Lack of documentation

Lack of documentation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

The RPG genre is heavily based on rules. In the olden times you’d have to read a bookful of rules to even be able to play a game. Guild Wars 2 is the exact opposite. You still have a bunch of stats and effects, but they’re all strangely alien.

I’ll give a concrete example to get the discussion going:
My Ranger has 930 toughness. Mousing over the stat it says “increases armor”. Alright. There we have 1,994 armor. Tooltip for armor says “combines defense and toughness; reduces incoming damage”. What am I supposed to think about this? It doesn’t even say how much the damage is reduced, let alone explain the formula for doing it. I could spend my hard-earned laurels to buy an infusion that graciously add +5 toughness, but I have no way of knowing is that a better deal than 5 vitality infusion. Should I even care about 5 toughness when another consumable could give me 100, or in other words twenty times more. And yet what 5 is to 100, 100 is to 2000. What’s the big idea?

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Don’t think.

Just do your daily.

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Yeh, GW2 is definitely not for min maxing. As long as you can dodge and ress, the rest of the combat system is entirely optional.

I also prefer games that give you more of a hold on what you are doing. I especially hate it when you have a buff that says it increases your power or armour or whatever, but not by how much. Then I see the same buff on someone else and then it tells me it’s 10% or whatever. I just don’t get that I can’t see that myself.

I think the idea is that they wanted to get away from that type of gameplay. Not really what I would’ve like but I’m sure plenty of people here will tell you that it’s great.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

The best place for all of this information is on the Wiki. Guild Wars 2 Wiki

Edit: Fixed link, thanks poster below

(edited by Zypher.7609)

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The best place for all of this information is on the Wiki. Guild Wars 2 Wiki

You linked the GW1 wiki.

GW2 wiki is here:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I think the idea is that they wanted to get away from that type of gameplay. Not really what I would’ve like but I’m sure plenty of people here will tell you that it’s great.

- The contrast is quite hilarious. So much effort and attention to details that hardly matter, yet letting the major picture go as it pleases. I liked how the character creation goes so deep as to lets you customize the width of your character’s jaw, but yet you have no control which armor sets happen to have the stat combination you want. When it comes to looks, armor definitely matters.

I wonder what kind of player this game is really made for. I realize that players have different reasons to play, but what is the thing that this game really does better than its competition?

Lack of documentation

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

yet you have no control which armor sets happen to have the stat combination you want. When it comes to looks, armor definitely matters.

Transmutation stones give you complete control actually.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Lack of documentation

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I despise that the ‘official’ source of information in game is a user-editted wiki. So many things can be, and have been, wrong in a wiki.

Not having a true, official source of documentation and info is purely lazy and there really is no reason for it.

If I want to look at a user editted wiki, fine I can. But if I want official info, there should be a source for that.