Learn from WoW

Learn from WoW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

Ok, so after playing this game for two years, I decided to give WoW a shot. I did the free trial to level 20, and it was a blast.

Leveling was fun, and not only did it not feel like a grind(as a new player to gw2 the first 20 levels took ages) but there were diverse quests, such as doing wave-defense missions, and there was an on-rails shooter section too.
On top of that, quests interacted with each other. For example, I did a quest for a demon, and then I had to do another quest to kill that demon, in order to atone for my sins.
Another thing to note is the detail involved in the questing. Quests have tons of flavor text, and directly relate to the world around you. Guild wars 2 hearts give you maybe 2 sentences, and even then, most people miss out, because you are never required to go talk to the person giving the quest.
For me, a part that stood out to me especially was the rate of gear acquisition. From questing, you frequently received new gear that looked different from what you already had.
Another thing that WoW has is tangible class roles. I know, none of us want the holy trinity, but currently, the split between heavy, medium, and light classes feel pretty weak. Guardians and warriors lack active defenses, besides the occasional shield block or agis proc, healing doesn’t feel rewarding, and you rarely ever have the thrill of seeing big numbers flash onto your screen from damage(besides DH or Reaper).
WoW also has far more spells, allowing you to have more options, as well as adding more flavor to each class. Not that guild wars needs to add more slots for skills, but a few added skills to replace what we currently have would be nice. Maybe fighting techniques that you get when you equip a new set of traits?
While we are on the concept of traits, wow does them better. Each line that you choose to go down greatly impacts your play style, allowing you to have a real sense of uniqueness. For example, nobody in a WoW plays a warrior. Anyone who plays identifies as a fury warrior, an arms warrior, or a protection warrior. Currently, none of the base classes without elite specs have this. A good solution might be linking utility skills to traits, either adding new skills based on traits you take, or linking utility families to trait families, for example, linking confederations to zeal for guardians. This would make it so that you would only be able to take confederations if you spec into the zeal trait line. This would shake up the meta extremely, I know, but it would force players to be creative, and add identity to the build that you run.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to your feedback

(edited by InsidiousWaffle.7086)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: HakunaMataBaby.2734

HakunaMataBaby.2734

WAaaaaaaaaaait, you’re saying gw2 should learn from one the biggest grind mmos today? gw2- farm ascended gear and never need to grind endgame gear again.
wow- grind for weeks to get top notch raid gear, pay tons of gold to gem slot, just to have it all invalid in a few months.

Also, gw2 should not have more spells, while I do understand that having a lot of spells is nice at times, this is the one of the most casual mmos you can play. I don’t think gw2 is for you just by what i’ve read.

Sorry but no, keep WoW out of gw2 please.

The one thing that I did like about WoW though was the questing somewhat, It always had a story to it, as in gw2 your helping farmers or killing centaurs just “Cuz” however keep in mind, WoW had 3 strategy games to build up it’s story. So of course the story is 100x better imo.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

One word, No. WoW is completely different to GW2, I play GW2 because it is not WoW!

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ilMasa.2546

ilMasa.2546

Yea pls go ahead on WoW:

• get 1 pg to the level cap first
  • farm the equip you need to advance in the endgame (have fun with the itemlevel++ grind and weekly bosses cooldown)
  • make 2 new alts.
  • repeat
  • have fun with the garrison system (the first week its actually fun)
  • pay your montly fee and/or farm to pay it with the ingame currency

Now,at this point,u can actually say things like “shuld learn from WoW” because you actually know what your talking about. <3 <3 <3

Yea anet shuld add more spells just like WoW…unfortunally in the past 3 years Blizzard already took out so many of those spells to make WoW even “more easy to play” u have no idea…

And btw…if u think the actual WoW is a grindfest…pls take a time machine and get back to 2006,to the vanilla experience and rank up some Timbermaw Hold reputation

(edited by ilMasa.2546)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Maybe…after 10 years, no one will play a Warrior in GW2, but play a Berserker Warrior, Elite #2 Warrior, Elite #3 Warrior, etc.

Who knows?

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I can’t even begin to…

Okay, you stick with your shiny new MMO and enjoy that fresh MMO feel.

Let’s talk again once you’ve hit cap level in WoW, raided and geared up your character to the absolute maximum, then had it get wiped by the next expansion which is going to hit in about 1 year.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: InsidiousWaffle.7086

InsidiousWaffle.7086

/thread…pls…

-I didn’t ask for gear grind, I didn’t say GW needed it.
-I didn’t say to reduce the grind, I just want quests to feel more meaningful
-Saying stay away from wow because it’s wow is a silly argument
Because wow is one of the most successful games in the history of games, and there is a reason that so many people stick around.

Nobody has talked about linking utility types to base traits
Nobody has talked about adding more weapon skins(even If they are only slight re colors/variations)
I don’t understand why new/different weapon skills is a bad thing… More diversity is always a good thing, and the only people who would really be affected in a negative way are the casual ranked pvpers and the casual world v world roamers, because they wouldn’t want to learn the new spells and skills. Luckily, most ranked pvpers and world v worlders are considered pretty hardcore, and if you can’t be bothered to learn other classes skills you probably shouldn’t be playing WvW or PvP

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

I wouldn’t encourage learning from another game, because that in many cases leads to replicas. I’d say learn from your mistakes and encourage innovation, listen to your community of selected constructive feedback.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

There are umpteen million WoW clones that exist in the world, many of which are free to play. GW2 is not one.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

I won’t go into which is better or which has more grind, but I will tell you this.

They are two different games designed to cater to two different types of players. GW2 was never meant to be a “WoW clone”. It did things differently for a reason. To get people away from the traditional mechanics of MMORPGs and into something new.

For example, questing. Questing in WoW is done in the traditional sense with hubs that you gather quests from. Then go out and complete them and return to turn them all in. In GW2, your “quests” are the Dynamic Events. Not the Renown Hearts. In fact, the Hearts in GW2? Yeah, they were never supposed to be in the game in the first place. Anet added them after beta cause people wanted direction. Dynamic Events in GW2 are your main source of experience and the equivalent of questing in other MMORPGs.

WoW and GW2 both offer you different things. Some things are similar yes, but they play differently. I currently play both WoW and GW2, and enjoy them both. But don’t try to turn one into the other. They are made to be different for good reason. If you want that kind of stuff, enjoy it in WoW. And enjoy GW2 for what GW2 offers. But don’t try to make it into WoW.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Leveling was fun, and not only did it not feel like a grind(as a new player to gw2 the first 20 levels took ages)

I read they dumbed down leveling in WoW. That game is all about getting to max level to do endgame content. Gw2 was designed to be about the journey, so it’s designed to take longer to reach max level through playing in PvE, not race to the end as fast as possible.

On top of that, quests interacted with each other. For example, I did a quest for a demon, and then I had to do another quest to kill that demon, in order to atone for my sins. Another thing to note is the detail involved in the questing. Quests have tons of flavor text, and directly relate to the world around you. Guild wars 2 hearts give you maybe 2 sentences, and even then, most people miss out, because you are never required to go talk to the person giving the quest.

The hearts might not have a lot of detail, but they aren’t the core of the game. Events are the core and that’s where you find your interlocking quests and your lore. Hearts were added after beta testing discovered that people are too used to “on rail” questing and literally didn’t know what do to when they got to a game that didn’t say “go here then go there.”

For me, a part that stood out to me especially was the rate of gear acquisition. From questing, you frequently received new gear that looked different from what you already had.

This game does drop new armor skins as you level and both new armor and weapon skins can be bought from karma merchants. There are also skins you get from crafting. Maybe you already have them in your wardrobe from previous leveling or didn’t check the heart merchants so didn’t realize the number of available skins but this game does have a fair number and it also has a far superior wardrobe system than WoW does.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

the only thing GW2 needs to take from WoW is
ARMOUR IS GOOD, 3 sets is not an expansion.
and LIMITED TIME REWARDS ARE GOOD!
living world rewards for example should only be obtainable while the episodes are live.
i’m fairly certain they’re unveiling the ability to craft seasonal weapons soon too, so there goes the prestige of greatsaw.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

On top of that, quests interacted with each other. For example, I did a quest for a demon, and then I had to do another quest to kill that demon, in order to atone for my sins.

Events in GW2 often trigger off each other, sometimes culminating into huge events. It’s the same, in a different package. The big difference (and an important one to me) is that events in GW2 can be completed by large groups of people. Try to get 45 people to join in on your WoW quest.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: BaconofPigs.1683

BaconofPigs.1683

Ok, so after playing this game for two years, I decided to give WoW a shot. I did the free trial to level 20, and it was a blast.

And after level 20, WoW is P2W game. Otherwise go duel a level 80 with your lv 20 char. RIP. It’s leaking it sub like rain.

Leveling was fun, and not only did it not feel like a grind(as a new player to gw2 the first 20 levels took ages) but there were diverse quests, such as doing wave-defense missions, and there was an on-rails shooter section too.

I don’t know about you but leveling to lv 20 takes me literally 20 seconds if I’m fast and about 20 mins if I’m slow. Please!

Hulloh? Every heart in Gw2 has at least 1 event linked with it if not multiple event chain. Are you sure you played the game?

Another thing to note is the detail involved in the questing. Quests have tons of flavor text, and directly relate to the world around you. Guild wars 2 hearts give you maybe 2 sentences, and even then, most people miss out, because you are never required to go talk to the person giving the quest.

We have moved on from reading wall of text for questing. This is no longer 2002 gaming. Gw2 was released in 2012 last I checked. If I want to read a wall of text that’s remotely interesting, I’d go read a math book.

Did you check out the heart vendors after you finish the heart…

Another thing that WoW has is tangible class roles.

So does gw2. Just not in that terrible wow way.

currently, the split between heavy, medium, and light classes feel pretty weak.

What kind of split? You are talking about base health pool or base armor stat?

Guardians and warriors lack active defenses, besides the occasional shield block or agis proc, healing doesn’t feel rewarding, and you rarely ever have the thrill of seeing big numbers flash onto your screen from damage(besides DH or Reaper).

Uh, helloh? guardians lack active defense?… -.- Not sure if you even played guardian…
Healing is passive not active defense. Big numbers? What big numbers are you talking about? Like if the boss has 100 HP then 10 dmg is BIG you know. It’s relative…

WoW also has far more spells, allowing you to have more options, as well as adding more flavor to each class. Not that guild wars needs to add more slots for skills, but a few added skills to replace what we currently have would be nice. Maybe fighting techniques that you get when you equip a new set of traits?

Quality > Quantity. More doesn’t mean better. wow should be learning from Gw2 tbh. Like when you activate a skill in wow, your entire bar is on cool down. It’s bs.

While we are on the concept of traits, wow does them better.

Not really, it’s worse in wow.

for example, linking confederations to zeal for guardians. This would make it so that you would only be able to take confederations if you spec into the zeal trait line. This would shake up the meta extremely, I know, but it would force players to be creative, and add identity to the build that you run.

Not sure what confederation you’re talking about. The U.S civil war?

(edited by BaconofPigs.1683)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Rogue Sol.1457

Rogue Sol.1457

Can’t agree with this, as someone who’s been talked into playing WoW. 20 levels in that game took a while for me, even though starter areas were meant to speed you along with the story. After it was grinding HELL. A friend sad vanilla’s very bland, but the good stuff was in Burning Crusade or Lich King, which is over level 60. Meaning I would’ve had over 40 levels to grind after free. I nearly quit the game until a friend boosted me, and I tried the content then. WoW’s a slow game to me, clunky too, has some moments that are interesting, but a lot of it I’ve been very ‘meh’ with. Magic was a lot more impressive in GW2, combat fluent, world events are a lot more exciting, hearts are your stand in for standard ‘quest’, and the environment has a lot of intricate areas with some secrets and story to them.

It’s good that you can enjoy the game, but for a number of us it wasn’t much of a fun ride.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ChrizZcE.5981

ChrizZcE.5981

People on here looked at me funny when I said WoW is a lot less grindy than GW2.

In GW2 if I had four hours of playtime I´d spend three and a half hours in the Silverwastes running from chest to chest because everything else in the game is completely unrewarding.

In WoW you get geared by playing the game which I don´t consider grinding.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Gw2 try to redefine the meaning of grind.

Honestly, I prefer the old school of grinding, at least you build bonds with people you grind with. Here, not so much.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Learn from WoW

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

I spent 10k hours on 1 character on WOW, 1k in GW1, and maybe same in GW2 now so I have a reasonable outlook, and the only thing GW2 can learn from WOW, is how to not do things:

Gear = power, fall behind the gear race and you are inviable in pvp or raids (and abused for it)
Gear progression rate out of control, basically Blizzard belive that a constant stream of power upgrades > long term goals. (for e.g i joined MOP and within 2 months I had a legendary for an alt lol.
Gear – progression rate is so fast, gear you get quickly becomes out of date.
Foul community, a mixture of jaded, cynical and the arrogant, partially down to a model where everyone tries to be better than everyone else (good old meters to thatnk for that)
Skills are not wide and expansive, you MUST play the meta builds or get abused.
Damage meter culture, ‘OMG’ why did you only do x dps etc etc
Trinity – 3 basic roles, no variation, dull.
Skills – nothing is reactive, its all about perfecting a rotation of button clicks. Whatsmore the general viewpoint on wows own community is that the skills have been dumbed down to a ridiculous level.
Lowest release rate for all the AAA.
Most expensive.
Aged engine
Weak graphics
wrecked crafting (thanks to their last expansion)
Disrespect for its own lore. Ironically WOW is renowned for great storylines, but not with WOD.
no WVW
PVP utterly broken due to balancing issues.
The ‘race’ to max level makes old content dead fast.
Phasing instead of downlevelling players.
5 man up to pug raids balancing broken, you basically gather entire rooms and aoe without caring about dmg or healing.

Thats probably enough to be getting on with.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Learn from WoW

BaconofPigs.1683

People on here looked at me funny when I said WoW is a lot less grindy than GW2.

In GW2 if I had four hours of playtime I´d spend three and a half hours in the Silverwastes running from chest to chest because everything else in the game is completely unrewarding.

You get gear by playing the game in gw2 as well. The gear you while playing don’t matter and are just trashed anyway in both games unless it’s the from the highest raid tier. In wow every expansion your previous gear are now trash and you have to keep grinding for the new ones. You have a hard time maintaining one or two bis character. Not so in gw2. My bis gear in gw2 which i obtained 3 years ago and 2 years ago are still bis. If there is grind its optional for extra characters

Learn from WoW

BaconofPigs.1683

The ‘race’ to max level makes old content dead fast.

They could also pay an extra 50 bucks for a max level character.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Guess this is a good spot to repost this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHsll9LFZ4

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ilMasa.2546

ilMasa.2546

/thread…pls…

-I didn’t ask for gear grind, I didn’t say GW needed it.
-I didn’t say to reduce the grind, I just want quests to feel more meaningful
Because wow is one of the most successful games in the history of games, and there is a reason that so many people stick around.

Nobody has talked about linking utility types to base traits
Nobody has talked about adding more weapon skins(even If they are only slight re colors/variations)
I don’t understand why new/different weapon skills is a bad thing… More diversity is always a good thing, and the only people who would really be affected in a negative way are the casual ranked pvpers and the casual world v world roamers, because they wouldn’t want to learn the new spells and skills. Luckily, most ranked pvpers and world v worlders are considered pretty hardcore, and if you can’t be bothered to learn other classes skills you probably shouldn’t be playing WvW or PvP

/reason please.

Dude Anet already kittened up with the little they have (in comparison with wow),cant even do a proper class balance with 2 weapon x class,and u want more!?Yea ofc ill be glad to have a GS on my engi but lets be realistic…The scrapper was tested 2 weeks before the release…and gyros were still kittened on the actual release,and so goes on.

Second u only did a free trial of 20 levels on WoW…what do u know about the game!?As someone said WoW and Gw2 are 2 totally different experiences,u cant even compare any single aspect of the game.WoW PvE vs Gw2 living story!?

Gw2 endgame shuld have be WvW from the begining.On GW2 u fart u levelup,everything u do is meant to level up as fast as possible,for what,pve speaking,unlock a collection or get that dungeon skin!?But nope people wanted pve contents.

And here we r: wvw maps r empty,spvp is a joke (even with the huge esport BS) and the pve is what it is: a zerg farming mindless event to unlock a mastery…till the next living world episode.Come on.The kittening commander tag was a WvW thing…and u get more commanders farming events than commanders actually leading in WvW…kitten me!

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m guessing that just about any MMO that feels new and has never been played before by a given person is going to have its honeymoon stage.

I agree with those that have said you prolly need to play WoW longer before you can really make a fair comparison.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

Yeah WoW is pretty awesome, the lore/world/characters are great.

Looking forward to Legion…aside from the killing off of some of these great characters….Tirion…Varian….Why Blizzard…spoilers…

God I wish we had such characters in Gw2. Strong and manly/masculine/w/e! Manly voice actors! Not skinny kitten mode like the ones we have in Gw2. God they are just so kitten weak here.

Stronger looking body options please Anet for Humans. Sick of my skinny legs.

I’m not kidding, If the characters of Wow went to war with Gw2 characters Wow would probably win through staring Gw2 down. No contest.

Everything just feels so…feminine…

Also agree with classes needing more defined roles, everyone being able to do mostly everything sucks. I don’t know why I’m playing a heavy class anymore.

I had hope when it came to raids but twas disappointed. Necros and Eles can tank kitten .

I’m starting to wonder why I even play this actually. O_o

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Brazzi.2045

Brazzi.2045

Much rether roam in empty wvw maps than get rekt by i730 pve heroes… Or sit in 10min+ random unranked bg queues just to fight some bots or get rufl stoped by premadeds.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Guess this is a good spot to repost this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTHsll9LFZ4

God, I agree with that video so much. My first experience was a hugely emotional one, Star Wars Galaxies in the early days. I mean, back before they had any kind of mounts even or fast travel. I think developers forget how amazing the experience can be of doing something like spending 20 minutes traversing a vast environment on foot to get to the destination you want to reach.

For me, that kind of thing was part of what created a sense of scope. It made the virtual world feel more real and it made it feel more dangerous too. And there was also a sense of adventure in just wandering and seeing what was out there. Points of Interest weren’t a mechanic that you go to to make a bar move. They were special areas out in the middle of nowhere. They were interesting locations to explore for exploration’s sake.

I miss that feeling. I miss pacing that felt realistic. That’s why I continue to seek out MMOs that have sandbox elements… cause I miss the feeling of being able to blunder my way through a world that feels like a world.

Or words to that effect.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Sounds like you want a game with more bondage and discipline…

Learn from WoW

Posted by: beefjus.9347

beefjus.9347

Apart from the fact that they’re both MMORPGs, they’re entirely different creatures. I played WoW for eight years before eventually switching to GW2 (played both on and off since then), and all I can say is that GW2 is a more pleasant experience, while WoW is more rigid but also more fulfilling. GW2 offers lots of things to do right off the bat, which makes it a great game to just pick up and drop at any point in time. WoW, on the other hand requires more dedication, but rewards you so much more in the form of gear and structured progression. In this sense, I guess GW2 could learn from WoW in terms of structured progression, and WoW could learn how to make a better community from GW2.

Current Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Beefjus/saved/WBx323
Planning on upgrading to a GTX980ti by late 2016

(edited by beefjus.9347)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

where do I start?

Leveling Experience:
Faster in WoW? Yes, it HAS to be. You have 100 levels (110 next year) to get through to get to their end game content. This wasn’t the case 10yrs ago. Heck, back in vanilla, depending on your class, it could take you over a month to hit max level (its been awhile, but basically any class that could heal couldn’t deal dmg, so have fun killing stuff!). Now, due to balance changes, and exp between levels being cut repeatedly, you barely explore any of all the zones, since once you hit the level to go to the next continent, you go there for a massive gear boost.

Comparing hearts to questing is stupid. Sorry. Quests give you background sure, but lets face it, its faster to just click accept and go run to X, Do/kill/gather Y, then run back to turn in (least in most till I think their newest added some “turn in on the spot”). GW2 lore is more spread out that if you want to learn about it, go find it and discover it for yourself. A better way imo, since it gives more feel of self accomplishment.

GW2 has a soft trinity of control, dmg, and support. Its not very apparent in dungeons and open world (least you may not notice), but in raids its looked for.

For spells, more =/= better. If you would know, WoW had ALOT more spells than they do now. I mean, soothe animal, such a useful spell…oh wait….And they are still removing more now. Even in GW1 with its amount of abilities, some were basically useless, or repeats with a slight change, making it superior to its predecessor. So that skill became useless.

As for uniqueness, you don’t know what type of playstyle someone is playing unless they tell you, or you pay attention to buffs, dots, and weapons. See that warrior with a bunch of signets and greatsword? Signet warrior (he’ll crit a lot and stack might). Necro with minions? Minion master. The differences are there. But i will give it that some of the older traits need overhauled so it IS more of a choice. And adding weapon skills to pick would be nice, but atm with how balance is, I wouldn’t go touching that.

You’re last one is already in the game. Its called “specializations”. See a warrior on fire? Berserker. Necro wielding a giant scythe in his shroud? Reaper. Guardian with a bow? Dragon Hunter. All locked in to their own trait lines in order to be considered that specialization.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Playing a game for a few weeks doesn’t make you an expert in it. Guild Wars 2 has a flat leveling curve. WoW does not. The higher you get the more points you need to level.

If you level from 79-80 in Guild Wars 2 it takes half an hour if you do it efficiently. Let’s see how long that takes you in WoW.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

when it comes to WoW i will say the most bad part about it is paying to play it. but at lest you know you will have the game updated with out any questions at all. but as for the rest of it. yes it has lots of skills and so forth and you can move the ui stuff around if i remember it right . and it has quests which do beat the hearts quests . and i will say with wow you got no server lag and so forth . but yet gw2 has its good points but as of late it has gotten more bad points then the good ones . i do hope that changes but yet waiting 3 mo,s for updates is a major kitten in my book . so it is a give and take both ways . and you can all talk about both points of both games . but yet i got to say if things in gw2 does not get better . lets just say from what i see right now ahh if no changes happen here . other then people leaving the game well then i think maybe anet will git the idea or shut it down like they did city of heros . but i have seen a lot of people leaving . and not coming back but yet still got to hold out hope for this game . unless the next update goes even more kitten bad

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Neox.3497

Neox.3497

Well WoW finally get’s a wardrobe too. So taking good things from other games is not that bad. (Did you know WoW has an account bound toy tab?)

GW2 has besides the personal story nothing really ‘personal’ in the open world. It doesn’t matter if you are at a event alone, with other players or not at all. It really doesn’t matter. That’s what OP probably is missing and it’s also a good point.

Obviously having tons of quests with “kill 10 monkeys” isn’t what a game need but maybe a guy who is talking with you and gives you a “quests” with a background isn’t that bad after all.

What for example if instead of having mastery points placed around the world you had small quests where people tell you to do certain things. Maybe instead of having collections that magically appear have actual NPCs talking with you, giving you the items and so on? Idk, IMO it seems more interesting than going to point A and pressing F.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I feel the need to go at this point for point.

I’m curious what you did to level in GW2, because it’s increadily easy to do. Hell, you can level to ten just by map completing the six cities in about an hour. By the time you’ve map completed any of the starter zones, presumably doing the events in the areas too, you should be level 15-20. It takes no time at all.

It also gives you a chance to experience a wide variety of different events in the area, some of which play off each other and include a variety of interesting lore. Not just flavor text, but actually interactions with characters explaining the world around you. It’s also possible to talk with many of the different characters involved in events to get even more information.

Gear acquisition has to be fast paced because every five levels you require an entirely new set of gear or else you can’t actually compete at your level. This is not the case in GW2. There is also a vast array of different gear looks in the game, as indicated by the size of the wardrobe, part of the point of the game, in fact, is to come up with the look that appeals to you most. I haven’t played WoW in a long time, but I was under the impression that wasn’t the case there. There isn’t a lot of room to define your appearance, you look like whatever the best gear for your level is and that’s it.

Another thing that WoW has is tangible class roles. I know, none of us want the holy trinity, but currently, the split between heavy, medium, and light classes feel pretty weak. Guardians and warriors lack active defenses, besides the occasional shield block or agis proc, healing doesn’t feel rewarding, and you rarely ever have the thrill of seeing big numbers flash onto your screen from damage(besides DH or Reaper).

Healing and Tanking were never intended to be roles in GW2, thus is makes sense that they’re not rewarding. I will grant that the two roles that were supposed to exist aren’t necessarily rewarding either, but they’re more so than those. Damage, Support (not healing, support) and Control were supposed to be the roles.

And how many do you actually use? What is the point of five bars full of garbage powers you don’t even use or need? I would like to have a little more options, I would like to be able to swap out weapon powers, or just have more weapons, but I don’t need more active skills than what I currently have.

While we are on the concept of traits, wow does them better. Each line that you choose to go down greatly impacts your play style, allowing you to have a real sense of uniqueness. For example, nobody in a WoW plays a warrior. Anyone who plays identifies as a fury warrior, an arms warrior, or a protection warrior. Currently, none of the base classes without elite specs have this. A good solution might be linking utility skills to traits, either adding new skills based on traits you take, or linking utility families to trait families, for example, linking confederations to zeal for guardians. This would make it so that you would only be able to take confederations if you spec into the zeal trait line. This would shake up the meta extremely, I know, but it would force players to be creative, and add identity to the build that you run.

This is actually the very real idea behind the current trait system. Not that last part, though, that last part is a bad idea. Each trait line is already linked to a weapon and a skill group, it doesn’t need to also restrict them. Base traits aren’t elites.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Learn from WoW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

As far as I’m concerned, GW2 has already taken too much from WoW. I’d like the game to be less like WoW than it is. Unfortunately, GW2 seems to be moving closer to WoW, rather than further away.

Why does GW2 copy stuff from WoW? Because MMO consumers demand these things. Remember when GW2 launched with an in-game LFG that was not useful, and players used a 3rd party site to party up? Remember the demand for in-game LFG? Remember the players saying that, “No MMO should be without this feature.” Get enough people saying that about enough features, and enough developers listening, and you start to get MMO’s that are converging to be more like each other, rather than diverging to be something novel and different. I can empathize with the guy who posted the video Doggie linked to. MMO’s ain’t what they used to be. GW2 is a better game for me than most others, but it’s not as good a game for me as it was when it came out.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

WoW LFD = an automatic system that finds + place you with random ppl + telports you in the istance , automaticaly without talking to any1

Old GW2 LFG where overflow based (not server cross-over) you had to be lucky to be placed in high populated overflow and you had that sucky blue icon , that i thought it was a Dev icon ….
i mean coomnon i didnt try touch them in PvP for that reason ……

Check from Pandaria till Legion , the roles are reversed

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

As far as I’m concerned, GW2 has already taken too much from WoW. I’d like the game to be less like WoW than it is. Unfortunately, GW2 seems to be moving closer to WoW, rather than further away.

Why does GW2 copy stuff from WoW? Because MMO consumers demand these things. Remember when GW2 launched with an in-game LFG that was not useful, and players used a 3rd party site to party up? Remember the demand for in-game LFG? Remember the players saying that, “No MMO should be without this feature.” Get enough people saying that about enough features, and enough developers listening, and you start to get MMO’s that are converging to be more like each other, rather than diverging to be something novel and different. I can empathize with the guy who posted the video Doggie linked to. MMO’s ain’t what they used to be. GW2 is a better game for me than most others, but it’s not as good a game for me as it was when it came out.

I’m sorry, what? GW2 is too much like WoW because they fixed a feature that was in the game at launch so that it actually is functional and useful? The LFG tool did need to be fixed, because you shouldn’t have to rely on a third party program in order to use a function that actually exists in game. That would be like getting upset that they fixed the search function on these forums when google works just fine for that purpose.

It’s hard to equate that to something like adding mounts and trinity, though, or even any of the stuff the OP is talking about.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

Some folks like WoW better. Some prefer GW2. Some like aspects of each. The OP thinks GW2 could learn some things from WoW. Other people probably think WoW could learn some things from GW2. It’s likely everybody is “right.” And perhaps wrong, too. If you find a game you like, play it and smile.

I find most people can benefit from breathing deeper, drinking more water, taking regular walks, and eating more fiber. And smiling. That’s good, too.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Some folks like WoW better. Some prefer GW2. Some like aspects of each. The OP thinks GW2 could learn some things from WoW. Other people probably think WoW could learn some things from GW2. It’s likely everybody is “right.” And perhaps wrong, too. If you find a game you like, play it and smile.

I find most people can benefit from breathing deeper, drinking more water, taking regular walks, and eating more fiber. And smiling. That’s good, too.

But walking, eating, and drinking is so grindy! And smiling is so casual.

In all seriousness though, I reckon you may be on to something.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Learn from WoW

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m sorry, what? GW2 is too much like WoW because they fixed a feature that was in the game at launch so that it actually is functional and useful? The LFG tool did need to be fixed, because you shouldn’t have to rely on a third party program in order to use a function that actually exists in game. That would be like getting upset that they fixed the search function on these forums when google works just fine for that purpose.

It’s hard to equate that to something like adding mounts and trinity, though, or even any of the stuff the OP is talking about.

Perhaps, instead of complaining about the LFG, I was using that feature as an example of developers adding things from other games because consumers say, “No MMO should be without X.” or similar. I could have used other things, but chose not to because LFG is pretty innocuous and I didn’t want a tangent to start around a charged topic. Try reading again with that in mind, please.

If I’m complaining, it’s not about a specific copied feature, it’s about the convergence in the genre, which — to me — seems to be so because developers think that’s what consumers want.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

I spent 10k hours on 1 character on WOW, 1k in GW1, and maybe same in GW2 now so I have a reasonable outlook, and the only thing GW2 can learn from WOW, is how to not do things:

Gear = power, fall behind the gear race and you are inviable in pvp or raids (and abused for it)

People are getting abused in GW2 if they attempt to raid in anything but the expected full Ascended set.

Foul community, a mixture of jaded, cynical and the arrogant, partially down to a model where everyone tries to be better than everyone else (good old meters to thatnk for that)

Meters are already part of the GW2 raid scene even though Anet provide zero tools to make them accurate.

Skills are not wide and expansive, you MUST play the meta builds or get abused.

Same here, if you want to be accepted for raiding play the meta dictated by the min/maxers or get the kitten out.

Trinity – 3 basic roles, no variation, dull.

Oh my, GW2 hits it again .. for example Druid is a 100% trinity healer, it has no useful purpose outside raids unless you really want to play it regardless .. the Elite skills are entirely about adding trinity-friendly classes to GW2 for raiding.

Whatsmore the general viewpoint on wows own community is that the skills have been dumbed down to a ridiculous level.

Clearly GW2 can’t be accused of this since with only 10 (at the most generous) skills being available its hard to dumb that down .. unless you got to ESO I guess.

PVP utterly broken due to balancing issues.

Judging by the PVP complaints round here GW2 is very similar.

Phasing instead of downlevelling players.

No idea what you’re referring to here, I can’t think of any ‘downleveling’ in WOW .. however the upleveling in GW2 seems pretty lame (Fractals being the most obvious).

See, if you take off the rose-tinted spectacles and look at GW2 objectively there’s a LOT of similarities with WOW.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I play GW2 because it is not WoW!

M’kay.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Learn from WoW

Posted by: IEatCabbage.1907

IEatCabbage.1907

you know that’s just like your opinion man…
In WoW the only way to improve you gear is to do raid in LFR over and over until your item level average reaches enough to join groups to do mythical raid over and over until you get enough item level to do legendary raid with group over and over until you get the highest item level so you don’t get beat in pvp…
You said you played for the first 20 levels, I tell you as someone with 698 average item level
Oh and the new expansion for WoW is 100x the grind, you do the same daily (kill 200 of the mobs in this zone) everyday there’s not even event, it’s literally flame citadel grind. It’s so bad, when the expansion came out it had 11 million+ subs active in a week and within 4 months of the launch the latest number of subs has dropped to 5 million is still dropping. It is the most grind game, you can look up WoW Youtubers and see it for yourself if you don’t believe me.

Another issue with WoW is that the hp and damage with level goes up linearly from 1-80 then it goes quadratically from 85 to 90 and then it goes exponentially from 90-100, if you look at the graph from level 100 in comparison to level 98, you are about 15-20 times stronger (15- 20 x more hp and damage). This means you would never ever visit lower zones because there’s no benefit, the biggest complaints in WoW is that everyone stays in their capital or garrison queuing for raids and never ever leaves the city.
When you get to level 100 you will see what I mean.

(edited by IEatCabbage.1907)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

lel people still think WoW is good?

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Yes. Because it is good. But I guess you’re above good quality products.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

/thread…pls…

WoW was lucky, But if you look at how many people are still playing now, that where playing when Wow launched, you’ll find that WoW have a very small number.

Saying to stay away from WoW because it’s WoW is not a silly argument. GW2 and WoW are very, very different games. one has trinity, one dose not, they both have wildly different combat systems. Every Xpac Wow throws out all the work you did to get your gear. There are many other points to the argument, but I trust you get my point.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Yes. Because it is good. But I guess you’re above good quality products.

What kind of low standards are you judging it on?

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

A lot of dynamic events function precisely like that. Not to mention the Personal Story.

That’s because in Guild Wars 2, you are not a legendary/destined/foretold hero from Day 1. You’re just a normal guy, who happens to win the favor of his people, joins an international organization and eventually the military. Most of the stuff that you end up doing is menial tasks exactly because you’re not some legendary warrior who gets called to slay dragons and whatnot.

Another thing that WoW has is tangible class roles. I know, none of us want the holy trinity, but currently, the split between heavy, medium, and light classes feel pretty weak. Guardians and warriors lack active defenses, besides the occasional shield block or agis proc, healing doesn’t feel rewarding, and you rarely ever have the thrill of seeing big numbers flash onto your screen from damage(besides DH or Reaper)

I don’t think you have played Warrior too much. Stances are an entire set of skills that are active defense/offense.

And what you mean by “big numbers” is entirely subjective. If you’re playing a build that has very high critical hit rate, you’re obviously never going to be fazed by critical damage. But there are skills that are designed with high damage coefficients, such as Hundred Blades, Pistol Whip, Eviscerate, and Kill Shot.

Having more skills is redundant as kitten when you just end up making macros out of multiple skills cast in succession. Not to mention having skills that have objectively superior counterparts.

Oh and btw, the Elite Specialization does exactly what you said. It gives you access to a new set of skills and a weapon.

In Guild Wars 2, most people describe their profession not based on their traits, but the entire build they are using, such as “Shoutbow Warrior”. Or by the type of damage they are doing, such as “Condi Thief”.

And we’re already seeing linking between traits and utilities: An elite specialization unlocks a new set of skills and a new weapon. And there are weapon specific traits that result in obvious links between weapons and traitlines.

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

God I wish we had such characters in Gw2. Strong and manly/masculine/w/e! Manly voice actors! Not skinny kitten mode like the ones we have in Gw2. God they are just so kitten weak here.

Stronger looking body options please Anet for Humans. Sick of my skinny legs.

I’m not kidding, If the characters of Wow went to war with Gw2 characters Wow would probably win through staring Gw2 down. No contest.

Everything just feels so…feminine…

Femininity doesn’t equal weakness nor does it make it a bad thing. The characters are more emotionally invested into their world and their friends. I actually find it refreshing because it makes the characters more believable than having the detached muscular big guys who are super serious and lack a depth of feeling.

While I think those kind of characters can be cool and interesting, they’ve been done to death and I kinda like seeing characters you could realistically be friends with in real life,it’s a nice change. I do agree that the overall amount of lore is not as large as it is in WoW and you definitely have to dig for it a lot more but the lore is certainly not bad, it’s just less in your face.

Which again makes the world more believable because in real life you don’t constantly read novels worth of history about every object and person you meet. Even if like me you like to learn and understand things most of the world around you is just there. In-depth explanations aren’t constantly required, especially when in the midst of a crisis where immediate actions are necessary and you can’t just stand around to read a library of books.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: glentc.2159

glentc.2159

Don’t forget about the WoW elitist and their oh so precious Gear Score system. Even though you might already have enough a gear score to participate in a particular raid, the raid organizers will turn you away because they want players with 300-400+ scores higher then what the raid requires. That is pure insanity. WoW endgame and elitist players are very obnoxious.

Too bad FFXIV followed the same gear scoring path to a degree. The same type of gear elitism exists and you’ll be locked out of raids.

I just wish back in the day that EQ2 didn’t screw up their game so badly for the first few years followed up with that dreadful Vanguard. Maybe the gaming world might have been different.

(edited by glentc.2159)

Learn from WoW

Posted by: Supernaut.2684

Supernaut.2684

Don’t forget about the WoW elitist and their oh so precious Gear Score system. Even though you might already have enough a gear score to participate in a particular raid, the raid organizers will turn you away because they want players with 300-400+ scores higher then what the raid requires. That is pure insanity. WoW endgame and elitist players are very obnoxious.

Too bad FFXIV followed the same gear scoring path to a degree. The same type of gear elitism exists and you’ll be locked out of raids.

I just wish back in the day that EQ2 didn’t screw up their game so badly for the first few years followed up with that dreadful Vanguard. Maybe the gaming world might have been different.

“Full ascended burnzerker, 12K+ AP” says “hello.”

Elitism is elitism, no matter the game.