LGBT Friendly?

LGBT Friendly?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yahkov.8217

Yahkov.8217

Ok, going to go on a little rant here…

I can’t even tell you how many times I have seen this phrase “LGBT Friendly” in a guild recruitment post in-game. First off, I have never seen a guild act in a way that is not friendly to the LGBT community. We are all playing a fantasy game with wizards and dragons and you think someone will care if you are gay? Second, what are you even doing talking about sexual preference? What, do you just join a fractal group and tell them, “oh by the way I am a homosexual.” You don’t see Muslims joining fractals saying, “I prayed to Allah so we will win this fractal.” They don’t care and nor do they probably want to hear about your business whether you are gay or straight or even what your religion is. And these LGBT Friendly guilds are the most hypocritical. If you will allow some guy talk about how he is gay and likes men, can I as a Christian talk about Jesus and how He is the Christ? I see a lot of “LGBT Friendly” and never have I seen “Muslim Friendly.” Pretty sure Muslims arent exactly treated the best either. Here is a simple fix for those guilds, if you want to keep out religion and politics for the sake of preventing arguments, how about you keep out sexual preferences as well. If religious and political discussions don’t belong on a video game, I highly doubt who you lay in bed with does.

Whether you are Christian, Muslim, Jew, Gay, Straight, Black, Male, Female, whatever…we have a common goal and that’s to have fun playing this game. Don’t talk to me about racism, religion, your sexual preferences, or how it sucks being a woman or man and we are good to go. Because at the end of the day, you are just some random person from somewhere on this earth who I don’t know, I really don’t care to get to know, nor will I stay in contact with you when I quit the game. I am sure I am not alone in this.

EDIT: If a guild uses this LGBT disclaimer as a way to show people that they are an LGBT guild, that makes sense. If the disclaimer is to show others that they are “tolerant,” I find that to potentially be hypocritical.

(edited by Yahkov.8217)

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well, they sort of have to have that disclaimer.

Do you have any idea how many boys run around as girls in Tyria?!

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

Just search “Guid Wars 2 homophobic guild” on google and you’ll see that, in fact, stating that your lgbt+ friendly can be important. I’m friends with a guy who was kicked out of his guild because he was talking about his boyfriend in the TS.
Some people are, unlike you, interested in making real life friends with people in their guild. Don’t assume that everybody thinks like you.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

My interpretation of this tag is that people in this guild are talking about real life stuff like their sexual preferences. Maybe it’s even a regular topic. And if you don’t want to chat about these things while playing the game, this guild is not a good place for you.

So yes, thank you for the disclaimer.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: sakura.7961

sakura.7961

“I don’t care about your sexual orientation therefore I will write a whole essay about how much I don’t care about it.” — OP

More violets, less violence.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Emprer.7256

Emprer.7256

“I don’t care about your sexual orientation therefore I will write a whole essay about how much I don’t care about it.” — OP

This. Let people do what they want if you don’t care. Why the rant?

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

I am not assuming everybody thinks like me. I am confident that I am not alone in that I am not interested in making real life friends. That’s unfortunate for your friend, but I bet you 400g that if I went around joining guilds saying I am a Christian and talk about Jesus, I would get kicked out of way more guilds than your friend who talks about his boyfriend.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Maikimaik.1974

Maikimaik.1974

I am not assuming everybody thinks like me. I am confident that I am not alone in that I am not interested in making real life friends. That’s unfortunate for your friend, but I bet you 400g that if I went around joining guilds saying I am a Christian and talk about Jesus, I would get kicked out of way more guilds than your friend who talks about his boyfriend.

You’re comparing two different things. If you would just join a Guild TS and you would out of nowhere start to shout your religious beliefs, yes you would get kicked out, just like somebody who randomly shouts “I’m gay I just had sex with my boyfriend” would get kicked out. But, if theres a reason to talk about your religious beliefs, nobody would kick you out.

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

You’re comparing two different things. If you would just join a Guild TS and you would out of nowhere start to shout your religious beliefs, yes you would get kicked out, just like somebody who randomly shouts “I’m gay I just had sex with my boyfriend” would get kicked out. But, if theres a reason to talk about your religious beliefs, nobody would kick you out.

I see what you are saying.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

People want to find and play with like-minded individuals.

Thus Guilds want their members to feel fitting in. Regardless of religion, sexuality or other traits.

I mean, I find it sillier people only want experienced players or only players who just represent that their guild.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

Most homosexuals in the game do not make a big deal out of it. They play the game like anyone else. Some made bad experiences with being more open about themselves, some did not. Nothing unique to ones sexual preference.

Besides, many of those LGBT friendly guilds, like a big part of the actual movement, are filled with people who join up to seek attention. Those who feel the need show off how understanding and open they are any chance they get.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Emprer.7256

Emprer.7256

Just because you don’t see homophobic behavior, it doesn’t mean it is unlikely to happen, especially when the subject is not brought up frequently. The disclaimer allows people in the guild to speak freely on the subject, and that gives expectations for people who aren’t within the category. It is there for a reason. The same applies to other subjects. You are more than welcome to find/make a guild that’s christian friendly and not get kicked talking about jesus all day.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Besides, many of those LGBT friendly guilds, like a big part of the actual movement, are filled with people who join up to seek attention.

I am sure everyone who has made The Dreamer can relate.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Personally, I keep all IRL matters out of the game. I don’t really care what you are – who you are in-game is more important to me.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

Just because you don’t see homophobic behavior, it doesn’t mean it is unlikely to happen, especially when the subject is not brought up frequently. The disclaimer allows people in the guild to speak freely on the subject, and that gives expectations for people who aren’t within the category. It is there for a reason. The same applies to other subjects. You are more than welcome to find/make a guild that’s christian friendly and not get kicked talking about jesus all day.

If the disclaimer is to show players that this is a guild that talks about LGBT, fine…makes sense. If a guild uses it as a disclaimer to show that they are “tolerant,” I think that is very hypocritical. If a guild wants to present themselves as a tolerant guild and decide that the gay man can talk about his boyfriend, they are hypocrites if they won’t allow the Muslim to talk about Allah, or the Republican to talk about Trump.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: jan sobi.6485

jan sobi.6485

I can’t even tell you how many times I have seen this phrase “LGBT Friendly” in a guild recruitment post in-game. First off, I have never seen a guild act in a way that is not friendly to the LGBT community. We are all playing a fantasy game with wizards and dragons and you think someone will care if you are gay? Second, what are you even doing talking about sexual preference? What, do you just join a fractal group and tell them, “oh by the way I am a homosexual.” You don’t see Muslims joining fractals saying, “I prayed to Allah so we will win this fractal.” They don’t care and nor do they probably want to hear about your business whether you are gay or straight or even what your religion is. And these LGBT Friendly guilds are the most hypocritical. If you will allow some guy talk about how he is gay and likes men, can I as a Christian talk about Jesus and how He is the Christ? I see a lot of “LGBT Friendly” and never have I seen “Muslim Friendly.” Pretty sure Muslims arent exactly treated the best either. Here is a simple fix for those guilds, if you want to keep out religion and politics for the sake of preventing arguments, how about you keep out sexual preferences as well. If religious and political discussions don’t belong on a video game, I highly doubt who you lay in bed with does.

Whether you are Christian, Muslim, Jew, Gay, Straight, Black, Male, Female, whatever…we have a common goal and that’s to have fun playing this game. Don’t talk to me about racism, religion, your sexual preferences, or how it sucks being a woman or man and we are good to go. Because at the end of the day, you are just some random person from somewhere on this earth who I don’t know, I really don’t care to get to know, nor will I stay in contact with you when I quit the game. I am sure I am not alone in this.

Totally agree!
I pray the moderators not to consider my report (mistake clicking the icon)

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

Personally, I keep all IRL matters out of the game. I don’t really care what you are – who you are in-game is more important to me.

And this is exactly what I believe what would make for a much better in-game community. Then again, just personal opinion as this entire thread is just my personal opinion. When people talk about real life stuff they end up arguing. Every guild has seen it. That’s why I think it’s best to just keep these matters to yourself, your religion, you sexual preference, etc.

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

Totally agree!
I pray the moderators not to consider my report (mistake clicking the icon)

Well, thankfully I didn’t break any of the rules. I doubt your report will go far. If it does, that will only show you that this game is extremely biased.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I recently kicked someone from my guild for making homophobic comments in the guild discord chat. I don’t tolerate that kitten and never will. However, I don’t feel an overwhelming need to say my guild is LGBT friendly, though I have no problem with other guilds saying it.

There are simply a lot of people who live in alternate live styles who never know where abuse might come from. Saying you won’t be abused here isn’t a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.

And since it’s not breaking any rules I don’t know why we need a post bashing the practice.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I’ll make a prediction: this thread will get closed soon. As Yakhov says, its quite civilised so far, but I predict griefers will soon arive.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

LGBT Friendly?

Yahkov.8217

I recently kicked someone from my guild for making homophobic comments in the guild discord chat. I don’t tolerate that kitten and never will. However, I don’t feel an overwhelming need to say my guild is LGBT friendly, though I have no problem with other guilds saying it.

There are simply a lot of people who live in alternate live styles who never know where abuse might come from. Saying you won’t be abused here isn’t a bad thing as far as I’m concerned.

And since it’s not breaking any rules I don’t know why we need a post bashing the practice.

I see the practice as having the tendency to be hypocritical. I have used this example several times now, if someone can be openly gay…can others e openly Christian? Openly Republican? Can they openly disagree with the act of homosexuality? The guilds I am talking about are the guilds that display themselves to be “tolerant.”

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I don’t see the issue. If you’re annoyed by seeing these issues mentioned in-game, avoid those guilds.

Live and let live, eh. We’re pretty much all hypocrites in some way.

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: saerni.2584

saerni.2584

Here’s a thought. People are free to make guilds that set standards as to how guild members treat one another.

Another thought. From the perspective of a gay player there are things everyone does which they feel excluded from. Saying “my boyfriend” or “my girlfriend” or “my husband” or “my wife.” For a heterosexual guild person saying these things don’t mark them as different. For a LGBT person they do. Coming out as a gay person isn’t just a singular moment. It is every time you say a word like him or her which identifies you as gay. Knowing a guild will not react poorly to learning someone is LGBT matters to the people who are LGBT.

As I pointed out above, this really isn’t about you.

Northern Shiverpeaks (NSP)
Thief (Daredevil)
Commandant of Pistol-Dagger and Apex Predator

LGBT Friendly?

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Identity politics are paramount. Nowadays, it doesn’t matter who you are so much as what you are. It isn’t just people virtue signaling; there are people of minorities who legitimately feel ostracized and isolated merely for not seeing their own represented.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.