Legendary Nothing

Legendary Nothing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elegie.3620

Elegie.3620

Hi,

I have been playing the game since the beginning. I am the proud owner of a legendary weapon. It took me many months to craft it, visiting all maps, participating into WvW campaigns, making disheartening requests to Zommoros, farming rare items and events.

To me, legendary meant the ultimate achievement, one that one could aim at after clearing all content of the game, one that could prove one had become a knowledgeable player of GW2. Legendary was “effort” and “pain”, and it was outlined as such by ArenaNet.

It has now become a meaningless quest: you have twisted the economical rules so that people get more gold, you have given immediate access to precursor and legendary weapons through the Black Lion Trade House, and now: you offer them as a reward for a few tournaments.

Repeatedly changing the rules for the most important quest of the game has emptied it from its substance, and is a mark of contempt to all those who played by the initial rules. You’ve wasted my feelings as a player, and shattered my trust.

Regards.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

How exactly? They could be bought from day 1. That they are given as a reward for an international tournament debases them for you is a little strange.

Legendary Nothing

Elegie.3620

How exactly? They could be bought from day 1. That they are given as a reward for an international tournament debases them for you is a little strange.

Legendary weapons could not be bought from day 1, far from it. They could only be crafted, hence the special meaning that they held.

Regards.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

They had to be crafted first then bought by other players. I still don’t see the difference just that it took a month for people to craft and sell.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I believe the precursor were able to be sold but making legendary itself couldn’t be traded.

Devona’s Rest

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Legendary weapons could not be bought from day 1, far from it. They could only be crafted, hence the special meaning that they held.

Regards.

But a player didn’t have to craft them. They could have bought them off of the TP. For people like that, chances are the weapon itself doesn’t mean anything special.

Here’s some food for thought: Surely the meaning behind the weapon comes from the effort you put into it, and not it simply being special because it’s called a Legendary? Just as the meaning for the weapon for you comes from the effort, the meaning from them 5 winners will come from the fact they had to win.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Legendary Nothing

Elegie.3620

But a player didn’t have to craft them. They could have bought them off of the TP. For people like that, chances are the weapon itself doesn’t mean anything special.

Which is my point, actually. I had already made my own weapon, when they decided that it could now be bought from the TP. Had I known that in advance, I would never have made it, because it had lost its meaning right then.

But I believe that I get where you’re going to: since the legendary weapon has virtually meant nothing anymore for a long time now, why get upset about them giving it away like that? I cannot answer to that, except by what I already stated: it’s an renewed expression of contempt for the efforts I initially poured in the game, going by with the false belief (originally backed By ArenaNet) that a legendary weapon would always remain the highest possible achievement in the game.

Here’s some food for thought: Surely the meaning behind the weapon comes from the effort you put into it, and not it simply being special because it’s called a Legendary? Just as the meaning for the weapon for you comes from the effort, the meaning from them 5 winners will come from the fact they had to win.

The meaning comes from the effort, you are definitely right. But a legendary weapon has nothing to do with PvP, none of its component comes from a PVP achievement, and it cannot even be used in PVP. Why not offer some awesome PVP reward to PVP players, as it appears that both contents have nothing in common – for instance: a legendary skin, which would distinguish the winners when they play? Why offer the ultimate reward for my content, when the provided efforts are not of the same nature nor the same intensity?

Regards.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

So?

Not everyone is lucky enough for that precursor drop to come for them, ever. Luck =/= skill for anything, farming money and materials isn’t even an exercise in skill, it’s an exercise in boredom if anything. Farming up the gold is just as skillful as farming up the drop.

Winning one in a PvP tournament where only the top players who participate will be involved makes more sense, since those players have to actually use skill to obtain the weapon in the first place, rather than mindlessly grinding content for months on end.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

a) It’s not a give away, it’s a prize.
b) Nobody knows if it’s a skin, or a true legendary.
c) The effort of winning an international PvP tournament > a month of grinding gold. You have wrong conception of intensity.
d) Why can’t there be equity between game modes?

Snow Crows [SC]

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

so you grinding for a month is somehow a harder task than being the very best of the very best of the world in playing GW2?

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Good thing you’re not repeating me… Notice time past. Expect nothing.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The meaning comes from the effort, you are definitely right. But a legendary weapon has nothing to do with PvP, none of its component comes from a PVP achievement, and it cannot even be used in PVP. Why not offer some awesome PVP reward to PVP players, as it appears that both contents have nothing in common – for instance: a legendary skin, which would distinguish the winners when they play? Why offer the ultimate reward for my content, when the provided efforts are not of the same nature nor the same intensity?

Regards.

Legendary weapons are the game’s ultimate carrot. There have been far fewer updates to PvP rewards than PvE rewards since the game launched. One of the complaints by PvP players is having to enter PvE to pursue the game’s ultimate carrot. Putting a Legendary item up as a tournament prize is hardly flooding the market with the items. After all, how many players will win the prize? Taking away a miniscule chance for a PvP-only player to get something s/he would like from participating in Pvp seems unwarranted to me. That demographic has gotten the kitten end of the stick since launch. And this is from a player who doesn’t PvP, so I have no investment in the outcome.

While I don’t have a problem with Legendaries being sold on the TP, TP sales are going to devalue the prestige of a legendary a lot more than the tournament rewards ever did.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

While I don’t have a problem with Legendaries being sold on the TP, TP sales are going to devalue the prestige of a legendary a lot more than the tournament rewards ever did.

I can’t figure what’s the difference between the prestige of a legendary that has been crafted and one that has been bought.
Most of the Legendary components have been always sold on the TP and farming gold has always been the fastest way to get them.

What’s the difference? world completion (which is something most players eventually do with at least one character), Karma (which is just about playing a lot and also can be farmed to some degree) and a minor amount of dungeon tokens and badges of honor?

The prestige of a Legendary has always been about farming/grinding, so buying it directly from the TP doesn’t really involve a different kind of commitment.

Winning a PvP tournament is far different because it’s more about skill than commitment (even if commitment is somehow present too). While I don’t have any kind of admiration or increased respect for a legendary bearer, I do for a sPvP tournament champion. Some other player could, however, value things just the opposite way

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

GW2 is one of the few games where you can get the best items while being one of the worst players in the game at the same time. Just by grinding content.

The players that are able to win this tournament are some of the most hardcore players in the game. Guys that played this game like a fulltime job since release. While getting next to no rewards for all that effort.

And only the very best of that hardcore group will get it.

I have 3 pve guildies that have legendaries. All of them have 1000-2500 hours played. Trust me…..The guys that will win that tournament will all have 4000+ hours played in this game.

The effort isnt even comparable.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Recalibar.6482

Recalibar.6482

Hi,

I have been playing the game since the beginning. I am the proud owner of a legendary weapon. It took me many months to craft it, visiting all maps, participating into WvW campaigns, making disheartening requests to Zommoros, farming rare items and events.

To me, legendary meant the ultimate achievement, one that one could aim at after clearing all content of the game, one that could prove one had become a knowledgeable player of GW2. Legendary was “effort” and “pain”, and it was outlined as such by ArenaNet.

It has now become a meaningless quest: you have twisted the economical rules so that people get more gold, you have given immediate access to precursor and legendary weapons through the Black Lion Trade House, and now: you offer them as a reward for a few tournaments.

Repeatedly changing the rules for the most important quest of the game has emptied it from its substance, and is a mark of contempt to all those who played by the initial rules. You’ve wasted my feelings as a player, and shattered my trust.

Regards.

I don’t think one legendary is going to tip the balance of the number of people that should have such prestige. To me, Pvp championships are a pretty good way to introduce them to the economy (In fact, I’d argue that so many people have legendary weapons these days that getting a free one from a championship position is kind of lame.)

I would argue, however, three points:
1) Legendaries should be account bound upon creation.
2) When precursor crafting becomes available, it should require 1000+ hours investment from the people looking to create them. Considering that I’ve played for 4000 hours and only made two legendaries, it’s a pretty reasonable expectation.
3) Crafted precursors should be account bound.

I think limiting legendaries is a good thing, the fact that people running level 50 fractals decked with them almost undermines their value. I know, it’s endgame content, but the problem is that when everyone has one, they no longer have any value as a symbol of prestige.

I recently joined a group yesterday that was looking for experienced heavies after not reading their post. I was greeted with this dialogue.

“Hey, heavies only”
Oh, sorry, do my twin incinerators change your mind? link
“I’m not impressed with your credit card.”
I have over 4000 hours logged into this character alone and almost 10k AP.
“Oh, sorry, your *parent’s credit card.”

I mean, I was mad, but I totally understood where they were coming from. Owning legendaries just isn’t that impressive anymore.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: root.9415

root.9415

In GW1 winners of pvp tournaments were awarded actual real life prizes e.i cash. I seem to remember a 100k dollar tourny at one point.

In GW2, a game that’s made orders of magnitude more profits than it’s predecessor, they are giving away pixels, at zero cost to the company, and somehow this is too much

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

RNG invalidates all efforts. As long as RNG is the only way of making a new precursor it will never be an ultimate achievement. If they wanted legendaries to be an ultimate achievement then they should make it quest/event driven that is extremely hard to do but guarantees you a precursor at the end of it.

When RNG makes it so that a person who has been playing 1 day has the same chance as someone who has been here since beta of getting a precursor there is no ultimate achievement or measure of effort. Its luck. RNG. No amount of effort on your part will ever change it. No amount of skill will ever change it. No amount of dull farming will ever change it. That is the nature of RNG. No guarantees, just luck.

There was never any ultimate achievement for legendaries. There was never any effort through increasing skill to get it. RNG invalidates all of that. It takes no skill to farm gold, or karma or anything necessary to get precursor.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

Meh. I crafted my first Legendary, used it for a little while, and then switched mains. My Bifrost is just sitting in my Bank gathering dust. I earned it the hard way, but I can’t even be bothered to use it.

I even bought one of those Transmutation Splitters so I can move the Bifrost to my new main, but that character has an Ascended Jade Dragon Staff, and I like that skin better so I haven’t bothered moving it.

Legendary Weapons just aren’t a big deal. They are no different from an ascended weapon, except for the ability to change stats. While that utility feature is nice, I don’t really use it, and I don’t miss it. Legendary Bifrost? So what? Big deal.

The only thing special about Legendary Weapons is the price tag. Not worth it.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Getting 1st in the PVP tournament is harder than grinding for your materials, doing a bit of WvW and even playing the MF for a precursor.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Getting 1st in the PVP tournament is harder than grinding for your materials, doing a bit of WvW and even playing the MF for a precursor.

Agreed.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

I say this to everyone at least once:

This is an MMO.
You are not a special snowflake.
You will never be a special snowflake.
Nothing you own will ever be truly rare or unique.
Get things because you like them, not because you think they’ll be rare or make you stand out. They won’t.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: jsduke.6537

jsduke.6537

This is an MMO.
Get things because you like them, not because you think they’ll be rare or make you stand out. They won’t.

You are wise, Master Quarktastic. Words to live by. Er… play by… whatever.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Kit.3986

Kit.3986

EDIT: I typed a thing, it broke the reply (no text showed up x.x) and I’m too tired to retype it, but… it was basically:

Legendaries were never impressive hallmarks for other players to be like “That person knows how to play” they were always farmed up items. Take a crapload of time, yes, but they’re basically just pretty skins.

Let people have their pretty skins whether or not you think they “deserve” them. Or, if that’s not a good thing (and raising he time to make one to 1k hours is dumb):

Only let them be available through these PvP tournaments. Since you need to know your class, have skill with your class, know how your class meshes and works with other classes, knowing various builds to know the enemy weaknesses and strategies, knowing the game mechanics, etc… which are all aspects of knowledge that make someone a better/good player… and so, their legendary would mean “I know my class well enough to beat down everyone else.”

(edited by Kit.3986)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

I’m still very proud of my Sunrise. Worked my butt off for it for over a year, left me with 10g and it was totally worth it.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

Winning a world championship is infinitely more legendary than grinding pve.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Legendaries never meant anything to begin with, all it is rng and grind. Only reason why I like them because I can change my stats. If Anet came to me and told me I had to give up all my legendaries or my pvp rank. I’d give up my legendaries without even thinking.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I can’t figure what’s the difference between the prestige of a legendary that has been crafted and one that has been bought.
Most of the Legendary components have been always sold on the TP and farming gold has always been the fastest way to get them.

What’s the difference? world completion (which is something most players eventually do with at least one character), Karma (which is just about playing a lot and also can be farmed to some degree) and a minor amount of dungeon tokens and badges of honor?

The prestige of a Legendary has always been about farming/grinding, so buying it directly from the TP doesn’t really involve a different kind of commitment.

Winning a PvP tournament is far different because it’s more about skill than commitment (even if commitment is somehow present too). While I don’t have any kind of admiration or increased respect for a legendary bearer, I do for a sPvP tournament champion. Some other player could, however, value things just the opposite way

I have more respect for someone who’s done map completion and dungeons than for someone who staff 1 farms ad nauseam. I’ll grant that the prestige of a legendary is less than that attendant to someone in another game wearing top tier gear that can only be obtained in the hardest content. And yes, I would feel more respect for a top PvP player over a top PvE player in many MMO’s.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Calys Teneb.7015

Calys Teneb.7015

This is an MMO.

Unfortunately in real life, I get things because I like them, but then I obsess over them.

babies his LG G2, the first smartphone he’s ever had

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

This is an MMO.

I agree with this but human achievement is always relative to what others have or have achieved. There would be no point in say, grind a rare armor set, if everyone else had the exact same armor set. The only reason some people chase for stuff is because it’s rare, and the sentiment is widespread.

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Flash.6912

Flash.6912

My question is: Tournament of Legends is for pvp, why do we get Legendary for a pve? shouldn’t it be for pvp legendary skin instead?

R.I.P Kumu <3

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

My question is: Why reward is some noob PvE legendary? At least give them something special.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

@Elegie.3620, I see where you coming from just don’t agree. I have 2 legendary one I did not buy any part of, earned every mat to make it. The other I bought off tp. Where I feel I actually accomplished something on the one I made. If they gave away 1000 legendary tomorrow it would not in anyway diminish what I feel I accomplished. It was a personal thing. No amount of prizes can take that away. If your goal was to do to all that is required to make yours and that is what you did. How can more take something away that you have already accomplished?

For the one I bought off tp. I feel I earned that one as well. I spent many hours doing research, learning the ins and outs of the tp something that took me well over a month to see a steady income daily. It is through this effort I was able to buy the other one. There are those who spend as many hours and some even more hours on tp, than those who just spend their time whacking away at something. Should those who study the market not receive rewards for their time when that time is equal to or greater than the majority of players?

I am 100% for the prizes to be awarded to those who win this tourney. How can we say those who pve only should have rewards that are off limits to others when they spend as much time in the game. After all, how many ap chest have we got that gave pvp rewards and many to people who have never set foot into pvp? There are many components to this game, not just pve.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: EscataFlayer.8470

EscataFlayer.8470

Do you hear that? Is your speaker on? Do you hear that? It’s Anet crying. Silence.

If someone can do it, and you can’t, the problem is you, not the game.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Because winning it in a tournament is not a mark of skill and effort? I think we have some very different definitions of those words if you think that time spent farming mats and gold for other mats (honestly, i doubt even one person has actually ever managed to farm all the lodestones for the proper Gift), or throwing gear in the Mystic Toilet is more legendary than winning a world-wide tournament.

There would be no point in say, grind a rare armor set, if everyone else had the exact same armor set.

I don’t know about you, but i go for skins that look good, not for bling. They are for me, not for the others.
Which is why i’ll likely never make most of the currently existing legendaries (as i consider them ugly).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

To be fair, half the “effort” and “pain” is to stay awake while grinding.
Unfortunately, I can’t win that battle.

Legendary Weapons are an impressive meld of art and effects. They show off your accomplishments and allow you to change your character’s footprints, projectiles, and much more. They’re designed to stand out and show everyone that you are a true master of Guild Wars 2.

Oh, you!

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: McFribble.2349

McFribble.2349

Regards.

Forcing players into crafting is 1000x worse than actually being skilled enough to earn one as a reward. You act like Anet are handing these things out like candy…

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

so the thread is about another person crying because they suck a playing and have no chances to win said tournament but are still greedy for more bling and don’t want to grant others what they already have themselves, is it not?

“qq, my shiny whatever is now worth an insignificant amount of virtual bubbles less!! game breaking! kill everything everywhere!”

this is nothing but childish rage. at some time in life you will have to get over and deal with it.

(edited by zaced.7948)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

to clear this up: legendaries could NOT be made or bought on day 1.
people came close, but I believe it was the gift of mastery (maybe fortune?) that held them back. it was disabled for several months. I believe they first enabled it around january of the following year? (4 months after release) anyways, I remember guilds banding together to help grind out the requirements so they could be first. good times.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Actually, the first Legendary was crafted on Oct. 3, 2012…and would have been even earlier (late September) if not for a bug with Obsidian Shards. Little more than a month after release.

By the end of December in 2012, they were appearing on the Trading Post.

For me, at least, it would be much more difficult and take much more skill to win a Legendary in a PvP match, than it would ever to farm the materials, or buy them off the Trading Post. I say…good for those talented PvP players. Much respect to them.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

The ONLY THING LEGENDARY about obtaining a legendary is the time and money spent in obtaining one.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

Really? Just this once, when pvpers get a chance of obtaining a legendary via their own talent and team coordination, the masses that got theirs via sheer mindless grind and/or luck go on an outrage? You do realize that it’s only FIVE people per region, the top of the brass, getting ones? It’s an incredibly small marginal of the actual population.

Even if such a small amount of people were to get a legendary, it’s nothing away from you. You’re not going to lose yours, nor will it invalidate the effort. If you feel like it’s such a hand-out, this tornament, why don’t you take part and go grab that prize?

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

(edited by Ritt.3069)

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I don’t think the masses are outraged. I’d say if the masses knew about this they’d think “Good on them if they can win one”.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Ritt.3069

Ritt.3069

I don’t think the masses are outraged. I’d say if the masses knew about this they’d think “Good on them if they can win one”.

Granted, my post was a bit of an exaggeration. Can’t paint ‘em all with the same brush. Still, I’m baffled about the amount of whine and cry on the matter when there’s no real reason for it.

William Van Dine/Aria Entreri/Weaver of the Dream
Thousand Lakes Alliance [TLA], Desolation
4 Champion titles, solo/duoq Legend, best old LB rank 64.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Treize.2081

Treize.2081

The original post seems to invalidate the effort and the hundreds of hours put in by PvPers to hone their skills, to achieve to be the greatest of the greatest. You’d have to go through many intensive battles outside the tournament against worthy opponents to climb the ranks and become a top contender. Every match people bring their very best, the hard training behind this goes unnoticed for the most part. On occasion, an equally skilled player wins a match not by chance but because they’ve got the strongest feeling in the battlefield….That my friend, being able to enjoy battles to its soul and fighting your heart out is the most legendary experience ever.

Manila – lvl 20 Human Warrior (March 6, 2014)

“I’ve been thinking about the Charr. I think they can be domesticated.” ~Vekk

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Granted, my post was a bit of an exaggeration. Can’t paint ‘em all with the same brush. Still, I’m baffled about the amount of whine and cry on the matter when there’s no real reason for it.

Yeah, plenty of that going around at the moment.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

i agree with op on pve part but not on pvp.
the fact is legendary weapons are easy to get now days just farm 20g a day (takes 3 hours a day average) and in 3 months you can craft one legendary (600 in month) that is pretty much common for most of the players in this game.
as matter of fact ive seen farmers making 60g a day through endless champion farming for boxes (add this to the fact that you can buy gem and convert to gold as well with only 10 euro) and they have multiple legendary weapons and funny thing is many of them get bored(because they got best of the best easy) after some time and they do not log on, THE IRONY IS IT IS BACK FIRES AT ANET.
but in case of pvp, you have to win against some best players in the game and that is much more work and effort than brainless champ farming.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Precursors and Legendary should be account bound just like Ascended imo.

Legendary Nothing

Elegie.3620

It seems that the thread has been carried away by people not understanding the original post, and defiled into a venomous “PVE player does not like PVP player thing” or “PVE player cries because XXX”. It’s a bit disappointing to see it happen, mostly because people did not try to read and understand what was written, and simply wanted to express themselves in some subject which they believe would (by chance) pertain to the content of the thread

First, to all PVP players reading, let me be clear about it. I have never said that winning a PVP tournament was easy. I have never said that PVP players doing so would not deserve a reward. Of course they do, and of course winning an international PVP tournament is way harder than crafting a legendary weapon. You need to commit to harsh training with a team, spend many times to master not only your class, but also the opposing classes, and finally beat very skilled players to stand at the top. You certainly deserve the highest reward for doing so.

What I said, exactly, was:

I think that the word “intensity” was uncalled for, and just me being bitter here. I spent several months in making that stupid item (working the day, taking care of the family, and playing the evening here and there), and this is what I meant by intensity. At the time, remember that gold was flowing mess abundantly that now. Getting 8 gold a day was a great day. But of course, people training for PVP content every evening, for many months, would certainly demonstrate the same (or even higher) “intensity” as a PVE player grinding his resources, no argument here.

There were two points I was trying to make:

• Firstly, that PVE and PVP are not of the same nature. Offering PVE rewards to PVP players is the same as “Next time I beat a dungeon solo, I’d like 10,000 glory points”. It’s a mark of contempt for PVP players (No high level reward for your content? Too bad. We’ll give you a reward you do not care about!) and for PVE players (No need to make PVE to get the reward you care about!). Someone judiciously mentioned “the ultimate carrot”. That’s the problem, indeed, and to me, with such high ambitions for PVP, ANet should have put much more efforts in making PVP a better experience (more game flavors, more useful rewards, such as free arena, bots of different levels to train with, unlockable skins…), without resorting to taking things from another type of content.
  • Secondly, that legendary no means nothing. Mind that: it’s the title of the thread, and not one single person expressed an opposite view on that. The fact that ANet would mix contents that has so less in common was a supplementary expression of the fact, which made me sad enough to report it – in the stupid hope that, well, maybe, they’d be made aware that they’re destroying dreams they had originally nurtured (and which I’d naively bought into, as GW2 was my first MMO).

Regards.

Legendary Nothing

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

How exactly? They could be bought from day 1.

This, in no way, makes it right.

Buying a full legendary from the TP in my eyes is tantamount to stealing one. They were supposed to be something of honour and pride to use as your weapon of choice and feel good about doing so, even if you didn’t stand out.

What’s worse is that ANet have vindicated the sale of precursors and legendaries on the TP. Obviously it’s nothing special to earn one anymore.

I look at it this way: if you buy something (anything ‘legendary’-specific) that costs a monumental amount of gold from the TP, it carries no value. You may have earned the gold yourself or bought it from some Chinese gold seller, in which case you deserve it even less. You can say you’ve grinded-out the gold all for a legendary, but can you say you ‘earned it’?

Buying a legendary takes no world completion, no participation in any mode of the game, nothing earned in order to be rewarded it. It’s a giveaway. Anyone can tap in credit card details and buy themselves a legendary, which is what makes that part of it so sad.

Now to anyone interested in making a legendary – can you be honest with yourself and say you earned the right to wield that weapon? Legendary nothing, indeed.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Legendary Nothing

Elegie.3620

Hi guys,

I apologize for bringing my bitterness upon you all. I’ve never complained once before, and I realize that my doing just that simply shows how low I’ve gotten, and is a mark of disrespect to other fellow players, whatever the nature of the complaint.

I’ve just uninstalled the game with no intention to play it again, and wish you all the best for your adventures, both in game and in real life.

Thanks for everything, and kind regards.