Lack of inventory space annoying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: QueenHysteria.1084

QueenHysteria.1084

From day 1 it was beyond obvious Anet gave you as little space as possible so you like a sucker would be put into a position where you would have to spend money just to get more room to put your game junk.

The annoying part is all this game gives you is junk items and junk to fill up your bags to create a problem for you to where you need more space. These scarlet drops you get where you open the bag and you have 15 items (most of them junk) and they know there’s no way on earth you’re going to have room to fit all that crap in your bags. Even breaking them down or selling them is made difficult as possible.

Seriously, every time I play this game I find myself cleaning out bags 100% percent of the time. It’s a chore and a bore and I didn’t buy this game to play house maid and clean up digital junk. I thought this was GW2? How is it that it has an inferior inventory system to GW1?

Some small brained people will say “I like giving money away and buying bags and space” well guess what I don’t. I don’t like “WASTING” money on things that I shouldn’t have too. This is why I quite Warcraft years ago and never looked back. Of course you can use game gold to buy gems but getting gold isn’t easy if you have a life and I’d rather grind for real dollars than game dollars.

I know this small rant will fall on deaf ears but really it’s one of those things that makes me think twice about logging in because every dungeon, every event, every boss I kill I have to stop what I’m doing to clean out my bags. I mean they just let you fill these bags up with crap they could easily let you store elsewhere like armor sets, event tokens and currency, Just silly stuff like that. The bag space they give you makes no sense compared to the junk that’s always dropping. You’re always outnumbered and out of space.

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

I have never had any problem with inventory space, nor has selling items / salvaging items felt like it was made difficult.

I got around 100 slots without spending any real money.
Salvaging inventory full of junk takes like less than 2 minutes, and a click of a single button to store them to collections.

I also don’t understand how the selling is made as difficult as possible. How? It’s really easy and fast.

Only problem with space i have is bank space, since my bank is constantly full, but inventory is always nice and tidy without the management feeling like a chore.

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]

Posted by: MotherKitten.6795

MotherKitten.6795

GW2 does a good job of eliminating so many of the things I found annoying about other MMOs. But the inventory space is ridiculous. After doing Frozen Maw and hitting Wolfmaster right after it takes me so long to salvage the drops and sell stuff and make inventory space that by the time I’m done Wolfmaster is up again.

I wish they had an auto sell feature. Meaning everytime Copper or something else I selected shows up in inventory it automagically gets moved to the trading post at a price I previously specified.

The Goderators have ruined this forum for me.

Posted by: Exosferatu.2961

Exosferatu.2961

I had 20 slots space in my inventory now I have 160 and I salvage stuff with my Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic. I played mostly World vs World in early 2013 and I did not have the urge to farm gold. The gold came to me by just enjoying the game. Then, I converted gold to gems and bought bag slots and 20 slot bags.

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

I had 20 slots space in my inventory now I have 160 and I salvage stuff with my Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic. I played mostly World vs World in early 2013 and I did not have the urge to farm gold. The gold came to me by just enjoying the game. Then, I converted gold to gems and bought bag slots and 20 slot bags.

That’s a bit tricky though
Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic is a Gem store item.

And when you convert gold to gems you’re indirectly also paying money to Anet, since there was another player that converted his gems (bought with $) to gold.

Anyway, i really don’t think it’s a problem. You have enough bag slots to get lots of space (just buy 18-space bags), and you can allways get all collectibles directly in your bank, saving up a lot of space.

And think that many games you have to go to the TP agent to sell your stuff. Or even set up a shop and stay afk during hours.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Soory OP but your post is just full of whine and fail imo.

GW2 has many flaws for sure but inventory space.. meeehhh not really.
You get the opportunity of 4 bag slots right off the bat, so either craft or buy bags the size you can afford/craft at the time until you max them out.. you can, as you already acknowledge exchange your ingame coin for gems so if your patient then you don’t need to do anything out of the ordinary and keep your credit card in ya pocket.
Additionally you have the ability to instantly deposit materials straight to the bank, you can earn or trade up for bank access, trader clickies so again ANET has provided everything there for ya, so where exactly is your issue.
Show me a F2P game that doesn’t provide a cap on your inventory space.. its a business not a game to ANET so of course there is going to be a trade off somewhere but no one forces you to do anything you don’t want to. Count yourself lucky you have a lot of the things included that you do, many others instantly cap your inventory, your content access, and even wealth accumulation… some players just enjoy to whine about nowt sometimes.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Yeah what….
Using the default bag slots and getting 20 slot bags you should almost never have any problems….

There is a despot collectables button to clear out any mats you get or salvage and there is no way you could get enough items to fill all the space. Even running FoTM twice should only ALMOST fill it.

If you’re carrying around things then that’s weird because there is very little that needs to be carried in your inventory.

GW2 is WAY better with inventory space than pretty much any other MMO where you have to carry around all your drops as well as any mats you find…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

No idea what your problem is there OP. You start with a 20 space backpack and 4 bag slots. I’m running 15 slot bags in them right now (I’m too cheap to buy the 18 or 20 slot ones) for a total of 80. I always do a quick stop at any vendor to sell junk and a quick “send to collections” empties any mats to the bank. That leaves items which you can salvage into mats, sell them to a vendor or unlock renown heart giver or press O to bring up the Trading Post to sell there.

My usual run includes wolfmaster (or two), maw, champ svanir, the wurm trilogy and mat gathering. Unless you have the salvage o’matic you are going to need to stop by a vendor to buy salvage kits considering all the items that drop.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

here is a tip:

If you finish your personal story, you should have enough letter’s of commendation that can be used to finance-out a personal guilds bak space (50 slots at least). Create a guild, dump the letters, research architecture + the bank slot and enjoy. Thats what I did. Also, if you feel like getting to 100 bank slots, you can actually buy more letters. I use it to store my crafting components, etc. stuff I bought as an investment and dont feel the rush to carry them on my chars. It will put your own inventory to an easy.

EDIT: it costs exactly 1 silver piece to get this stuff. (guild creation). Sounds like a good proposition to your issue.

banished from time and space

(edited by cmud.5689)

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

here is a tip:

If you finish your personal story, you should have enough letter’s of commendation that can be used to finance-out a personal guilds bak space (50 slots at least). Create a guild, dump the letters, research architecture + the bank slot and enjoy. Thats what I did. Also, if you feel like getting to 100 bank slots, you can actually buy more letters. I use it to store my crafting components, etc. stuff I bought as an investment and dont feel the rush to carry them on my chars. It will put your own inventory to an easy.

EDIT: it costs exactly 1 silver piece to get this stuff. (guild creation). Sounds like a good proposition to your issue.

This… anyone who has played for a couple weeks generally is at least working on their own storage guild…

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Your nickname fits this topic perfectly

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I find it amusing that you say the system is inferior to GW1. In that game you had a maximum of 45 slots in your bag (20 slot backpack, 5 slot belt pouch and two 10 slot bags), no way to deposit crafting materials, no way to access your bank outside of towns and outposts and needed to carry about both an identification kit and salvage kit if you wanted to clear your inventory out on the rare occasions you came across a merchant in an explorable area. It was relatively common for me to end up with a full bag and having to choose items to leave on the ground during a vanquish.

That has never happened to me in GW2, even during the Invasion events. If I’m short on time I just hit ‘deposit collectables’ and it opens up some space. If I have more time I can stop anywhere in the world and open the TP to sell stuff that way or there’s usually a merchant relatively close, even in Orr. So it’s only stuff I think I might want to keep that needs to stay in my bags for any length of time.

The only thing I’ve ever had to buy with gems is one bank tab. I’ve never bought any extra bag slots or converted gems to gold to buy bags. I’m just using a mix of 12-18 slot bags (plus one 20 slot Shell Box from the Lost Shores event on my main) in the original bag slots.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

No idea what your problem is there OP. You start with a 20 space backpack and 4 bag slots. I’m running 15 slot bags in them right now (I’m too cheap to buy the 18 or 20 slot ones) for a total of 80. I always do a quick stop at any vendor to sell junk and a quick “send to collections” empties any mats to the bank. That leaves items which you can salvage into mats, sell them to a vendor or unlock renown heart giver or press O to bring up the Trading Post to sell there.

My usual run includes wolfmaster (or two), maw, champ svanir, the wurm trilogy and mat gathering. Unless you have the salvage o’matic you are going to need to stop by a vendor to buy salvage kits considering all the items that drop.

If you do sPvP, the 18 bags are about a gold from the vendor in the mists.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

There are more enough solutions for this in game. There are merchants all over the place in the open world and way points let you make fast trips to the shops. You can summon extra merchants with the black lion gizmos that you get free from chests and whatever. You can salvage everything down. You can instantly deposit collectables into the bank. You can instantly put stuff onto the trading post.

My guess is that you need to stop carrying boosters and stuff that you never use, sell anything that is not irreplaceable from your bank, cut any stacks of 250 resources in your collection slots down to 150 by selling the excess, and clear out cosmetics that will never be worn.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Without paying gems you start with the ultimate capacity of 100 slots.

On top of that you can instantly teleport all craft items to the bank.
On top of that you can magically sell stuff to the BLTC from anywhere in the world.
On top of that there are “Merchant Express” items to create a merchant anywhere.
On top of that you can mail 6 stacks to alts. Total of 60 slots. (10 mail limit.)

And if you want to spend gems you can increase the collectible depositing to 1000 instead of 250 max, you can also buy 60 more slots in the form of bag slots and you can buy up to 64 character slots for a grand total of……

1000 item storage for all collectibles, 160 bag slots, 3780 stacks available through mail, infinite bltc selling, and portable merchanting.

I see zero issues.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I don’t think OP even knows how to use Scarlet’s “junk”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

chuckle

Personally I thought the sheer amount of bag space I got in this game was wonderful. Having played GW1 for years and years with it’s total of 45 spaces (65 is you managed the large equip bag, but considering that is a specialized bag I wasn’t counting it), the 90ish that I presently have seems insane.

I don’t have to sell anywhere near as often, and between the deposit collectibles and sell junk feature, that’s even a heck of a lot quicker than I had thought it would be. I’d say we’re rather spoiled.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

That’s a bit tricky though
Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic is a Gem store item.

And when you convert gold to gems you’re indirectly also paying money to Anet, since there was another player that converted his gems (bought with $) to gold.

Anyway, i really don’t think it’s a problem. You have enough bag slots to get lots of space (just buy 18-space bags), and you can allways get all collectibles directly in your bank, saving up a lot of space.

And think that many games you have to go to the TP agent to sell your stuff. Or even set up a shop and stay afk during hours.

Well if that is tricky then how about this. 15 slot bags only and I just carry 2 fine kit, 2 basic, 1 mystic/master kit.

Mystic/Master kit for rares.
Basic for light armor/salvage materials/whites.
Fine for everything else.

What is really helpful is getting a craftsman’s bag and a oiled bag so all your crafting materials and junk loot are separated out.

Every 5k AP will also get you enough gems and gold for an extra bag slot plus the gold to buy the 20 slot bag.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

Posts like this never address the issue of where, exactly, ArenaNet is supposed to get the money to keep the game running. It’s always just “well the things I want shouldn’t cost money!”

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Posts like this never address the issue of where, exactly, ArenaNet is supposed to get the money to keep the game running. It’s always just “well the things I want shouldn’t cost money!”

In this case they don’t have to!

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

I’m short on inventory space, mainly because of the weapon/armor skins I gather.

Kind of feels like I’m doing myself a service, and a disservice at the same time. :p

Buy more skins/stones from the gem store for varied looks —-—> have to buy more storage to hold it all.

Sidenote: If you buy a gem store armor set using gems bought with real money, it would nice if we unlock the ability to buy individual pieces of that armor, rather than having to buy the entire set again.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

Ok, I guess I am a bit confused.

I have 5 characters. Each one has the 20slot starter backpack and 4 × 15slot self-crafted bags which I made myself with in game drops and gold. So that is 80 slots per character times 5 characters or 400 individual slots for all characters total.

Now I also started a Personal Guild and using influence from representing my guild and the influence that I bought with the gold I got in game that gave me another 250 slots. I am not counting my other multiplayer guild for slots as that is not for personal storage

So that is a total of 650 slots. None of which cost me one penny in real money.

Compared to GW1:
5 characters with 45 slots a piece or 225 slots
I am not counting my multiplayer guild for slots as that is not for personal storage
Only one Guild was available, so zero slots

GW2 = 650 minus
GW1 = 225
_________
425 more slots in GW2 than GW1.

And that is not counting upgrading the 15 slot bags to 20 slots(with in game gold) yielding another 100 slots.

That makes 525 more slots in GW2. And that is without touching the Gem Store and adding more Bank Tabs or Bags on each character.

And just to stop the farming counter point of making tons of gold via Dungeon farming…

• I have never done a Dungeon or Fractal. All gold was gotten via standard PvE playing.

So I am just wondering what I am missing in the OP’s post. Is she just not utilizing the system properly?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

lol OP, what are you talking about? 100% of the time cleaning out your bag? Where did those items come from then?

Deposit collectibles + Sell junk to Vendors + use consumables (karma, essence of luck, loot bags, etc) = 85% reduction in your inventory in under 1min.

I think you’re playing the game wrong…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

The OP is mostly concerned with emptying bags while out in the game. Which means they are filling all their inventory space while farming or other such activities.

So the amount of guild bank slots/character inventories and such don’t factor into the equation.

However as I posted above, with 100 bag slots, 60 slots per alt via mail, depositing collectibles, instant sale to BLTC, and merchant express items there is really no issues.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.