Lack of Change and Improvements - Ailing GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

What once was the golden child of new-age MMO’s, Guild Wars 2, is now one of my least played games. And it’s not only me.

Why? There are several (I’ll only cover 2) huge reasons that I think players have become unhappy with the game and the company running it.

1. Implementation of Lost Shores event: What some may consider the deathblow to the future of Guild Wars 2 was the most current Lost Shores event. A one-time, mass zerg lagfest was rewarded with a pretty high chance of getting a precursor item; however, if you disconnected prior to the finish, which many did, you chances were null. Additionally, those who had been trying to sell precursors prior had their profits slashed.

LS event also unfortunately introduced the worst idea and fragmented system in the game – Ascended gear – Which not only was against the basic philosophy of the gear treadmill system in GW2 but was also implemented in the worst way – “levels” of FotM. Essentially splitting players depending on their prior progress, this deterred players who tried to log on only to find that they had been left in the dust.

2. No regard for Community Ideas: There have been so many issues with the game addressed by the community, oftentimes in a very constructive and passionate way. However, instead of seeing the very creators of the game communicate and talk with the players who want to help IMPROVE the game, we see posts/threads being locked, closed, and very LIMITED interaction with the community as a whole.

This is evident in MANY areas and I will only touch on a few that I have personally seen.

Professions- First would be the enraged rangers who had their shortbow weapon “stealth nerfed” only to be left without answers. Necromancers who desperately need looking at their traits and skills because of BUGS and CORE design flaws affecting the class. Thread after thread in the Guardian forums because LACK of a viable ranged weapon and weakness with weapon viability. Terrible solution for the THIEF problem (rage about pistol whip) and flat out damage REDUCTION instead of taking a step back to reassess what else could be changed with the skill.

Dungeons- Constantly bugged events for the ARAH dungeon (one of the most fantastic/elite dungeons in the game) not only for getting in, but bugs relating to receiving completion and REWARD for the dungeon (path 1, looking at you.) Super-buffs to SE paths that make the road nigh-impossible to complete because of negligent changes to respawns as a hotfix.

So many things have been addressed by the community; glaring issues if you ask me, and ANet has unfortunately decided to put this on the backburner and instead release an event like LS (which the game simply did not need) and implement cash-shop antics.

I really did fall in love with this game, and unfortunately won’t be playing any more. I do thank ANet for the experience thus far; it was more than worth my $60. But the sheer potential that was lost because of how certain aspects of the game were handled is disappointing.

Say farewell my Guardian Platinum! The mists await!

Attachments:

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

tl;dr by though really did you have to write that much to basically tell us your leaving because you have a problem with a perceived lack of change from the developers… who are busy figuring out ways to improve the game… well by then glad you had fun but didn’t have fun… _

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Your character looks almost like mine!
That being said: Give the game time to improve, I do the same.

George Steel.1804

tl;dr by though really did you have to write that much to basically tell us your leaving because you have a problem with a perceived lack of change from the developers… who are busy figuring out ways to improve the game… well by then glad you had fun but didn’t have fun… _

I decided to write so much because a game with endless potential was, in my eyes, driven into the ground. It’s not only a perceived lack of change, it’s a real one; and if you had read my post, there are many, many good ideas floating around that were created by the very community who loves the game that should be looked at. But nothing is happening.

Anways, thanks for your well thought-out response.

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: EndlessDreamer.6780

EndlessDreamer.6780

Given that most, if not all of your concerns were addressed in the AMA?

See you next time Space Cowboy.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

The game is only 3 months old. You expect too much. Goodbye.

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

Honestly the game isn’t even a year old I would understand better if it had been out for a year or two… its like expecting a one year old to know math this type of stuff takes time and patience.

basically things take time if it hasn’t changed in after one year of being out then that is when you should worry and consider leaving.

George Steel.1804

@omega

I just want to thank you for also demonstrating good manners and representing the community in a positive way. People like you are another reason why I won’t be missing GW2 too much

Platinum – Guardian
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

It’s been barely 3 months. It takes a bit of time to test and then put in improvements. They just can’t wave a magic wand at it.

Posted by: Carltonbanks.1754

Carltonbanks.1754

LOTS of EMPHASIS on CERTAIN words

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

You should go play with that guy and his doctor friend.

(edited by Reaver.9256)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

What once was the golden child of new-age MMO’s, Guild Wars 2, is now one of my least played games. And it’s not only me.

Why? There are several (I’ll only cover 2) huge reasons that I think players have become unhappy with the game and the company running it.

1. Implementation of Lost Shores event: What some may consider the deathblow to the future of Guild Wars 2 was the most current Lost Shores event. A one-time, mass zerg lagfest was rewarded with a pretty high chance of getting a precursor item; however, if you disconnected prior to the finish, which many did, you chances were null. Additionally, those who had been trying to sell precursors prior had their profits slashed.

LS event also unfortunately introduced the worst idea and fragmented system in the game – Ascended gear – Which not only was against the basic philosophy of the gear treadmill system in GW2 but was also implemented in the worst way – “levels” of FotM. Essentially splitting players depending on their prior progress, this deterred players who tried to log on only to find that they had been left in the dust.

2. No regard for Community Ideas: There have been so many issues with the game addressed by the community, oftentimes in a very constructive and passionate way. However, instead of seeing the very creators of the game communicate and talk with the players who want to help IMPROVE the game, we see posts/threads being locked, closed, and very LIMITED interaction with the community as a whole.

This is evident in MANY areas and I will only touch on a few that I have personally seen.

Professions- First would be the enraged rangers who had their shortbow weapon “stealth nerfed” only to be left without answers. Necromancers who desperately need looking at their traits and skills because of BUGS and CORE design flaws affecting the class. Thread after thread in the Guardian forums because LACK of a viable ranged weapon and weakness with weapon viability. Terrible solution for the THIEF problem (rage about pistol whip) and flat out damage REDUCTION instead of taking a step back to reassess what else could be changed with the skill.

Dungeons- Constantly bugged events for the ARAH dungeon (one of the most fantastic/elite dungeons in the game) not only for getting in, but bugs relating to receiving completion and REWARD for the dungeon (path 1, looking at you.) Super-buffs to SE paths that make the road nigh-impossible to complete because of negligent changes to respawns as a hotfix.

So many things have been addressed by the community; glaring issues if you ask me, and ANet has unfortunately decided to put this on the backburner and instead release an event like LS (which the game simply did not need) and implement cash-shop antics.

I really did fall in love with this game, and unfortunately won’t be playing any more. I do thank ANet for the experience thus far; it was more than worth my $60. But the sheer potential that was lost because of how certain aspects of the game were handled is disappointing.

Say farewell my Guardian Platinum! The mists await!

Don’t forget the posts upon posts of the hardly touched since BWE3 glaring problems in the engineer class that have been poo pooed as non issues by the bug squashers working on this class.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

This game is like a ginger :it has no sole and that is the issue. It doesnt have a direction or vision and the guiding principles the devs had before launch have been tossed out in favour of greed.

When they decide to go in a direction it might get better but seeing how ascend gear was implemented leaves me with no hope at all in this team.

Good news is you can always check back later unless you got a refund.

Posted by: Vinny.6924

Vinny.6924

Im deeply in love with gw2. Im going to give them some time to short this out. Please Anet, please fix this game. There are so many problems atm.

No more one time events. We want our content fixed before more is released.

Commander Ahria – Warrior – Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Alice.8694

Alice.8694

What once was the golden child of new-age MMO’s, Guild Wars 2, is now one of my least played games. And it’s not only me. snip

You have a lot of misconceptions, you also seem to be expecting more than is humanely presentable.

Allow me to explain for you.

Just after launch they split the devs into teams with the intention of progressing in as many areas at possible at a reasonable pace. They even make a blog post about it, which I am sure most people ignored since it didn’t contain anything they could rant about.

This is why pvp and pve content is coming out before everything has been fixed. To put it simply, it’s easier to make new content than fix the current content. So the teams working solely on the monthly content are easily out performing the debugging team.
As one of the level designers for pvp pointed out, designing new maps is easy compared to coding complex systems.

This is the best solution, they need to keep putting out monthly content because a… they said they would and b… it keeps the GW2 world relevant and active. They also need to keep dealing with bots, fixing bugs for classes and the world, overhauling the world to have better scaling, encounters and rewards.

You seem to be expecting them to ignore all these things and solely focus on the things you feel are most relevant. Which is not only unfair to the rest of the playerbase but also detrimental to the life of GW2.

With the 250 or so devs divided into groups to tackle the different areas of the game. This means that all problems with the game as well as introducing content are being tackled at a steady pace and fair pace

Yes some areas of the world are still broken, but the phenomenal amount of bugs that I encountered at launch are gone. The bots got handled in an overwhelming manner… They’re just gone. And we are getting, albeit buggy and rushed, new content every month as promised.

Essentially you have inhuman expectations for human developers.

(edited by Alice.8694)

Posted by: Khemizt.5104

Khemizt.5104

There is no way to improve this game. If they add new bosses they can’t add new loot because people would cry about a treadmill, and they can’t add more challenging bosses (just different mechanics) because there is no gear progression, the community ruined this game and Anets failed marketing doomed them. Anet now realizes this mistake and tried to fix it and the community went nuts, there is nothing to do now but let GW2 die out.

There is no way to keep this game fresh and fun without progression there is no progression without the treadmill, once you guys figure this out then Anet can get on with fixing gw2

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

The game is only 3 months old. You expect too much. Goodbye.

Only, it should read, you demand too much, nothing wrong with expecting and anticipating things… But again, the game is still so young, and Anet are not showing signs of not trying to fix stuff, so I think they deserve some credit and patience.

But nonetheless, I also hope to see bug fixes to dungeons, class imbalances, missing gear, etc. in the near future. Definitely that over more, new content.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season