LWS 3 Trinket farm too grindy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Terrowyn.4728

Terrowyn.4728

Hi guys! So, I know that in any mmo, there is going to be some degree of grind, but I was wondering if anet has said anything about making the grind for trinkets a bit better. I mean, yes, it doesn’t take as long as other grinds in the game, but it seems to be one of the farms in the game that a large amount of players dread.

Personally, I’m a fan of the old philosophy of “play how you want”, so I was thinking perhaps adding the ability to exchange pristine fractal relics for Living World Season 3 trinkets for maps that you own would be a pretty interesting idea to help reduce the grind for PvE players, because PvP and WvW players can exchange tokens for trinkets already.

What do you guys think?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

These are the BiS trinkets which allow you to choose the stats that you want. I’d say that the amount of grind for them is reasonable and you can get a set almost every 30 days from just gathering from the home instance nodes.

Depending on the number of characters that you have, you can get them in a matters of days by doing the hearts and map bosses. Bloodstone Fen will still be slow.

Terrowyn.4728

These are the BiS trinkets which allow you to choose the stats that you want. I’d say that the amount of grind for them is reasonable and you can get a set almost every 30 days from just gathering from the home instance nodes.

Depending on the number of characters that you have, you can get them in a matters of days by doing the hearts and map bosses. Bloodstone Fen will still be slow.

According to my calculations, it’s more like 1.5 to 2 months ish for a set of trinkets from nodes alone, which is unfortunate . But the problem is that the grind is… well… boring. I agree that the amount of time is very reasonable, but it’s just extremely mindless and uninteresting. But that’s just my two cents.

(edited by Terrowyn.4728)

Posted by: Tryhard Pants.9745

Tryhard Pants.9745

I don’t think it’s grindy at all. Bitterfrost frontier is especially easy and quick.

Posted by: Jethro.9376

Jethro.9376

Well, you need to play a kitten ton of WvW to get a full set of trinkets

(edited by Jethro.9376)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

its only a grind if you make it one.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With the nodes, you get 3 of each currency/mat: ruby, wood, berry, shard, & orchid. It takes 100 orchids & 100 rubies each for a ring, which is a just over a month … without doing more than farming your own home instance. That time can be drastically reduced by even 1-2 inefficient farming runs in the relevant zone.

Help me understand how it can be any easier than that, without ANet simply giving them away.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Many exotic trinkets are available in the trading post for under two gold. Level 400 jeweler crafting takes 30-35 gold and can craft trinkets for any stats.

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

The issue is RNG on the nodes. I actually had a day where I did EVERY node in Ember Bay and got 1 (one) petrified log. 1 log from harvesting every single stump in the zone is not just bad RNG but bad design (yes I run with the gathering guild boost).

That said, the grind isn’t bad. You can get an amulet and ring from Draconis-not painful. You can get a backpiece, ring, and accessory from Bitterfrost-stupidly easy. You can infuse the rings so getting 2 from one zone is doable (1 infused, 1 not-still unique items) The only reason to do any zone other than Draconis and Bitterfrost is for a second accessory and unbound magic.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: zoomborg.9462

zoomborg.9462

No its not too grindy. Getting end game gear of your choice for doing nothing but daily gathering and some hearts is easy.

U need to have a base to even make an assumption if something is too grindy. For example, b4 LW3 maps existed u could only get these ascended trinkets through raids and nothing else, which means weeks upon weeks of full clears.THAT IS GRINDY.

So no, getting asc trinkets atm is not grindy but rather piece of cake.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

If you just play the maps frequently, it’s not hard at all.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

For me I don’t find it too grindy. I can pretty quickly get what I need with my nodes in my HI and hanging out in Bitterfrost.

Ayrilana.1396

The issue is RNG on the nodes. I actually had a day where I did EVERY node in Ember Bay and got 1 (one) petrified log. 1 log from harvesting every single stump in the zone is not just bad RNG but bad design (yes I run with the gathering guild boost).

That said, the grind isn’t bad. You can get an amulet and ring from Draconis-not painful. You can get a backpiece, ring, and accessory from Bitterfrost-stupidly easy. You can infuse the rings so getting 2 from one zone is doable (1 infused, 1 not-still unique items) The only reason to do any zone other than Draconis and Bitterfrost is for a second accessory and unbound magic.

Other than Draconis Mon and Bitterfrost, I never bothered with the maps’ nodes. I just did the boss events that dropped the currency and the hearts to exchange karma for them.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

OP, you’re right that it’s grindy. However, I’m not sure it is TOO grindy. I’ve found that I “grind” my way through Bitterfrost every day anyhow; doing the berry nodes is really not-so-grindy, to me.

But, I certainly appreciate your opinion. It shows there is a spectrum of players.

Terrowyn.4728

OP, you’re right that it’s grindy. However, I’m not sure it is TOO grindy. I’ve found that I “grind” my way through Bitterfrost every day anyhow; doing the berry nodes is really not-so-grindy, to me.

But, I certainly appreciate your opinion. It shows there is a spectrum of players.

Yeaaa, It’s not that grindy. Just wish it wasn’t so boring

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

Play WvW. Get 1 trinket for 2 weeks of 5 hour a day gameplay. No grind just fun… still suck tho.
Play the game for 1000 h. Receive 1-2 ascended armor boxes.
Play daily fractals gain 10+ rings per 200 fractal runs. No grind
Play daily PvP for bloodstone rubies track. Get swappable set in month or two.

Quite a lot ways to obtain trinkets I say, even without gathering LS3. Some good, some bad.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

no its not too grindy ^^

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

It’s definitely grindy but I’ve never considered it too grindy. How grind someone finds it is very subjective and depends various factors.

Also, I see a lot of people arguing that it’s not grindy because it’s easy. That’s really an invalid correlation. Something can be super easy and still be super grindy.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Many exotic trinkets are available in the trading post for under two gold. Level 400 jeweler crafting takes 30-35 gold and can craft trinkets for any stats.

The cost of level 400 jeweler is less than half of that.

Other than Draconis Mon and Bitterfrost, I never bothered with the maps’ nodes. I just did the boss events that dropped the currency and the hearts to exchange karma for them.

Bloodstone is not that bad either since they are all clustered together.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

I averaged 1 full set (amulet, 2 rings, 2 earrings, and a backpack) per week in about 2 hours per evening. I got a total of 11 full sets and 3 partial sets (they already had the rest). At the time there were only the first 3 episodes of LS3. You can do the above on only 2 chars total, but since I had more, I camped them in strategic locations.

Ruthlessly cherry pick the zones. Some zone emphasize killing certain bosses and gathering a few nodes, others gather nodes and skip bosses. Adapt to what the zone gives.

Use karma to purchase gathering tools that offer UM bonus (average about 2) for any and all gathering clicks, not just zone token (rubies, petrified, berries, etc) harvesting.

Do the selected bosses that offer bonus tokens in the zone, avoiding all others. . i.e Ember banks = wurm gives 3 petrified wood for killing, Karka takes time, gives junk loot, and gives nada tokens so dosen’t further the collection cause. Learn boss token drops on all zones and act accordingly.

Run a node route that collects reliably available nodes in each zone, avoiding traveling long distances to seek to pick up a node here or there.

Run the quick dailies in each zone., avoid the ones that take time. Blood stone fen can get 20 or more rubies daily by doing 3 dailies, and the double jade (2) and the final champ (4) of the Jade construct series and gathering only nodes you run across on the way to those fights or while waiting near a fight area.

Run a 2nd character behind the first, cherry picking again. This will reach the zone limit faster than trying to scrounge every one in the zone with one toon. Watch the chat and go to the bonus bosses immediately. You can chase nodes anytime, bosses don’t wait. Learn the boss repeat times, note the IP, and log your 2nd toon in for the re occurance of the event rather than getting one more node with the first one.

(edited by Michael.9403)

Ayrilana.1396

The cost of level 400 jeweler is less than half of that.

Bloodstone is not that bad either since they are all clustered together.

I found it wasn’t when I attempted to farm it across many characters but then that’s just from my experience.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Many? O_o

I think you hit the limit with just two.

Ayrilana.1396

Many? O_o

This was before they capped it.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I’m content with how the newer maps offer their currencies for asc trinket acquisition, ASIDE from BSF due to it not being farmable in any other form once done. You’re stuck with doing reward tracks thereafter albeit the trinkets themselves are stat-swappable so perhaps the grind was intentional…

NOTES (assuming boosters, buffs, banners etc):

• Bloodstone Fen (Blood Rubies) farmable once on a toon per day. Average yeild = anywhere from 4-11+ Blood Rubies. Absolutely painful. These trinkets are the only ones so far that you can stat-swap for 100 Unbound Magic which makes them highly desirable but grindy. Do it once a day if you’re determined but I’ve been sticking to reward tracks which give 50 at the end. Do the dailies for Blood Rubies.
  • Lake Doric (Jade Shards) farmable up to 50 nodes on account per day. Average yield = 19-22 Jade Shards. Would recommend for relatively easy amulet to obtain.
  • Ember Bay (Petrified Wood) heart quests are farmable per toon. There are 5 heart quests. Each vendor offers a bundle of (3) Petrified Wood. One of the heart quests is, personally, too much of a hassle (mursaat fortress) therefore I only do 4 quests = 12 Petrified Wood (does not include gathering from nodes since they seem to be similar to Bloodstone Fen but if done once it’s around 25 Petrified Wood in total initially then you’re forced to simply do heart quests for the wood).
    Bitterfrost Frontier (Fresh Winterberries) farmable per toon per day. Use as many toons as you desire for maximum yield. Average yield = 44-54+ Fresh Winterberries. By far the easiest + fastest way to acquire Unbound Magic (if you have abundant toons) since you can consume the winterberries and farming the nodes grants UM. Undergoing this method you will have your asc trinkets from BFF map very fast.

I’ve chucked up a few farm route guides on my channel if you are having trouble finding an easy route to take regarding map currency like Winterberries. Here’s an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NKohn6t83o

Hope that helps.

Posted by: Michael.9403

Michael.9403

Many? O_o

My finding also.

I camped 2 per zone in the 1st 3 LW3 episode zones and had at it. (the other zones weren’t available at the time I did the above mentioned gathering, and I have enough tokens for another full set on some wannabe lowbie

If they are not farming the dailies and bonus bosses, particularly Bloodstone Fen, (Justicar, double Jade, Jade Champ) it will take a long time. watch what is going on to skip to the bosses when they are up. It’s about 5 days to 100 rubies doing that.

(edited by Michael.9403)

Posted by: Stephen.1207

Stephen.1207

Just go into pvp and set the reward track to one of the new map in L.S.3 u get what u need that way to get them a lot faster then gathering if u not good at pvp u stil get it win or lose

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

If LWS3 trinkets are already considered grindy I really don’t want to hear peoples opinion on armor and weapons.

No, taking 2-3 days per item is not to grindy. Less if you go for winterberries and have enough characters. Especially if those items are best in slot and some of them on par with legendarys (the stat switching on bloodstone trinkets).

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

They are not. It is the easiest way to get them.

All 5 maps give you unbound magic, and the trinkets are more or less similar so it more or less comes from just playing the maps.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Just one word: Yes.

P.S. I have eleven characters equipped, some with more than one set, and again, yes, that was a grind I am glad is over. Of course, no one forced me, so…

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I’m a big fan of play it your way. In my most recent period of playing GW2 I went through a 3 month period of daily play without gaining a single mastery point. I’d say play it your way is an excellent idea that departed fairly early in the course of the game’s evolution.

Here are some good ideas for a future game: