Legendary Armor: Feedback [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

Several threads have appeared on the subject of Legendary Armor. We have merged them into this single thread to best focus the discussion, for the benefit of forum participants and for the Dev Team, as well. We ask that you post any additional comments in this thread.

Thank you.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Kyvrn.4209

Kyvrn.4209

For the amount of time that went into this armor, I must say It sucks. Sorry. Apparently spikes make things look cool now.

I’d have been happier if they had just given us the base sets that you start out with when you make a new character. Rather than the 3 cactus suits we got.

At least the way the handled Stat changes and runes is good.

Thank the gods for transmutation charges. Gonna be making good use of those.

Kyvrn | Dom Chrono | Leader of Twinrovas [ROVA]

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not all skins will appeal to everyone.

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Well that’s obvious.

To be fair, so was your title. Of course legendary armor was going to disappoint some people.

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

To be fair, so was your title. Of course legendary armor was going to disappoint some people.

Which is why I stated…

“I’d have been happier if they had just given us the base sets that you start out with when you make a new character. Rather than the 3 cactus suits we got.”

Basically what I am saying is the appearance is what took them a long time. If they had just given us the base sets with legendary perks. I would be happy. Also since when is being disappointed with something the developers do a bad thing? Especially when I really enjoy the game that they make, and was really looking forward to Legendary armor.

Posted by: Shovel Face.4512

Shovel Face.4512

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

The Armors look awful, I know it, you know it, Anet knows it, everyone knows it.

Medium armor is another trench coat when medium armor wardrobe is 96% trench coat. Where’s the diversity? People have stated they HATE trench coats, yet Anet keeps pumping them out.

So much for legendary, I’ll just transmute them. 2 years of awful, hideous crap.

Posted by: roamzero.9486

roamzero.9486

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

The Armors look awful, I know it, you know it, Anet knows it, everyone knows it.

Medium armor is another trench coat when medium armor wardrobe is 96% trench coat. Where’s the diversity? People have stated they HATE trench coats, yet Anet keeps pumping them out.

So much for legendary, I’ll just transmute them. 2 years of awful, hideous crap.

Anet can’t eat into their outfit gem sales now. It’s bad enough that once people craft their favorite legendary weapons they stop going after Black Lion chest skins.

Posted by: tekfan.3179

tekfan.3179

I had at least some hope that the Megatron spike suit…erm, legendary heavy armor would be the worst of the three.
Now I look at the light armor aaand…it looks like Aurene vomited on a mordrem thresher.

Ayrilana.1396

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Has there been a survey since they released the images on whether the armors disappointed players? If not, how can you say the majority? Just because you dislike something doesn’t mean that your opinion is necessarily in the majority.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Idk i really like certain parts of the various sets. And im really surprised that the charr is not a cliping hell

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

Did a different person design the light set, it looks disjointed and awful.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Has there been a survey since they released the images on whether the armors disappointed players? If not, how can you say the majority? Just because you dislike something doesn’t mean that your opinion is necessarily in the majority.

I agree with that.

I would have liked Anet to have done a Poll system for this gear instead of keeping us in the dark for so long, teasing? at it… I guess.

Player feed back on this before official release would have be awesome.

Maybe even have a design competition or something.

Shovel Face.4512

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Well years of me typing on map chat in populated areas about how ugly the armor is in this game and getting a lot of responses agreeing with me is why I say majority.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Did a different person design the light set, it looks disjointed and awful.

yeah definitely diff ppl, diff opinions

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

People say they hate trench coats – Anet adds yet more trench coats
People say they hate required items locked behind failure of events – Anet adds more failure based rewards.
People want more dungeons and dungeon improvements – Anet abandons dungeons completely

Seeing the pattern yet?

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Pick a skin, any skin. 10% of people hate it, 10% love it (if not more of each). There’s literally no way to please everyone, some people are never pleased. All each of us can do is describe our own preferences.

Like other veterans, I have 1000s of skins unlocked and I really only like a tiny handful. ANet’s design team has a different aesthetic than I. They love skulls and spikes and nekkid armor, and all sorts of other things I dislike.

But that’s doesn’t mean the skins they do release are ‘bad’ — some of the designs are tremendous; they just aren’t ones I’d be caught dead in.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Well years of me typing on map chat in populated areas about how ugly the armor is in this game and getting a lot of responses agreeing with me is why I say majority.

I’d be more inclined to say the majority either didn’t see your comments or didn’t feel like responding. Or, more likely, to say that determining a majority opinion requires more than casually surveying chat a few times.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Still… The amount of people that actually play the game. When I was on last night it was over 70k online at that time. You would have had to talk with at least 36k people, and have that many agree with you. That is just online. That doesn’t account for the actual number of active players world wide on NA, and EU.

Shovel Face.4512

I’d be more inclined to say the majority either didn’t see your comments or didn’t feel like responding.

Well you’d be wrong…lol

Shovel Face.4512

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Still… The amount of people that actually play the game. When I was on last night it was over 70k online at that time. You would have had to talk with at least 36k people, and have that many agree with you. That is just online. That doesn’t account for the actual number of active players world wide on NA, and EU.

Well let’s only consider the raiding community since, ya know, there the ones who will be getting the armor. I’m in 2 raid guild and I can tell you right now as I am chatting with them that they all hate it

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’d be more inclined to say the majority either didn’t see your comments or didn’t feel like responding.

Well you’d be wrong…lol

lol, sure.

Ayrilana.1396

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Legendary armor images haven’t been out for years. If you’re referring to regular armor then it sure didn’t come off as that by posting in a thread about legendary armor and replying to a post about legendary armor.

Kyvrn.4209

Pick a skin, any skin. 10% of people hate it, 10% love it (if not more of each). There’s literally no way to please everyone, some people are never pleased. All each of us can do is describe our own preferences.

Like other veterans, I have 1000s of skins unlocked and I really only like a tiny handful. ANet’s design team has a different aesthetic than I. They love skulls and spikes and nekkid armor, and all sorts of other things I dislike.

But that’s doesn’t mean the skins they do release are ‘bad’ — some of the designs are tremendous; they just aren’t ones I’d be caught dead in.

I hear what you are saying and I totally agree. However you missed the point. I think I was pretty clear, but of course I make sense to my self.

What I was saying is they spent a lot of time working on the BEST possible gear in the game that we can obtain, and they managed to make it look worse that I could have imagined. That is unacceptable by my standards. If you are okay with that sort of development method than that’s you. This is The Guild Wars 2 Discussion Forums. Stating obvious things like “SUBJECTIVE LIKES AND DISLIKES” doesn’t add anything to the discussion. That is obvious.

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Well let’s only consider the raiding community since, ya know, there the ones who will be getting the armor. I’m in 2 raid guild and I can tell you right now as I am chatting with them that they all hate it

Yah, I get that. Still not the majority though. I hate it to, but I don’t consider myself the Majority. I just hate it. Doesn’t matter if it’s Majority or Minority. What matters is how much time they put into something so important to the end game of Guild Wars 2 without getting appropriate player feedback on design.

Like I said they would have been better off just allowing us to infuse the legendary effect onto our current ascended gear, and then create some kind of special legendary infusions that we could place on our gear that give it different particle effects. These they could pump out on a regular basis, and I’m sure that would be better than what they gave us instead.

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

I agree with that.

I would have liked Anet to have done a Poll system for this gear instead of keeping us in the dark for so long, teasing? at it… I guess.

To be fair, outside of the animations, we already had a very good idea of what the base design of the armor was going to be. For example, we’ve known for a looooong time that the medium armor was going to have a trench coat design, that is not new information. We’ve also know that the light armor was going to have it’s cape feature.

At the end of the day, the base design we’ve known for a long time, and also known that they were going to change it.

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

I agree with that.

To be fair, outside of the animations, we already had a very good idea of what the base design of the armor was going to be. For example, we’ve known for a looooong time that the medium armor was going to have a trench coat design, that is not new information. We’ve also know that the light armor was going to have it’s cape feature.

At the end of the day, the base design we’ve known for a long time, and also known that they were going to change it.

Yup. I was disappointed then, and even more so now.

I was applying false hope. So I guess I am partly to blame on that front.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Yah, I get that. Still not the majority though. I hate it to, but I don’t consider myself the Majority. I just hate it. Doesn’t matter if it’s Majority or Minority. What matters is how much time they put into something so important to the end game of Guild Wars 2 without getting appropriate player feedback on design.

Like I said they would have been better off just allowing us to infuse the legendary effect onto our current ascended gear, and then create some kind of special legendary infusions that we could place on our gear that give it different particle effects. These they could pump out on a regular basis, and I’m sure that would be better than what they gave us instead.

I would have preferred legendary auras or something of the sort as raid rewards rather than a new tier of armor.

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

I would have preferred legendary auras or something of the sort as raid rewards rather than a new tier of armor.

Yah like the Ghostly Infusions from raids, and the other Halloween and Wintersday ones they had. Those are 10x cooler than the new Legendary Armor.

Posted by: Natto.5819

Natto.5819

Heavy – Decent looking Gem Store set.
Medium – Boney. Trenchcoat bones.
Light – Probably only armor going to have aura animated between spikes.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Well that’s obvious.

Which is why I stated…

“I’d have been happier if they had just given us the base sets that you start out with when you make a new character. Rather than the 3 cactus suits we got.”

you can?
Just craft the cactus suit, and transmute it back to envoy
Everyone wins

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Which is why I stated…

you can?
Just craft the cactus suit, and transmute it back to envoy
Everyone wins

hmmmmm… I seem to remember that being mentioned…

OH WAIT

“Thank the gods for transmutation charges. Gonna be making good use of those.”

Learn to read…

Also the envoy armor is just as bad.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

“Manages to disappoint” implies that being impressive was almost a guaranteed thing. Considering how many people have been disappointed by legendaries already that was not an appropriate expectation.

Kyvrn.4209

“Manages to disappoint” implies that being impressive was almost a guaranteed thing. Considering how many people have been disappointed by legendaries already that was not an appropriate expectation.

Don’t even get me started on that Legendary Rifle!

The title was made that way to sort of be like a “Who would have thunk” kind of title.

Ayrilana.1396

We haven’t even seen what the animations look like either.

Kyvrn.4209

Because that will somehow make them look cooler?

Ayrilana.1396

You never know.

Kyvrn.4209

You never know.

I won’t get my hopes up for this one. I’m batting 2/3 Strikes here.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

They are all about what I expected. So while I’m not “disappointed”, I am certainly underwhelmed.

Also, the next person who adds a trenchcoat to this game should be fired on the spot.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Kyvrn.4209

They are all about what I expected. So while I’m not “disappointed”, I am certainly underwhelmed.

Also, the next person who adds a trenchcoat to this game should be fired on the spot.

Fired with actual fire.

“But Trench Coats are Edgy”

Burn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Light armor is cool, Medium armor is very bad it’s another trenchcoat and Heavy is ok but not bulky enough for my Charr Guardian…

Posted by: MokahTGS.7850

MokahTGS.7850

I like the heavy set and don’t know about the light, since it seems very dependent on the VFX with it.

IMO, I think they should have made the armor less about physical appearance and more about an VFX aura you get, maybe even choosing from a group of auras to display.. That along with full stat swapping would have made it work for me.

That would allow me to choose whatever skin I want/like with a cool aura and setting my stats for the situation. Doing it this way would increase the value of the armor in my mind and actually be something I’d want to work for. As it stands now, since the medium is so ugly (IMO) I wouldn’t waste my time.

Kyvrn.4209

I like the heavy set and don’t know about the light, since it seems very dependent on the VFX with it.

IMO, I think they should have made the armor less about physical appearance and more about an VFX aura you get, maybe even choosing from a group of auras to display.. That along with full stat swapping would have made it work for me.

That would allow me to choose whatever skin I want/like with a cool aura and setting my stats for the situation. Doing it this way would increase the value of the armor in my mind and actually be something I’d want to work for. As it stands now, since the medium is so ugly (IMO) I wouldn’t waste my time.

THIS

Posted by: Khailyn.6248

Khailyn.6248

The heavy set I like (tho I dont play a heavy profession main), I was disappointed in the light set as I was hoping for a balance of the profession themes (or even a dark theme) rather than crystals which seems a bit elementalist bias. Medium for me personally missed the mark completely, as I was hoping for a nature balance and not a coat. But this is just my opinion, and does not reflect the views of anyone else. We all have our preferences, and this time around some will be happy and others will not. Cannot be helped.

When AN makes a new gem store outfit, 90 percent of the time I couldnt care less b/c either I dont like it in general or it doesnt fit the theme of my characters. Light legenary armor doesnt fit my reaper at all so thats a pass, medium doesnt fit my druid at all so thats another pass. Better luck next round/expansion.

‘Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back.’

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

The light set is just a remade version of envoy armor: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/gw2-envoy-armor-light-female.jpg

Look’s like a joker costume and not legendary at all. You really cheaped out on this Anet.

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

Posted by: Chrysophyta.5410

Chrysophyta.5410

The light set is just a remade version of envoy armor: http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/gw2-envoy-armor-light-female.jpg

Look’s like a joker costume and not legendary at all. You really cheaped out on this Anet.

thats because the envoy armour is the precursor to the legendary

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Those three armor sets are hideous looking. They must have had technical issues making the armor because they sure didn’t spend time in the art department.

SBI

Kyvrn.4209

Well that’s obvious.

Not some, majority.

Is there some way of getting Legendary Armor outside of Raids that I am not aware of? It was my understanding that in order to get the Legendary Armor you had to do Raids, so if someone isn’t a part of the Raid community, their opinion on the matter is pretty invalid I’d say, as they aren’t ever going to work towards that goal of having Legendary Armor without having to do Raids, which they aren’t doing, like I said unless there is some way to obtain the armor without doing Raids that hasn’t been made aware to me or the players I’ve encountered in the game. I was of the understanding that to make the armor you had to do Raids.

As of now. Though I won’t be surprised when you can win a piece from BL Chests sometime in the future.

Posted by: st elmos fire.2987

st elmos fire.2987

I am extremely happy with all of the legendary armors and cant wait to see them in game. Imo they nailed it. Sad to see how many dislike them tho.

Aka Flux

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

The problem is that the majority of armor in this game has those elements highlighted in your post.
Skulls, spikes and other sharp tidbits are ok as variety – but it’s almost all we get. We don’t have more down to earth traditional skins.

Which in my book is a problem.

Also I feel like all 3 designs aren’t worth it for me. I’ll make the heavy and probably skin my T3 cultural human over it after a week or so.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”