Legendaries: worth getting?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The legendaries are very tough to get. Between the high TP prices, the insane random droprates for the precursors and the fact that the Temple of Balthazar event chain is often bugged (on the rare occasion my server actually manages to gather enough people for it).

My question to you guys is: do you feel the legendaries are worth it trying to get them? A lot of things are seemingly out of the player’s control, making a time-consuming part of the game even more frustrating. At this point, I’m not sure I’ll ever get it even if I dedicate myself to it.

How did you guys manage to get you parts for the legendary?

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

Some people are willing to do anything to acquire pixels that other players don’t have.

You are the only one that can say whether it’s worth it to you.

Me? Nope, don’t care about pixels. Fun and relaxation are my only concern.

Posted by: insaneshadow.1654

insaneshadow.1654

I really want to get The Incinerator. That’s the name of the legendary dagger, right? I think the main thing stopping me is not the gold (I can get that in time), it’s the lodestones. I don’t have the patience to gather 100 of 2 different lodestones so I just won’t get one.

Though, I’ll more than likely gather some of the materials at random times and see how far I get for funsies.

Gust Root | Letum Folium | Lo Bridge | Snow Spot | Roland East | Nascharr | Bjorn Microbrew
Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

I need 80 Charged Lodestones and the precursor to get Bolt. That’s all I have left, and every second I’ve spent getting it will be worth it. I’m just like that.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

If you want to sink 200 plus grind hours of your life into the game for a red titled/ cool looking item sure. To me it is a huge joke if it were fun like random rare drops from beating really hard bosses or something fun and legendary i would try but the non-epic grindfest that currently is legendaries….no thanks

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

If you really just want the weapon, I can point you to a site where you can buy them with Paypal. They’re tradable for a reason, yeah.

I think they’re worth getting. I say this because I did 3 epic weapon quests in EQ1, and the feeling of accomplishment was great.

I’ll confess also that one of my epics in EQ1, I was basically power-leveled for. I felt more accomplishment in the item I sold (Cloak of Flames from my very first Nag kill) to pay “admission” to finish my quest than I did in the weapon.

The legendary part isn’t the weapon, but rather the work you put into it to get there. Do that many dungeon runs, you’ll have some good friends by the end of it. 500 badges isn’t too much, but still, you were there representing your world.

If you paypal it, yes, it is just pixels and prob’ly not worth it. If you do the legwork yourself, it’s worth considerably more.

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Worth it to me, I want the dagger. But it’s a Long Term Goal for me. As in: probably not within a year. And that’s fine for me. I’ll just keep playing the way I want to and eventually I will have the gold and items (in between collecting dyes and minipets of course).

The only people who are bitter about the cost are the people who want it NAO, and go into a huge tantrum if they can’t get it yesterday with minimum effort.

insaneshadow.1654

I want the dagger too! =D

And yep, long term goal. Once I start running dungeons with my guildmates I can start raking in more money. I just need those pesky lodestones.

Shakes fist
Darn you lodestones!

Gust Root | Letum Folium | Lo Bridge | Snow Spot | Roland East | Nascharr | Bjorn Microbrew
Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

Posted by: CC Meinke.2749

CC Meinke.2749

Community Coordinator

Hello everyone,

we deleted posts from two users arguing. Please help keep these forums a productive and friendly place by posting in a respectful tone.

Greetings

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

If you’re not having fun then no achievement is “worth it”, that said I totally would like to get one but I’m just playing the game in the way that I find the most enjoyable without setting a “MUST GET LEGENDARY ” path for myself.

I think that’s how many people kill the game for themselves. Players get on this achievement kick and start following a repeatable laundry list to whatever they see as the victory condition. Then they come here to complain when the game becomes repetitive and boring but there’s really no reason to play the game like that.

So for a long term goal “Why Not” totally worth it providing you take a fun path to the achievement and don’t make it a job.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

I don’t think they’re worth grinding for, but if I had the money I would get the staff.
I’m going to play the game normally until most of the required wealth and materials find their way into my bank. Once I’m closer I might grind out the rest though or just keep playing normally. Of course that will take a long time, but it’ll work out eventually if I don’t spend money on other nonessentials. Good thing the 42k karma robes are my favorite

(edited by Navzar.2938)

Posted by: Qelris.6901

Qelris.6901

As much as I want shinies, I’m not planning to get a legendary for a few months. The fact that these weapons are insane to make and that they are soulbound to a single character is a huge let down for me. So yeah, a few months to make sure I want to use X build with Y weapons.

I’m only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

i just wish they were Account Bound when used (Currently they are Soulbound on Use, so you could even trade it) so i can could use it and then swap it between my characters.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

I think legendaries are totally worth going for.

They actually don’t take all that long if you aren’t aiming for the super common expensive ones.

Even if you only do a little bit of Cursed Shore and/or a dungeon run a day.

And it’s not just about vanity, it’s about having something to work toward. They have a cool variety of tasks that you need to complete that would be pretty doable by all players if it weren’t for WvW.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: atarigenocide.4987

atarigenocide.4987

Can’t you just buy the lodestones?

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

For me: Nope, not worth it. Not interested. The skins aren’t that cool (in my opinion), and it’s too much grind for something purely cosmetic (again, IMO).

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Legendaries? What an Weapon Skin that will cost me my eyes? Right…

It wont worth it and I wont do it, I have an exotic with all same stats and an halloween skin i’m happy with. Also Soulbound? Right… (again)

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: atarigenocide.4987

atarigenocide.4987

How is WvW not doable by all players?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

imo, no, they’re not worth it. Legendaries should be obtained by feats that actually require skill and effort throughout multiple aspects of the game (like having to complete some hard jumping puzzle then soloing a profession specific encounter just to complete 1 step). In their current state a legendary only shows how much gold you have.

Posted by: bluejay.6739

bluejay.6739

Since ANYTHING is this game is only worth the personal amount of fun you derive from it, you just have to judge if it will be fun for you to go for it or if it will just be irritating.

They are a massive, massive undertaking. Does that sound like a challenge or a chore to you?

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

If a server consistently gets dominated by the other 2 servers in its matchup, 100% world completion is not possible and badges can come in at a rate of 1-5 per day if you’re lucky.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: exum.3746

exum.3746

its for those willing to put in effort to obtain it.

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

Can’t you just buy the lodestones?

Depends on the Legendary

for example any Legendary that requires Charged Lodestones prepare to empty your wallet as they are 3G each, and you need 100 of them.

that’s 300g from the Lodestones alone.
add in 100g for the Icy Runestones, 20g for the Gift Recipes, the cost of your precursor ~300g.

Posted by: Lily Miranda.5407

Lily Miranda.5407

I was considering going for the legendary staff, but my halloween scythe fits me so perfectly…

Am I crazy for wanting to get a legendary so I can transmute it and get a red named scythe?

Posted by: Karadoth.8370

Karadoth.8370

IMO they mostly so ugly as to not be worth the incredibly dull timesinks required.

Rather get me a whisperblade.

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

You could make some of the mats for legendary items easier to acquire and it would still take a long time to acquire everything.

Low drop rates for items (cloves, lodestones, precursors) + large material requirements is just a lazy substitute for legitimate challenge to achieve the same ends.

Karadoth.8370

I agree with that, its not really a challenge or a legendary epic accomplishment when its almost entirely just gather/buy stupidly rare drops.

Posted by: Necrochild.1497

Necrochild.1497

Why not, what else are you going to do with your gold once you gear up with full exotics?

I think most MMOs have high value aesthetic items. Whether or not it’s “worth it” depends on the player. You won’t be any more efficient, you’ll just be more flashy.

Sometimes flashy isn’t without merit, however, considering the entire time you play the game you will be staring at the hindquarters of your flashy or not-so-flashy character, it’s worth is entirely up to you.

Karadoth.8370

Yeah, but most MMOs high value aesthetic items are usually an accomplishment rather than luck based.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

If a server consistently gets dominated by the other 2 servers in its matchup, 100% world completion is not possible and badges can come in at a rate of 1-5 per day if you’re lucky.

If a server consistently gets dominated by the other 2 servers in its matchup, it will surely drop down a tier next week. Maybe you’ll have more success against weaker opposition in the next tier down.

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

I suppose it depends on your definition of fun, as well your real life priorities and schedule.
Personally, I have no intention of grinding for items that have the same precisely stats as crafted exotics. I mean..really… all that time and gold… just for some shiny pixels?!? No thank you; I’d rather embark on a productive project in Real Life.
Not to mention, I don’t even like glowing gear.

I feel the same way about cultural armour. I can craft exotic armour for a fraction of the price, and I can actually select stats that enhance my build. In terms of appearance, I can craft sets I like the look of (or mix and match, even) and apply them to the exotic stuff.

But, that’s me. I typically prefer story-driven single player RPGs (such as the Witcher series); Guild Wars Two is probably the first MMO I genuinely enjoy because it alleviates much of the grind. One person’s idea of fun, can be the next person’s definition of Hell; these things will always be extremely subjective.

(edited by Artemis Noir.3804)

Posted by: Kodama.9417

Kodama.9417

It is hard to decide which bow to work towards. Anyone have any thoughts on which would be better?

Posted by: Victory For Kittens.7806

Victory For Kittens.7806

I’m playing a Ranger and i really dont like legendary skin from short or longbow. I really like the GS one but they’re really expensive indeed and you need to farm a lot. I enjoy playing 1h maybe 2 per day but i can’t play whole day like GW1 since i hate all these zombies on last zone and i really don’t like the fact i just got 5 kills on each weapon, it makes it borring (to me).
So imo:
- there will be new skins soon (with events that came/ are coming/ will come) so i might finally enjoy a bow skin more than my actual arah skin
- they’ll make something to stop these insane prices because it’s really time to, prices are really ridicolous to me and i’m almost sure they’ll do something soon to fix this (i really like how dusk/dawn prices are doing yoyo, like if someone could buy all dawn with less than 330g value to put them back on 350g + value and we all know there is some people with more than 2k gold than can do it easily (there is a lot of screens on net with karma bug & mystic forge bug (that just went fixed, nobody went banned))).

Still i’m looking for something more funny to do than grinding this actual legendary weapon

ThiBash.5634

Hello everyone,

we deleted posts from two users arguing. Please help keep these forums a productive and friendly place by posting in a respectful tone.

Greetings

Euhm…that’s exactly why I’ve rewritten my previous post. Though I disagree with your claim that we were arguing. It was more of a ‘heated debate’.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

ThiBash.5634

If you really just want the weapon, I can point you to a site where you can buy them with Paypal. They’re tradable for a reason, yeah.

If you paypal it, yes, it is just pixels and prob’ly not worth it. If you do the legwork yourself, it’s worth considerably more.

On a side note, is buying items through paypal allowed by the game rules?

insaneshadow.1654

I was going to ask the same thing. That has to be against the rules.

Yak’s Bend
Lincoln Force [BOMB]

Posted by: BLUcorp.6970

BLUcorp.6970

Trading real-world Currency for anything in-game is against the TOS. So yea, this is against the rules.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

i don’t think you should “go” for a legendary, but instead just keep playing, and eventually you’ll meet the requirements for one.

then you make one.

problem is that too few legendaries actually “feel” legendary. some certainly feel unique, but look more like troll weapons than legends (looking at you, disco ball mace and unicorn shortbow)

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

Until I can get one for skill and determination I wont bother. Luck should have nothing to do with it or the fact you bought it or exploited your way to it. They hold no luster for me atm.I see them as a mark of shame right now because of how they were obtained. Who knows I how I will feel when legit ones come around.

Only a handful are really even worth considering the rest are a matter of taste at least for me.
It is up to you – if you dont cheat/buy gold then it is a hell of an accomplishment but is the time worth that picture in the window?

Posted by: ZaiTh.6378

ZaiTh.6378

If Legendaries were rightfully earned via a tough quest line that you had to group up with other people to acquire, I would say yes, they are worth it. If you can buy your Legendary, then that is not very Legendaryish. On top of that, the stats are the same as exotics. Makes zero sense to myself.

In EQ1, I remember the Coldain Prayer Shawl/Coldain Ring Quest Series. A lot of it was soloable and some of it was groupable but the Final Part of it required a Force of Players to fight in a War of Sorts. Ice Giants appeared in the zone and started killing everything. Some of the Ice Gaints were named and had their own loot tables. You the Player and all of your Guild/Friends had to come to the Aid of the Dwarven City that was in the Mountain behind a Big Waterfall (Thurgadin). If you failed their onslaught, the Ice Giants went into Thurgadin and killed all of the Dwarves and camped the City for I think days at a time until everything reset (If I remember correctly). If you defeating the Ice Giants, you were Rewarded with a very very nice Item Coldain Prayer Shawl for Healers and Casters or the Coldain something Ring for Tanks and Scouts.

That is called an accomplishment and something that is Legendary for other players to admire and want to pursue. The current system in GW2 is kind of Fisher Price in comparison.

Tranzik 80 Mesmer (Stormbluff Isle)
400 Tailor/400 Weaponsmith
I beat the Game in less than 2 Months.

Posted by: Jelle.2807

Jelle.2807

Unless a legendary fits a specific character I’m not inclined to get it, and because most of them seem a bit over the top none of them probably fit any of my characters.
I prefer a more modest and subtle look over giant flaming swords and other fancy effects that really have no business being on actual weaponry.

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

Given a dusk can sell for 400 gold, I think I would rather have that and the capacity to buy gems, and all the goodies I can get with gems including my storage space, or a range of other goods on the trading post.

The possibilities are endless! Think of what you may be able to buy in the gem store in the future!

Also, given gems are getting more valuable, you could invest in them and sell when they are high, and buy more when the prices are low. You could make sooo much gold and live off the interest!

This, compared with getting a skin for a weapon, makes it a no-brainer for me!

Posted by: Kraven.4936

Kraven.4936

Legendaries are worth getting because there’s nothing else worth doing.Right now, there is absolutely no gear progression. Exotics and you’re done.

Posted by: dippy.8961

dippy.8961

Not for me. I don’t like PvP, I never have, I’m not inclined to start liking it for a skin. I think it’s short sighted for a game developer to introduce a reward into a game that forces you to participate in PvP (unless of course that game centers around PvP). Since this game was marketed as being designed for everyone in mind, I feel that the PvEers are being punished by not having a way to obtain a legendary.

Unless they separate the rewards for PvP and PvE, give one or the other of them their own legendaries, I’ll never have one. I wouldn’t mind grinding in PvE for whatever it is I need for a kewl looking skin, hell, make it so I have to grind more, I don’t play GW2 for the PvP though. I feel slighted as a paying customer; if I put the same amount of time into the game as a PvPer, I won’t get the same, or at least equal rewards.

Dragonknights of Ascalon [DoA]
Level 80 – Everything
www.yaksbend.com

Posted by: Ashlotte.3719

Ashlotte.3719

Sure! If you use a greatsword…

Posted by: YPC.6349

YPC.6349

Man, those replies in this thread tell you they worth every copper. What else in game would cause so much enviousness?

Posted by: Essarious Quw.8946

Essarious Quw.8946

I am kind of going after the hammer.

I am getting the materials and stuff together but I am not working totally flat out on all night every night trying to do it. I know that I’ll have it before the end of 2013 but I am not going to work myself into the ground doing things that aren’t really fun in order to get it :P

They are worth it in so much as when you spot one you are like “wow that takes a lot of effort, grats” but they don’t really add anything to the gameplay. They’re a social mechanic that lets people know you have a lot of free time and dedication to the cause.

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

They’re not really “worth” anything at all unless you choose to put some value on them – and I have.

I like having the acquisition of a legendary as a way to measure and motivate my progress in both WvW, dungeoneering, and world exploration – integrating every different aspect of the game except structured PvP.

I’m in no way hardcore, and I wouldn’t expect to get my legendary for a year or more. There’s no sense of urgency, but I like having the idea of it as a distant goal.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I think there should be no legendary weapons.

Legendary upgraded components could then be applied to any exotic.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

None of the Legendaries are really appealing to me. They’re either too whimsical (the Dreamer and Quip are great examples) or they just don’t suit my character’s concept (a dark, gothic MM necromancer using Bifrost??). I DO like Bolt, the Incinerator and the Flameseeker Prophecies, but Bolt’s non-stop crackling noise will get on my nerves very quickly, I imagine, the Incinerator gives away your position due to the flaming footsteps so it’s no good on a Thief, and the Flameseeker Prophecies doesn’t really suit my Charr Warrior.

So, I’m just going to save up my money and wait. Perhaps more Legendaries will be released in the future, and I’m in no hurry to get one.