Leave living world out of WVW

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

No one likes doing kitten in obsidian sanctum, especially when it is filled with kittens just killing everyone instead of actually doing achievements.

Why do you punish PVE players with this bullkitten? If someone wants to play wvw and fight in god kitten jumping puzzle, let them, but don’t shove it down everyones throat.

I’m pretty sure most of people would never ever enter wvw if it wasn’t for that little basket. Dragging people to wvw just for that is just kittening wrong. If you want people play wvw make it more interesting and rewarding, not by this little annoying bullkitten of achievement.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I agree. Less angrily, lol.

I realise that none of the achievements I WANT to get are remotely necessary, or even going to ruin my enjoyment of any aspect of the game if I don’t want them, but I feel that PvE achievements should REMAIN PvE achievements.

I know the way I play the game isn’t the way the next person wants to play the game, and ANet need wiggle room in the “play how you want to play” statement. However, I do feel that PvE and PvP is a large enough difference that it seems odd they force you to go into one in order for achievements in the other.

My specific issues are with the JP achievements for PvE, and also world completion. Nowhere does the PvE world touch on the PvP world, even WvW, so I see no reason why I am made to go there for a PvE only achievement.

Like I said, it’s not game breaking for me. But I’d love to get 100% world achievement one day, and I am not looking forward to dashing round WvW in order to do so.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Why do they punish WvW players by “forcing” us to do PvE?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

You think PvE players got it bad? You should see the sPvP players that have got barely 2500 AP.

Why is it always the PvE players complaining?

Posted by: Mada.5319

Mada.5319

Why? Obsidian Sanctum is in its own map so it won’t keep people from coming into EB.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

You think PvE players got it bad? You should see the sPvP players that have got barely 2500 AP.

because they are the 90% and get their game heavily impacted fromthings a minority likes i suppose.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

But the JP achievement is PvE, in PvP environment.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

No, that JP achievement is PvP, in a PvP environment.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

CrossedHorse.4261

Lol, nice.

Is the JP actually part of a WvW achievement too? In which case I can see why it’s there.

I assume though, your remark is to do with the fact that the achievements system for WvWers is completely out of balance. Which I agree with and I support all calls for attention from the devs to address this.

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

No, that JP achievement is PvP, in a PvP environment.

Well then, it is fair, I guess…

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

It’s really quite simple.

Guild Wars 2 has a PvP/PvE split. You can play GW2 just fine without ever having to PvE or PvP if you don’t want. The vast majority of GW2’s player base does little to no PvP simply because they don’t like it.

By placing PvE achievements in PvP zones you’re forcing PvP upon those players, which seems like another big violation of the manifesto promise that forced PvP wouldn’t be a thing. (sPvP’rs pointing out the game has forced PvE; I’d like to point out PvE rewards are as much use in sPvP, as sPvP rewards are in PvE. As for WvW – I still stand by the statement that WvW should not be treated as an essential part of PvE)

Before you say “carebear”, I have my gifts of battle, and I personally kicked the kitten of 3 dragonbrand who tried stop me from getting the JP achievement last week. However, I also respect and sympathise with the players who do not enjoy or have experience in PVP

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

(edited by Ryuujin.8236)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

If you aren’t willing to work for it, you are not worthy of the achievement.

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

“work for it”? – you’re kidding right. That achievement is 90% luck that there isn’t a guild of enemy players camping it when you step into the portal

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

“work for it”? – you’re kidding right. That achievement is 90% luck that there isn’t a guild of enemy players camping it when you step into the portal

No pain, no gain.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Separate PvP, PvE and WvW achievements and rewards.
Make PvP and WvW rewards on par with PvE rewards.
Everyone gets to play how they like, no one gets the short stick and everyone is happy.
WinWin

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sepreh.5924

Sepreh.5924

The reason that the op is even posting this is that people are kittening kitten holes. It takes a long time to learn to play other humans as opposed to enemy AI. Not that one is better or worse, it’s a different skillset. It also takes a while to learn the OS map and JP. Some people probably have limited time in their day to log in and get the PvE achievement. The last thing they need is some piece of kitten kid who has the summer off and unlimited time specifically sitting in OS and trolling near the end.

This kitten come up all the time. The kittening trolls justify this kitten by saying “I am helping my server by preventing people from getting seige and BoH”. For starters, this is the weakest justification I have ever heard. People camp jps to be kittens and to farm unsuspecting players. If they actually did want to prevent people from getting seige and BoH, they would wait until the final chest and let people going for the achievement complete until that point. The problem with that idea is that JP campers are cowardly trolls and waiting until the end makes the fight too fair.

Legendary Sepreh, Necromancer
[SYN] Synyster Legion | Dragonbrand Server
Youtube Necromancer

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Lol, nice.

Is the JP actually part of a WvW achievement too? In which case I can see why it’s there.

No, it’s not, as far as i know.

I agree, that jp that WvW players have to do before getting their badges is a bad design, and should be removed to PvE so that WvW players are not forced to do it.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

No pain, no gain.

With all the players upset about it and writing about, could start figuring out whose on the same server, teaming up and going in there and “ganking” the gankers.

If it were me who wanted to get it. I would be asking guild mates, asking in LA, and my home WvW to say “Hey guys, I would like to do the OS JP, but there are enemy invaders camping it. I would like to form a group to take them out and do it.” There are people who want to do it.

Trying to solo that JP is not the way to go.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not in love with the new achievement either. I just did the Obsidian Sanctum last month to get a cache. After an aborted try (because there were too many of the enemy camping the puzzle), me and a few guildies made a concerted effort and got through.

But it took a long time and I didn’t particularly find it fun. Why? Because the guys who KNEW the puzzle, knew just where to stealth, just where to knock us back. We did it because we wanted the achievement, and I’m guessing we’ll do this one too.

I think there should be some harder achievements and some easier achievements, but something like this is unfair to servers that don’t have strong WvW presences. I mean I’m on Tarnished Coast. We’re a tier 2 WvW side. Some servers are going to have trouble, even if they can get themselves a group.

It’s just not that simple. Success or failure for an achievement should depend on your abilities, not the strength of your server.

CrossedHorse.4261

People are willing to work for it. But the achievement is a JP achievement … so the work is the JP itself. Even if people had to go and open up an entirely new area of the PvE world just to do the JP, I’m sure they would. It’s not about the work, it’s about the fact that PvE and PvP should be separate. They were advertised as being totally separate, and we find they’re not. That’s the issue being discussed.

I don’t mind working for a JP or for anything else for that matter. But I don’t want to have to play WvW for something I should be able to get in PvE.

Posted by: Eddie G.8731

Eddie G.8731

I love it when people playing a video game talk about “being forced” to do anything.

“If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be invincible.”

-Romulan proverb

CrossedHorse.4261

I love it when people playing a video game talk about “being forced” to do anything.

Lol.

Ah, yes, it’s the scale of cause and event though, isn’t it?

I mean, am I forced to play any of GW2? no. But I am, so what then? Am I forced to get the world completion achievement? No. But I decide I’d like to, so what then? Ah, in order to complete this achievement, yes, I AM forced to go into WvW.

Depends which step of the ladder you are on.

But no, strictly speaking, no one is forced to do anything they don’t want to when it comes to playing a game. But for the sake of getting any achievement at all, then there are certain goals you are required (yes, forced) to reach.

This is not a bad thing necessarily. I’ve made a thread on the basis that if you don’t like something in this game there isn’t someone holding a sword over you telling you you must do it anyway.

However, within the parameters of this sort of thing, like the JP in WvW or the world completion achievement, I see no reason why the PvP and the PvE modes of gameplay are somehow overlapping. And that is what I, personally, am questioning here.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Kudos to anet for obviously developing a twisted sense of humor. After all the complaints during Sky Pirates putting yet another achievement into OS. Just hilarious. Part of me thinks “oh man, it is called an achievement for a reason”, another part “get that jp out of there to stop the incessant whining every second day”. But I have to admit, anets pigheadedness in this case really makes you laugh.

Posted by: Eddie G.8731

Eddie G.8731

Lol.

I mean, am I forced to play any of GW2? no. But I am, so what then? Am I forced to get the world completion achievement? No. But I decide I’d like to, so what then? Ah, in order to complete this achievement, yes, I AM forced to go into WvW.

But no, strictly speaking, no one is forced to do anything they don’t want to when it comes to playing a game. But for the sake of getting any achievement at all, then there are certain goals you are required (yes, forced) to reach.

This is not a bad thing necessarily. I’ve made a thread on the basis that if you don’t like something in this game there isn’t someone holding a sword over you telling you you must do it anyway.

However, within the parameters of this sort of thing, like the JP in WvW or the world completion achievement, I see no reason why the PvP and the PvE modes of gameplay are somehow overlapping. And that is what I, personally, am questioning here.

I meant no disrespect. I think if one wants to hunt achievements, that’s a perfectly fine objective.

I guess, for me though, I look at it like this: achievements are achievements. When there’s a list of PvE achievements, that means those achievements are found in the PvE portion of the game, not “these are achievements only PvE players should strive for.” Same goes for PvP achievements. It’s not “these are achievements only for PvP players;” it’s “these are achievements that, to get, one must enter a PvP zone.”

Personally, I see no shame in someone saying “I have gotten every achievement in the PvE part of the game.” It’s still impressive as hell to me. And if some special, limited-time whatever achievement is in PvP Land, and one isn’t cool with entering PvP Land, then don’t get it. You’re not a lesser human being. It’s not the game’s fault you don’t want to go there. It’s not yours, either. It’s a decision YOU made. There’s nothing wrong with that.

“If knowledge is power, then to be unknown is to be invincible.”

-Romulan proverb

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

this….

do you people also complain you cannot get the “kill this many invaders” achivements or the “dungon master” achivements?

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Killing PVEers in the jumping puzzle makes the opposite server have a larger queue and percentage wise less actual PVP players. Strategically it makes sense. Also, PVP players could complain that they have to wait more now that PVEers are forced into WvW.

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

Maybe I am very lucky, but when I run obsidian sanctum for the Living Story stuff I don’t run into problems with enemies. Most of them ignore me and I ignore them.

The only time I had have been killed by someone in Obisdian Sanctum was by someone on my own server griefing me and my friends with the fire traps. A kitten move to be sure. Luckily someone kind felt bad for us and gave us a port.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

CrossedHorse.4261

Lol.

I meant no disrespect. I think if one wants to hunt achievements, that’s a perfectly fine objective.

I guess, for me though, I look at it like this: achievements are achievements. When there’s a list of PvE achievements, that means those achievements are found in the PvE portion of the game, not “these are achievements only PvE players should strive for.” Same goes for PvP achievements. It’s not “these are achievements only for PvP players;” it’s “these are achievements that, to get, one must enter a PvP zone.”

Personally, I see no shame in someone saying “I have gotten every achievement in the PvE part of the game.” It’s still impressive as hell to me. And if some special, limited-time whatever achievement is in PvP Land, and one isn’t cool with entering PvP Land, then don’t get it. You’re not a lesser human being. It’s not the game’s fault you don’t want to go there. It’s not yours, either. It’s a decision YOU made. There’s nothing wrong with that.

I didn’t take your comment disrespectfully at all, don’t worry. It takes more than that to offend me. I apologise if my response came across as offended – it was simply intended as clarifying my point.

You know, I totally agree with you. But that’s oddly enough why this particularly annoys me because the world completion and the JP Master achievements ARE listed under PvE achievements. So for me, that should mean that they are PvE only. But we find that they’re not, suddenly you find you are required to jump into PvP.

I decided a while ago now that I wouldn’t be going for those achievements since I didn’t want to go into WvW. If that changes, then sure, I’ll do those achievements while I’m there. So it’s not so much not getting the achievement that irks, it’s the simple logistics of it. (Yes, I’m aware I’m being pedantic).

(edited by CrossedHorse.4261)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

wvw was advertised as being a pve/pvp hybrid. sPvP was advertised as being separate.

Just get your guild/server to help you get it.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

CrossedHorse.4261

wvw was advertised as being a pve/pvp hybrid. sPvP was advertised as being separate.

Just get your guild/server to help you get it.

Oh, ok, maybe I interpreted it incorrectly in that case.

I don’t think it’s as easy as simply saying “find people to help you”. Some people are solo players and don’t know many people and might not feel comfortable asking for help in map chat. Some people don’t belong to guilds. Some don’t have responses to their requests for help etc … so it’s not as easy as just picking up a group of friends.

I can see why it bothers people. Though, as to my own arguments, if I DID misinterpret a piece of information that was very clear to most people about PvE and WvW, I will take back what I said as being based on false premises.

Lol – still not getting those achievements though!

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

That’s a lot of kittens there.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

PvE players have so many Jumping Puzzles in the PvE world.

It’s only fair that PvP players get some Jumping Puzzles of their own.

Posted by: Avatara.1042

There is also a fractals achievement…remove that as well, right?

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Because players that only play pve and refuse to try some wvw or spvp mainly consists of crybabies.

The achievement requires you to finish a jumping puzzle in a warzone.
If you cannot survive it then you need to l2p as everyone i know has been able to do the wvw jp AT SOME POINT.

NOONE NOT EVEN WVW PROS GET TO ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO WVW JP, SOMETIMES THE ENEMY HAS TOO MANY PEOPLE THEIR, SO YOU COME BACK OR GATHER YOUR OWN ARMY.

Us wvw players have to GRIND ENDLESSY IN PVE FOR ASCENDED GEAR yet pve players have to just COME to a wvw area and cry.

I DONT CRY ABOUT ASCENDED because PVE IS PART OF THE GAME JUST LIKE WVW

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Because players that only play pve and refuse to try some wvw or spvp mainly consists of crybabies.

The achievement requires you to finish a jumping puzzle in a warzone.
If you cannot survive it then you need to l2p as everyone i know has been able to do the wvw jp AT SOME POINT.

NOONE NOT EVEN WVW PROS GET TO ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO WVW JP, SOMETIMES THE ENEMY HAS TOO MANY PEOPLE THEIR, SO YOU COME BACK OR GATHER YOUR OWN ARMY.

Us wvw players have to GRIND ENDLESSY IN PVE FOR ASCENDED GEAR yet pve players have to just COME to a wvw area and cry.

I DONT CRY ABOUT ASCENDED because PVE IS PART OF THE GAME JUST LIKE WVW

whoa there!
I wonder why people PvE don’t want to come into WvW?
As I said – separate each mode and give comparable rewards for each mode- end of problem. You never have to PvE and I will leave you to it

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

If you’re an achievement hunter that only likes PvE, then stop attempting the PvP achievements. Yes, an achievement you can only get in PvP is a PvP achievement.

Come on, just yesterday I saw some achievement hunters on LA /map who don’t like Fractals complaining about how they are forced to go into FotM to get a Living World achievement. You whiners are the exact same, you specifically do not like an aspect of the game, but since their is a reward for people who do participate in a certain aspect of the game, you feel the need be incessantly whine about how you are being “forced” to do something you don’t want to do.

If you don’t like WvW but want the WvW related achievements, then either toughen up and just try to achieve your goal, or just write it off and move onto something else.

EDIT:

whoa there!
As I said – separate each mode and give comparable rewards for each mode- end of problem. You never have to PvE and I will leave you to it

Part of the reason for the annoyance from WvW players on this topic is because since release, these WvW hating PvEers have been whining and whining in an effort to take things away from WvW. WvW already gets the short end of the stick when it comes to new content, and participation in new content… but that does not stop the whiners from their dead set sense of entitlement of easy to get “achievements”.

Again, if you want WvW achievements but hate WvW, either just do it without the extreme degree of whining and self entitlement, or just leave it and do something else (something else besides whining on a forum).

(edited by Surbrus.6942)

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

havent been able to get on since the patch yet but… do the borderland jps not count for this achievement? theyre normally abandoned. eb jp is the only one of the 4 that is ever complained about. the others are shorter, have the same chest, and arent as easy or desirable to camp.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

whoa there!

Because most people don’t section themselves off to only one aspect of the game… I hate that MMO’s have become this way over the years. We didn’t used to be PvEers or PvPers… We were all just players. Now GW2 has introduced a new set apparently. the WvWers so we have 3 now? and people are asking to be able to get all their rewards in only their chosen game type? where does this end?

Crafters?
Dungeon runners?
JPers
PvP PlayerKillers?
PvP MobKillers?
What about the explorers?

Do we need to give them all their own equal set of achievements and point values too, so they can play their game their way? Sad part is we are not too far off this already with the “crafters” calling for more and more items and rewards to be obtained fully by crafting.

News flash, if the achievement is in a PvP area it’s a PvP achievement! The jumping puzzle achievement isn’t in the “PvE” section, it’s in the general section as in “These achievements you can get in multiple area’s of the game.” Just like you can get your explorer, slayer, community, and weapon master “General” achievements in WvW as well.

CrossedHorse.4261

I think a total split is exactly what’s needed in that case. That way, nobody need bother anybody else.

WvWers, I recognise and respect your side of the argument too. though I think you fail to see that if this “whining” about easy to get achievements (which I don’t think I’ve been doing) will lead to a split between PvE and WvW, then that’s obviously a GOOD thing for you too – less of those PvEers clogging up your system, no? Let people whine!

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

The reason that the op is even posting this is that people are kittening kitten holes. It takes a long time to learn to play other humans as opposed to enemy AI. Not that one is better or worse, it’s a different skillset. It also takes a while to learn the OS map and JP. Some people probably have limited time in their day to log in and get the PvE achievement. The last thing they need is some piece of kitten kid who has the summer off and unlimited time specifically sitting in OS and trolling near the end.

This kitten come up all the time. The kittening trolls justify this kitten by saying “I am helping my server by preventing people from getting seige and BoH”. For starters, this is the weakest justification I have ever heard. People camp jps to be kittens and to farm unsuspecting players. If they actually did want to prevent people from getting seige and BoH, they would wait until the final chest and let people going for the achievement complete until that point. The problem with that idea is that JP campers are cowardly trolls and waiting until the end makes the fight too fair.

Not everyone is trolling. I ran the puzzle with an invader…from Blackgate. And I’m on Jade Quarry. By the way, mesmers out there! You can portal people and make tip kitten that way…lots of lazy, rich PvE players looking for an easy time!

If it’s really bad tell the commander on map your guild is going for siege to support the war effort. Offer to give them some siege from your run in exchange for an escort squad.

Last resort: /invite the campers and ask them politely, say you’ve had fun, you’re beaten, but you really want to get this achievement before your brother. I don’t know, make something up—be personable, friendly. When you play real people, remember that diplomacy is always a solution.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Taggund.8936

Taggund.8936

This exactly.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

This exactly.

Well…technically, wvw is a subset of PvE. It’s a pseudo PvP firmly planted in pve (all gear comes from pve basically).

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Audiogasm.7643

Audiogasm.7643

I don’t really understand why so much ppl QQ about thakittens only one achievement, PvE players don’t QQ because they will never have the Ransacker title for exemple as they do not PvP.
I think it s a good idea that living story do not have only PvE achievements, as it should concern the whole Game. It would be great that some of the achievement also concern sPvP and the new skyhammer map like for example, kill X ppl with cannon or knock all profession of the edge.
And it seems like all those QQer are forgetting it’s an achievement ! You have to work hard to get it not just go to one place and there is my achievement like it s the case for so many of them.
If you don’t want to put the time and effort to get it get over it and stop whining.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m not thrilled about the JP in WvW. I went to try it for Aetherblade, but couldn’t even access it because my server didn’t hold a keep with a gate. As such, I probably won’t manage it for this event either.

Honestly, I feel PvP and PvE should be completely separate, however with WvW this isn’t completely possible as it is in a sense a bridge between the two.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.