Lack of non-revealing female armor skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

So, I was upgrading gear and changing the look on a norn female character and it occurred to me that while I have quite a few chest and leg skins unlocked, the vast majority are barely “clothing” at all and look like they’d be better suited to a lingerie shop.

I don’t have an issue with such skins. This isn’t a moral complaint or social commentary on the objectification of women. It’s a game. Do what you want. But I would appreciate it if I had better availability for full coverage tops and bottoms for female characters in this game.

And what is the deal with all the skirts that are full-length, then randomly open up in the front or on the sides to reveal your underwear? Is that really a thing? It looks completely ridiculous! But maybe that’s just me. Maybe get some female artists who know what they’re doing in there? I dunno.

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Human_female_light_armor

Check the armors there, maybe you find something nice. As you can see, majority of the armor are indeed non-revealing. It just might seem other way around since people do tend to choose the revealing ones to wear.

Also remember that you can mix and match!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Outfit

Outfits too might interest you, all of them are non-revealing.

Oh and I remember hearing that most of the armor designers are indeed female.

(edited by Ameepa.6793)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

Yup armor is way too revealing.

Attachments:

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Actually the opposite is true and the op is wrong. Most of the armour is conservative and about covering up the female.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Yup armor is way too revealing.

Nice picture XD she looks so angry she has to wear a tight corset pulling her waist in really hard. XD

Posted by: HnRkLnXqZ.1870

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

Ok, I won’t quote the obvious again. Let’s just say op did not look careful enough. However depending on your personal opinion, it can be a little annoying when you constantly see women in underwear. There are two very cool ways to solve it easily:

1. Move your base to Rata Sum. It is the most efficient built city in GW2, with closest range to all banks, tp, crafting stations. It is also a futuristic architecture and the inhabitants are Asura <3. It is quite hard to tell if you see a male or a female asura if you are not familiar with them. Even if the armor reveals a lot, you literally see nothing but cuteness.

2. Option Menue => Graphics Options => Advanced Settings => Character Model Quality set to “Lowest”
This will cause all players on screen to wear the basic armor sets. The legendary weapons and special backpacks still remain, but everything that could probably offend a person vanishes. It just looks very boring and even a place like Lion’s Arch feels like a city full of NPCs only.

dulfy-effect: Knowledge is power. But without fame, you are just a freak.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

For female characters I think they’ve actually done a good job of giving all 3 armour weights a choice from fully covered to barely there. Helped a lot by the fact that you can put any skin on any armour so you’re not stuck with only the ones for your level.

Light armour does start off extremely revealing (the starter armour has a “skirt” that’s shorter than some of the ruffs on other sets), but that gets replaced quickly with much more modest options. At the other extreme medium armour has very few revealing options without mixing and matching sets.

On the other hand male characters are very limited. For medium and light armour there’s not even many options for bare arms and bare legs are not an option at all.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

AliamRationem.5172

Take it easy, guys. All I’ve said is my opinion: That I would prefer better availability for less revealing armor skins for female character models. That’s my preference. It’s completely subjective and you’re welcome to yours.

However, I probably haven’t been playing as long as you guys have. Let me put it into numbers. I currently have 27 skins available for light armor chest piece. Being fairly new, I haven’t gone out of my way to discover any particular armor skins. I’ve just played the game and collected skins as I went.

Out of those 27 skins, 15 skins show most of the mid-section along with partial or no sleeves, with 11 of those skins featuring little more than a bra. Of the remaining skins, only 2 fully covered the mid-section and both had plunging necklines cut down to reveal curves. I have 0 “full coverage” skins available such as the screenshot shared by Crinn.7864 above.

I don’t doubt that the skins I’m looking for exist in this game, but randomly unlocking 27 skins to those results indicates to me either colossally bad luck or an obvious inclination of the artists toward extremely revealing clothing on female character models.

Again, I’m fine with these skins. I’d just like to see a better ratio of less revealing clothing.

Edit: This is what I came up with for my necromancer. I couldn’t go with my original concept, since I don’t yet have any full coverage skins. But I thought this ended up looking pretty nice. The fiery claws are a bit odd, but they pair nicely with a primordus scepter skin, with that demon mask and smoke and flame coming off the gloves and weapon.

Attachments:

(edited by AliamRationem.5172)

AliamRationem.5172

Ok, I won’t quote the obvious again. Let’s just say op did not look careful enough. However depending on your personal opinion, it can be a little annoying when you constantly see women in underwear. There are two very cool ways to solve it easily:

1. Move your base to Rata Sum. It is the most efficient built city in GW2, with closest range to all banks, tp, crafting stations. It is also a futuristic architecture and the inhabitants are Asura <3. It is quite hard to tell if you see a male or a female asura if you are not familiar with them. Even if the armor reveals a lot, you literally see nothing but cuteness.

2. Option Menue => Graphics Options => Advanced Settings => Character Model Quality set to “Lowest”
This will cause all players on screen to wear the basic armor sets. The legendary weapons and special backpacks still remain, but everything that could probably offend a person vanishes. It just looks very boring and even a place like Lion’s Arch feels like a city full of NPCs only.

LoL Thanks for the advice, but I feel like you folks are reading what you want to read here. I have zero issue with revealing skins. They don’t offend my eyes every time I see them. I just had a concept for my necromancer, went to make it happen and suddenly realized that although I have quite a few skins, apparently hardly any of them cover up skin on a female character model in light armor!

Posted by: LSD.4673

LSD.4673

On the other hand male characters are very limited. For medium and light armour there’s not even many options for bare arms and bare legs are not an option at all.

A good couple of bare chests though. Man cleavage never looked so good.
Bare-legged skirts aplenty, too…

Danikat.8537

I’m not sure what level you are but I would have thought you should have come across the Devout, Student, Country, Magician and possibly Cabalist sets while levelling up.

If not then you can get them easily. The Devout chest for example costs 3s 12c from a vendor in Rata Sum, or 182 karma in Wayfarer Foothills, Queensdale, Plains of Ashford, Matrica Province or Caledon Forest. You can also craft it at level 50 tailoring or buy it from the Trading Post for 45 silver.

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Danikat.8537

A good couple of bare chests though. Man cleavage never looked so good.
Bare-legged skirts aplenty, too…

There are 3 light armour sets that show the chest (4 if you count zodiac but I think of that as covering it with an effect rather than exposing it). The only one I can see with bare legs is the Primitive set and that’s only 1 leg.

Medium has neither. Again the Zodiac coat could be interpreted as showing the chest, but it’s covered in a bright blue texture. I don’t see any with bare legs.

But if you can let me know which ones you’re thinking of I’d appreciate it.

Posted by: Obfuscate.6430

Obfuscate.6430

I just logged in to the game on to my elementalist norn lady to preview armors in the bank, to record the model names and take screenshots…and then I realized the OP could very well do this themselves. I found 4 full coverage tops on the top row of the light chest piece row alone.

OP go to your in game bank, and use the wardrobe function to see what is available. You actually get to preview what the pieces look like yourself. There actually are a lot of options for people who want a cool, conservative look.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The main problem is that most of us don’t like most of the armor skins out there. So whatever look we want, it feels as if there’s not much variety (whether or not other people think that there is, whether or not there’s any way to objectively measure diversity of aesthetics).

Speaking for myself, I don’t see many options that appeal to me. I don’t mind other people walking around half-nekkid, but I’d prefer a different look and I find myself constrained (pardon the pun) by the lack of variety for female armor: it’s either very revealing or extremely conservative, in my opinion.

The biggest problem (again, speaking for myself) is that I can’t seem to find a torso piece that matches well with the rest.

tl;dr the problem isn’t having options (there are plenty); the problem is that there aren’t options that I like. The OP probably feels the same way.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Frenchtoastersticks.8061

Frenchtoastersticks.8061

The main problem is that most of us don’t like most of the armor skins out there. So whatever look we want, it feels as if there’s not much variety (whether or not other people think that there is, whether or not there’s any way to objectively measure diversity of aesthetics).

Speaking for myself, I don’t see many options that appeal to me. I don’t mind other people walking around half-nekkid, but I’d prefer a different look and I find myself constrained (pardon the pun) by the lack of variety for female armor: it’s either very revealing or extremely conservative, in my opinion.

The biggest problem (again, speaking for myself) is that I can’t seem to find a torso piece that matches well with the rest.

tl;dr the problem isn’t having options (there are plenty); the problem is that there aren’t options that I like. The OP probably feels the same way.

i have a lot of armor skins unlocked, and for light armor and i completely agree. Yes there are non revealing options but (personally) a lot of them make me feel like i just threw a potato sack over my character and/or look awful with any other bottoms other than the ones from their set and I hate wearing whole sets. The skins are there to be not revealing, but it doesnt really feel like

Posted by: Nejra Korjenic.5238

Nejra Korjenic.5238

Lack of non-revealing female armour skins? I wish there would be more revealing ones and not this sortiment of gunnysacks to chose from. Or lovely pieces with towels attached to them, like with the Grasping Dead Leggards.

//Edit:
That being said. ANet, please, remove that towel from the mentioned leg-item. It clips through basically every godkitten weapon.

(edited by Nejra Korjenic.5238)

Posted by: Wizigard.4760

Wizigard.4760

Need moar skins. I want more revealing and some more non revealing for op :/)

Posted by: Nejra Korjenic.5238

Nejra Korjenic.5238

But that’s the whole issue with the appearances in this game these days. You get either individual items, which are literally sacks, or costumes, which are one huge sack.
Enjoy.

//Edit:
And someone remove that towel from the Grasping Dead Leggards please.