Legal / ethical issues for Swimwear?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Looks like swimwear is coming on the 28th or maybe sometime in June

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1euooo/upcoming_gemstore_items_may_edition/

This was incorrect

I really hope we get some swimwear before the summer is completely gone.

There’s still australian summer..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

they don’t even have blood in this game probably due to the extremely annoying teen rating. i wish companies would grow some balls

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

There’s still australian summer..

Now that’s just evil! lol

This swimsuit with a yellow duck floater on it… i would buy it for my charr! xD

I wanted to add that an old-timey 1870’s striped swimsuit would be AWESOME to see on a charr!

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As soon as I saw the underwear on my female human, and especially my asuran, I just assumed it was intended to double as swim wear. In my mind that was confirmed as soon as I saw that diving goggles strip you down to your underwear, ready to go swimming.

I seriously doubt the lack of any other styles or dyable under/swim wear is a censorship issue. As many people have pointed out if that was the case then we wouldn’t be able to strip to our underwear in the first place.

It’s obviously also not a lack of time/ability/staff to make it because they’ve brought out several other new skins and cosmetic items in the time since people first started asking for swimwear.

The only logical conclusion IMO is that for whatever reason Anet don’t want to make it. Which isn’t to say it will never happen, just that they’ve chosen not to do it for now.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

DoctorOverlord.8620

The only logical conclusion IMO is that for whatever reason Anet don’t want to make it. Which isn’t to say it will never happen, just that they’ve chosen not to do it for now.

Someone claimed they datamined swimwear info along with a bunch of other stuff that has panned out.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/29/guild-wars-2-data-mining-finds-evidence-of-lfg-tool/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1f80pl/lfg_skyhammer_and_more_in_the_updated_gw2dat/

ArenaNet can always pull back their plans but if they do intend to go ahead I can’t think of any good reason why they’re waiting so long.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that the older the style the better. I was saying that the 1920’s style fits much nicer into the game than more modern styles (or the styles that inspired them).

Yes the 1920’s style fits nice with the magical laser cannons as well…

Oh wait…

I’m sorry but the “immersion” argument is lost on me. GW2 is a mix of styles and technologies and that is one of the things that makes the game cool and different. The traditional fantasy or even steampunk tropes are flexed and made new here.

Embrace it.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

And also if we were going to have era-appropriate swim wear it’d be something from medieval times, maybe up to the Renaissance since that seems to be the sort of era GW2 is set in.

Which Wikipedia tells me means swimming naked or….in your underwear.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

To be clear, I wasn’t insinuating that the older the style the better. I was saying that the 1920’s style fits much nicer into the game than more modern styles (or the styles that inspired them).

Yes the 1920’s style fits nice with the magical laser cannons as well…

Oh wait…

I’m sorry but the “immersion” argument is lost on me. GW2 is a mix of styles and technologies and that is one of the things that makes the game cool and different. The traditional fantasy or even steampunk tropes are flexed and made new here.

Embrace it.

^This.

i crack up whenever someone says something about “immersion” or “medieval” in an attempt to validate their tastes over someone else’s in regards to this game. My first day playing and i saw someone with a baseball cap doing the carlton dance in LA. Then a cat-man walked by in a pimp coat with a laser gun. This game is no where near “medieval” or or (lmao) 1920s. XD

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Then a cat-man walked by in a pimp coat with a laser gun. This game is no where near “medieval” or or (lmao) 1920s. XD

Medieval Pimp, time to roll a Charr. Ty for the name.

Posted by: panzer.6034

panzer.6034

Then a cat-man walked by in a pimp coat with a laser gun. This game is no where near “medieval” or or (lmao) 1920s. XD

Medieval Pimp, time to roll a Charr. Ty for the name.

Or there’s always Catman Slapaho

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Fuzzyface Wheresmymoney

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

And also if we were going to have era-appropriate swim wear it’d be something from medieval times, maybe up to the Renaissance since that seems to be the sort of era GW2 is set in.

Was going to say this is incorrect but then i remembered all the Industrialization through steam power, airships, holographic strippers, motorcycles, battle robots, and nuclear reactors that had common use throughout the medieval Renaissance and Dark Ages.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

(edited by Stego.3148)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

imo Anet shoulda released swimsuits weeks ago to celebrate the release of the anime; “Free!”

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

DoctorOverlord.8620

imo Anet shoulda released swimsuits weeks ago to celebrate the release of the anime; “Free!”

I have not heard of “Free!” but I will agree to any excuse that would result in swimwear being made available.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Someone claimed they datamined swimwear info along with a bunch of other stuff that has panned out.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/05/29/guild-wars-2-data-mining-finds-evidence-of-lfg-tool/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1f80pl/lfg_skyhammer_and_more_in_the_updated_gw2dat/

ArenaNet can always pull back their plans but if they do intend to go ahead I can’t think of any good reason why they’re waiting so long.

I can!
Implementing this would be competing for the same dev time as some of the stuff mentioned in Colin’s recent blog post. Those things are more important than swimwear. Also keep in mind that those are already being worked on, possible starting multiple months ago.

Implementing these can also be much more complicated/difficult if they never planned for it. Currently if you take off your armor you end up in your underwear. If you take off the swimwear the logical thing would be you end up nude but that is not an option here. Nudity would most likely get an Adult Only rating slapped on it plus some unwanted publicity. AO would also kill boxed sales.

Doggie.3184

I have not heard of “Free!” but I will agree to any excuse that would result in swimwear being made available.

Let’z go swimmin’

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

Perhaps a great many people would run around everywhere in swimwear, were it added.
Perhaps it would be too much trouble to implement an opposite version of that “Southsun Cove” forced swimwear location—in that, unless you were in close proximity to a shoreline or body of water, you would not be allowed to equip the swimwear (outfit)…

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

You do realise this thread has been dead for two years, right?

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

They necro’d it I would guess they knew.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Necromancy is strong in these forums.

No wonder so many people are complaining about them in PvP

Attachments:

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Doggie.3184

I still want to go swimming properly.

Posted by: Moderator

We’re going to go ahead and close this thread, as the discussion ran its course long ago.