Least friendly MMO out there?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Is it wrong when “the dye argument” starts in LA, I typically just say where I’m at and model the 8 darkest dyes for them so they can see for themselves?
>.>
<.<
What? Sometimes it’s just easier that way.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Don’t they look different depending what you put them on anyway? Like in some areas, it’s darker naturally, so if you put an absurdly dark red in there it’s pretty much like staring into an event horizon. But in lighter spots, you can see the reddish tint and then a proper black colour works better, even though it’s technically a bit lighter than the red.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Don’t they look different depending what you put them on anyway? Like in some areas, it’s darker naturally, so if you put an absurdly dark red in there it’s pretty much like staring into an event horizon. But in lighter spots, you can see the reddish tint and then a proper black colour works better, even though it’s technically a bit lighter than the red.

Wearing white dye in Divinity’s Reach, between the bank and auction house, should be considered assault on the player’s eyes :-P I felt like it would have been less stress on my retinas staring at the sun :-P

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

It’s really simple.

1. People have little reason to stay in one place for more then the length of an event

• So people have little reason to chat
  • They’re always moving on to another activity that rarely overlaps with what you’re doing

This can’t really be fixed, as ANet wants players to be free to do what they want, and not be attached to any area for grinding.

2. There is no chat channel for your contacts

• Whisper is extremely formal, you need a specific reason to start using it
  • There’s no way to casually share your thoughts to the people you enjoy playing with when you’re not in a guild, party, or in each other’s vicinity.

This can easily be fixed. If a contacts-chat system were implemented, players would be more social, like they are in map chat.
You would find yourself asking if people would like to exchange add-friends, and exchange casual banter over the channel. This fosters friendship more naturally, and all your other contacts will feel you’re more social vicariously, and in turn, also interact with you more.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

did some weird merge happen in this thread?
the title is least friendly mmo- and you guys are talking about dye?

Gunnar’s Hold

Morrigan.2809

It’s really simple.

1. People have little reason to stay in one place for more then the length of an event

• So people have little reason to chat
  • They’re always moving on to another activity that rarely overlaps with what you’re doing

2. There is no chat channel for your contacts

• Whisper is extremely formal, you need a specific reason to start using it
  • There’s no way to casually share your thoughts to the people you enjoy playing with when you’re not in a guild, party, or in each other’s vicinity.

I whisper to my contacts all the time- heck I get complete strangers whispering me often.

I find GW2 a very social game- generally people spend some time on one map and you run into the same players again and again- I’ve seen people do the double jump howdy so many times.

Map chat is also hilarious most of the time- my server seems quite chatty.
most players talk in say too, so I can’t really say that i have ever experienced what OP is talking about.

Gunnar’s Hold

Nike.2631

I’m ussually fast enough on the keyboard to get in a few jokes during a Plinx sequence, and Cursed Shores chat can be worth the occasional pithy remark once I’m sure auto attack will finish off whatever is gnawing on my leg that second.

It’s also not unussual for me to shake my fist at the Mystic Forge in map chat when I walk by even now. Me and Zomorros go way back, and not all of it is pleasant . I’ve got my 77 clovers now, but there was some awful (and public) cussing involved.

Nike.2631

What dyes really look like (not just the names or those lying little squares of color) is a recuring theme for just kibitzing in town . Its one of those light social topics that comes up regularly.

Morrigan.2809

What dyes really look like (not just the names or those lying little squares of color) is a recuring theme for just kibitzing in town . Its one of those light social topics that comes up regularly.

Ahhh ok- never happened to me- but I can see it – it would also have saved me a fortune

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: hildegain.2106

hildegain.2106

I’ve noticed nobody talks, nobody answers questions nobody does anything social. This seems to be the least helpful MMO I’ve played. I’ve asked questions and get nothing. Try to see where people are and be vocal in pvp and show positions and such and nothing.

Nobody says a thing in this game. It’s so odd, and makes me want to play less and less because it feels stale like a single player RPG with a bad story line.

Well I always answer questions, help people with events and help new people to the game. This game plays pretty much identically to every other MMO out there, you meet social people and not-social people. It’s just one of those things.

I have had weird things happen in GW2 just standing in Lion’s Arch. I was on my Asura just standing at the MF when two new people came by and needed help with a vista, so I helped them with that and showed them some jumping puzzles there. Afterwards I went back to the mystic forge and some female human started making emotes at me – eventually we began to dance and had amassed about 30 people all dancing around the mystic forge within 15 minutes.

Sometimes you’re just not that lucky and are talking around people who are trying to solo blast through content without the need to talk back and other times you run into the most friendly and insane people in the game. More or less the same as I experienced in WoW, Warhammer, Tera, Aion etc.

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

From the perspective of comparing it with GW1, there is less social chat in the major hubs. (good or bad). Comparing it to EQ2,Vanguard,or the other major MMOs chat is about the same. There is an isolation factor in larger, more traditional MMOs, and it was only mitigated in games that have RP venues like Inns in AoC, or the cantina socialization in early SWG.

I think overall the population is friendly, just not chatty, more absorbed in whatever activity they are engaged in. Pretty much every MMO tbh.

Gameplay mechanics can lead to unfriendly behavior, unfortunately. I was never called a “moron” or “ kitten #8221; for saving NPCs from wolves until the daily rez req came to be.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

I’ve noticed nobody talks, nobody answers questions nobody does anything social. This seems to be the least helpful MMO I’ve played.

It’s not the game, it’s the general MMO community. The more experience the average player has with MMOs, the less likely they’ll participate in the inane banter that is map chat.

Add to this the fact that developers have been designing down the difficulty curve for years now, and not only is their no interest in interacting with other people, but there’s also no need.

The most sociable in-game experiences I had with this game were when I was running SE explore, during the 15m downtime window created by the Inquest Grenadier packs that patrol just inside the entrance of path 1. Then Anet went ahead and removed that downtime, and ravaged that path (and introduced a huge bug in path 2).

Why did they do this? Who knows. They could have been working on Southsun (this was just prior to the Lost Shores event), but instead they felt a need to change a perfectly reasonable dungeon.

LameFox.6349

Wearing white dye in Divinity’s Reach, between the bank and auction house, should be considered assault on the player’s eyes :-P I felt like it would have been less stress on my retinas staring at the sun :-P

I meant places on the armour, but yeah, the environment light can be… interesting.

Posted by: Aldracity.9463

Aldracity.9463

People aren’t chatting, I’ll agree with that much.

However, I just want to ask one question: WHY aren’t people chatting? Is it because there is nothing to talk about? Is it because they’re engaged in doing something? Is the real reason for the popularity of /2 due to raw boredom, or is it the genuine desire for interaction?

LameFox.6349

However, I just want to ask one question: WHY aren’t people chatting? Is it because there is nothing to talk about? Is it because they’re engaged in doing something? Is the real reason for the popularity of /2 due to raw boredom, or is it the genuine desire for interaction?

Well… unless someone wants something, or to know something, what is there to say?

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I’ve noticed nobody talks, nobody answers questions nobody does anything social. This seems to be the least helpful MMO I’ve played. I’ve asked questions and get nothing. Try to see where people are and be vocal in pvp and show positions and such and nothing.

Nobody says a thing in this game. It’s so odd, and makes me want to play less and less because it feels stale like a single player RPG with a bad story line.

It’s because the server will silence people that talk a lot.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

I’ve had the opposite experience, though it may be affected by server choice. I play on Tarnished Coast, which is the unofficial roleplaying server, and there are plenty of people who I see that spend more time hanging out and chatting in the cities than they do out and about.

Failing that, guilds are a fantastic way to inject some socialization into the game.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I just switched to Tarnished Coast. So here is to looking for a guild and some fun with my Norn Mesmer.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Posted by: Zookeeper.2513

Zookeeper.2513

I will agree that GW2 does have some of the friendlier people I’ve seen in MMO’s, but it also has one of the least MMO feels to it as it seems most everything can be done sololy. Outside of some events, dungeons, WvW (to a point), you can do just about everything by yourself. Would be nice to have some more group based content.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

It is very poor socially, and i tried to be social but many replies are just nasty, so i gave up, i mostly talk in guild and if someone wants to reply at some point they will..

Posted by: Sargonnas.4168

Sargonnas.4168

I am having the exact opposite….. Everyone is fun and friendly and all play together well. You eliminate the jerk mentality a little bit because everyone gets their own items and don’t have to roll for anything. You actually benefit greatly from helping each other. THAT right there creates a much more friendly atmosphere. When I played WoW all people did was spam chat nonstop and cuss each other out like it was highschool. Maybe you need to come to a busier server? Come to Gate of Madness, we are friendly there.

“Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night
because rough men stand ready
to do violence on their behalf.” – George Orwell

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I didn’t find WoW to be any friendlier. At least question wise. Whenever someone asked something there, the first few answers were almost always… well less than helpful.
There certainly was more activity in the chats in WoW, that’s for sure. But I’ve always gotten an answer in GW2 chats if I had something to ask. And whenever some group event starts, it’s very often informed in the map chat, even without having to ask if there was any events going on in that particular map.
The only other MMO I have experience in, besides this and WoW, is Star Wars: Old Republic. Now that was a quiet game. The chats in GW2 are much livelier than I ever saw in SW:TOR.

My short time in SW, chat was anything but quiet. This was right after it went F2P, and chat was non-stop sub players going on about free players as if they were serial killers of kittens. At least we don’t have that divide in GW2.

On the subject as a whole, it very much depends on where I am, and when, and chat can range from non-existent to constant.

Posted by: Revolution.6301

Revolution.6301

Good point, but thats because there is little reason to talk. I mean in LA there is but elsewhere since you don’t ‘have to’ party suddently the game sorta becomes quiet :p

Posted by: Kilmeran.1203

Kilmeran.1203

In traditional mmo people would at least notice you (it would probably lead to them being kitten off) and here they don’t pay attention to you since there are no such problems as resource or mob stealing.

The forum base uses the word Kitten on here quite a bit. Color me old, but what the heck slang does that word mean now?

Posted by: Jikap.6547

Jikap.6547

The forum use a filter that automagically change any swear words into ‘kitten’.
… If they added this in-game as well, I might even put the word filter on, lol.

Jikap
Elementalist
Ring of Fire

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

I generally don’t need to talk with you to help you, but I always respond to (polite) whispers or questions in /m or /s I can answer, as do others I’ve seen.

So it’s at least partially a matter of perception.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have to say I have always found the opposite of this to be true. Sure in a lot of maps there are not a lot of people and help can be hard to find sometimes. However when you are in a map with a lot of people there is always chat ongoing and if you ask a question you will usually always get a helpful answer. There may be the odd bad egg or 2 out there but most of the community outshines them by far.

If you want chat anytime and to see how many people can still be seen on at a time in 1 map I suggest you go back to Queensdale once in a while. That map is ALWAYS bustling with people all asking “any events up?” and “Trolls up, Boars up, Wasp’s up”. It’s a very helpful fun community and one of the best maps thus why everyone goes back there for fun and a community feeling.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

It seems to depend on the server. Where I play people are not unfriendly but they are not very talkative either. Sometimes you don’t even get a “thx” when you revive someone. You might as well revive a bot, even though they aren’t. And even though I play alot in lower lvl areas there are only a few questions in mapchat. Everything is so silent…

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

It must be your server. On Crystal Desert, there is always people talking in zone maps, my guild is always talking. People in LA are always looking for more for groups.

The WvW maps, people are very vocal! Sometimes too much. You have 4 different people telling everyone to do 4 different things. I don’t know about sPvP, never played it and never will.

If you are referring to mindless, stupid banter like goes on in another game, then no, the population here seems to be much more mature and doesn’t find it necessary to talk about stupid stuff in map chat constantly.

Which is quite a relief.

Posted by: X The Manimal.5293

X The Manimal.5293

One of the main reasons I even keep playing this game (aside from how fun it is) is the helpful community. It seems we’re playing very different games.

Posted by: xiv.7136

xiv.7136

Honestly, its the most friendly MMO out there.

People always help each other out in the world because, why not, both get loot. Seeing more people around is always a good thing, they’re never stealing your gathering nodes, they’re never stealing your mobs.

People go out of their way to ress you – even more now with the new daily healer.

Most people are shy about being the first to talk in map chat, but I find if you say something stupid in map chat, a discussion starts soon enough, in any zone while levelling.

Posted by: Oatmeal.1895

Oatmeal.1895

I’ve asked questions in Lion’s Arch, not but yesterday, and was answered by multiple people not only with replies in /shout but people personally replied to me in whispers to explain to me the answers.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I’ve never experienced this problem, but then I start conversations, maybe you should try and be social, and help people. Get into lots of dungeon groups, help people do story modes. My friends list is as populated as my guild xD

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Akiko.2364

Akiko.2364

On my server map chat is always full and often funny to get involved in. If someone asks a question it’s answered 95% of the time. Guild Chat can be very social as well, but of course that cant be seen by everyone, and im sure varies from guild to guild.

I think also part of the “problem” is the combat system here in GW. I think back to Everquest where you just hit Auto attack or a marco button to cast a string of spells and you could keep on with your conversations while your avatar killed the Mobs….

Here in GW with it’s much more active combat style its hard to fight in a dynamic event and carry on with a conversation.

Though I think most would agree the combat here in GW is much more fun than the old “auto attack” system it kills most social interactions while it’s going on.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

I’ve been running into friendly people on Sanctum of Rall. Just last weekend I was sitting on the LA statue and started talking to someone trying to jump on one of the fish and ended up adding them to my Friends list.

Now that I think about it I haven’t encountered any real jerks yet which is amazing considering the game has been out for almost half a year. My Ignore list is shockingly void for an MMO (knock on wood, just watch the next time I log in now I’m certain to run into an idiot)

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Mystogan.4157

Mystogan.4157

Lol that sucks. Idk what server your on but im sorry. On my server, the chat is always filled with event timings and whenever i go to la, there is always players helping players also theres always a fun box up too i have no trouble finding groups for dungeon storirees. The age of your server and rep could have alot to do with it. Higher tier servers are better and more knowledgeable and expect players to know how to play. Maybe guest till u find a good server?

Thy Shall Fear The Reaper (FxRe)

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

Lack of RP. Not bored. Thousands of guides on fansites. That’s it.

Posted by: Bob.8456

Bob.8456

I’ve played several MMOs from UO right up through GW2 (I skipped WoW aside from trials, etc…I was kitten at the time that Blizzard, a pioneer of online free-to-play went sub…and really high for the time as well).

GW has the best community by far (of the major releases…the smaller communities of other games was often a plus in this department), although GW1 wasn’t an MMO, the player base was very helpful and kind and that has continued into GW2 for the most part, especially now that a lot of the crowds have died down. I do sometimes miss the RPing that used to be a lot more common in MMOs of the 90s, and you did see a lot more of it in GW1 than here, but I expect you will see more of it as time goes on. Perhaps it would be cool if ANet set up a RP server, people could guest on it when they feel like really immersing for a bit.

For the record, my favorite MMO of all time was a little game called ‘The Fourth Coming’ or T4C for short. It has actually undergone something of a revival lately with a new dev updating(destroying? lol) the game. Over a decade ago me and some friends ran a thief guild on our server and had a blast as REAL thieves (anyone else remember when thieves in MMOs were actually thieves?), terrorizing the population by stealing all their loot. They also ran hardcore servers where you would drop all your equipment on death (like Diablo 1)…oh man how I miss the old days. And people now complain about not being able to res-rush dungeons, lol.

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

OP has a point though. You play with others to do events but nobody talks to anyone ever. Its because you just don’t have to in this game. It takes getting used to for many people.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

@OP

I honestly think this is one of the friendliest MMOs I’ve ever played…

First, make sure you’re typing in /map and not /say. /say has a very limited range, so it’s possible that the people you’re typing to can’t even see the messages. In anything other than PvE, make sure you know the proper chat channels.

Second, join a guild. From your post, it really doesn’t seem like you have a community to belong to, and that makes a huge difference in social aspects of the game.

Honestly, if you still find that your general experience is that bad, I would switch servers, because the game community is going to vary depending on the server you’re on.

Hope you can resolve this, because it sounds like you’re missing out on a great aspect of the game.

Posted by: JeebusCan.4205

JeebusCan.4205

It’s because GW2 plays like a single player game. You can go though level 1 to 80 with having to communicate with anyone. The gameplay enforces the everyone for themselves with there being no dedicated healers and everyone is in charge with keeping themselves alive.

One reason I quit, i wanted to play an mmo yet it feels like an single player game.

This, is pretty much the reason quite a few of my friends quit. And why I only do my daily achievement now. Kinda sad, cause I really do like the game, but, without the people, it’s just not as fun.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

Must be your server. I am on the server Ring Of Fire and i find it extremly helpful! If i want to do a dungeon i havent done before, people are always helpful, friendy and will help me through it.

And everytime i ress someone, they all say thank you. Sometimes, a guy even mailed me 50 silver, because he asked in chat for someone to ress him, and i did it..

Its a very friendly server, and im glad i joined it

Posted by: Aldracity.9463

Aldracity.9463

Well… unless someone wants something, or to know something, what is there to say?

/2 and Barrens Chat from WoW. What were these primarily composed of?

From the time I played WoW, I remember a billion Chuck Norris jokes, a few arguments about 0.999… = 1, and the odd WHERE IS MANKIRKS WIFE. Very, very, VERY little of the public chat was actually spent conversing about ingame information, be they dungeon groups, guild recruitment, or even Trades (…which was what /2 was supposed to be). Even in the guilds I joined over the years, much of it was spent talking about random, inane stuff, regardless as to whether the guild was a zerg or just a couple of friends I had IRL.

If you ask me, the isolation issue is likely created because the average player can get a cost-effective experience without ever speaking to anybody. Emphasis on speaking. You certainly co-operate with your fellow players during a DE or WvW zerg, but even if the game had a different combat system I doubt people would bother striking up conversations while doing these activities. Indeed, you’d probably get kitten if /map or /team in WvW was cluttered with random chat, causing you to miss out on important information like event spawns and gather points.

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

Seriously. Sometimes I would like to respond to things, but if I’m in the middle of or ten minutes into soloing a champion, I would very much like to not have my last words being “wwwwwwadwdw1211111112223sssssssssssssasdssss”

I LOLed. (Well, chuckled anyway.) This. So much this. It happens to me all the time.

That’s the fundamental problem with an Action MMORPG: no time for pleasantries during gameplay. Now I know Anet doesn’t want to add in-game voice but perhaps what we need is in-game speech-to-/say?

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Just find a decent guild. Problem solved.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

Try a different server – HoD is friendly and active.

Posted by: Gavorn.9647

Gavorn.9647

seeing how its not a Server wide chat it all depends on the map you are loaded in on. So if your on a dead map then dead chat you will get.