Lack of Female Thief Armour skins :-(

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Playing the game (mostly PvE and WvWvW) and i guess 85-90% of female thieves i see are wearing the Duelist armour set (even wear it myself) which for me makes my character feel less unique which deters from my immersion.

This imho is due to the severe lack of thief-style armours that are available in the game as most seem to be catered towards Engineers/Rangers. I am sorry but i do not want my stealthy acrobatic Thief to wear a heavy trenchcoat which totally goes against my stealthy image of what i want my Thief to be.

The Character creation screen is a prime example of what i am talking about – on creation (for human) is shows you wearing the Duelist armour (tight fitting and very stealthy/acrobatic looking) while the engineer/Ranger wear more trrenchcoat-style armours. In my opinion there are only 2-3 skins that suit the thief…

Duelist – Looks like a stealthy killer – Very good but so over used as it looks the best for the image of a stealthy killer.

CoE Armour – This looks very good and i see a few wearing this (grinding for this myself)

T3 Human – Looks fantastic but only the super rich need apply

Order of Whispers – This has me confused… The LIGHT armour looks very Thief-like while the medium armour looks like it belongs to a caster class (skirt/fancy top)

As stated, these are just my opinions but things like how my char looks are very important to my immersion and making me connect to my character and every thief wearing the only decent (Duelist) armour makes me look less unique.

Other thoughts?

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

there is a lack of decent armors in general. but hopefully in the future there will come more.

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

I don’t know about that in regards to the whisper pieces, just gotta mix and match.

Using the chest piece and the boots, starter hood. Will be getting the vigil pants and tier 3 gloves most likely. Not sure what i’m going to do with the shoulders though.

Attachments:

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

(edited by Arsenic Touch.7960)

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I also would like more options than Trenchcoat Mafia and Streetwalker.

Polish > hype

Budchgon.2108

Arsenic Touch Will be getting the vigil pants

I thought you could not get the clothes/armour of other orders?

Posted by: Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch.7960

Arsenic Touch Will be getting the vigil pants

I thought you could not get the clothes/armour of other orders?

I transmuted the armor and boots to white leather armor pieces (they were sitting on my ranger not being used and I wasn’t too fond of any of the armor sets for the thief cept for the duelist) and for starter items and order items, it makes the item account bound instead of soulbound. So you can mix and match. Was using engineering goggles at one point.

Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?

Dragonbrand – Level 80 – Human Ranger

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

Strangly on my engineer I was of the conclusion that the armour is too heaviy themed towards thieves, with most my medium options making me look like a rogue

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

I think the armors are put together very well but there is a lack of variety in style. Especially in leather, my ranger is sad.

Budchgon.2108

Well, as i said, i like the ‘Duelist’ but with so many other thieves wearing it i find i’m just one of many as opposed to unique

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Well, that’s just because you all share the same taste or want to look like the same “stereotype” of thief
Also, because most people just don’t mix and match. Heck, even my guildmates are continously thrown by how nice my necro looks and what kind of set I’m wearing – because I’m not wearing one set, but a mixture of several.

I agree, though, that most sets in each of the armor classes tend to favour a specific kind of stereotype/style.

Polka will never die

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Thieves are generally rough looking characters who wear rough looking clothing.

Budchgon.2108

Well, mixing and matching is great with light armour but putting on a trenchcoat onto the Duelist legs totally changes the image of a stealthy thief…

Posted by: Ryltair.2857

Ryltair.2857

I agree with the OP. Most medium armour consists of a trenchcoat and a mask. Furthermore, there are very few armour sets that don’t contain some form of skirt, even the male varieties.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

the medium armor are the less awfull in this game.

Light armor are crap and freaking ugly except 2-3set
heavy armor = can of food except 1-2set.

Armor design in GW2 have so far 96% who have a more than ugly design. ( for female )

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

HotW’s Kodan armor looks amazing with a hood on. CoE’s Inquest armor is also a very nice armor set with a very nice rune set to accompany it.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Lack of female armor? At least females get Thief armor. Males get 0. ;/

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

in general all medium armor all long coat and all female rangers and thieves look like tomboys. The only feminine medium armors are T2 Silvari, T3 Human and the duelist set. The whisperer is reasonable, but also longcoat.

Posted by: AerictheBoss.9172

AerictheBoss.9172

Theres a general lack of armors period.

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

I’ve never really understood the appeal of halter tops on any female character in any game. We are fighting a war, we don’t have time to sashay around displaying our doodlebobbers, you pervs. Give us some good old Agent Scully trenchcoats!

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Budchgon.2108

I have seen a lot (and i mean a hell of a lot) of Assassins creed looking players…
i saw 5 last night and fought against another 2 …

Yeah i like the COE armour, just need to run the dungeon for it

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

I’ve never really understood the appeal of halter tops on any female character in any game. We are fighting a war, we don’t have time to sashay around displaying our doodlebobbers, you pervs. Give us some good old Agent Scully trenchcoats!

Seconded. Did any of you realize that the reason why Asura and Charr have no female armor sets is that every. single. female. (light.) armor. in the game is designed around showing off the Characters “boobies”? And even the heavy and medium armor sets are shaped to show off or draw looks towards the chest. All of them.
So don’t go off complaining about the females looking like tomboys :P

Polka will never die

Posted by: TabMorte.5297

TabMorte.5297

Order of Whispers is really nice I think. The t2 human medium armor isn’t too bad either, I wore it from 60-80 on my Ranger though I don’t think I have any pictures handy of that.

My engineer is wearing t1 Norn armor too which I rather like as far as mediums go.

You can also go to the PvP locker in the Mists and start playing around in combos of different pieces from different sets. My characters are all in bits and pieces of different sets that way.

Attachments:

Golemancy 101: total and complete catastrophic
failure is still a monumental success, assuming
losses remain within acceptable parameters.

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

I completely agree. I go further and say that 90% of the Medium Armor in the game is really only a proper match for Engineers. I found the choices for my Ranger to be almost as limiting as my choices for my thief.

For my Human Female Thief, I decided I didn’t want to be stuck with Duelist and decided to just go with the Gemshop medium armor. Yeah, it’s based on GW1 Ranger Armor, but it’s the best non-duelist set for those looking for a thief appropriate look. I do mix and match a few pieces for variety, but the chest, leg and gloves from the gem store set are my mainstay.

My Ranger is a Norn and I’ve mixed and matched from a number of sources, including the Norn Medium Racial armor to come up with a look that… well, doesn’t really look much like a Ranger, but it is a fairly unique look in for the game. My Ranger is focused on Melee and I’ve had a few people who missed my pet (I run with Owl and Raven, so some seem to think the pet is a mini) ask “what are you”?

Anyway, yes, we need a lot more Thief (and Ranger) appropriate armor in the game. It would be nice if we could get a few new recipes with some new looks, on top of any that are available through more difficult to obtain means.

(I also agree on the Whispers Medium Armor. It almost seems like they accidentally swapped the medium light armor skins, but by the time they realized it, it was too late to fix it).

In general, the variety is lacking in all three armor classes and there are too many horrible sets for a game that otherwise has such a high focus on artistic and visual quality. I think the community has been pretty clear about what styles they feel are desperately lacking. It would be nice if they would go out and actively recruit a couple new character artists who have a proven portfolio in the desired styles.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Medium armor is especially lacking. I have transmuted my ranger’s level 80 exotics that I was so excited about having made into level 20 armor, because at least it’s just drab rather than obnoxiously hideous.

(Whoever decided to inflict that bell-shaped skirt on every newly level 80 leatherworker was just flat-out cruel…)

TabMorte.5297

I think a big problem is that the Ranger, Engineer and Thief are such different classes. With light they’re all spell casters, with heavy they’re all fighters, so it’s easier to make a broad range of armors that suits them all. With the middle classes they’re a hodge podge.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Hm.

I don’t think my thief looks like a ranger, engineer, or “tomboyish”.

I’ve since gotten away from the shortbow, which helps even more.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/26127/gw007.jpg

Yes, it’s a trenchcoat. I understand that it doesn’t appeal to everyone, but I like the Matrix quality.

My beef is with male medium armor. At least the female trench-coats look tailored to fit. Almost all of the male armor is weirdly bulky and over-layered.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I’ve noticed this A LOT with medium armor classes, my engineer has the same problem. It seems like all the medium armors are made for Rangers, tons of gear that contributes to a sniper, gunman, woodsman, or hunter look; which is generally the styles you are going for as a ranger. But then there is almost nothing that looks like it belongs on an engineer or a thief.

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

I want something that looks mechanical for my engineer

At least asura racial looks somewhat like it. I’m not sure why Zojja armor is light armor when she’s an engineer.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Some games it’s easier to look good than others. A level 12 Tera character looks more exotic than anything you can get in GW2, cuz it has that kind of style.

I feel like with GW2 with all 3 of my main characters, I go through the choices and don’t find many that appeal to me.

Maybe it’s a grass-is-greener thing, but playing a human male, I feel like the females at least look kind of ok in comparison, at least not as bulky. But honestly the reason I only have 1/4 female characters is their art didn’t appeal to me.

If females had an option for a Mord Sith outfit, I would quickly get it and buy a sex-change for my guy.

TabMorte.5297

At least asura racial looks somewhat like it. I’m not sure why Zojja armor is light armor when she’s an engineer.

The CoE Dungeon armor would probably work for you then.

Ahlen.7591

The CoE Dungeon armor would probably work for you then.

The shoulder looks incredibly stupid though lol

But yeah the chest is nice, combined with asura cultural 2

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Wait what? Zojja is an elementalist. Yes she has a golem, but ALL asuras have golems, not just golemancers and engineers.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: tasaunders.3746

tasaunders.3746

We are fighting a war, we don’t have time to sashay around displaying our doodlebobbers, you pervs.

Doodlebobbers – Best word ever.

Posted by: Paarthurnax.8931

Paarthurnax.8931

I like my armor for my thief, looks like her have a good mobility, do you like my thief? <3

She is so beautiful, dont copy, k? :*

(edited by Paarthurnax.8931)

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

There is not one Engineer themed medium outfit in the game as far as i know – not one.

Ive just hit 70 on my female Asura Engineer and Im sooo fed up of looking like a butch pirate – and the only alternative is getting a ranger or thief selection – you think you have it bad OP!

Budchgon.2108

Engineer look = Karma temple armout looks very Engineery (word?)

Ahlen.7591

There is not one Engineer themed medium outfit in the game as far as i know – not one.

Ive just hit 70 on my female Asura Engineer and Im sooo fed up of looking like a butch pirate – and the only alternative is getting a ranger or thief selection – you think you have it bad OP!

I wear the prowler coat + karma shoulders/gloves and the most magnum looking pistols I can find.

It’s not engineer, but at least I can look like a cowboy.

Budchgon.2108

I’m resigned to wearing Duelist with the Wispers shoulderguard…
:-(
There is a forum post on the Thief forum with people showing off their cool armours… sadly they show their armours but NOT what armour parts/sets they are from!!!
(i have pm’d a few asking them so hopefuly will hear back from them soon)

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

Just wanted to share the medium armors I have for my Ranger.

Attachments:

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

…And my thief, since I can’t figure out how to post 2 pictures in one post.

Attachments:

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

I believe part of the problem here (and I don’t blame any of you because the way the class is designs its the obvious issue, especially the appearance of the two npcs for thieves guild) is that you treating thief = ninja/shinobi when in fact they are not the same at all.

Thieves commonly wear jackets that are big enough to hide extra money/weapons/etc. in internal pockets without their existence being obvious. Many of the outfits have this.

Also Pirates are a type of thief and there are a few piratey outfits available.

Lastly because 3 different classes use the same armor skins I feel ANet did their best to homogenize them slightly so that none of them look utterly ridiculous. This process is hardest for leather wearers because the 3 light classes are primarily robe wearers, the 2 heavy classes wear heavy armor but the 3 medium classes wear similar but sometimes very different outfits.

(edited by gaspara.4079)

Posted by: Rococo.8347

Rococo.8347

Thanks for the tips!