Laurel drought

Laurel drought

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Now that raids are here, can you devs please do something about this? There are enough gates to ascended gear already and I’m sure you could easily put in a currency exchange of some sort.

Thanks.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Laurel drought? Has the Daily Log-in Rewards changed with the last patch?

Laurel drought

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

No, they haven’t.

Personally, I’m still sitting on 230 laurels that I haven’t decided what to do with yet. And every 28 days, I pick the laurel chest.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Laurel drought

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

863 laurels here and 5+ loyalty chests in the bank.
Op remember to do winter daily for laurels every day when winters day arrive.

Laurel drought

Swagger.1459

Well certain players use them as opposed to save them…

@linken- gotcha, thanks. There are bigger issues with it so winter daily won’t resolve it for the long run.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

Laurel drought

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

55 laurels every 28 daily logins. No drought here.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Laurel drought

Posted by: Riesty.9075

Riesty.9075

dam i hate to white knight post but
since your last try you could get around 250 laurels by log in
how many have you optained since then?
that amount is enough for what ever you whant ..
you not loged in because of reasons? not anet fault
good luck with your next tread

oh and for a side hit at anet if you not noticed it the daily laurel from halloween
was all rdy gone i expect the same for wintersday
because f2p acc°s ya know…

Laurel drought

Swagger.1459

How many sets of light, medium, and heavy armor do you have?

Out of those armor sets, what stat sets are they?

How many ascended weapons do you have?

Out of those ascended weapons, how many different stat seats do you have?

Ascended amulets, rings and trinkets…?

Infusion in your ascended gear?

It adds up, and now that raids are upon us, the devs want us to fill roles. Roles require gear and such… Not everyone just sits on their laurels ya know…

Laurel drought

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

so it’s not a drought then. You just use much more than the average players. Seems fine for everyone else.

for me I have enough ascended boxes from fractals for all my ascended needs (with raid) with the stat conversion in forge. Never used laurels for them.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Laurel drought

Swagger.1459

The point is that raids are requiring a more diversified gear portfolio, and for players who use stuff the laurels are too gated. There are enough gates to gear honestly.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I’m with you, OP. I go through laurels like candy. There just aren’t enough of them.

I suppose some people are willing to always use berserker equipment, so they don’t have to buy all those recipes. But, you can go through them mighty quickly buying different armor for your different characters.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

This can be an issue on new accounts or for people who buy ALL their trinkets with laurels.

As is, make sure you get only amulets or at most accessoires with laurels. Rings are now even easier to get than before via fractals (also remember to check wvw vendors to offset some laurels prices with badges). Accessoires are still best bought with guild commendations and armor/weapons have the ability to change state via the mystic forge. If you are buying every single stat recepie for your crafter, well that is your own fault is it not?

Laurel drought

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

This happens if you kept using your laurels for t6 mat bags to make gold.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

you only need laurels for ascended amuletts and recipes

for recipes only 1x then you can permanently craft it whenever you want

amuletts cost just 20 laurels each

and if you started playing gw2 late it will just take you a bit of time until you have the stuff

you need 0 laurels for rings or acessories…

just dont spend them for anything else but amuletts and recipes then you will easily get every amulett/recipe that you need with the time

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Laurel drought

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Considering the age of your account, you should have around 1500 laurels if you’ve always bothered to obtain them. You shouldn’t have burnt through them all.

Laurels are intended to be a simple currency entirely based on time.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It adds up, and now that raids are upon us, the devs want us to fill roles. Roles require gear and such… Not everyone just sits on their laurels ya know…

You may be confused about the definition of ‘drought’. There are no less Laurels available post-Raiding as there were pre-Raiding. That you wish to use more does not make for a drought.

Laurel drought

Daddicus.6128

and if you started playing gw2 late it will just take you a bit of time until you have the stuff

just dont spend them for anything else but amuletts and recipes then you will easily get every amulett/recipe that you need with the time

30 laurels for the recipes for one full armor set (6 × 5).
30 for one amulet.
70 for two rings
80 for two accessories

Total 210 for one character. I have 9 characters. That’s 1890.

Laurels were added January, 2013. You could only gain 40 per month, but I don’t know for how many months before it changed to about 35 per 28 days. Plus, you can get another 20 if you pick laurels for the 28th day of the cycle. Roughly 1500 since they started. Hence, a shortage.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I still need hundreds of laurels. 55 a month feels really slow. lol

Laurel drought

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

30 for one amulet.
70 for two rings
80 for two accessories

Laurels were added January, 2013. You could only gain 40 per month, but I don’t know for how many months before it changed to about 35 per 28 days. Plus, you can get another 20 if you pick laurels for the 28th day of the cycle. Roughly 1500 since they started. Hence, a shortage.

did you read what others wrote, rings bought with pristine relics so no need for laurels, amulet 20 if you got afew badges of honor that you get from ap chest.
true you need 1 stat for each armor part so thats 30 laurels.
Total since you can change stats with exotic insignias/inscriptions

you need a total of 90 for all armor types
105 for all weapon types
180 for all your amulets and your done a total of 375 not 1890

Laurel drought

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Hmm still have 300 laurels. I have 8 characters with ascended accessories, rings, and amulet, except warrior who doesn’t have ascended earrings but I could always get them with commendations. I also regularly spend laurels on WvW infusions. I don’t do fractals very much so the rings were gotten with laurels.

And honestly, with ascended gear being account bound, I don’t see a problem beyond convenience. Sure, I understand weapons and armor could use their own specific runes and sigils, but how much variation do you need to have 9 unique sets of trinkets?

The only real trouble is earrings which are either very expensive or require guild missions.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Laurel drought

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

yeah this is over exaggerating. You only need to make one of each type of weapon and armor weight. Then you just throw them in the forge to change the stats. And yes you should only be getting the amulet with laurels. Rings and accessories from FoTM and guild missions.

For the record I have 9 ascended armor sets with all the weapons I use commonly. And more than enough accessories/trinkets (most characters have two so Pena my around 15 sets). And I have 200ish laurels. So…..

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Laurel drought

Swagger.1459

Don’t worry peeps, the game won’t implode if we gain access to more laurels.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Craft slower.

Rant time …

Honestly a lot of complaints I’m seeing since HoT revolves around the idea that the player needs to get X now. This “group think” leads to a rush on the TP which shoots up the price of mats for crafting; the gold to gem exchange rate when something cool comes out or goes on sale at the gem shop; hero points for specialization; XP for masteries … I can go on.

A lot of these aren’t a problem if the drive for immediacy is ignored. Since raids rolled out the week it’s now ascended armor and the new precursors/legendary weapons.

It’s Black Friday at Wal-Mart in the microcosm of the game but instead of sucker punching the grandmas for a 70" TV for $499 it’s everyone draining the TP, their collections, cheap salvageable goods all to get affordable mats and if you are late to that party the cry goes out that it’s too expensive or it’s time gated. FOMO is imaginary. There will still be groups doing the first raid wing months from now. Everyone doesn’t need to do it this week so you all don’t need your gear yesterday.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Laurel drought

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Just use exotic gear, ascended isn’t required for raids anyways.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Well certain players use them as opposed to save them…

@linken- gotcha, thanks. There are bigger issues with it so winter daily won’t resolve it for the long run.

There is no drought … you can set your clock to when you get laurels, literally. If you were to explain exactly WHY you think generally, we need more laurels, we are listening. If you just want to be cryptic and think that makes you clever, well, just carry on.

Laurel drought

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Currently sitting on 183 laurels. I know you are not specifically asking me, but I wanted to give a snapshot. There are players who have even more than I do, many of them who ran tons of fractals. I’ve seen screen shots in the Dungeons forum of people with bank tabs of unopened ascended armor chests. To answer your question and out of my own curiosity, this is what I have accumulated in 2.5 years:

Armor:
1 Full Berserker heavy set
1 Full Berserker medium set
1 Full Sinister medium set
2 Full Berserker light set
1 Full Knight’s light set
Shoulder, chest, gloves, boots medium Berserker
Boots heavy Knight’s
Shoulders heavy Soldier’s
Shoulders heavy Sinister
Chest lightAassassin’s

Weapons:
Berserker
4 Dagger
Warhorn
2 Staff
Longbow
Axe
3 Greatsword
Spear
Harpoon gun
Focus
Scepter
Trident
Rifle
Short bow
Sword
Legendary scepter
Legendary mace
Legendary shield
Legendary staff
Legendary sword
Legendary pistol

Other
Sinister legendary short bow
Sinister axe
Sinister torch
Celestial shield
Soldier’s staff

Trinkets and backpiece full sets:
7 Berserker
1 Sinister
1 Soldier’s
1 random set on an unused character (precision, tough, vit, condi mixed)
-1.5 bank tabs of random rings and accessories/amulets (after salvaging 42 rings)

Infusions
1 set has full WvW infusions in armor and trinkets.
3 characters have 70 AR
2 characters can do mid-level fractals (around 40 AR)

Now, I did not craft all of these myself. I probably got the equivalent of one armor set out of fractals, 3 tequatl hoards + 2 other ascended teq drops. Some rings were drops, some were bought with pristine fractal relics, some with laurels. I feel comfortable with the amount of ascended stuff I have, especially since we can share it between characters and forge to change stats. I would like to make a second heavy set and maybe do something for tempest with one of the light sets.

Maybe I couldn’t make all of this with laurels. I chose to play areas of the game that rewarded me with things I wanted. I shied away from fractals for a long time, before finding people to run with regularly (and eventually pugging when necessary). I don’t think I have missed a daily teq kill in over a year. I did a short stint of PvP, and I think I got an armor piece once.

IIRC, we are actually getting more laurels now (per month) than when we got them every day.

(edited by rhapsody.3615)

Laurel drought

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

I never have enough laurels. But then I couldn’t stand old fractals (as well as time issues in order to complete runs- never a good thing to have to log off after the 3rd bit, etc).

I’m mainly wvw, so used laurels for not only rings and accessories and trinkets but also for wvw infusions at 5 a pop- which is where they really start to add up. Also many sets of ascended on my various mains as well as ascended weapons.

Ascended stat change isn’t practical unless you are using very cheap runes- and wasn’t even possible until recently anyway.

Always been in favour of rings etc being tradeable- otherwise it’s just another time gate.

It’s not a drought. It’s just a restriction and a time gate.

Laurel drought

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

It’s not a drought. It’s just a restriction and a time gate.

I prefer to think of it as encouragement to play all game modes

Laurel drought

Daddicus.6128

did you read what others wrote, rings bought with pristine relics so no need for laurels, amulet 20 if you got afew badges of honor that you get from ap chest.

105 for all weapon types

I was answering for me, not for everybody else. I don’t get pristine relics or badges of honor in quantities that would help. Changing stats might work, but that seems more expensive than just building it right in the first place. Thus, I believe 1890 is accurate.

NOTE: Not completely. I have two characters who both use tailored carrion armor. So, it’s really 1680. I may even double-up again, but that seems like a longshot at this point in time.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think folks from all sides of this issue are exaggerating some of the details, probably unintentionally: issue reporters are double-counting costs and missing out on methods to save big; those who see no issue aren’t aware that this probably affects a lot more people than most of us would think.

tl;dr while the issue is real, the required costs are a lot less than people are claiming.

Let’s clarify the stated issue:

• Raids are increasing the demand for new stat combination, increasing the need for laurels.
  • Those trying to fill multiply roles (using different profs) need to spend more.
  • The laurel income hasn’t changed.
  • For players new to the game and those who hadn’t hoarded laurels, that presents a challenge.

The questions are:

• How many people are affected?
  • Are there alternatives?
  • Are there ways to reduce the spending on laurels and achieve the same goals?

It’s hard to tell how many people this affects: certain all the players who bought the game in August or later aren’t going to have lots of laurels. I think it’s fair to assume that this won’t just affect the OP; it’s going to affect more than a handful.

Regarding alternatives, exotic gear is definitely possible, although clearly groups that are struggling would find it easy with even a small increase in defense & offense. So, again, it would be fair to say that more than a few people are going to feel they need to get ascended sets sooner rather than later.

However, with respect to costs, there are several ways to reduce costs, primarily by using the Mystic Forge to convert stats. This is sometimes much cheaper than (as someone suggested above) “building it right” to start with. In this way, at most, you only need to spend laurels on:

• One inscription & one insignia recipe. (these cost karma, not laurels)
  • Max of 18 armor recipes, 90 laurels
  • Max of 19 weapons (although does anyone “need” underwater weapons?) for another 95 laurels.
  • Ideally, rings via fractals, (anyone who can do dungeons can 3-person the easiest 3 fractals every day, earning a enough relics for rings) — no laurel costs.
  • Ideally, accessories via commendations — no laurel costs.
  • Buy amulets in WvW, for 20 laurels.

Summing up, frugal spenders need only pay 185 laurels for all future armor and weapon needs and then 20 laurels per character for the amulet. This could increase by an additional 90 laurels/toon for those who aren’t in a guild or who don’t do even the easiest fractals

So the worst case scenario for those trying to manage their laurel costs would be 1,065 total laurels for 8 characters. And the best case scenario is less than 350 laurels…for an entire menagerie of characters. (Costs that can be reduced even further by sharing gear across toons.)

tl;dr I agree that there’s a real need for some to spend laurels now. At the same time, the required laurels costs have been overblown — a month’s worth of laurels will be sufficient to cover most people, as long as they are careful about spending them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Laurel drought

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Craft slower.

Rant time …

Honestly a lot of complaints I’m seeing since HoT revolves around the idea that the player needs to get X now. This “group think” leads to a rush on the TP which shoots up the price of mats for crafting; the gold to gem exchange rate when something cool comes out or goes on sale at the gem shop; hero points for specialization; XP for masteries … I can go on.

A lot of these aren’t a problem if the drive for immediacy is ignored. Since raids rolled out the week it’s now ascended armor and the new precursors/legendary weapons.

It’s Black Friday at Wal-Mart in the microcosm of the game but instead of sucker punching the grandmas for a 70" TV for $499 it’s everyone draining the TP, their collections, cheap salvageable goods all to get affordable mats and if you are late to that party the cry goes out that it’s too expensive or it’s time gated. FOMO is imaginary. There will still be groups doing the first raid wing months from now. Everyone doesn’t need to do it this week so you all don’t need your gear yesterday.

I have all my gear. I need infusions.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

105 for all weapon types

I was answering for me, not for everybody else. I don’t get pristine relics or badges of honor in quantities that would help. Changing stats might work, but that seems more expensive than just building it right in the first place. Thus, I believe 1890 is accurate.

NOTE: Not completely. I have two characters who both use tailored carrion armor. So, it’s really 1680. I may even double-up again, but that seems like a longshot at this point in time.

But that is your own problem though is it not?

If you value laruels less than gold, but run out, you misscalculated. Sure, changing stats on existing ascended items isn’t cheap. But is it more expensive than to run out of a limited ressource you are already bottlenecking on?

If you choose to spend more then needed on ascended items and don’t use the cheapest channels per slot, sure then again this becomes an issue. But here too, an issue of your own choosing. The game is designed to make people play all the game modes. And especially fractals have become super easy as far as rings are concerned.

This is a problem for new players mostly.

Laurel drought

Daddicus.6128

Well, with the changes to fractals, they’re almost worth getting into, so the rings part would still work. I’m also going to dabble in WvW, but not seriously, so going there isn’t likely to help.

Changing stats after creation is something I never thought of before. But, costs a ton of money and spirit shards, another gated commodity. I’ll have to evaluate which costs more.

Thanks for the info!

Laurel drought

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I’ve outfitted two characters completely with only spending 10 laurels and that was before I knew I didn’t have to spend a single laurel.

• Buy out Ventari or Verata recipes from the TP – they cost next to nothing, a few dozen silver at most. Ventari is probably cheaper overall.
  • Create a set of Ventari/Verata armor. This is the hardest part.
  • Create Orichalcum/Gossamer Insignia/Inscriptions of the stats you actually want.
  • Mystic Forge those suckers.

Not a single laurel spent, and you just got yourself a full set of ascended armor and weapons.

For rings, do some fractals – 10 dailies (of which you can get 5 per day tops iirc – 2 a day if you have no AR) and you’ve got your first ring. Another 10 for your second. The trick would be infusing them, but you don’t need to do that unless you do fractals regularly. No laurels.

For accessories, 1 set of guild missions and you’ve got them – again, no laurels.

For amulets, you’ll have to spend 20 laurels and some Badges of Honor. Unless you get a stat tied to an achievement and don’t need a dupe of it.

No backpieces, afaik, require laurels.

If you add infusions – you could spend 5 laurels for a mere +4. Or you could put out some T6 mats for a +5 to the stats and AR, allowing you to get further rings faster/do higher fractals. Though honestly, getting 56 additional stats – or 70 – probably won’t be that huge unless you put them all into a single stat. Which would require omni infusions which don’t cost laurels.

A character ENTIRELY decked out in ascended gear. 20 laurels needed.

Drought? Adds up?

That’s not the issue. The issue is that you aren’t looking for the cheapest/easiest alternative. You’re looking for the most direct. Which in this case costs a lot of laurels.

There are other methods – permanent ones – to get ascended gear too. Such as the raid vendor.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Laurel drought

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

30 for one amulet.
70 for two rings
80 for two accessories

• 0 laurels for Ventari/Verata armor/weapon set. Zealot’s too, though that costs more from TP unless you find the Pact Vendor on its daily rotation. The new HoT stats bought for map currencies also cost 0 laurels.
  • Go to WvW for amulet – 20 laurels + some badges of honor (given from AP chests, unless you bought a bunch of stuff from WvW merchants or are new you’ll have plenty – and they’re not hard to get either).
  • 0 laurels for rings if you do 20 fractal dailies (2 low levels per day – 10 days; 5 total per day – 4 days)
  • 0 laurels for accessories if you use guild commendations – each one will require 6 commendations aka 1 weeks’ worth give or take

Total per character: 20 laurels

It all depends on how you get your ascended gear. Not all of them are limited behind laurels. And if you want stats that are for weapons/armor – it’s actually cheaper to make Ventari/Verata gear and then use the new mystic forge recipes to stat change them.

It could cost a boatload of laurels. But there are alternatives. It’s just a matter of if you can get those alternative currencies (Pristine Fractal Relics, Guild Commendations, Badges of Honor, and direct silver or map currencies) better – which in all cases is pretty much a yes.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Laurel drought

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Laurels are fine…

it’s Mystic Coins we need more ways to get.

Laurel drought

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I also don’t see any drought and I have over 1k laurels.

1 of each

All zerker.

2 staves, 1 LB, 1 GS, 1 sword, 1 WH, 1 dagger, 1 axe and 1 focus

Axe is assassin, 1 staff is Sinister, rest zerk

Boy I lost count.
1 full zerker set, 2xzerk/valk ring and acc, soldier set, sinister set and cavalier set

Yes, I use the WvW ones.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Laurel drought

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

30 for one amulet.
70 for two rings
80 for two accessories

Oh I see. The problem isn’t the source of Laurel, but how you spend it. It’s not our fault if you spend them like a kitten.

You get badge of Honor from achivement, I higly doudt that someone is short on that. So that mean that Amulet is 20 laurel, not 30.

Ok now for rings. I understand that someone don’t like fractal. Now if you want to gear up 9 characters with full ascended and talk about raid, don’t bullkitten me that oh no I hate fractal and can’t stand doing it. Just do the Recommended daily each day, they will take you 15-20min max and you will get 2 rings in 10 days. So that mean that ring should be 0 laurels. Worth case scenario you buy them from the WvW vendor for 25 laurel each.

Now, Accessories can be tricky. Someone without a guild can have difficulty getting commendations. Someone that want to invest heavily into ascended will find a guild just for guild mission. A lot of medium guild will be happy to get help for their mission and you can also find them in LFG sometimes. But I know that for some people, they don’t want to bother with that.

So worst case scenario it’s
20 Laurels for an Amulet
50 Laurels for 2 Rings
80 Laurels for 2 Accessories
30 Laurels for the armors
10-15 Laurels for the weapons

So a total of 195 Laurel for each character. So 1755 for all 9.

But a normal person can with ease drop that to 145 Laurels per characters for a total of 1305 laurels.

And really, if you gonna go after 9 ascended set, it would be stupid to no get a guild for commendation. So it’s really 65 laurels per character for a total of 585 laurels.

This is from someone with 350 laurels, 20 Ascended weapons, 5 Ascended Armors set (3 Zerker, 1 Soldier and 1 Viper), 10 set of Ascended Trinkets, 5 armor set with infusion (2 with AR and 3 with WvW stats),

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

(edited by Thaddeus.4891)