Lack of interesting armor sets below level 40

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: subpotent.7625

subpotent.7625

I haven’t even reached level 30 yet on any character and find myself losing interesting in this game for one reason.

THERE ARE NO VARYING ARMOR SETS. I’ve made several characters and they all look the same. I can’t stand it.

There’s almost no incentive to continue playing when I need to put in 20+ hours of my life just to reach level 25 and NOT LOOK ANY DIFFERENT FROM BEING LEVEL 5.

Is it just me or did Anet fail terribly when it comes to low level content? Or armor altogether?

subpotent.7625

It makes me sick to think I paid money for an MMO and I have a Guardian and a Warrior that look exactly alike.

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

I don’t know what your problem is. There is tonnes of different stuff…

also classes are somewhat different looking with different races.

You can’t seem to get better items then its you not the game.

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Posted by: Jay.3284

Jay.3284

1. Transmutation stones
2. Do you really expect to have amazing looking/fancy armor at the lower levels? That makes very little sense to me

Play the game and stop coming on the forums to whine.

Dungeon Master 8/8 | Fractal 50
80Rng – 80Wa – 80Thief – 80Grd – 80Ele – 80Engi – 80Necro

subpotent.7625

I guess the reason why I’m so upset is that I don’t have much time to grind out hours of gameplay to reach these high levels. But when I do play, I look forward to improvements.

Gaining 10-15 levels should impact the way your character looks. Is this too much to ask?

subpotent.7625

1. Transmutation stones
2. Do you really expect to have amazing looking/fancy armor at the lower levels? That makes very little sense to me

How do I get those stones and what would I transmute my low level armor into?

subpotent.7625

Please be more specific in your posts.

Posted by: steelwolf.9864

steelwolf.9864

The main idea of the game is to get good looking armor sets, hence the motivating factor for leveling is so you can get armor skins, at 80 the number of armor sets available to you pretty much doubles from the amount available at 79.

subpotent.7625

The main idea of the game is to get good looking armor sets, hence the motivating factor for leveling is so you can get armor skins, at 80 the number of armor sets available to you pretty much doubles from the amount available at 79.

You expect a casual gamer who works and attends college to WAIT to see content at 80?

Come on man, if that’s the case, this game is horrible and I wasted $60

Esrever.8613

Please be more specific in your posts.

every 15 levels or so you get a new craftable armor set for a armor type. You can also find items that are different levels of different sets in the open world or buy them from the tp. Dyes change colors and you can look different, spend money on them if you want to look different.

Leveling from 1-25 is the same speed as 25-50 and 50-75. 75-80 is very fast. You are just not playing the game optimally from doing that.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Transmutation stones are awards for zone completion and sometimes dailies.
You can get pretty cool skins at lower levels, from crafting, personal story and also each map generally have a specific armour set for that level.
If you are creative with mix and match as well as dyes you can actually look really cool at low levels. Keep in mind you can also buy recipes for crafting armour that is very different looking.
If all else fails there is always tier 1 cultural that you can wear at 35 and it is not that expensive

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

Well what helped me in this regard was crafting my own armor. Every 15 levels starting at level 10 you get a new look. (So from lvl 10-24 you have one look and once you hit 25 you can craft a new look.) Plus the crafting helps you level up and get to those higher levels faster. It is tricky though to keep your crafting the same as your character level, I had to spend a little gold on the tp to pull it off, but I was able to get most of my materials just from playing areas at my current level.

I hope that helps some. If you don’t feel like crafting, there are usually all the crafted sets on the tp, so you could just sell your mats and buy the armor that way.

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

You expect a casual gamer who works and attends college to WAIT to see content at 80?

Doesn’t take that long to get to 80. You’re also able to craft different looking armor, the heavy craftable armor is lacking though. Make sure you check heart vendors often too.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

If you are /so/ busy that you can’t get to level 80(a rather easy and casual task in this game), then why would you buy a MMO at all? And besides, this one doesn’t have a monthly fee. Level 80 isn’t going anywhere and you have NO rush at all.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I really don’t like the way they did armor in this game. I wish it was more like the dye system where you can unlock styles. Then I could change my armor look freely while keeping the same stats. Now, once I make a set, I feel like I’m locked into it.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

So, because you don’t feel there are enough armor skins at low levels, the entire game is horrible and a waste of $60.

Just want to put your point in perspective so that maybe you’ll realize how ridiculous that sounds.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Sinzia.1237

Sinzia.1237

You can actually make your character look like its a high level just by using Transmutation stones. Do a search on google for GW2 crafted armor sets. When you find one you like get it off the AH and transmute it. My level 70 mesmer has been running around in level 65+ gear since level 14. Of course you can’t keep the stats from the gear but you can still look good.
This game really does have some nice gear you just have to look for it, and sometimes it helps to mix different styles together and create your own.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I really don’t like the way they did armor in this game. I wish it was more like the dye system where you can unlock styles. Then I could change my armor look freely while keeping the same stats. Now, once I make a set, I feel like I’m locked into it.

You can give any armor set any look you want using transmutation stones.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

You can give any armor set any look you want using transmutation stones.

I think the point he/she is trying to make, is that once you transmute you either loose stats, or loose a look.
Or to make it more concrete: I’d love to switch between the look of my duelist coat and my ascalonian coat without having to loose either look, or loose stats.

Ontopic: tbh I think there is quite some choice already in looks, even at the lower levels. At personal story you can usually pick between 3 looks already and on the trading post you can find other looks too. Even higher armor for just a few coppers. Transmutation stones are almost unlimited supply. Tbh I don’t think there’s a real reason to complain :/

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

(edited by Curae.1837)

Posted by: Sinzia.1237

Sinzia.1237

I do wish there was a way to save different looks and switch between them. Unfortunately transmutation stones are a money maker for them. Sometimes I have to buy the same item twice just to transmute 2 different looks. I do hope they come up with a better system in the future. I’m just happy that we do have a system, even if it is costly with so many alts.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

What you really meant to say was, “I didn’t do any research into finding out what I could do armor wise in this game. On the surface there aren’t that many armor sets, but when I look a little deeper, I find that progressing along LIKE IN EVERY FANTASY MMO, (with levels, a class system and armor class system) I get more options on what I can wear.”

I’m not sure what MMO’s you have played in the past, but many kinda don’t have varying armor sets between classes early on.
It’s usually when you are
1. beginning to start dungeons
2. Approaching the last 30% of level cap
That you begin see class appropiate armor.

Hmm, in most games that I’ve played in the past would actually have you looking like a mix matched bag of crayon clowns until you reached higher levels.

GW1, yeah it had class specific armor all the way through…but it wasn’t really an MMO either.

However, if you have done the research and have found that no armor sets really make your class look like how you think a particular class should atleast resemble, then you may be right for now.
My example for that…it took me a long time to figure out how not to make my thief not look like a Jack Sparrow, an Assassins creed knockoff (which 80% of theives I see go for) or some reject extra from the movie Brotherhood of the Wolf.

But you have to remember though, Guardians aren’t WoW Paladins so you’re not going to have alot of holy dress like armor, yet anyways. Think there is like 2 sets of dungeon armor that take on that kind of look.

Use dulfy dot net or even the pvp locker in the heart of the mist to take a look at the majority of gear sets in game thus far.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

1. Transmutation stones

I do i expect armor to look good all through the game, other mmo’s have no issues with it, why can’t GW2 a supposedly AAA title…

If you use crafted gear, you get a few tiny changes, but weapons stay the same from 1 – 80, sorry that just doesn’t cut it for me to be a AAA title…

This game needs a lot more variation for free and from level 1-80, just look at merchants in this game that just screams rushed content and laziness to me..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Esrever.8613

1. Transmutation stones

I do i expect armor to look good all through the game, other mmo’s have no issues with it, why can’t GW2 a supposedly AAA title…

If you use crafted gear, you get a few tiny changes, but weapons stay the same from 1 – 80, sorry that just doesn’t cut it for me to be a AAA title…

This game needs a lot more variation for free and from level 1-80, just look at merchants in this game that just screams rushed content and laziness to me..

there is tonnes of skins. Im not sure how you guys don’t find them. The karma skins and the cultural stuff are all good skins for low levels.

Posted by: cNcHellShadow.7691

cNcHellShadow.7691

The beauty of transmutation stones is that at level one, if you could afford it, you can deck your character out in level 80 karma gear. Again, this would be VERY expensive, but still!