Laurel Questions

Laurel Questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Q:

With the new daily system coming soon, I had a few questions I wanted cleared up:

1.) As of right now in a 30-day month we have access to 40 laurels if we do every daily and finish the monthly. With the new system will we have access to more, less, or the same amount of laurels per month?

2.) Are prices of items at the laurel vendor changing when this update hits like the dyes did when the wardrobe and dye system was overhauled?

3.) Are any items being removed or added to the laurel vendor when this update hits?

4.) Will we still have access to the same amount of karma under the new system as we do now from daily/monthly completion?

Thanks for any responses you can provide.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

While we’re at it I also have a related question: will I have to choose between laurel and other things, or are they still rewarded like before? In the current system we gain laurels AND other stuff as well, will I have to choose between them?

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Knowing this would allay a lot of fears, I feel. If they’re not answering, it’s probably because there will be price changes at the laurel vendor and/or we won’t have access to the same amount.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Or maybe you could answer it yourself by going back and reading the entire article and examining each of the posted pictures…which give you and idea of how the rewards are distributed with the exception of the ‘month’ end reward box.

Laurel Questions

Guhracie.3419

Or maybe you could answer it yourself by going back and reading the entire article and examining each of the posted pictures…which give you and idea of how the rewards are distributed with the exception of the ‘month’ end reward box.

“an idea” of how rewards are distributed is not the same as reality. Maybe try reading the main post of this thread and then compare it with the article to see how many of the questions are actually answered transparently.

I mean, the blog posts for new features often conveniently leave out the downsides to the changes.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien

Laurel Questions

Iason Evan.3806

“an idea” of how rewards are distributed is not the same as reality. Maybe try reading the main post of this thread and then compare it with the article to see how many of the questions are actually answered transparently.

I mean, the blog posts for new features often conveniently leave out the downsides to the changes.

I am afraid this will be the case. I am tired of announcements showing off the shiny part but changing functionality that sometimes ends up detrimental to the playerbase. You streamlined it? Awesome! You lessened laurel rewards when there is only one way to acquire laurels? Not so awesome. Of course I am assuming since this is going completely unanswered that when the update hits many people will have the reaction I am having now, then. I really wish we could stop taking 1 step forward and two steps back with these updates. UI and functionality for the gem shop! Yes! Custom gem amounts? No! Community loses it! ArenaNet quickly fixes it! Yes! Hey look at the new ladders for pvp! Yes! We put Courtyard in ranked queue! What?

How about just putting in a new daily system that is more streamlined and leave the rewards alone?

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Someone already took the precious few minutes it must have taken them to exam the new ‘monthly’ rewards calendar and figured out what you get by day and totaled it up, it’s in the other thread where people are kittening about the new system. The only thing they couldn’t do was determine how many laurels you would get out of the end of month box. That’s what I meant by reading the blog post and looking at the screen shots, it shows you the daily log-in rewards, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do the math based upon the screen shot. The only 2 things missing is how many laurels are in the daily log in bag(that you get on the day it is given) and the total in the end of month box. If you absolutely need to know how many laurels you’re getting a month, well then you’ll probably have to wait and see, bust since it’s every 28 days and not by calendar month you get 13 ‘monthly’ rewards per calendar year…might be a net gain, might be a net loss or it just might be a wash.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Someone already took the precious few minutes it must have taken them to exam the new ‘monthly’ rewards calendar and figured out what you get by day and totaled it up, it’s in the other thread where people are kittening about the new system. The only thing they couldn’t do was determine how many laurels you would get out of the end of month box.

So, basically, the “only” thing we don’t know is the answer to the OP’s question. Good to have us all on the same page.

might be a net gain, might be a net loss or it just might be a wash.

Yes, which one it will be is what OP is trying to determine.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Laurel Questions

Posted by: DeathPanel.8362

DeathPanel.8362

Most likely what this change will do is make progression even slower and earning laurels even harder along with even less daily rewards. Every change ANET has made to gameplay has resulted in slowing progression to date without exception.

Laurel Questions

Guhracie.3419

Someone already took the precious few minutes it must have taken them to exam the new ‘monthly’ rewards calendar and figured out what you get by day and totaled it up, it’s in the other thread where people are kittening about the new system. The only thing they couldn’t do was determine how many laurels you would get out of the end of month box. That’s what I meant by reading the blog post and looking at the screen shots, it shows you the daily log-in rewards, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to do the math based upon the screen shot. The only 2 things missing is how many laurels are in the daily log in bag(that you get on the day it is given) and the total in the end of month box. If you absolutely need to know how many laurels you’re getting a month, well then you’ll probably have to wait and see, bust since it’s every 28 days and not by calendar month you get 13 ‘monthly’ rewards per calendar year…might be a net gain, might be a net loss or it just might be a wash.

As pointed out previously, the end result is exactly what this poster is asking about. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to comprehend what Iason wrote.

I’m incredibly curious about if we’re losing out on rewards overall, and if the laurel vendor will be changed up at all, as well.

I don’t understand why you’re acting like this thread is utterly unnecessary and that all these questions are either unimportant or have already been answered. This is key information to know if this system is worth celebrating or if it’s an underhanded way to stunt progression even more than it already has been stunted.

-Mike O’Brien

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Siobhan.3582

Siobhan.3582

Most likely what this change will do is make progression even slower and earning laurels even harder along with even less daily rewards. Every change ANET has made to gameplay has resulted in slowing progression to date without exception.

Wrong. leveling is now faster after the changes back in Sept..

That one person.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With the exception of the trait system, I agree: leveling is much faster in a variety of ways. (The trait system makes things a lot slower, unfortunately.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

In the first 10 levels, that is true. The changes to trait systems (that are part of the same NPE package) however make levelling slower and more painful at higher levels (unless you are levelling a warrior, i guess).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Laurel Questions

Iason Evan.3806

I understand(even though I don’t agree with it)that you want to remain silent about the stuff that you are working on until it’s ready. This is an entirely different type of silence and it’s one that really comes off as trite. I am going to call it the, “Smoke and Mirrors Announcement”.from now on. You show us this really cool change to how a system works, and then you lessen the reward.

I am assuming that the reward is being lessened or else I probably would have gotten a response to what is a fairly simple and straight forward query. If we were going to be getting the same amount of karma and laurels post update, a simple, “Karma and Laurels per month will remain unaltered” should be a reasonable thing to expect as an answer. From now on, I would love to suggest that you let players know in the announcement if something like a currency is being shaved and why the change is being made. This is one of the lacks of communication that players have been upset about in the past. Instead of having us find out about a change like this when we login foer the first time and see it in game, let us know why. Sure, we might not agree with it, but it’s honest and it communicates to us your intentions. I’m not asking you discuss it with us before it’s ready. I am asking you disclose it to us when you announce it. Otherwise, you leave us in the dark on a change you know we won’t be happy with and the only thing you are willing to show us are the features you think will make us happy not unlike a used car salesman.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

2014 Laurel Nerf. You heard it here first folks.

Jokes aside – I hope they don’t nerf the laurel rewards – but pretty sure they will.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Laurel Questions

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

I would be ok with a mystic coin nerf.

They were an interesting reward, that GW2 never explored or did anything with. The things you can do with mystic coins today are the same things as launch.

As for the laurel nerf, I think we’re getting a laurel nerf because in that one screenshot, the players have to choose between laurels and other rewards. (not all players will choose laurels).

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Laurel Questions

Valento.9852

They were an interesting reward, that GW2 never explored or did anything with. The things you can do with mystic coins today are the same things as launch.

As for the laurel nerf, I think we’re getting a laurel nerf because in that one screenshot, the players have to choose between laurels and other rewards. (not all players will choose laurels).

Problem lies exactly there. If they value laurels by adding a bunch of recipes and stuff later on, you’re doomed to grind again. Depending on rewards I’ll stick to laurels, unless it’s something VERY significant.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Laurel Questions

Posted by: eugenstash.8610

eugenstash.8610

Problem lies exactly there. If they value laurels by adding a bunch of recipes and stuff later on, you’re doomed to grind again. Depending on rewards I’ll stick to laurels, unless it’s something VERY significant.

I would most deffenitely chose laurels. Frankly because they are a requirement for aquiring certain in game items. I can understand maybe alternative rewards to laurels as some players might have ammassed a ton but Im still fairly new and prices on ascended trinkets isnt cheap laurelwise. I’ll probably kitten myself if theyre nerfed

Laurel Questions

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

So basically as a binge player, I could play a couple of hard days and get my monthly. Then go on my business trips and login a few times later on. This is actually worse for “casual players” like me, because you have to login daily, and they’ve essentially time gated montly rewards now?

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

So basically as a binge player, I could play a couple of hard days and get my monthly. Then go on my business trips and login a few times later on. This is actually worse for “casual players” like me, because you have to login daily, and they’ve essentially time gated montly rewards now?

It depends on exactly what the structure of the system is; perhaps they’ve considerably altered reward levels such that for the same amount of play, you’ll get the same or more amount of laurels (and mystic coins, etc.) through the new daily/monthly system.

However, since every kind of change like this they’ve ever done has only served to slow down progression, your assumption is probably right (in fact, any reasonable person ought to find my above suggestion pretty laughable based on ANET’s track record).

After all, if players have continuous pressure to log in more frequently and spend more time in the game, they’re more likely to buy gems (either because they’re playing more, or because they’re using the gems to help bypass the “improvements” that slow [I tried to use a word that starts with “re”, has a “t” in it, and ends with “ard” here… but the filter won’t allow it even… Filtering an appropriate use of the word, FTW.] progression…). It’s cynical to look at changes like this as being entirely motivated by the gem store, but so many past changes and various models the game uses for content are very transparently about maximizing gem store revenue (LS content model, the ‘improvement’ to the currency exchange before they fixed it, most new skins being Black Lion Chest / Claim Ticket gated, etc.).

(edited by Zui.9245)

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

With the exception of the trait system, I agree: leveling is much faster in a variety of ways. (The trait system makes things a lot slower, unfortunately.)

Actually the trait system change massively slowed down progression. It used to be you can purchase a single book for every single trait on a tier for cheap. Now it costs far more gold to purchase each trait individually along with the cost in skill points.

Laurel Questions

Guhracie.3419

Actually the trait system change massively slowed down progression. It used to be you can purchase a single book for every single trait on a tier for cheap. Now it costs far more gold to purchase each trait individually along with the cost in skill points.

That’s literally what the post you’re quoting says.

-Mike O’Brien

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Leveling is trivial anyway and there’s no evidence for faster leveling unless you can show what new content since that time allows for faster leveling.

Meanwhile the changes to the trait system and the introduction of time gated crafting empirically show slowing progression is the plan of ANET.

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

I incorrectly interpreted your post.
The point is every major change ANET has released so far has been to slow progression.
The change to the traits and how they are purchased.
The time gated crafting.
The nerf to champions in a variety of zones.
The nerf to way dungeon tokens can be earned. (Used to be 1st time rewards for each character, not per account)
The mega server implementation which ruined ORR shrine boss rotation.

Aside from EOTM there’s no change whatsoever to the rate at which you level in pve since release. Leveling is trivial anyway. I have 24 characters myself already and I could level more in a matter of days if I wanted and this was true 2 years ago when this game came out like it is now.

The real progression is in gearing ascended gear and obtaining legendaries and that’s where the slowdown in progression will happen when this patch goes live I bet.

(edited by DeathPanel.8362)

Laurel Questions

Iason Evan.3806

The point is every major change ANET has released so far has been to slow progression.
The time gated crafting.
The nerf to way dungeon tokens can be earned. (Used to be 1st time rewards for each character, not per account)

Aside from EOTM there’s no change whatsoever to the rate at which you level in pve since release. Leveling is trivial anyway. I have 24 characters myself already and I could level more in a matter of days if I wanted and this was true 2 years ago when this game came out like it is now.

The real progression is in gearing ascended gear and obtaining legendaries and that’s where the slowdown in progression will happen when this patch goes live I bet.

I always amuse myself by imagining honest blog posts from ArenaNet. “Hey everyone! We are going to slow down progression in numerous areas. We are updating the UI for the feature as well, but we decided to take an honest approach and tell you about the changes behind the changes. You were all asking for dailies and monthlies to be more streamlined toward what you all like to do. So we did that. Except we decided to shave the drop rates. Enjoy!

Laurel Questions

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Only if you already have a ton of gold to unlok the traits. If you don’t and want to unlock the traits by doing the required tasks you’ll be 80 with a handful of unlocked and a ton of locked traits. So … you’re not really 80

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

It’s worrying they’ve chosen not to answer this. :/

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

The time gated crafting.

I always amuse myself by imagining honest blog posts from ArenaNet. “Hey everyone! We are going to slow down progression in numerous areas. We are updating the UI for the feature as well, but we decided to take an honest approach and tell you about the changes behind the changes. You were all asking for dailies and monthlies to be more streamlined toward what you all like to do. So we did that. Except we decided to shave the drop rates. Enjoy!

It’s the same with any mmo game. The main point of a MMO is not to be fun but to keep players playing. Therefore you see this type of slowdown in progression over the lifespan of any mainstream MMO. You also see this type of dishonest spin speak every single time they nerf something because they know it will be unpopular. I’ve played MMOs since EQ original and reading between the lines for nerf patches is pretty much second nature at this point for me.

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Only if you already have a ton of gold to unlok the traits. If you don’t and want to unlock the traits by doing the required tasks you’ll be 80 with a handful of unlocked and a ton of locked traits. So … you’re not really 80

Actually there’s no evidence whatsoever leveling rate has increased he is just making an unsubstantiated claim. In fact an argument can be made that leveling is slower since they nerfed the queensdale trains.

Also, all traits of tiers used to be unlocked upon purchasing of a single tome for a really cheap price (I recall around 2 gold for all the grand master traits and as little as a few silver for all adept traits) at levels 20, 40, and 60 which unlocks ALL traits of that tier. Now you will have to pay more gold and even skill points for a single trait or do some sort of tedious task in some out of the way zone to unlock any given trait not to mention the traits themselves unlock at a far later level.

Laurel Questions

HtFde.3856

It’s the same with any mmo game. The main point of a MMO is not to be fun but to keep players playing. Therefore you see this type of slowdown in progression over the lifespan of any mainstream MMO. You also see this type of dishonest spin speak every single time they nerf something. I’ve played MMOs since EQ original and reading between the lines for nerf patches is pretty much second nature at this point for me.

In many MMOs players are attached to their characters because they had to pay a monthly fee to keep going – depending on how long you played you may have forked over a small fortune and quitting means throwing all that away. It is different with GW2 … I lived 1 year without GW2 and it was quite ok – if they manage to mess up the dailies now (I’d need the laurels for ascended amulets and rings) then it’s time to free up some disc space on my computer – I am already NOT impressed with the changes to the game (NPE, ascended items, cloth “drop” rate, etc.) , this would kind of close the coffin.

Strangely I’d gladly play GW2 the way it was a year or so ago … but the “new” GW2 seems … meh.

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

It’s the same with any mmo game. The main point of a MMO is not to be fun but to keep players playing. Therefore you see this type of slowdown in progression over the lifespan of any mainstream MMO. You also see this type of dishonest spin speak every single time they nerf something. I’ve played MMOs since EQ original and reading between the lines for nerf patches is pretty much second nature at this point for me.

In many MMOs players are attached to their characters because they had to pay a monthly fee to keep going – depending on how long you played you may have forked over a small fortune and quitting means throwing all that away. It is different with GW2 … I lived 1 year without GW2 and it was quite ok – if they manage to mess up the dailies now (I’d need the laurels for ascended amulets and rings) then it’s time to free up some disc space on my computer – I am already NOT impressed with the changes to the game (NPE, ascended items, cloth “drop” rate, etc.) , this would kind of close the coffin.

Strangely I’d gladly play GW2 the way it was a year or so ago … but the “new” GW2 seems … meh.

This is true. At this point I am willing to tolerate things as is but if any nerf is made to the way laurels are earned which according to their preview may very well happen even I may need to consider moving on to something else.

Laurel Questions

HtFde.3856

This is true. At this point I am willing to tolerate things as is but if any nerf is made to the way laurels are earned which according to their preview may very well happen even I may need to consider moving on to something else.

Fun thing is – maybe someone from ANet reads this – I kinda like the cuddly Asura. So I was actually prepared to pay for a few character slots to make an Asura for every profession … then I encountered the NPE and … no, thank you – I’m probably not even going to level up my newly started Asuran necromancer and – as long as this NPE stuff is around – I’m certainly not going to buy extra character slots.

Laurel Questions

Guhracie.3419

Actually there’s no evidence whatsoever leveling rate has increased he is just making an unsubstantiated claim. In fact an argument can be made that leveling is slower since they nerfed the queensdale trains.

Low-Level Experience Curve
Reduced the amount of time it takes to reach level 15.

Source

-Mike O’Brien

Laurel Questions

Valento.9852

If a dev could enlighten us…

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Laurel Questions

Posted by: joneb.5679

joneb.5679

Yup hoping to see dev input or advice from Gaile now the weekend is through

I use forums to give my opinions but I mostly avoid discussing over
them due to those less than polite individuals out there and their offensive attitude.

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Source

You mean how it took like 10 less minutes than it did before to get to 15 according to those notes?

Sorry but that distinction is trivial and not worth mentioning and also does nothing to negate my point that experience is not faster. The change to the trait progression system and nerf to newbie zone champ trains easily and more than negated what little change that was. On the whole progression is far slower.

Here’s the analogy of what you just did in case you don’t get it. If you had 10 bucks and I took 6 bucks from you and then gave you back 2 bucks leaving you with 6 bucks and then I claimed “there’s no evidence that you have more money than you had before” and then you tried to negate my argument by pointing to the video evidence of when I gave you the 2 bucks back ignoring the part where I took 6 bucks from you.

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Yup hoping to see dev input or advice from Gaile now the weekend is through

What will most likely happen is the laurel rate will be nerfed by 10 per month since the monthly reward will be removed. Worst case scenario they will remove the laurels from the daily rewards as well and make them rare random drops from the daily chest.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Worst case would be them putting them in black lion chests.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Worst case would be them putting them in black lion chests.

I could see them doing that if GW2 ever starts dying for real and they want to make a final cash grab.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Source

Let’s not forget that they also stripped a lot of useful things from the starting area vendors, such as food and salvage kits. And removed resource nodes from those areas, as well. So, time wasted running into the city to get starting supplies, and EXP lost from not being able to mine right away.

Honestly, unless you just charge straight ahead and get through those levels as fast as possible, you lose as much as you gain. And if you ARE charging through them, why? To key farm? That hardly got faster.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Laurel Questions

Iason Evan.3806

Well, when you nerf the amounts people can earn each month for karma and laurels, and the whining starts: Just remember: I told you so.

Laurel Questions

Guhracie.3419

Source

Let’s not forget that they also stripped a lot of useful things from the starting area vendors, such as food and salvage kits. And removed resource nodes from those areas, as well. So, time wasted running into the city to get starting supplies, and EXP lost from not being able to mine right away.

Honestly, unless you just charge straight ahead and get through those levels as fast as possible, you lose as much as you gain. And if you ARE charging through them, why? To key farm? That hardly got faster.

I’m not defending anything here, except that there actually is evidence that the leveling process was made faster, and there is documentation for that. The person who originally said it wasn’t just making some unsubstantiated claim. That’s all. I’m not defending what ANET has done or will do. I’m not defending the NPE. I’m not saying there’s been a net gain in leveling speed. I’m taking one thing that was being picked to death and saying that it does have a basis in fact.

-Mike O’Brien

Laurel Questions

DeathPanel.8362

Source

I’m not defending anything here, except that there actually is evidence that the leveling process was made faster, and there is documentation for that. The person who originally said it wasn’t just making some unsubstantiated claim. That’s all. I’m not defending what ANET has done or will do. I’m not defending the NPE. I’m not saying there’s been a net gain in leveling speed. I’m taking one thing that was being picked to death and saying that it does have a basis in fact.

Wrong. As others and myself have already pointed out, the leveling experience is slower.

I’ve already used this analogy but I’ll use it again in case you’re too slow to understand.

If you had 10 bucks and I took 6 bucks from you and gave you back 2 bucks afterwards you empirically have less money than you did at the start. The evidence of you getting back the 2 bucks is not evidence that you have more money than you have at the start.

You are using a single piece of evidence ignoring the context of the evidence (which is that gain is more than offset by all the nerfs and experience rate on the whole is slower) and that is dishonest.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

It seems compiling an FAQ on the new achievement system would be a good idea.

Laurel Questions

Iason Evan.3806

So I look in the patch notes and there is nothing there regarding this. Can I please have an answer to this question now since the patch is live?

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

So I just checked the “calendar” in-game. Looks like you get 35 guaranteed laurels every 28 days.

That in addition to whatever amount of laurels you get from the 28th day chest IF you choose to take laurels over the other possible reward choices (can choose from Ascended Materials, Legendary Materials, Laurels, or Tomes of Knowledge).

So I’d say its basically a wash if you don’t choose laurels in the final box. Technically its 5 less compared to a full month of old dailies / monthlies, BUT since its only 28 days per rotation that means you can get started on the next rotation earlier, so you basically make up the difference that way.

And of course, if you do choose laurels in the final box its an increase to the gain rate.

Laurel Questions

Valento.9852

Thanks! That’s awesome news.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

So I just checked the “calendar” in-game.

How?

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

How?

Can’t figure out how to get to it separately (though I assume there is a way, at least I would think so), but I looked at it when I was awarded my daily. Once you click the chest it shows you the whole calendar until you finish claiming the reward.

Laurel Questions

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

How?

Can’t figure out how to get to it separately (though I assume there is a way, at least I would think so), but I looked at it when I was awarded my daily. Once you click the chest it shows you the whole calendar until you finish claiming the reward.

I did not get that. Did you get a daily reward as soon as you logged in? I did not.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes