Legendary Armor and Raids

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Please tell me there will be more ways to obtain legendary armor than strictly raiding?

I’d hope it’s like weapons where it requires a little bit of everything to get. If raiding is needed then preferably a reward track or something like happened to dungeons.

Otherwise it would be best called raid armor or elite armor as it has nothing to do with the definition of legendary in GW2 terms.

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

They announced with the announcement of raid content that Legendary Armor will only be available through raid content.

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Little bit of everything for all other Legendaries? All other Legendaries 99.99% Pve and .01% WvW…… you don’t have to pvp to get Legendary weapons and used to not even WvW before the GoB change…

Gotejjeken.1267

Ah, ok. So I’ll just wait a year then until that changes. Like original legendary not being tradeable, or able to be wardrobe skins. Or when you actually had to run dungeons to get the items, etc.

It’s amazing how far from the original vision this game has gotten.

I’m all for raiding being one element in the recipie, but the entire thing is laughable.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

Only the legendary insights are from raids, the rest is from HoT maps and the usual stuff you need for legendaries such as t6 mats and clovers.
It will cost seveeral thousand gold to craft in addition to 150 legendary insights per set.

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

Posted by: Moss.5371

Moss.5371

Hi, I’m Paul Ella, producer for Guild Wars 2 raids

Isn’t this a clue? Yes, only raid sadly. It’s all that matters now.

Gotejjeken.1267

Little bit of everything for all other Legendaries? All other Legendaries 99.99% Pve and .01% WvW…… you don’t have to pvp to get Legendary weapons and used to not even WvW before the GoB change…

You were right up until reward tracks became a thing. Outside of map exploration I don’t have to pve at all to get the original set.

New set more pve gated, that’ll probably change when next expansion comes out.

Even so, making legendary armor raid exclusive is just like making legendary armor WvW exclusive.

The only prestige items that are sensible to be this way are money pvp items. Because that takes skill not everyone has. Just don’t call them legendary.

BlaqueFyre.5678

You were right up until reward tracks became a thing. Outside of map exploration I don’t have to pve at all to get the original set.

Even so, making legendary armor raid exclusive is just like making legendary armor WvW exclusive.

The only prestige items that are sensible to be this way are money pvp items. Because that takes skill not everyone has. Just don’t call them legendary.

How was I wrong I said up until the GoB change you didn’t have to WvW since WvW map completion was removed vey shortly after launch. Before the GoB reward track you could get all legendary weapons by doing 100% PvE, now it takes 4.5-8 hrs max of WvW to get a GoB.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

They announced with the announcement of raid content that Legendary Armor will only be available through raid content.

They haven’t actually. They strongly suggested that at the moment raids are the way to do it, but they never said it won’t change in the future.
Note: that doesn’t mean it will change, just that they like to keep their options open. That saying, there were a lot of other content-specific restictions for other things that were at some time eased or removed, so…

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

I think there should be more sets of legendary armor available from other sources instead of normalizing everything. In Guild Wars 1, you had a variety of “elite” skins obtainable from content (vabbi armor, obsidian armor, etc etc.) and if you wanted a certain skin you had to get it from the specific content that gave the currency for it. There was no “well this one is too hard and too few people do it”, you either go there and do it or don’t get the armor.

This is only fair and I don’t understand this trend of “I should be able to get everything doing anything!”. No you shouldn’t, I don’t want to get experimental envoy armor which is lore tied to the Forsaken Thicket by instead killing randoms in WvW or farming 5000000 woods on the shiverpeaks, that would make no sense, would break immersion, and would devalue the skin to the point it would just be ugly. Not like it’s not ugly already, but right now it’s something ugly you can be “reasonably proud” of, because it means you went through a lot of some specific content. Going around Ravenwatching to get Nevermore is also something to be “reasonably proud” of, because you spent your own time doing a very particular task to achieve something, regardless of the value that other people give to said task or said achievement, and that’s rewarding in itself. If the devs have taken Psychology 101, they will never release this set outside of raids, and will release other armor instead.

Astralporing.1957

I don’t want to get experimental envoy armor which is lore tied to the Forsaken Thicket

Not to nitpick, but Envoy armor and/or weapons are not Lore-tied to Forsaken Thicket but to Cantha.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: maxwelgm.4315

maxwelgm.4315

^ Well, to be very specific you’re right; I suppose what I actually mean is: the very collection you need to obtain the armor is tied to the Thicket, as you are required to get items which are very specific to the bosses and to the environment: like the chromatic ooze from the Juggernaut collection (among countless other examples), they can’t and shouldn’t be obtainable elsewhere. It just so happens that such items are inside raids instead of open maps, but how is it really different from other legendaries aside from that?

Posted by: Damash.2754

Damash.2754

Thank You Anet for bringing an Legy Armor for a small player base only. You are the best! /iro off

It’s absolute fun and highly enjoyable playing GW2 at the moment.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

You can get Legendary armor without “playing” raids once. You don’t have to participate – you can play the TP all you want, or cash to gems to gold all you want and buy runs for the LIs.

You have alternative ways of getting it.
They just aren’t cheap.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

Players from pugs to guildmates made the experience horrible, we are all learning yet people single out one or two players to pile all the blame on, happened a few times in fail raids, after that i gave up…

Gotejjeken.1267

How was I wrong I said up until the GoB change you didn’t have to WvW since WvW map completion was removed vey shortly after launch. Before the GoB reward track you could get all legendary weapons by doing 100% PvE, now it takes 4.5-8 hrs max of WvW to get a GoB.

That’s just it, at launch you had to WvW to get badges of honor to get the gift of battle. As you mentioned there was also map completion in WvW.

The reason PvP wasn’t a thing as it had a separate wardrobe and everything, it exists ‘outside’ of everything else.

Also, when we say PvE, we have to take into account what that meant. It meant going out and doing karma related activities for obsidian, doing actual world completion and hearts, etc. etc. It wasn’t just tied to dungeons, fractals, or any ‘elite’ content.

I do agree with having prestige armor though. If there is prestige armor for raids, great. Have some for WvW, or whatever. In fact, dungeons did just this before they were erased from being relevant.

My main problem is calling this legendary armor when it is gated behind a very specific activity. It goes against what the word legendary has meant these past four years.

BlaqueFyre.5678

That’s just it, at launch you had to WvW to get badges of honor to get the gift of battle. As you mentioned there was also map completion in WvW.

The reason PvP wasn’t a thing as it had a separate wardrobe and everything, it exists ‘outside’ of everything else.

Also, when we say PvE, we have to take into account what that meant. It meant going out and doing karma related activities for obsidian, doing actual world completion and hearts, etc. etc. It wasn’t just tied to dungeons, fractals, or any ‘elite’ content.

I do agree with having prestige armor though. If there is prestige armor for raids, great. Have some for WvW, or whatever. In fact, dungeons did just this before they were erased from being relevant.

My main problem is calling this legendary armor when it is gated behind a very specific activity. It goes against what the word legendary has meant these past four years.

How though? Legendarys are gated behind specific content open world Pve is all weapons pvp has a back raids armor WvW nothing

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed, they obviously need ways to earn this armor outside of raids, because raids aren’t for everyone.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Keriana.9635

Keriana.9635

It is very annoying that they are releasing legendary armor for raids only at first.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

I am happy that legendary armor is something tied to raid actually. it is already frustrating that when you kill a boss the reward is just some exotic garbage unless you are lucky to get some ascended. otherwise raids would be just hard content for nothing.
also i don’t understand all the complains, i know raid is not just stack and kill and i am happy it require coordination and knowledge of the fight, just learn how to do it, gather 9 other friends and go do it. it is supposed to be frustrating at start and to fail a lot, you can’t just cry to make it easier or make the armor available elsewhere.

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Astralporing.1957

It just so happens that such items are inside raids instead of open maps, but how is it really different from other legendaries aside from that?

Accessibility. Open world legendaries were just that – open world, so practically anyone could work towards them at their own rate. Most players would never reach them, of course, but they were still following the same road.
In the case of armor, however, the road is a narrow path most players will never put a foot on (and that’s by design).

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

Still pretty ugly in my opinion and a waste of time to get. Looks better then the pre of it but not by much. Sure the animation of it was cool but when your just staring at the back of your toon when you go into combat it really makes no difference.

As for it being tied to raids not that big of a deal. Sure it would be nice to get it in another way specially for those that either have no interest in raids (like me) or are just not that good with the game (30% of player based on my experience)

Ohoni.6057

also i don’t understand all the complains, i know raid is not just stack and kill and i am happy it require coordination and knowledge of the fight, just learn how to do it, gather 9 other friends and go do it. it is supposed to be frustrating at start and to fail a lot, you can’t just cry to make it easier or make the armor available elsewhere.

To many people, none of that is at all enjoyable. If you enjoy raids, that’s awesome, keep playing them and having fun, but don’t act as though everyone should enjoy them. They are a very specific type of content that some people enjoy, and others do not, and that’s OK.

done by now.”

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

To many people, none of that is at all enjoyable. If you enjoy raids, that’s awesome, keep playing them and having fun, but don’t act as though everyone should enjoy them. They are a very specific type of content that some people enjoy, and others do not, and that’s OK.

And because it is actual hard content instead of press 1 to win/exploit AB for money, it deserves the best rewards in the game. I am actually a little kittened off that in this game, every reward in it is buyable with money. There are basically only a handful of items in this game that do actually require the player to not be horrible so I am glad that the armor requires you to be non-terrible, not even good, just not terrible. Yes I know you can techniqually buy all 150 LI, but that would cost so much that I doubt there will be many who do.

Astralporing.1957

And because it is actual hard content instead of press 1 to win/exploit AB for money, it deserves the best rewards in the game.

Sorry to disappoint you, but if we were to follow that train of thought, the best rewards would have been exclusive to pvp. Not Raids.

Actions, not words.

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

And because it is actual hard content instead of press 1 to win/exploit AB for money, it deserves the best rewards in the game.

Sorry to disappoint you, but if we were to follow that train of thought, the best rewards would have been exclusive to pvp. Not Raids.

The day when all classes are viable in the same season for PvP sure, but until that day PvP will always be a joke. Raids at least had all classes being viable before this patch. And PvP already has the best armor in this game, glorious hero is better than everything including the legendary armor.

Posted by: Seth.8906

Seth.8906

The day when all classes are viable in the same season for PvP sure, but until that day PvP will always be a joke. Raids at least had all classes being viable before this patch. And PvP already has the best armor in this game, glorious hero is better than everything including the legendary armor.

Pvp can be a joke but… Raid? 10 ant trained for do the same loop of action.
And yes try look mid and light armour is better go naked

Posted by: Daniel.5428

Daniel.5428

Ah, ok. So I’ll just wait a year then until that changes. Like original legendary not being tradeable, or able to be wardrobe skins. Or when you actually had to run dungeons to get the items, etc.

It’s amazing how far from the original vision this game has gotten.

I’m all for raiding being one element in the recipie, but the entire thing is laughable.

No, is not. Legendaries are not ,,a bit of everything". First weapon set is just pve and farm. Second is just HoT maps farm. Backs are just pvp or just fractals. Armor will be just raids. If you want a fully legendary geared character, you will have to play all contents. The raiding problem is nearly solved, there are a lot of training groups. My guild never did raids and they are around 75-80 Li each now.

Posted by: TheMSR.7120

TheMSR.7120

There will be a point, where ‘at least 1 piece leg armor’ LFGs becomes a thing ☢

Posted by: Seth.8906

Seth.8906

Just wait and helmet shoulder animated will be on gem store.

I just hope they make a naked legendary armour for pve/www

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

Just come to grips with it. If you don’t like raids you won’t get the legendary armor.

Like me. I got a bit depressed today when I saw it. I considered making a complain thread, nah. I considered quitting, nah. Finally I thought to myself, well I got ascended armor, I guess that’s enough and I am sure I might get bored of the legend skin after a long time. The stat changing isn’t that big deal to me since berserker meta is all I really play.

I mean really we could put forth a tremendous amountof effort and joina raid schedule guild group and learn all the fights and that, even though we dislike the cut-throat environment. But we choose not to, so we have to accept it.

Ohoni.6057

No.

And PvP already has the best armor in this game, glorious hero is better than everything including the legendary armor.

That’s extremely subjective, I was never terribly impressed with Glorious Hero armor, but it makes a good point, that each player views armor subjectively, and what is one player’s favorite, another player may not care about at all, so there’s no way to say “well this armor is exclusive to the content I like, but that’s ok because that other armor is exclusive to content you like, and you can get that instead.”

If the armor a player wants is locked behind content he does not enjoy, and the armor he can get is armor he does not want, then that is a completely moot point. What matters for the health of the game is that players can earn the rewards that they want, and have fun doing it. Any artificial barriers that the devs put up that prevent players from doing that, harm the game.

done by now.”