Legendary Armor: Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

There also this.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Envoy_Armor_I:_Experimental_Armor
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Envoy_Armor_II:_Refined_Armor

You need these to get legendary armor it looks like.

This is map completion in wvw for legendary weapons all over but much harder.

These collections and LI are the only thing raid related that you need for Legendary armor, everything else comes from somewhere else in the game, which is quite a lot. There is nothing wrong with this model.

Have you looked at these? This is a lot to do with raids and there more to come from the new LS eps.

Yes, I have done them. They are all that is needed from Raids. Both of those collections to obtain the precursor armor, and the legendary insights.

I even said that those collections and LI are the only thing raid related that you need for Legendary armor. That means that anything that comes from another part of the game, ie LS, is not from raids.

Every one else will just buy them because legendary armor promotes that type of play. Nothing to do with being skilled-full just pay that gold to ppl.

And that is certainly an option for people to partake in, pay for runs. If you don’t want to do it, but want the reward, pay someone to do it for you. Seems perfectly acceptable in a capitalist environment.

1st off the game is very far from a capitalist design.

2nd that is a crappy game design, because the solution is to not play the content, and incentivizes the most explotive farm currently available as the way to advance.

Which is why capitalism is a crappy design for this type of game. Capitalism focuses on the most efficient money making technique, where as adventure games, generally want to focus on adventure.

I’m not saying no one should sell or buy runs, but that is not part of the game design, it isnt a feasible answer for bringing legendaries to the non Raid population. Its a work around that some people are willing to do, not a feature.

Just like coming in to my house through the back window is not a feature of the house’s design, Nor would it be an excuse for poorly designed front door that only 5% of the population wants to go through.

There are some valid argumenets for why maybe having a requirement in raids makes a type of sense, the fact that people buy runs isnt really a strong contender there.

The difference between your back window example and buying runs. One is illegal (trespassing, breaking and entering, etc) the other has been allowed by the developers.

And on the poorly designed front door, if you are trying to keep out all but 5%, then that door achieved it’s goal.

its not illegal to come in through my own back window. And if a dude tries to sell me a house that i specifically cant get into the front door, but i can use the back window, im going to say that is a kittenty design for the house you are trying to sell me.

Point is, selling runs is not a game design choice, its a work around. its not illegal, but its not how developers expected people to access the content. Therefore people arguing that it is poor game design dont have to consider that element, because it is not part of the game design.

If you want to say raids being required for legendary armor is fine, there are some reasons, grey market selling of runs is not really one them.

While true that that may not be how developers intended for the armor to be obtained, it doesn’t nullify it as a valid way to obtain the armor. You may not agree with it, that is fine. The point being, Anet allows it, so it is a valid option to obtaining the gear, if you can’t raid to obtain it.

Its normal that if i want to get in my house, and the front door sucks, that i will use my back window. But that doesnt mean i wont demand they fix or redesign my front door.

Yes paying people is a way people can get around having to do raid, no that is not a good game design solution to the problem, and people who design the game can expect people to try get them to come up with a better game design.

They may already have plans for this, but dont expect people to be satisfied with an unsupported gamble, that involves not playing the game as intended.

You shouldn’t have bought a house expecting to get in the front door, when the front door was never meant for you, if you wanted to be able to go through the front door, that is. And if you already bought it, demanding that it be changed seems a little pointless, as they are under not obligation to fix anything.

Posted by: slpr.2647

slpr.2647

According to this article, they spent “hundreds of hours” to solve the clipping issue on an armor set designed specifically for a small percentage of the playerbase. They redesigned the core engine behind the game for runes for an armor set designed specifically for that same small percentage (which obviously took a really long time as well). Then there was the aesthetic design, armor animations and collection chains associated with it.

This was no small project (at least 2 years of development by most accounts) – all to develop armor sets for a small subset of the GW2 population that likely cares less about the look of armors than any other – and develop features that (specifically addressing clipping) that others in the game have been BEGGING for.

And, to add insult to injury, they have the gall to say that raids do not take resources from other parts of the game.

This was a colossal waste of time and a very clear indicator that Anet has lost any concept of who their players and long term supporters really are.

THIS! right here!

Fatalyz.7168

Out side of raids where dose metor need an icd for NPC not players? Its sounds like your trying to justified after the fact with nothing to realty back it up.

Where does it need it? Fractals, dungeons, world boss events, shall I keep going? It was over performing in all of those environments. They most likely didn’t care before because, well open world and dungeons. However, with the damage that eles could do, they over shadowed everything, not just in raids.

That the same argument ppl used to remove map composition from wvw and anet did how long befor they do the same with raids requirement for legendary armor why wait?

I’m pretty comfortable in saying that they won’t remove the requirements for raids from this Legendary armor set. And the reason to not do it, was because Anet sold it to us as the ultimate raid reward.

Gw2 been a game for 5 years and the same thing has happen a few times where anet gets locked in on the new thing and try to stay with it but offten they dont. It just happens raids are the new thing and they will hold with them for a time but its not going to last raids will be forgotten much like dungeons reworks. Stop enabling anet to do this cyclical over and over.

If you think raids are a new thing, you haven’t been paying attention. Raids have been in the making for at least half of this games life (iirc Raids were announced close to 2 years ago and before then they were already being worked on, we just didn’t have confirmation before then. The closest we had to confirmation that they were looking for a lead raid designer).

Do you have any proof that Raids aren’t going to last and that they will become abandoned like dungeons? Or are you making things up?

And why was the wepon different they removed map completion from the wepon from wvw and made it more of a “buy” thing why would they just do the same thing as wvw map completion as raids boss fights when you will be able to simply buy your way though it. This is the same problem with legendary weapons and keeped them from becoming legendary. Nothing was learn and they are making the same errors over.

Probably because it never made sense to have wvw tied to map completion? Having to kill bosses to prove mastery, or at least completion of the target content, makes sense. Legendary armor is raid armor, it makes sense to have to do things associated with raids.

Legendary armor IS legendary armor there is raid armor and skins that different.

You are trying to separate the two, and they are not. Legendary armor IS raid armor. You want it to be different, but that doesn’t change what it IS. Which is raid armor that happens to be of Legendary quality.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You shouldn’t have bought a house expecting to get in the front door, when the front door was never meant for you, if you wanted to be able to go through the front door, that is. And if you already bought it, demanding that it be changed seems a little pointless, as they are under not obligation to fix anything.

Wait are you saying GW2 is only for raiders now? That one bold clam your making. I think raids are the reason why GW2 is in such a sad state hell legendary armor skins are the dam reason why they not been put out yet. They could of put out the effect of legendary armor on any gen skin and ppl would of been happy. But no they had to put work into making it look different and what sounds like years of work too. Why not put that work into making the game play better or balancing out classes better. This is a complete waist of every ones time. Every one who plays GW2 should be outrages by this.

Out side of raids where dose metor need an icd for NPC not players? Its sounds like your trying to justified after the fact with nothing to realty back it up.

Where does it need it? Fractals, dungeons, world boss events, shall I keep going? It was over performing in all of those environments. They most likely didn’t care before because, well open world and dungeons. However, with the damage that eles could do, they over shadowed everything, not just in raids.

That the same argument ppl used to remove map composition from wvw and anet did how long befor they do the same with raids requirement for legendary armor why wait?

I’m pretty comfortable in saying that they won’t remove the requirements for raids from this Legendary armor set. And the reason to not do it, was because Anet sold it to us as the ultimate raid reward.

Gw2 been a game for 5 years and the same thing has happen a few times where anet gets locked in on the new thing and try to stay with it but offten they dont. It just happens raids are the new thing and they will hold with them for a time but its not going to last raids will be forgotten much like dungeons reworks. Stop enabling anet to do this cyclical over and over.

If you think raids are a new thing, you haven’t been paying attention. Raids have been in the making for at least half of this games life (iirc Raids were announced close to 2 years ago and before then they were already being worked on, we just didn’t have confirmation before then. The closest we had to confirmation that they were looking for a lead raid designer).

Do you have any proof that Raids aren’t going to last and that they will become abandoned like dungeons? Or are you making things up?

And why was the wepon different they removed map completion from the wepon from wvw and made it more of a “buy” thing why would they just do the same thing as wvw map completion as raids boss fights when you will be able to simply buy your way though it. This is the same problem with legendary weapons and keeped them from becoming legendary. Nothing was learn and they are making the same errors over.

Probably because it never made sense to have wvw tied to map completion? Having to kill bosses to prove mastery, or at least completion of the target content, makes sense. Legendary armor is raid armor, it makes sense to have to do things associated with raids.

Legendary armor IS legendary armor there is raid armor and skins that different.

You are trying to separate the two, and they are not. Legendary armor IS raid armor. You want it to be different, but that doesn’t change what it IS. Which is raid armor that happens to be of Legendary quality.

No. Raid armor is the armor / skins dropped by the boss in raid to call legendary armor raid armor is like calling legendary weapons map completion weapons.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

(edited by Jski.6180)

Fatalyz.7168

Wait are you saying GW2 is only for raiders now? That one bold clam your making. I think raids are the reason why GW2 is in such a sad state hell legendary armor skins are the dam reason why they not been put out yet. They could of put out the effect of legendary armor on any gen skin and ppl would of been happy. But no they had to put work into making it look different and what sounds like years of work too. Why not put that work into making the game play better or balancing out classes better. This is a complete waist of every ones time. Every one who plays GW2 should be outrages by this.

That is not anywhere near close to what I said. I said if you bought into the expansion pack to obtain armor, and didn’t want to do raids to do it, you should be complaining that Legendary armor is behind raids, because that was what was announced with HoT and Raids.

Yes, this team could have been used elsewhere, however it is highly likely that they would have been producing other raid exclusive skins, had it not been for Legendary armor.

No. Raid armor is the armor / skins dropped by the boss in raid to call legendary armor raid armor is like calling legendary weapons map completion weapons.[/quote]

Raid armor and skins drop from bosses, yes. Legendary armor is also Raid armor. It doesn’t have to be dropped from bosses to be called Raid armor. It is called Raid armor because the only way to obtain it is through raids. It was also sold to us by Anet as the ultimate reward for raiding. So, again, yes, Legendary armor is RAID armor, regardless of what you believe.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

Honestly, as much as I’d like it if by some miracle moving pictures and more screentime of those armors would make them somehow less ugly in my eyes, I’ve already seen everything I need to make up my mind.

My main interest before the reveal was the light armor, since my main character is an Elementalist. The robe looks like a sparkly leeching thresher tries to eat your legs. Since the precursor armor has the same cut on the robe on both male and female, I highly doubt that the male armor will be any different.

The rest of the armor is just plastered with sharp crystal shards. I can’t even say that I see much of a theme in the placement of the crystals, the design-motto might as well be “What if the Shatterer sneezed on you?”.

That’s not to say I don’t appreciate some things about the armor. My elementalist is also an Asura. Not just light and medium, even almost every heavy armor has the nude toes clip through the footwear. Even the Gem-Store armors!
At least the retro-godzilla-costume-trenchcoat…the medium legendary armor has special shoes for Asura(armored ones at that). I’ve got to lay down my cynic nature for that: Finally paying some respect to non-human anatomy in your armors is much appreciated, Anet.
Well…back to the usual: The cowl of the same armor once again magically hides the asuran ears.

I’m interested in Raids, haven’t done one yet, but I’m not opposed to getting legendary insights that way. However, I sure understand how people are “upset”(to say it polite) that certain items are gated behind content they might not enjoy. Being someone who despises PvP with every fiber of my being and with the gift of battle now hidden behind a WvW reward track, I sure know that.
I mean, you certainly don’t lack the options for alternative routes:
PvE: Give us a Mastery for that. We unlock it once as usual. Once unlocked you can “train” it again and again. Once the training is complete, you get a Legendary Insight. Might cost a lot more experience than a spirit shard and thus more time.
PvP and WvW: A new NPC and new reward tracks. The reward track awards you with currencies you spend at the new NPC to “fund” expeditions to the raids to get some of those insights.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

I don’t raid so it doesn’t bother me too much since I’ll never obtain the armor, if I did I would’ve been more or less underwhelmed and I feel sorry for those who do put in all the effort and are disappointed af with this joke of a reward.

I stick to my guns and original statement when I first saw the small vid/image of heavy armor from months prior. They’re ugly, heavy probably the least horrible but still. I knew the others would follow suite…

…Static or in-combat – this legendary armor aesthetically is the most boring, underwhelming, unimaginative armor design I’ve seen in an MMO in a long time. To put it bluntly – spikes, floating crystals? 2 years? This is just sad. I cannot find a single word in the English dictionary that would sum up how disappointing and underwhelming 2 year’s worth of effort went towards designing Megatron, Arah 2.0 trenchcoat and obligatory spiky buttcape.

I understand the theme with trenchcoat on medium but if it had to be done that way to keep in with tradition then why couldn’t it, along with the others, be inspired by concept art from multiple sources regarding game armor design or themes in general? Assassin’s Creed, Star Wars to name a few. Things that aren’t over the top – designs that have form and flow neatly whether they are symmetrical or not? They piece together accordingly… unlike what we’ve been presented with here. We have artists that reside on sites like Tumblr, DA and Pinterest (just search knight armor concept art and you get so many talented interpretations and designs with intricate detail that isn’t over the top or slapped on anywhere). But here’s the problem – I’d wager ANet is incapable of replicating extraordinary armor designs such as those due to technical limitations, immense clipping etc…

Perhaps it’s the mentality of “this needs all the detail possible to look epic so cram as much as you can in there.” So yeah. ANet’s legendary armor – loaded with random spikes and repetitive details in unnecessary places. There’s a lot happening. A dog’s breakfast and it ain’t pretty.

What I cannot understand is why ANet doesn’t, unlike other companies, (hell, JAGEX aka Runescape did this to name an example) host polls with concept art for their community to vote on and at least have a say in what goes towards making content – legendary armor of all things at that.

That’s probably my main gripe – a feeling of disconnection there. You don’t get to choose from ice cream or cake for dessert – you’re getting brussel sprouts whether you like it or not.

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

None of them really shine for me. The light is too much like a bandit armor, I would have preferred a robe with some light aesthetics that activate when weapon is equipped. Really would have helped it stand out and yet keep to light armor classes. Medium armor just looks like a scaly robe which really doesn’t seem to fit the medium armor classes. The light armor would have been better for this one though people are getting sick of long coats and trench coats with all medium armor. And the heavy just looks like a Power Ranger copy, it’s too all over the place. I would like to see more elegant sets of armor. Rich heralds with decorated armor schemes. Since they will be the first that doesn’t mean they are the last, hopefully more unique skins are to come in further expansions of the game.

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

I don’t care one bit about raiding so i won’t be getting the armor anyway but I’m not a fan of flashy designs with lots of detail noise.

For me, the best looking armor sets currently in the game are these:
light: vigil, priory, profane
medium: priory, assassin, sneakthief
heavy: protector, barbaric
although i mostly use mashups of various sets

Posted by: Rod.6581

Rod.6581

Just a quick question. Any news on particle effects scroll in Options menu?

Posted by: Ticky.5831

Ticky.5831

But no they had to put work into making it look different and what sounds like years of work too. Why not put that work into making the game play better or balancing out classes better.

Why would they put animators and aesthetic designers on skill balance?

(edited by Ticky.5831)

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

We should just bump the Legendary Armor discussion from way back around HoT’s launch, this entire thread is a throwback to it at this point. Heck, even some of the arguments about Legendary Armor’s look were discussed back then and we didn’t even know what it’ll look like!

That being said, there was zero chance the armor would live up to everyone’s expectations. I do admit that at least with the Leather armor that Trench-coats have been…slightly overdone, but to me this particular trench looks like a better version of the Arah, which I liked back in the day. That being said, my main uses Heavy Armor, so I am building that one first.

They really need to do something about those frigging Provision tokens though, rather lead training runs on VG for a week with no reward than go through the token step again.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I will never touch Legendary armor because I don’t raid so my opinion doesn’t really matter, I guess. But I think they look underwhelming. Some Gem Store Outfits look fancier with all the glows and stuff. Add glows and footfalls, people tend to like those. Tone down the spikes and buttcapes.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

I think legendary armor should be avaliable to obtain in some way in every game mode pvp, pve and wvw. Yes it should be extremely hard to get in any type of game mode. But it should not be locked behind a game mode a majority of guild wars dosnt play.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I think legendary armor should be avaliable to obtain in some way in every game mode pvp, pve and wvw. Yes it should be extremely hard to get in any type of game mode. But it should not be locked behind a game mode a majority of guild wars dosnt play.

This sums it up in a nutshell. I certainly hope ANeT is actually reading this thread instead of tooting their horn. It seems like they ignore the concerns of players who dislike the raids.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

Fatalyz.7168

This sums it up in a nutshell. I certainly hope ANeT is actually reading this thread instead of tooting their horn. It seems like they ignore the concerns of players who dislike the raids.

Why would they listen to complaints about having to do Raids to obtain Legendary armor, when it was announced 2 years ago that the first Legendary armor was going to be locked behind raids. I don’t see them changing the current model, however I do see them developing armors for other game modes.

Posted by: Pino.5209

Pino.5209

Saw the link to the artist on INKS channel’s comment section:
https://gr.pinterest.com/pin/335799715948630186/
https://www.artstation.com/artist/dokdie

My expectations of legendary armors would have been something similar/inline to that artist’s taste and work.

Legendary armor should have sent shiver down your spine and make you say: “I want one too” … not roll around on the floor laughing at it.
No animations are going to save those cringey trench coat and blooming butt cape from being ugly. Heavy armor animation alone already cringe worthy enough to give me Michael Bays’ Transformers vibe.

No one has mentioned this yet but I think the medium and light will look horrendous on Sylvari.

(edited by Pino.5209)

Posted by: Aesa.4819

Aesa.4819

The crying is hilarious, just go do the raids there’s literally nothing stopping you except your own choice not to do them.

I for one am glad that raids got something nice like Legendary Armor.
I hope it looks better in game than in the pictures though. Except the heavy one they look kinda weird, I expected something more “epic”, buy I’ll reserve judgement until I see them in-game.

Posted by: Aethgar.1784

Aethgar.1784

I quite like what the general concept it. I also VERY much would like to see the previews on MALE and female. The female version of the light armor doesn’t appeal at all to me for example, while I am constantly praised, whispered, and personally delighted with how the male chest and boots look when used with other pieces.

Attachments:

Tarnished Coast| House Corvidae
Lord Ahrwit Valdyr/Isambard FitzValdyr/many more…

Heibi.4251

Why would they listen to complaints about having to do Raids to obtain Legendary armor, when it was announced 2 years ago that the first Legendary armor was going to be locked behind raids. I don’t see them changing the current model, however I do see them developing armors for other game modes.

No, apparently they won’t with the current way they ignore the concerns of the MAJORITY of players.

As soon as it was announced that they would lock something that players were actually wanting behind a game mode most players dislike ANeT could have said they would be also developing armor for outside the raids. But they did not. Instead they did what they did with WvW when they decided to turn every borderland into a desert and ignored the feedback they instantly received. You see, with the desert BLs they had done so much work developing them that they sure as kitten were not going to shelve the project. Now it is the same with Legendary Armor. They’ve put too much work into how to get them, along with design, that there is no way that we will see anything outside of raids coming to our game mode any time soon. So I’m not holding my breath that ANeT will actually announce that they will create a non-raid way obtain Legendary Armor. Thanks for ignoring us, ANeT.

Fatalyz.7168

No, apparently they won’t with the current way they ignore the concerns of the MAJORITY of players.

As soon as it was announced that they would lock something that players were actually wanting behind a game mode most players dislike ANeT could have said they would be also developing armor for outside the raids. But they did not. Instead they did what they did with WvW when they decided to turn every borderland into a desert and ignored the feedback they instantly received. You see, with the desert BLs they had done so much work developing them that they sure as kitten were not going to shelve the project. Now it is the same with Legendary Armor. They’ve put too much work into how to get them, along with design, that there is no way that we will see anything outside of raids coming to our game mode any time soon. So I’m not holding my breath that ANeT will actually announce that they will create a non-raid way obtain Legendary Armor. Thanks for ignoring us, ANeT.

Sounds like you were ignoring what Anet was telling you they were going to do, hoping that community would be able to sway their opinion, and on somethings, they have. Been when they flat out tell you what it is and how it is to be obtained, if you objected to that, you should have not bought HoT.

xikira.3264

There are plenty of reasons on not doing raids one the person may have a busy life with work, family or college. This will cut into their time to be able to find a raid to take part in. On top of this due to the meta for raids if the class you normally play is taken then you have to play another class meta thst is not taken. That means to open up your chance to take part in the raids you need multiple armor sets as well as classes that you are skilled at. If you have a pretty busy life outside of guild wars this is hard to do.
Another reason is anxiety some people may be comfortable with doing things with a select few people but may get overwhelmed and not be able to do the raids due to new people new requirements as well as social communication.
Social communication leads to another thing alot of people require some form of vocal communication while doing raids. In alot of groups of you cant be in chat you cant be in the group. There is a huge group of mute and deaf people playing guild wars so for them to be able to find a raiding group to work with them is hard.
Let’s add the fact about how it’s hard to find a decent raid group that raids constantly. To top it off usually they want you to be apart of that guild. Plenty of people have full guilds forcing them to look to lfg for a group. Alot of the groups you find are pretty toxic making it none enjoyable.
On top of all of theese reasons you play guild wars to do things you enjoy you shouldn’t be forced to do something you hate giving up what little time you may have to enjoy yourself. For a set of armor they can easily put in all game modes.

Potion Sella

(edited by xikira.3264)

Pino.5209

Sounds like you were ignoring what Anet was telling you they were going to do, hoping that community would be able to sway their opinion, and on somethings, they have. Been when they flat out tell you what it is and how it is to be obtained, if you objected to that, you should have not bought HoT.

Well, this is true.
Players has been saying/wanting it outside raid too. Anet already said NO to that with HoT expansion. Is it a correct path to take? Anet think that is a Yes.
Mind you this is the same ppl who thought their e-sport was going to take off and HoT expansion’s pvp contents was going to be a success.
./shrugs

Heibi.4251

ANeT ignores the majority at its own peril. They received the negative feedback on WvW for a long time and lost thousands of players due to inaction. Many, if not most of those players, have not returned. It’s very evident with the current WvW situation.

Now, as for non-WvW players, many are getting bored. I hear it from guildies and friends that have played this game from Day 1. So ANeT ignores the complaints, feedback and suggestions of long time players at their own peril if they wish to stay in business. Happy and involved players buy gems.

Posted by: Tank.7821

Tank.7821

There are plenty of reasons on not doing raids one the person may have a busy life with work, family or college. This will cut into their time to be able to find a raid to take part in. On top of this due to the meta for raids if the class you normally play is taken then you have to play another class meta thst is not taken. That means to open up your chance to take part in the raids you need multiple armor sets as well as classes that you are skilled at. If you have a pretty busy life outside of guild wars this is hard to do.
Another reason is anxiety some people may be comfortable with doing things with a select few people but may get overwhelmed and not be able to do the raids due to new people new requirements as well as social communication.
Social communication leads to another thing alot of people require some form of vocal communication while doing raids. In alot of groups of you cant be in chat you cant be in the group. There is a huge group of mute and deaf people playing guild wars so for them to be able to find a raiding group to work with them is hard.
Let’s add the fact about how it’s hard to find a decent raid group that raids constantly. To top it off usually they want you to be apart of that guild. Plenty of people have full guilds forcing them to look to lfg for a group. Alot of the groups you find are pretty toxic making it none enjoyable.
On top of all of theese reasons you play guild wars to do things you enjoy you shouldn’t be forced to do something you hate giving up what little time you may have to enjoy yourself. For a set of armor they can easily put in all game modes.

I fall into the category of busy life, i’d personally love to the raids and get the armor, but rl commitments kinda preclude me from trying, I would not mind a hellishly long collection achievement type thing to go through, that I can plan out and do on my time when available. but anymore than that unfortunately, no.

that said though love the heavy legendary armor, indifferent on the light and medium

Posted by: Aesa.4819

Aesa.4819

I fail to see how all of this is anyone else’s problem? Either solve your issues so you can do what you want, or don’t and instead do something else, it’s that simple.

Fatalyz.7168

Well, this is true.
Players has been saying/wanting it outside raid too. Anet already said NO to that with HoT expansion. Is it a correct path to take? Anet think that is a Yes.
Mind you this is the same ppl who thought their e-sport was going to take off and HoT expansion’s pvp contents was going to be a success.
./shrugs

I don’t think Anet has ever said “NO” to Legendary armor outside of Raids. They just said that the first Legendary armor in the game, would be earned in Raids. This leads me to believe that they intend(ed) to make more, that could be available through other game modes.

Pino.5209

Sounds like you are still living in GW2 circa 2012-13 expectations. GW2 is no longer that game.

For example:

-Power creeps are often associated increament in level cap with expansion pack in conventional mmorpg.
GW2 has had 2 power creeps since release:
1. Ascended gears (though it was small at first and gradual).
2. Behind paywall, Elite Specs.
Power creep is still power creep, whether it is associated with increase in level cap or not. We might as well have level cap increase, it would have made no difference.
The so called horizontal progression was long gone, they just put a sugar coating on it.

-Raid, to draw raiders. Commonly associated/called WoW’s crowd.

Get over it ppl. Legendary armors are locked behind raid. Period.

(edited by Pino.5209)

Pino.5209

Well, this is true.
./shrugs

I don’t think Anet has ever said “NO” to Legendary armor outside of Raids. They just said that the first Legendary armor in the game, would be earned in Raids. This leads me to believe that they intend(ed) to make more, that could be available through other game modes.

I really can’t recall when did they say the “first” legendary armor? ie. implying there are more to come.
I could be wrong.

xikira.3264

I fail to see how all of this is anyone else’s problem? Either solve your issues so you can do what you want, or don’t and instead do something else, it’s that simple.

It is not that simple alot of theese things you can not just fix or solve. If you are deaf and mute alot of times this can not be fixed in any way and if it can be. It will cost thousands of dollars. Anxiety is a mental illness once again it is not something that can just be “solved”. Same with having a busy life there are so many outside things that you have no control of to just fix it to have time to take part in raids. Anet needs to look at all aspects of this. If they want their game to flourish and stay alive they need to start including things and making it available in all game modes so that it gives a chance for everyone to have an experiance.

Potion Sella

Fatalyz.7168

Well, this is true.
./shrugs

I really can’t recall when did they say the “first” legendary armor? ie. implying there are more to come.
I could be wrong.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-challenging-content/

Second to last paragraph: “Secondly, raids will introduce the very first ever set of legendary armor.”

Pino.5209

Well, this is true.
./shrugs

I could be wrong.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/designing-challenging-content/

Second to last paragraph: “Secondly, raids will introduce the very first ever set of legendary armor.”

From the context of the paragraph wise, it doesn’t seems they were trying to imply more are coming. More like to enforce the hype into the upcoming legendary armor.
I dunno, that’s just my perception.
Regardless, at the rate they were working on it, if there are new one coming, we won’t be seeing 2nd set for years. Hello 2020.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

I don’t know why Anet funnels players into certain things now. First with HOT you funnel people into the HOT maps to get their elites. Then you funnel people into PVP last season by paying them liquid gold to get ascended gear. Now you funnel people into raids to get legendary armor. What made this game great originally is that you supported every game mode and people could play however they want. Now it’s like management knows what’s best for us and funnels people into whatever game mode they want people to play.

Heibi.4251

Gaile Gray,
As you see, when you make something exclusive to a certain type of play that only a select few can truly accomplish you create division and bring out the elitists. Sure, make challenging content that can give folks bragging rights, but don’t lock an item I’m sure everyone wants behind an aspect of the game that most don’t like. At least with back pieces there is an option – PVP vs Fractals. One being less venomous than the other.

So please, make sure the folks at ANeT are listening and reading to the complaints, concerns and suggestions of your actual player base. You are, as we always have known, the players’ representative.

Thank you,
A Guild Wars 1 and 2 Beta Player

Posted by: Smoochoo.1086

Smoochoo.1086

Gaile Gray
ArenaNet Communications Manager
penelopehannibal.8947:
Here’s a thought: How about waiting until it’s actually in the game before deciding whether we like something or not?
I think I detect a bit of an ironic voice in that comment. However, I agree with the advice because it just makes sense. (Sort of like looking at the pictures in a photograph menu isn’t the same as tasting the food?)
We know from the blog post that a static screenshot doesn’t show us all the elements incorporated into the legendary armor. I’m looking forward to you guys seeing it fully, after which it’ll be great if you share those impressions as well.

So Gayle,

if we wait and complain afterwards you guys will change the armor in a way the people can actually appreciate it? I seriously doubt it. Additionally, I would like you to show me one player that will wear a whole set of an ugly armor just cuz the effects are “tolerable”.
Therefor, your whole statement is kinda unnecessary.
Anet should seriously consider firing their designers. Haven’t seen a game yet that kittened up the armor skins like guildwars2. Kinda sad since guildwars1 had a lotta decent to great-looking armors. And we get to 700 gems for an outfit that looks exactly like the tutorial monk armor in guildwars1.
But then again, Anet proofed countless times over the last four years that they simply don’t care about their player base which is probably the dominant reason why they lose more and more players.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

It’s cool, if it was a quick project. Considering the amount of time put into it, it really sucks. But hey, maybe the animation and effects are going to blow us away. If it doesn’t though….then you guys did an awful job, sorry. The heavy armor seems to be the coolest.

Posted by: Brigantia.5746

Brigantia.5746

Feedback? Okay, I find it really inconsiderate that legendary armor is only available via raids to the tiny minority of the player base who actually does them. Also, as the others have said, the elitism of people while trying to form a group for a raid is alive and well.
I would like to know why it was decided that I can make and own multiple legendary weapons by playing various game modes yet if I want armor to go with it I am pigeon holed into this ONE game mode. A game mode that even if I try I cannot complete due to elitism and inability to find a competent group.

Brigantia.5746

Aesthetically, I don’t hate the armor but like some of the others also pointed out. . . I am surprised that after 2 years a trench coat was chosen. . . The community has been vocal on wanting to see other variations for medium armor. . .

Fatalyz.7168

Aesthetically, I don’t hate the armor but like some of the others also pointed out. . . I am surprised that after 2 years a trench coat was chosen. . . The community has been vocal on wanting to see other variations for medium armor. . .

The trench coat was chosen 2 years ago. They had already decided on it before the outcry from the preview of the precursor, and told us that it wouldn’t change.

Brigantia.5746

The trench coat was chosen 2 years ago. They had already decided on it before the outcry from the preview of the precursor, and told us that it wouldn’t change.

Right, but I have seen people voice displeasure with trenchcoats on forums and in game since I have played this game from the start.

Fatalyz.7168

Right, but I have seen people voice displeasure with trenchcoats on forums and in game since I have played this game from the start.

That may be, but complaining about an aesthetic that was chosen years ago, and the community was told then, when they complained, that it wasn’t changing, doesn’t provide anything constructive, it’s just rehashing previous complaints.

Brigantia.5746

That may be, but complaining about an aesthetic that was chosen years ago, and the community was told then, when they complained, that it wasn’t changing, doesn’t provide anything constructive, it’s just rehashing previous complaints.

I’m not complaining. I said I don’t hate it. I provided my feedback to it.

Fatalyz.7168

You may not have complained, but the community has. You provided feedback on the armor like you expected something different. Expecting something different than a trenchcoat, when we were told it was going to be a trenchcoat isn’t really useful feedback. I informed you that they are aware of the aesthetic choice that people disagree with, confirmed that they were aware of it, and still chose to go with the design.

Brigantia.5746

You may not have complained, but the community has. You provided feedback on the armor like you expected something different. Expecting something different than a trenchcoat, when we were told it was going to be a trenchcoat isn’t really useful feedback. I informed you that they are aware of the aesthetic choice that people disagree with, confirmed that they were aware of it, and still chose to go with the design.

I’m not sure why you singled me out, but if you read the previous pages posted you would see that others have already given similar feedback. Please, stop trying to pick a bone with me.

Posted by: RandomWolf.3986

RandomWolf.3986

Does this mean that 80% of the game’s population will run around looking exactly the same and then brag about at how ‘unique’ they are? The Weapons were already bad, but this… this is going to achieve new standards.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

The Legendary Armor designs are at least based on pictures on the ugly side. Though the concept of changing effect based on whether or not the player is fighting is a pretty good idea. Hopefully videos may prove me and others wrong later…For something that requires a lot of effort to make, too many people are finding it ugly and Anet must take note of that. In comparison a lot more (better) thought seems to have been put while designing the legendary weapons……There appears to be a clear lack of, not effort, but vision, in designing the armors. …..Everybody was waiting for these armor designs to come out and they are currently a bit dissapointing

(edited by Ankushp.7245)

Posted by: Zaraki.5784

Zaraki.5784

I was wondering, if we complete W4 on monday, will we be able to interact with the last element for the legendary collection on tuesday?

Jski.6180

Does this mean that 80% of the game’s population will run around looking exactly the same and then brag about at how ‘unique’ they are? The Weapons were already bad, but this… this is going to achieve new standards.

For pve players… amusing the game holds together long enofe. If you put a lot of work into something most players are not going to do what is the point? Its like the old question when you start a game should you be able to play most of the content right there and then or should that content be hidden from most of the player base until years down the rode of pve and grinding?

When GW2 first came out there was an ideal of having no levels every one started at the max level and you simply learn skills as you play but there would be no levels to deal with. This is the complete opposite of what GW2 was made for and its going to cause a major brake up in the community causing resentment between it.

Have your skins at the cost of a “nice” community because its going to get very hateful in gw2 soon.

Posted by: Bunter.3795

Bunter.3795

The problem with Legendary Armor being locked behind raids is that this is not the case of a skin. This is the best armor in game. Some will argue that the stats are the same as ascended but the Legendary armor has functionality that ascended does not have and that is the ability to change stats and runes as needed. You cannot do that with ascended. Yes, you can change stats on ascended armor but the cost is prohibitive to do this “as you want” as the current price to change a full set of ascended is at least 91g52s12c (based on current TP buy now and using the cheapest t6 mat) This cost doesn’t include changing an air breather, backpack or the cost of the spirit shards or the cost of runes. Depending on the runes, it can easily add another 1-12g or more to the cost to change the stats as changing ascended destroys the rune. This can easily put the cost over 100g just to change stats once. The small raiding minority gets to do this for free? As many times as they want? This is what I have a problem with in the design of the Legendary Armor system as currently announced.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for locking skins behind content to get people to take part in the content but this goes far beyond a skin. This is a game mechanic that is now locked behind raids. If it was just a skin, very ugly as currently depicted, I wouldn’t have a problem, If I want the skin, I have to do the content.

People compare this to the gift of battle being locked behind a wvw reward track and to a point, I agree, but the big difference is that I can complete a wvw reward track on every character (no matter what their build) and I can do it solo. I don’t need to find 9 other people who are willing to teach me or let alone allow me to learn the raid. I don’t have to find 9 other people who play at the same time I do and want to do the raid at the time I want to do it. I can do that when I work on my gift of battle. I can jump in and work on it for 5 minutes or 5 hours WHEN I WANT TO, not when 9 other people want to do it.

In addition to locking the best armor behind raids, they have also insulted every single person who has played WvW and especially those that have played since launch. SPvP and Fractals have their Legendary Backpacks and have Ascended Armor Vendors which is ironic considering that SPvP doesn’t even need armor yet WvW doesn’t have any of those things. WvW has been in the game since launch and should have at least gotten a Legendary Backpack before Legendary Armor was added as a benefit to a small percentage of the overall game population. Instead WvW gets “blast light fields”. The lack of respect to the WvW community by the game developers is truly appalling.

Like I said earlier, if you want to lock a skin behind content, go ahead, do so. If I want the skin, I’ll do the content but this goes far beyond a skin as the functionality is something of great value that only a small percentage of the population will get. A good example of this is both dungeon and fractal weapons/skins. The original dungeon weapons had weapons that were not better than anything crafted and if you wanted the look or ease in obtaining that stat combo, you did that content. A CoF zerker greatsword functioned no different than any other zerker greatsword whether it was a drop, crafted, whatever. The only difference was the look and ease of obtaining it. This is not the case with Legendary Armor. It is the only armor that functions like it does and is locked behind raids. This should not be locked behind content designed and implemented for a small percentage of the game population.

Jski.6180

What if legendary armor was locked behind wvw walls. I have a feeling ppl who are raiders would be burning down anet and the forms. If your going to add legendary armor and wepon add them for all game types or not at all.

As for skins and skins only THAT is what you should be adding in for one type of game play vs another. Having skins for raids only is ok as well as wvw only and spvp only. But when it comes to what legendary can and will do (being able to swap combos on the fly in a horizontal progression game like gw2) needs to be acceptable with out playing outside of the game types you want to or playing gw2 the way you want to.

(edited by Jski.6180)