Lack of transparency in the economy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Belorn.2659

Belorn.2659

It has become very clear through the introduction of the memory boxes that Anet will intervene in the user economy when a item have become too restricted in terms of number of sellers and price.

We saw a early experiments where they silently added Halloween skins as extremely rare skins in in the mystic forge. The drop rate was less than precursors, but the effect was enough to push down prices. For reason unspecificed, this was the only attempt using the mystic forge.

An other experiment was to silently introduce aetherized skins as rare fractal rewards. This made the set go from one of the most expensive to the least expensive set.

With the memory boxes was at least not completely silent, but there is still problems. The market intervention is still very blunt, with no warning to buyers and sellers. It also rewards those that are quick to be first the buy the boxes and sell to those people who were uninformative to have put up buy orders.

It would be nice if this effort from anet were a bit more transparent. For example, they could state that items older than X might become a memory box item at any time in the future. This would effect the market by having a transparent system, declaring that such items is a risky investment, and to buyers that such items is a risky purchase, causing the user economy to incorporate that risk into the price.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Anything can come back as a gift/TP item/BL chest item/etc. It’s been that way for years.

Posted by: Tyger.1637

Tyger.1637

Sounds exactly like a market to me.

It’s an investment and the risk is that it might not be as valuable in the long run as you expect. Or like now they re-release some things that had exorbitant prices.

I mean those advanced racks might be good to get now if they don’t come back in a few BLC rotations like some of the other nodes that now cost hundreds/thousands to get off the TP. Or they might change how we obtain them and it might bring the cost down.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

When you speculate, you are always at risk that something will happen to the market in which you are speculating.

This is how it has always been (in real world and virtual economies).

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Yakez.7561

Yakez.7561

TP speculation aside this is undermining of player experience – dropping once prestigious skins as well as memory items under the bus. In a form of gambling.

This is so wrong.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

TP speculation aside this is undermining of player experience – dropping once prestigious skins as well as memory items under the bus. In a form of gambling.

This is so wrong.

What was wrong was the way Season One content was delivered in the first place.

Someone who starts playing today can still get all the skins from Season 2 and 3, so why should Season 1 be off limits for them?

How about the people who played Season 1 but were on a dead server so they couldn’t get the skins then?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The OP is requesting that ANet warn players that changes to item availability might occur. They already have issued such a warning. There’s a clause in either the ToS or UA that goes something like, “…game conditions could change at any time, without warning.” Buyers or sellers who have not considered that clause, which is standard in MMO’s, ought to have.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

I’ve come to terms with the fact that Anet will work actively to prevent wealthy players. I do believe that there are wealthy players; players that are wise in the ways of flipping high priced items at the TP, players that guessed that certain common items would rise in price and accumulated large quantities prior to the spike. But as a whole Anet does not favor that situation and at times if an event becomes obviously apparent they can and have intervened.

Prior to the release of the game Anet hired a gentleman whose name I do not remember. But I do remember he was adamant that the economy could be controlled and that he would do it.

I don’t think Anet does it to mean or because it hates the players. It does it to provide a stable economy. An economy that has the correct gold to gem ratio. I do believe if Anet wanted t6 leather prices to drop they would turn the dial and loot bags could be filled. It will change … and then change again.

People are playing the game and having fun. If I want to play the game like a Tycoon type game I need to accept the environment that I’m playing in, I wonder if Silver is going to spike this time around?

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I’ve come to terms with the fact that Anet will work actively to prevent wealthy players. I do believe that there are wealthy players; players that are wise in the ways of flipping high priced items at the TP, players that guessed that certain common items would rise in price and accumulated large quantities prior to the spike. But as a whole Anet does not favor that situation and at times if an event becomes obviously apparent they can and have intervened.

Prior to the release of the game Anet hired a gentleman whose name I do not remember. But I do remember he was adamant that the economy could be controlled and that he would do it.

I don’t think Anet does it to mean or because it hates the players. It does it to provide a stable economy. An economy that has the correct gold to gem ratio. I do believe if Anet wanted t6 leather prices to drop they would turn the dial and loot bags could be filled. It will change … and then change again.

People are playing the game and having fun. If I want to play the game like a Tycoon type game I need to accept the environment that I’m playing in, I wonder if Silver is going to spike this time around?

Do you mean John Smith who has posted many times on forums?
There are many (relative) incredibly wealthy players so not something they are actively preventing, they are very good at inflation control however.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

It wasn’t Mr Smith. The fellow I recall was from Europe, I suspect he may have moved on. I may not have been clear – there are wealthy players it just is not Anet’s goal to create them and that many of their ways of controlling the economy hinder accumulation of gold.

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

the endless mystery quaggan tonic went from 17 gold to 30 silver over night ….
what happened there did they just readjust the price ?

(edited by caveman.5840)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

They drop from the LS1 boxes that Anet is giving away. I got two last night.

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

ah that will do it

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Markets are fickle. It’s always a risk to be among the first buyers (prices might drop quickly) or to wait to see (prices might rise quickly). It’s a risk to speculate. It’s a risk to flip. It is, in short, risky. And that’s how it should be.

Accordingly, all the transparency we need (about skin re-introduction) is already present: ANet reserves the right to make skins/dyes/etc available whenever they like, for whatever reasons they choose. It might be in response to low supply or it might simply be that they want to keep giving the newest players the same opportunities that veterans has before they were veterans.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

This is so wrong.

Nope.jpg.

You are not entitled to rarity, prestige, or money based on things happening in game. Conditions are subject to change at any time for any reason. That’s part of being in an MMO.