Legendaries tied to failure and griefing?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Example with HOPE IV. The champion quaggon in Frostgorge sound needs the rescue event to fail for the champion to spawn. People keep killing off the hostile mobs and rescuing the quaggon, so that the champion never spawns.

No matter how one tries to explain the situation and inform them of the better outcome for every one. They go ahead and kill off the event any way. After spending 4 hours of trying to get this champion to spawn. It’s starting to get old when the same thing happens over and over again.

Why is Arena net:
1) Tying fail states of events as requirements for legendary progression?
2) Allowing this type of game play where others can stop your progression from either out of ignorance or spite – yet are totally within their right because they’re “playing the game?”

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Anet already said they will fix this problem. Hopefully with the new legendary’s, wirst case it takes until sab

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

For what it’s worth, they said (on a reddit post) that using events that require a failure wasn’t intentional. They’ve been updating the items and moving them to other events that don’t require a failure.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: ekkue.3754

ekkue.3754

it might be worth looking out for a champ farm map on lfg, (though i was surprised people still do it). if a lot of people are zerging there might be less random people running around doing events.

i did the quaggan for hope 3 days ago and was on the same map as a champ farm by coincedence and the quaggan was already there.

not an excuse for the design, but might give you a better chance.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

it might be worth looking out for a champ farm map on lfg, (though i was surprised people still do it). if a lot of people are zerging there might be less random people running around doing events.

i did the quaggan for hope 3 days ago and was on the same map as a champ farm by coincedence and the quaggan was already there.

not an excuse for the design, but might give you a better chance.

Champ farm goes well with the map bonus system now that they count as events as well. Especially when Frostgorge Sound is giving charged lodestone, powerful blood and giant eye.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

It was an idiotic oversight. Forgive them as you would your other brethren.

Though that makes me wonder if they know how their own game works half the time. Didn’t they desig… Nevermind.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The OP made a thread with the same subject on reddit. He did get a response there (amazingly enough).

Why are Legendary collections still tied to event failure states
ANet mattp
I already forwarded this to QA for further investigation and tracking.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP made a thread with the same subject on reddit. He did get a response there (amazingly enough).

ANet mattp

To be fair, Matt has also posted in the official forums and have asked people to continue posting other events in which there are issues.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Just a flesh wound.3589

ANet mattp

To be fair, Matt has also posted in the official forums and have asked people to continue posting other events in which there are issues.

No doubt.

But it annoyed me some time back when I’d come to this forum and see thread after thread, post after post, begging for answers and help on the issue of failing events and Legendary crafting. And then I found a Dev post from a month before on reddit answering a thread about it over there. Yet did that answer came over to this forum in the month that followed when there were threads repeatedly coming up about the same issue in spite of being assured that the Devs read these forums and like to answer questions here? I don’t believe it did.

Amazingly enough.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

Advancement tied to failed events is a long standing problem in gw2. look at the exotic hunter collection/treasure hunter collection issues….

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Though that makes me wonder if they know how their own game works half the time. Didn’t they desig… Nevermind.

I’m with you on this, minus the forgiving bit. As a great many people remind us, this is a business whose goal is ostensibly to make money, so how can they claim the design is unintentional? Did they just pull champion names from a hat, or something?

Honestly, if anyone but an anet employee had commented that the design was unintentional, I’d question the wisdom of suggesting that level of ineptitude. However, that seems to be the popular answer, these days. They didn’t know how expensive scribing was going to be. They didn’t know that it would cause conflict to create opposing goals for legendary collections. They don’t know how to cope with their physics engine to implement SAB with all the mobility changes. It’s like they’re playing pin the tail on the Charr; stabbing and hoping something sticks.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

I’m with you on this, minus the forgiving bit. As a great many people remind us, this is a business whose goal is ostensibly to make money, so how can they claim the design is unintentional? Did they just pull champion names from a hat, or something?

Honestly, if anyone but an anet employee had commented that the design was unintentional, I’d question the wisdom of suggesting that level of ineptitude. However, that seems to be the popular answer, these days. They didn’t know how expensive scribing was going to be. They didn’t know that it would cause conflict to create opposing goals for legendary collections. They don’t know how to cope with their physics engine to implement SAB with all the mobility changes. It’s like they’re playing pin the tail on the Charr; stabbing and hoping something sticks.

As a programmer and amateur game designer, I have first hand experience to realize that these things are hard.

• They didn’t know how expensive scribing would be since the players determine the value of things. Anet does put in formula that puts limits on things, but there’s still a lot of swing allowed in a stock market style economy. They genuinely don’t know and inherently can’t know the eventual prices of things.
  • Creating opposing goals for precursors is a genuine mistake on their part — one they’ve admitted to. It feels like they did just look at a list of events without consideration of how those events were triggered, and that’s on them. I can see this might have happened in the rush to push things to release, but it’s still on them.
  • The physics issues for SAB are real issues. They could probably be solved, but it would take a lot more effort than just “bring SAB back” indicates. It may not be worth the effort in terms of how much manpower it will take to do versus how much it gets appreciated. This is possibly a casualty of the expansion focus — they might not have the resources to do both, and the money’s in the expansion, not SAB. (But maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised and see SAB return. Who knows?)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

As a programmer and amateur game designer, I have first hand experience to realize that these things are hard.

• They didn’t know how expensive scribing would be since the players determine the value of things. Anet does put in formula that puts limits on things, but there’s still a lot of swing allowed in a stock market style economy. They genuinely don’t know and inherently can’t know the eventual prices of things.
  • Creating opposing goals for precursors is a genuine mistake on their part — one they’ve admitted to. It feels like they did just look at a list of events without consideration of how those events were triggered, and that’s on them. I can see this might have happened in the rush to push things to release, but it’s still on them.
  • The physics issues for SAB are real issues. They could probably be solved, but it would take a lot more effort than just “bring SAB back” indicates. It may not be worth the effort in terms of how much manpower it will take to do versus how much it gets appreciated. This is possibly a casualty of the expansion focus — they might not have the resources to do both, and the money’s in the expansion, not SAB. (But maybe we’ll be pleasantly surprised and see SAB return. Who knows?)

Scribing: I understand that they couldn’t have known precise values for the cost of scribing, and yet there’s a great deal that could’ve been intuited from market behavior as well as drop rates of the various components. As an amateur game designer/programmer, you probably don’t employ at least one economist. However, I will concede that this was likely to have growing pains.

Event conflicts: This is not the first nor the tenth time this sort of thing has happened. This is a recurring problem in their design choices. It’s understandable when it happens rarely, but not when it happens all the time. They’ve also, in the past, made event failure more profitable than event success.

Super Adventure Box: I never said the issue wasn’t real. I said it’s part of a pattern of responding as if they’re unaware of how their game functions. If they’re not invested in working on the content, there’s absolutely no reason to deny refunds for the infinite continue coin, which was sold with the understanding that the content would return. If a small team created it in their spare time, what is so hard about allocating a bit of time to update the physics engine and bring it back? It’s been two and a half years since they sold the coin. Kitten, or get off the pot. “Pleasantly surprised” to see it come back? That’s nonsense.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Why is Arena net:
1) Tying fail states of events as requirements for legendary progression?

They aren’t. They’re tying legendaries to events and items with particular themes. Some of them are rare. Many of them are in event chains, whose execution tend to be more erratic in real action compared to in testing. This was probably not considered at creation time.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I did this one for 2-3 hours, on a day where FGS events were a daily. Had it fail twice, once with a whole lot of other HOPEfuls looking on. The Claw eventually came along and distracted the player-base, and the quaggan was finally turned into a popsicle.