Lack of Long Hairstyles for Males

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blur.3465

Blur.3465

I have posted a similar thread to Norn forum, because this really bugs me a lot.
Just like the title says, there’s a huge lack of long hairstyles for males.
I, being a guy with really long hair in real life, am feeling quite down to see that I am unable to give a simple long hair to my character. I was hoping that we’d get a single long hairstyle in one of those makeover kits…but not even a simple ponytail for men.
Clipping is something which will never bother me. I’d rather pick a clippy/buggy long hairstyle over any other short hair.
Why can females have long hair and not males?
Right now, all ’’long’’ hairstyles barely even touch shoulders.
Are we going to have more hairstyles added?
I want my character to look like a real warrior, not some ‘’fancy school boy’’.
I assume many other people would be happy to see this too.

Thank you.

Feanor

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Posted by: Pip.2094

Pip.2094

Yeah these hairstyles in second bar goooo soooooo lower than shoulders height, you must be a mentor man, incredible how I could miss such long hairstyles. I would fear my character could step on his hair if I picked one of those. (Not to mention they look dreadful. Tis bit between brackets isn’t sarcasm.) #Sarcasm off.

On topic. I will never be tired to repeat how badly this game needs longer hairstyles for males. I am sick on what a mini choice we got. We have either bald, or short or a little less short hair, nothing you can call LONG HAIR. Female Norn have long hair. No one else. Which sucks.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Blur.3465

I support all your comments regarding this Pip, thank you for your support in this!
There are many guys out there with long hair, just look at all the metal bands and it’s enough to see what kind of long hair I speak of.
Only female Norn are given the right to have long hair, and apparently no one else. Heck , even female Humans have a few long hairstyles, but not a single male has decent long hair. Not even a ponytail…
The only ’’long’’ hair I can call is the Sylvari one which reminds of dreadlocks…but even that one does not cross the shoulder-length.
I’d buy 1000000000000000 gems to get a single long hair, which could go over shoulder-length, reach my character’s waist or cover the back completely.
The current ’’long’’ hairstyles are all ugly in my opinion and I am finding it too difficult to even pick one of them…

Feanor

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Yes please.

I wish all hairstyles were unisex.

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

I think you should learn what the word “shoulder” means

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I’m all for more hairstyles. But if you like long hair, I hope you don’t plan on wearing a helm as well. There’s not a single helmet that looks good on a female unless you like your women bald.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Male character/armor design is an afterthought in this game.

Posted by: calavel.6249

calavel.6249

If there is one thing I have learned from MMO’s it is to never make a male character with (too) long hair, because it will clip through every kitten armor in the game you can wear.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Sylvari males have one long hair style in the hair-kit exclusive selection. Its not much, but it is something if you really, really want a male character with long hair.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Male character/armor design is an afterthought in this game.

I second this.

Same goes with the lack of skimpy male armor :-(

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

My husband uses long hair on his main characters (usually after asking me to make them for him so they look good.) And yes, the selections aren’t “all that”.

I agree with the armor clipping issues. Happens with female hair too, particularly with shields. (In almost every game I’ve played, including this one.)

Just as a side note: during beta, the female Norn had a long braid that went down the waist. I guess it swung through armor or something because it was totally clipped by headstart into the braid you’d find on the backend of a horse hair style it has today. Complete with the now oddly out-of-place arc away from the back of the head that made sense when the hair was 3x longer.

Also: long hair on females (especially the long Norn ponytail with the metal holder up top of head) not only clips through armor, it pierces through chest, arms and weapons. Especially on casters.

Generic long hair problems that most games can’t seem to solve.

@OP: I hear your concern over needing more longer hair styles on guys and agree. Sadly, if it would ever happen, equality in clipping would also exist.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

I wish there were more shorter styles for the ladies, heh. Trade you?

Posted by: Cnoath.7946

Cnoath.7946

anything that could result in a /whip my hair back and forth emote

=not signed

[VaHo]

Posted by: Forst.5863

Forst.5863

HELL YEA!

We got 3 long hairstyles: Swept back (acceptable), surfer dude (acceptable…if you’re a surfer dude) and…let’s call it…“this evening is going to include red wine and lube”. Mostly preferred by unsavoury necromancer guys.
Plus the new one on sylvari which, if translated into normal hair for humans and norn, I would consider perfectly acceptable long hair.

So how about we get a…“normal”? Or…“curls”. Louis XIV me, yho! After all, I want to identify with my character and neither do I look like like some Navy Seal (buzz cut) nor like a shampoo model, nor like an Arabian Oil Money disco kittenbag (seriously, why did you do that)…
I’m a guy with normal long hair. Let me continue to be that online.

Posted by: Soulmyr.8094

Soulmyr.8094

There are already a couple of long hair styles available and those are not shoulder length. Shoulder length is the 5th human male option on the chart linked in the second post. Waist long hair for norn males are actually not possible if you take a look at their models. It would either clip straight into their model or it would have to stick away from the body at a very unnatural angle.
Waist long hair look wrong on a dude and should be something left in the past. Just cut the kitten thing off.

Blur.3465

Adding more hairstyles and more options would not hurt anyone. I don’t understand why some people come here to comment they don’t want long hair/more options. I, for once, don’t want short hair or semi-long hair, but I respect those who like it that way, I won’t claim them to let their hair grow, like some people claim men should not have long hair- which in my opinion is insolent from them. The current hairstyles we have for males now are all ugly in my opinion, and they hardly go over shoulders, like said above.
Having different choices is always good and it also makes us match with our characters.
GW1 had a large choice of hairstyles for each profession…yet GW2 has a more ’’advanced’’ character creation which lacks many options instead…
What I wanted for either my human or a Norn is a pic I uploaded.
Let us have more choices ANet, current choice of hairstyles is really, really small…only female Norn have a huge variety of hairstyles………….
Adding a hair length slider would be great. If I recall correctly, Vindictus had an option like this.

Attachments:

Feanor

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Clipping issues :]

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Cnoath.7946

Cnoath.7946

Ok fair enough. It would be good to have the option at least and if long hair is your thing then more power to you.

It won’t happen overnight but it will happen

[VaHo]

Posted by: Slowpoke.2749

Slowpoke.2749

A friend and I started fiddling around with the character creations on the weekend, seeing what we can come up with. Can’t seem to make a male that’s lean but not scrawny, has angular face and sports a presentable long hair.

Blur.3465

Character creation itself could do with a lot more…
It’s a new MMORPG, yet it surprises me it offers less options than older MMOs.
Male Humans could do with a lot more faces and body types…I am tired of seeing those ‘’plastic-baby-faces’’ and unnatural muscles. Male Norn could also do with more body types…they had fine body types in GW1, even if NPCs.

As for hairstyles, there truly needs to be a lot more options…I am really tired to see players with same hairstyles all the time, and the most commonly used hairstyle is the “Logan” one for Humans. In my opinion it is the best hairstyle for humans, but obviously over-used, for the sake of being the best. The straight ’’long’’ one is badly done. I dislike the fact that I cannot hide my character’s ears and they are sticking out, looking awkward. Charr, Sylvari and Asura have options to scale ears, why not humans and Norn?

I would still be more than happy to see more long (and I mean very LONG) hairstyles added for males…I want to have freedom to make character according to my taste and according to myself as well.
As I said, clipping would not bother me…it can go through shields or back items, but I would still have it.
I hope in near future we get more hairstyles and more customization options for our characters.

Feanor

Posted by: Warkupo.1025

Warkupo.1025

Longer hair generally has more clipping issues. I imagine that the hair is as long as it can be without looking ridiculous.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Female Norn have long hair and clipping issues, why can’t the guys have long hair and clipping issues?

Blur.3465

Longer hair generally has more clipping issues. I imagine that the hair is as long as it can be without looking ridiculous.

I wonder, I wonder…how come female Norn have so many long hairstyles…yet people never complain about clipping? All I heard from female Norn players was: “I am amazed with beautiful hairstyles they have!”
It’s normal that clipping exists…even Charr tails clip through armor.
Clipping would not stop me from choosing a long hairstyle, just like clipping is not stopping me from playing a Charr. It’s ridiculous and such way of thinking is limiting us greatly.
I am all up for more options and I am certain that ANet devs and designers can come up with fitting solution for this.
Give us ponytails, normal long hair, wavy long hair, curly long hair, there are so many possibilities to expand the character customization and variety of hairstyles…I am honestly tired to see so many ’’modern’’ hairstyles, looking like some ‘’top models’’ ……………

Feanor

Pip.2094

Female Norn have long hair and clipping issues, why can’t the guys have long hair and clipping issues?

This is what I wonder as well…I am starting to think that people here are baldies and would have complexes if they saw chars with too long hair >:D

\||||||/
O°v°O

Posted by: slayer.1083

slayer.1083

I want the Conan the Barbarian type hairstyle in GW2!

Michael J Sharp

Warkupo.1025

I wonder, I wonder…how come female Norn have so many long hairstyles…yet people never complain about clipping? All I heard from female Norn players was: “I am amazed with beautiful hairstyles they have!”
It’s normal that clipping exists…even Charr tails clip through armor.
Clipping would not stop me from choosing a long hairstyle, just like clipping is not stopping me from playing a Charr. It’s ridiculous and such way of thinking is limiting us greatly.
I am all up for more options and I am certain that ANet devs and designers can come up with fitting solution for this.
Give us ponytails, normal long hair, wavy long hair, curly long hair, there are so many possibilities to expand the character customization and variety of hairstyles…I am honestly tired to see so many ’’modern’’ hairstyles, looking like some ‘’top models’’ ……………

Different models? Who knows, it’s possible nobody on the development team had your aesthetic tastes, or they thought that the long hair options for males were pretty good. The funny thing about the “not enough options” complaint is it really is usually more of a “I can’t find a hairstyle I personally like” complaint.

Blur.3465

@ Warkupo.

I don’t understand how come certain people just pop here to say “Oh clipping issues, no chance long hairstyles will get added.” I keep mentioning female Norn because they have the longest hairstyles in the game and ’’clipping’’ is not stopping people from playing them and choosing those hairstyles.
I see no problem with male models, in fact, males have ’’wider’’ shoulders and backs than females, I don’t see why would having long hairstyles for males be a problem?
Like mentioned before, clipping will always be present and it’s hard to avoid it, but that does not mean discarding more options.
And what you said about “I can’t find a hairstyle I personally like”, is pretty much insolent from your side. I just want more options added, thus I made this thread for like-minded people who share my same problem. People who wanted specific hairstyle “Afro” had their wish fulfilled. Why is adding a simple LONG hairstyle so hard? Oh but apparently it represents problem to people who literally don’t want it or hate guys with long hair. If you don’t want it, don’t use it, but let others who want it have the option to pick it. I know many people, along with myself, would like to give their characters a decent normal long hair and to ‘’stand out’’ a little.
Why is adding more options to character creation such a problem to people? You’ll benefit from that too, for God’s sake…
Besides…almost all hairstyles at the moment are all too modern…just like male human faces…
Current opinion about clipping is truly crippling us from many options: Having capes, having decent backpieces, having long hair (guys only, since it’s obviously not a problem for female models, who knows why?). Oh Charr tails clip with armor too! Let’s rid the Charr of tails too, so that clipping gets solved, shall we?
Personally I am not finding the clipping a problem…and I’d choose a buggy, clipping long hair which is long over any other semi-long or short hair.

Feanor

Warkupo.1025

My responses have been more aimed at the impression I am getting that the developers not adding hairstyles is due to some inherit level of incompetence. You seemed to be asking questions as to why such a simple, obvious, totally easy thing to implement has not been done, to which I provided you basic answers.

Generally, you should assume when making a complaint about something technical that if it was as easy to do as you proclaim (you, who have no actual idea of how such things are developed or implemented), then it would likely already be done.

Wanting things is one thing, but you come off as indigent, thus my resulting disposition towards you.

As for the… rest of your post and your apparent insecurities about your personal hairstyle: I had long hair in highschool. So there’s that.

Pip.2094

Blur, you should just totally ignore those jerks. Most of them speak just for the sake of putting someone else down. You could post a solution to every war that could only benefit in every way, every person in the world and they still would be here to criticize with pointless arguments, without any reason, just because they are unable to shut up.
Adding more, different hairstyles is going to harm NO ONE . No one said “replace short hair with long”, those who like short hair will still be more than able to pick them and enjoy them. They should be even happier as there will be less clones
/people picking the same haistyle.
Just ignore them and keep the conversation up with more constructive comments and suggestions

\||||||/
O°v°O

Pip.2094

My responses have been more aimed at the impression I am getting that the developers not adding hairstyles is due to some inherit level of incompetence. You seemed to be asking questions as to why such a simple, obvious, totally easy thing to implement has not been done, to which I provided you basic answers.

Generally, you should assume when making a complaint about something technical that if it was as easy to do as you proclaim (you, who have no actual idea of how such things are developed or implemented), then it would likely already be done.

Wanting things is one thing, but you come off as indigent, thus my resulting disposition towards you.

As for the… rest of your post and your apparent insecurities about your personal hairstyle: I had long hair in highschool. So there’s that.

If it was so hard to realize how come female Norn had several really long hairstyles since release and a new one was even added? If I am to speak in a smart*** way I’d say that since male humans are not as sexy and appealing for most of players, devs and designers don’t give a kitten to even consider to bother with them. Which is also proven, as someone mentioned already, by how less detailed and appealing manly versions of most of armors, light as top, are compared to feminine versions. Just look at Winged armor and how detailed feminine version is, then look at manly version. Prove me wrong.

\||||||/
O°v°O

Blur.3465

Thanks Pip, it’s good to see like-minded people and those who notice things, I really appreciate your support in this!
And I completely agree with you, even if it will benefit everyone, people will still find reasons to complain, and that is something I will never manage to understand.

Female Norn are obviously top priority in everything, I wonder why? Haha…
Besides…I am not finding it impossible to implement long hair for males, it just depends whether devs want it or not. If it was impossible, then female characters would not have it either, and considering female build, I am finding it more difficult to make long hair for women than for men, see where I am going?
If that was an issue, then female Norn would not have such a huge variety of long hairstyles.
Not even male Norn can pick some warrior-like Nordic braids……………..and I have hoped since beta that male Norn would get more warrior-like hairstyles. Instead they share same hair models with humans…ironic, is it not? Where female Humans and female Norn have different hair types. Any particular explanation here? Though I think it’s obvious that females are top priority here, don’t get me wrong, I feel happy for ladies who can customize their characters according to their taste and it should stay that way. I just feel the need to express that male characters should not be put into ’’shadow’’…I would really love to see more variety and adding long hair would make me happy like a child.

NOTE:
If you do not like long hair, do NOT use it. There’s no need to claim that it should not be added just for the sake of not liking it. No one is forcing you to use it, no one is depriving you of having the option to choose short hair. It’s about adding more variety and having bigger and better character customization.
Besides…who would not want a similar hairstyle to Sephiroth from FF? It just looks too fabulous.

Feanor

Posted by: slayer.1083

slayer.1083

Perhaps Arenanet will get theirselves straightened out and give we the Guild Wars 2 players exactly what we want in the game as quickly as humanly possible somehow, and I’ve taken a long break from playing Guild Wars 2 for a long while, I’ve been playing Age of Conan and The Elder Scrolls Online on and off, but I shall return to Guild Wars 2 very soon in my own due time folks!

Michael J Sharp

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

It does seem sort of odd that hairstyles aren’t unisex.

“But it breaks the realism! Boys can’t wear girl hair! Girls can’t wear boy hair!”

Seriously? As for realism, how about that Goku mane on Charr? Sorry, can’t take ’it’s not realistic, breaks the immersion’ as an excuse anymore, ANet.