but sadly the “anti-elitist” people won’t have that.

Not just by anti-elitist people. The devs themselves explicitly stated that “forced join” is intentional, and explained why. And I agree with them, it makes the tool more convenient overall.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Something like this is already a problem with the current tool. If I’m on my low level alt, I cannot see the listing of coe or arah for example.

In my mind that’s a good thing. Get on the character you’re gonna use, rather than joining from a lowbie and making the rest of us wait. If you aren’t ready to go, you aren’t ready to go.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Siphaed.9235

Something like this is already a problem with the current tool. If I’m on my low level alt, I cannot see the listing of coe or arah for example.

In my mind that’s a good thing. Get on the character you’re gonna use, rather than joining from a lowbie and making the rest of us wait. If you aren’t ready to go, you aren’t ready to go.

Well, that’s another issue entirely. I wouldn’t mind getting someone who’s passing the time LFGing by just leveling an alt. It takes all of 2 minutes to logout to the character screen and select your level 80. However, there is an overall issue with people going into the LFG system like they’re ready for a dungeon, only to ask for 5-10 minutes to let the dog out/put the kids to bed/watch an episode of LOST or whatever just after joining a group. THAT itself is a poor state of not being ready.

“LFG” should be read as “LFG-RTG”, for Looking For Group – Ready To Go .

What really irks me on the whole “not reading description” crowd, is that these people are getting slapped into other parties. I feel sorry for those parties. Basically it’s people that cannot extend the 5-10sec of their time to properly read grouping instructions; which begs the question of whether they can properly communicate group tactics within the dungeons they do get into. It’s almost like it’s a whole bunch of Leroy Jenkins running around (yes, I know it was a set up ploy and wasn’t real, but the situational similarities still pander to the reference).

Posted by: Kolisch.4691

Kolisch.4691

This has happened to me a few times. Most recently when me and a buddy were looking to wrap up the night with HoTW P1. We were two, put up clearly that we were going for Path 1, then 3 guys came in suddenly and merged with us and said “No, we’re going P3, we haven’t done it.” I don’t know what’s wrong with people. You join, you follow where the initial group is going, not takeover the group. I think the group description that people joined should be printed extra super large permanently while the group is together… to the point where any change of plans will make them look dumb when the big words stare back at them.

HoT = Grind Wars 2
HoT = WvW players forced to PVE

(edited by Kolisch.4691)