Laurel farming account worth doing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mugiwara Zoro.9240

Mugiwara Zoro.9240

Ok so it’s nearly the end of work and I’m tired but this idea came into my head and I wondered if it is worth doing..

Firstly this would have been more worth it with the 75% account sale but can still work over time.

So the idea is buying an extra account just for the monthly laurels, that’s 55 laurels over 28 days, go to a laurel vendor and convert them to Heavy Crafting Bags. That’s 165 T6 mats in return. Assuming you don’t need T6 and assuming the average price of all the T6 you get back in a month is around 30s each, that works out 50g a month from logging into an account and logging out.

If you got the account during the 75% sale you make back the 500 gems in less than two months and it’s then just profit after that. Only thought of this cos I have 600 laurels hanging around and worked out it’s about 540g worth of T6 mats…

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

it’s actually worth more laurels than that if you play the account too because of achievement chests. it’s worth it for sure. i think during the sales is when you do it though. you get a whole pane of extra storage and crafting mat storage as well. i use the other characters as mules and have my ele on my second account locked at level 48 to gather linen in pvp from salvages since rewards are level appropriate.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: gaspara.4079

gaspara.4079

Additionally you will collect tome of knowledge which can be used to level characters without playing them. You can get them to about level 25 and then park them at the end of a jumping puzzle and get a free ~40% chance per character at silver doubloons every day, which add up to serious gold quickly.

Also there is still the free items from story rewards.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

If you consider buying gems with rl cash to turn into gold you’ll get 800gems for 10 dollars or about 92 gold. If you buy another account for that same 10 dollars you’ll get the same 92g in less than 2 months and everything after that is bonus.

As long as you don’t need the gold now. I think the extra account is the clear way to go.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Tink.9486

Tink.9486

Its worth it, I have 2 accounts for that reason now. I would not even consider making a Legendary without this! Now that I have 2 I can get the mats to make my first Legendary a lot easier and at no cost to me! So yes its def worth it, and of course if you do not need the mats you can indeed sell them.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

This is exactly why login rewards were a terrible idea. Basically richer people can camp multiple accounts and mess up the market.

Removing monthlies in favor of something that takes no skills and can be exploited was a huge mistake by Anet.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

It’s definitely worth it. $10 account to double your daily income.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

This is exactly why login rewards were a terrible idea. Basically richer people can camp multiple accounts and mess up the market.

“Richer people” lol are you for real? It’s like $10 when it’s on sale

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Someone could get 25 accounts for 250$ or even more to manipulate the market, hence the “richer” as an adjective.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

One account is not that big a deal, gold wise. If you get 55 laurels a month and use those to get and sell the T6 mats, assuming you can get 30 silver each, on average, that’s 1.76 gold a day extra. It’s a nice little benefit but about what you would get for doing a dungeon run after selling or salvaging everything you get, including any dungeon bought exotic.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

A second account is so worth it, Laurels, storage, a second for your personal Guild Bank just in case you accidentally leave it and being able to play privately away from your main Guild or family or friends just for some peaceful roaming. I am so happy I have 2 accounts.

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

Removing monthlies in favor of something that takes no skills and can be exploited was a huge mistake by Anet.

Get a better job?

Seriously, you do realize that gem & account sales is the primary revenue for the game, right? Perhaps they should make it free and discard any future content additions?

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Someone could get 25 accounts for 250$ or even more to manipulate the market, hence the “richer” as an adjective.

That someone would also need to buy kitten. If someone is just going to throw money at it then it is much simpler to just buy the gold anyway.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I do like the privacy thing and the guild bank security. I can log on to my alt account and level some chars quietly and guildies, friends and followers can’t see I’m on. It actually make me some gold harvesting low level mats, doing dailies and a little PvP, which I then send to my main.

After the time where I read about the guy that accidentally left a guild he had full of mats he was storing, guild security is no small consideration.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

yeah id say its worth doing i bought one myselff but i would like to point out one thing before you make that decision
the current daily reward system is subject to Anet’s whim to change when they feel like it for now all you gotta do is log in but i suspect at a later date that will change and they will require you to finish your daily to get the reward or they will make it subject to a time frame you must play for within that day i.e 30 mins play time ect

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Hmm, so rich guy could either get 25 accounts for $250, log on to each one every day for log in rewards until they can get the laurels, to then sell on the TP for money. Or…the rich guy could save himself tons of time and effort and accomplish the same thing by purchasing $250 in gems and converting them to gold….

I’m thinking no “rich” guy is dumb enough to waste the time on buying additional accounts to slowly make money when they could get the benefit instantly.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I always find it a bit funny when gamers talk as if they’re poor or have no disposable income. $10 on a second account is nothing when you look at the cost of a gaming pc, your internet bill, and the fact that you can afford to buy games like GW2. In some cases add in the cost of a gaming mouse, keyboard, and head set. I mean overall, $10 is nothing when you look back at the other things you’ve bought for the game.

Posted by: Akikaze.1307

Akikaze.1307

I always find it a bit funny when gamers talk as if they’re poor or have no disposable income. $10 on a second account is nothing when you look at the cost of a gaming pc, your internet bill, and the fact that you can afford to buy games like GW2. In some cases add in the cost of a gaming mouse, keyboard, and head set. I mean overall, $10 is nothing when you look back at the other things you’ve bought for the game.

As ironic as that is, that’s also why some can’t afford it when they’ve spent so much already on the PC alone. I know numerous players who can’t afford a proper gaming PC and play on a old laptop that just barely run games.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Hmm, so rich guy could either get 25 accounts for $250, log on to each one every day for log in rewards until they can get the laurels, to then sell on the TP for money. Or…the rich guy could save himself tons of time and effort and accomplish the same thing by purchasing $250 in gems and converting them to gold….

I’m thinking no “rich” guy is dumb enough to waste the time on buying additional accounts to slowly make money when they could get the benefit instantly.

It’s a possibility that someone might buy 25 accounts for the laurels, when you actually look at the numbers.

55 laurels a month for 25 accounts is 4125 T6 mats a month.
Assuming an average price of 30 silver each, that’s 1237 gold/28 days (or 44 gold a day) just for logging in.

250 gold atm is 20,000 gems is 2068 gold at 10.34 gold/100 gems. This means it will only take 47 days to get the 2068 gold, then after that it’s a additional 1237 gold/28 days or about 16,000 gold a year (assuming current prices stay the same) for no extra gems to gold conversions.

I would think some rich guys would rather take the 16k gold for $250 than 2068 gold, even if it does mean the effort of logging into 25 accounts and accepting the login rewards.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Jim Cartwright.1295

Jim Cartwright.1295

If you got the account during the 75% sale you make back the 500 gems in less than two months and it’s then just profit after that.

Just wanna point out that the 500 gems sale in the gem store is just an account upgrade to your current one. It’s not a new account with a new serial code.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I plan on getting a second account for me and my husband next time it goes on sale for the laurels and the mystic coins. I hate how few mystic coins we get now!

Posted by: Pockethole.5031

Pockethole.5031

That someone would also need to buy kitten. If someone is just going to throw money at it then it is much simpler to just buy the gold anyway.

indeed. it would be so extreme it would be pointless.
hint: there should be a new way to get laurels, mystic coins, you name it.

Posted by: Vincent.7452

Vincent.7452

Dealing with logging in on 25+ different account wouldn’t be exactly effortless. It personnally takes me over 20 minutes to deal with 5 accounts so for 25 accounts we are probably talking about over an hour of entering different emails and passwords + loading screens, every day, before you get to do anything else. It’s a very annoying, time consuming and boring process to go through.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

It’s a possibility that someone might buy 25 accounts for the laurels, when you actually look at the numbers.

Assuming an average price of 30 silver each, that’s 1237 gold/28 days (or 44 gold a day) just for logging in.

250 gold atm is 20,000 gems is 2068 gold at 10.34 gold/100 gems. This means it will only take 47 days to get the 2068 gold, then after that it’s a additional 1237 gold/28 days or about 16,000 gold a year (assuming current prices stay the same) for no extra gems to gold conversions.

I would think some rich guys would rather take the 16k gold for $250 than 2068 gold, even if it does mean the effort of logging into 25 accounts and accepting the login rewards.

As someone with 2 accounts (the 2nd specifically for “laureling”), I can say that if I had 25 different accounts to log in every day I would go crazy. But, maybe there are people out there that are crazy enough to do it.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Just a flesh wound.3589

As someone with 2 accounts (the 2nd specifically for “laureling”), I can say that if I had 25 different accounts to log in every day I would go crazy. But, maybe there are people out there that are crazy enough to do it.

There’s one guy who posts regularly on the forums and his signature says he has 30 accounts. If he logs in to each daily, that’s about 55 gold a day (19k per year).

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I fail to see the issue. If people want to spend 3 hours logging into accounts everyday, sure, let them. Money for Anet, more stuff on the AH.

Having 20 gold, 200 gold or 2000 gold is irrelevant in GW2. I would like to have 10 legendaries just as much as the next player, but its 99% cosmetics (the other 1% being the actual boost in stats that ascended gives).

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Yes, its worth doing as long as T6 mats are valuable. Doing it with 30 accounts and takes around 15min per day only. But I have fast loading times, so your experience may vary.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It really is just a convenience thing. A second account is better than buying a material storage pane and an extra inventory bag. You get 5 characters you can treat as mules. You get 250 more spots to store materials and an extra bank tab. During the $10 sales for a new game, the value is incredible.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Cbomb.4310

Cbomb.4310

Its worth doing. I got a 3rd account on the recent sale because my 2nd account was paying off so well.

The ‘rich get richer’ argument is ridiculous. Grrr.. people that shop at Aldis are saving so much money! If only I had a quarter to use their shopping carts! Rich get richer!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• The least-effort method is just logon for the 55 laurel login rewards. At current values, this generates over 40g/month at a one-time cost of US$10 and ongoing costs of less than 5 minutes/day (taking into account converting laurels etc).
  • US$10 could otherwise buy you 800 gems, which converts to ~80g at today’s prices and peaked at 96g in January.

Unless/until ANet changes the laurel rewards, it takes less than 3 months for the account to pay for itself.

As others have noted, you can also do other things with two accounts:

• Increase storage capacity.
  • Chest farm via parked characters.
  • Farm world bosses (if you know how to multibox within the Terms of Service). Requires level up, which can be done without much effort (albeit slowly) by doing certainly dailies, esp. PvP.
  • Obtain additional rewards via achievements, harvesting home instance nodes, etc.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

I have 4 accounts for the sake of laurels. I just can’t resist those $10 sales. I use laurels on my main account to buy ascended trinkets, the other 3 I use to get laurels for t6 mats. After I recently cashed in my laurels I got almost a full stack of all 8 t6 mats needed for making legendaries. Soon I’ll top of my stacks and be that much closer to a legendary.

And yeah having multiple accounts is nice if you can get two instances of the game running at once. I often use one account to mesmer portal characters from another account. Also one of my accounts is on the European WvW ladder so I can mix things up when I want to get some change from the regular matchups in the NA WvW ladder.

(edited by Mo Mo.1947)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Dealing with logging in on 25+ different account wouldn’t be exactly effortless. It personnally takes me over 20 minutes to deal with 5 accounts so for 25 accounts we are probably talking about over an hour of entering different emails and passwords + loading screens, every day, before you get to do anything else. It’s a very annoying, time consuming and boring process to go through.

Entering email/password can be bypassed by creating shortcuts for each account and modifying the target line. Only advisable if you’re the only one who uses the computer and you’re careful about what you download/do online. It doesn’t take much effort at all.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Entering email/password can be bypassed by creating shortcuts for each account and modifying the target line. Only advisable if you’re the only one who uses the computer and you’re careful about what you download/do online. It doesn’t take much effort at all.

I advise using a password manager like KeePass. Its much more secure.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.