Legendary Precursor Changes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

Im fairly new to the game. I started a few weeks ago and im having alot of fun and people are really nice. At this moment i have one level 80 war and i am in the process of leveling a mesmer. i decided to go for a legendary but cant decide between sunrise or bifrost (probably bifrost because its my favorite staff skin but there are other sword skins i like). Now in general the task of getting a legendary is already daunting, and mostly boring (no offense a-net but from what i can see all i can do to get the weapon is farm cof over and over again). But the other day i looked at the precursor weapon price and i was thinking they were going to be maybe 100g at most 200-250g but no i was wrong. 600g+!!! I know the rest of the mats and what not that go into the legendary are much more than 600g but still. So after looking at the ridiculous prices and asking some guildies if there was any other way to get a precursor (they said rng and i immediately fainted) i went online to see if any changes were going to be made. in one thread i found from 8 months ago a dev posted that he understood how unhappy people were about the precursor prices and they were going to do something about that. So its been 8 months and i cannot see any changes in the precursor. IMO they should make it and every thing else in the legendary based on challenges. And clearly it really is a problem and i know they understand that so please can we have changes already.

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I’ve been playing since launch and never had a precursor drop.
I bought the energizer for 30g about 6 months ago and I’m still only halfway through grinding all the required materials. I hate the grind, I really wish the path to legendary actually felt like a legendary experience.

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

It’s called a "Legendary", not "An Expensive Skin."

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: Brutal Arts.6307

Brutal Arts.6307

It’s called a “Legendary”, not “An Expensive Skin.”

And yet, an expensive skin is all it is.

You have gotten what you paid for, all that remains is biweekly gemshop pushing.

Posted by: Genavelle.9516

Genavelle.9516

The whole point of legendaries is that you spend a lot of time doing crap nobody wants to do so you can get a special unique weapon that only people willing to do that much work can get. If you don’t want to go through that process, then don’t worry about making one. They aren’t supposed to be easy to get.

And as for precursor prices, that is entirely about the players. Precursors are rare and hard to get, and of course a big demand for them from anyone who wants to make a legendary. Therefore they are going to be expensive on the trading post. Low supply (super hard to attain) and big demand (people desperately seeking alternate options to the forge). And so, they’re expensive. You don’t have to buy one, you can spend the same amount (or more) gold buying rare/exotic weapons to throw in the forge, if you want. But it’s most likely not going to cost you any less.

Though, if you’re serious about making a legendary..It’s going to take you a while to get all of those tier 6 mats, clovers, etc so what I’d suggest would be as you farm and do whatever you need to for that, save up money. Unless you are really rich in-game through playing the TP or converting gems to gold, making a legendary means you are going to be poor for atleast a few months. Trust me. That’s just how it goes. If you don’t want that, or you want to focus on something else first, then just do that. Legendaries aren’t goin anywhere.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

champ.7021

But thats kind of my point. The legendary isnt about stuff thats fun to do or challenging to do its about things no one wants to do. Im not complaining about the whole process because some things i think are cool. the gift of mastery seems to be pretty fun to get because you have to be involved in a lot of different things to get it. but the other two gifts , fortune and the speclific one just look as if a-net said lets get random t-6 mats and make people get them all because that will be a challenge right one that follows with what this game is meant to be.

But thats beside the point because im talking about the precursor specifically. as you said its up to players which it reallys shouldnt be. When i watch guides from months ago on how to get legendaries they state the price to be 250-350g which is ironically heartbreaking to see. something so vital to the process should not be up to players to decide the price of. Honestly a-net nerfs when people farm the same area over and over again which imo is somewhat justified. And they ban people who use exploits which is def justified. so why do they let people make 600g off of luck? they should definitely overhaul the precursor system.

also just wanted to say thanks to the previous replier because i didnt realize how much gold i would get from just doing all the other challenges in the road to get the legendary. and i will probably have enough by just saving. But of course saving all my gold will really harm the fun i have when trying out new things…

(edited by champ.7021)

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The whole point of legendaries is that you spend a lot of time doing crap nobody wants to do so you can get a special unique weapon that only people willing to do that much work can get. If you don’t want to go through that process, then don’t worry about making one.

That just screams “Epic Content!”, doesn’t it?

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

champ.7021

The whole point of legendaries is that you spend a lot of time doing crap nobody wants to do so you can get a special unique weapon that only people willing to do that much work can get. If you don’t want to go through that process, then don’t worry about making one.

perfect response the only trouble is that you cant win an argument with a grinder because unlike most players they have spent hours and hours just rationalizing the grind to themselves and have a pretty flawed but unarguable argument. its usually “if you dont want to grind dont get a legendary”

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I farmed for 2 months after I hit 80 for 18 hours a day to get my legendary. This is why many people quit the game after obtaining it without help.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

The legendary was intended to take a year to craft, as per said by devs.

Some people get lucky with precursor drops and make a legendary every month, and some will never see one drop after 3000 hours.

RNG plays a huge roll on how well you will succeed, otherwise you can grind some gold.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I’ve made two so far. The Lover put me back 182g and Dusk 570. I’ve played over 2500h and only two days ago did I get a precursor drop from Modnir..Venom, worth a whopping 14g LOL

It is a legendary quest.. You will have a story to tell about the three months of your life you gave away to have a very rare weapon you will be regularly asked about.

Some may feel compelled to minimize your achievement, but you and a majority of the people you come across will appreciate it.

.. And after all that grinding, you will have upped your game to a level where it’s obvious who bought them from RMT’s and who earned them.

Good luck!

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Tbh almost no one actually does it. Most just farm gold and completely bypass “doing what nobody wants”.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Allisa Wonderland.8192

As I was saying…

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

And yet, an expensive skin is all it is.

Title does not dictate behavior.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I started my legendary in November and just finished it last month. The only CoF I ran was to get my tokens for the Gift of Baelfire, otherwise I just played the game

Don’t stress about it, just play and it will come. Also, precursors are much more common out of the Mystic Forge than some would have you believe.

Genavelle.9516

I’ve made two so far. The Lover put me back 182g and Dusk 570. I’ve played over 2500h and only two days ago did I get a precursor drop from Modnir..Venom, worth a whopping 14g LOL

It is a legendary quest.. You will have a story to tell about the three months of your life you gave away to have a very rare weapon you will be regularly asked about.

Some may feel compelled to minimize your achievement, but you and a majority of the people you come across will appreciate it.

.. And after all that grinding, you will have upped your game to a level where it’s obvious who bought them from RMT’s and who earned them.

Good luck!

182 for The Lover? That’s awesome! Saving up for it right now, it was at 600g a while ago but it’s been steadily dropping in price and now it’s down to around 470g. Of course I only have about 60g right now saved up for it..So it start going up again before I can buy it.

Anyways…The whole point of legendaries is that they take a lot of time and effort to get. Not the kind of challenging like, “Figure out the mechanics of this dungeon, learn your class, and become skilled enough to get through the dungeon and kill the boss”..but challenging like “This is going to be long, hard and boring. It’s not going to be fun but if you REALLY are dedicated and persevere, you’ll get there. And in the end, it’ll be rewarding.”

It’s all about what you’re willing to do. And some parts of getting a legendary are easier than others. In my opinion, the Gift of Fortune and Precursor are the 2 hardest pieces. But as I said before, there’s no real rush to get one..If you don’t feel like you want to spend the next several months saving up and farming and trying to get enough money for a precursor, and 250 of every tier 6 mat? Then don’t worry about it. There are plenty of other things to enjoy and when you decide you feel ready to commit to a legendary as a goal, then go for it. And you can always be more casual about it and not go hardcore farm farm farm grind spend money on nothing else…But if you’re more casual and slightly saving up, farming a little bit at a time inbetween doing other things, it’s going to take longer. Which is fine if that’s what you want to do, but you should really just figure out how you want to go about this.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Genavelle.9516

But thats kind of my point. The legendary isnt about stuff thats fun to do or challenging to do its about things no one wants to do. Im not complaining about the whole process because some things i think are cool. the gift of mastery seems to be pretty fun to get because you have to be involved in a lot of different things to get it. but the other two gifts , fortune and the speclific one just look as if a-net said lets get random t-6 mats and make people get them all because that will be a challenge right one that follows with what this game is meant to be.

But thats beside the point because im talking about the precursor specifically. as you said its up to players which it reallys shouldnt be. When i watch guides from months ago on how to get legendaries they state the price to be 250-350g which is ironically heartbreaking to see. something so vital to the process should not be up to players to decide the price of. Honestly a-net nerfs when people farm the same area over and over again which imo is somewhat justified. And they ban people who use exploits which is def justified. so why do they let people make 600g off of luck? they should definitely overhaul the precursor system.

also just wanted to say thanks to the previous replier because i didnt realize how much gold i would get from just doing all the other challenges in the road to get the legendary. and i will probably have enough by just saving. But of course saving all my gold will really harm the fun i have when trying out new things…

Well, the precursors aren’t solely determined by the player market. Only the ones on the trading post. And the trading post reflects the game’s economy, based on the players. So sorry to say, but it is determined by players (and not just the people selling, because if prices were really “too” high, nobody would pay it. When people pay for precursors at steep prices, that sets the price there. It’s supply and demand)

But you DO have the option to try for a drop from a chest or use the forge.

Personally, I’m saving up gold to buy my precursor. It’s my personal decision because I feel like if I’m going to spend a lot of gold either way, I atleast want to choose the way where getting the precursor is guaranteed. I don’t want to buy bows and bows and more bows and keep throwing them in the forge with the hope that The Lover will pop out..I’m sure eventually it would, but I just like the security in straight up paying for something and receiving it. Even if that means I ultimately have to spend more gold to get it. But it’s all about what you want to do, and how you wanna go about it.

Don’t worry so much about having to farm Cof p1 or anything like that..Because legendaries are not an overnight or 1 week or whatever thing. They take a while. So you really have no need to do cof p1 or Orr farming all day. I mean, I’m not finished yet, but the only time I farmed cof p1 for my legendary was when I was getting close to getting the last of my icy runestones and I just wanted to get the last 15 or whatever in one go..So I farmed cof p1 that day to get enough gold to buy all of them, cause I just really wanted to be done with those things. But it’s really not necessary

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

(edited by Genavelle.9516)

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Just playing the game naturally Since launch I have only accumulated around 40-50/250 for each of the T6 trophies. I am still hoping that by the time they hit 250 I will have had a precursor drop. I’m not in any rush, but I’ve got my gift of battle and gift of the explorer ready to go.

Genavelle.9516

Just playing the game naturally Since launch I have only accumulated around 40-50/250 for each of the T6 trophies. I am still hoping that by the time they hit 250 I will have had a precursor drop. I’m not in any rush, but I’ve got my gift of battle and gift of the explorer ready to go.

Omg I know. I’m slowly accumulating all of my tier 6 mats (some faster than others)..which actually it’s really weird, like I have about 180 of one mat and only about 45 of one other. Anyways, I’m getting really close to having all of my ectos, and especially with the ecto price having gone WAY down..I’ve been really tempted to just buy some lately. But I always remind myself that by the time I have enough money to buy my precursor, I will definitely have already finished up my ectos just from salvaging. And I know I’ll have plenty more tier 6s by then too. Although once I get my precursor, anything I still need left I’m planning to just get the money and buy it cause then I will be done and ready to forge!

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

Started my Twilight back in November as well. Finished it in early May. The only “Grind” I did was 20-30 minutes on the TP a day. Nearly all of my time after that was spent with my guild or in WvW.

I didn’t cling to every copper I could either. Since November, I leveled and geared 4 more classes, as well as spent over 100g in respecs. Made sure to enjoy every event, obtaining as many of the limited skins as I could. I threw about 200g into the MF for Dusk, but decided to just save up the 600g instead.

While the entire process may be a horrible grind, it is quite painless if you treat it exactly as it is. A Long Term Goal.

I don’t particularly like the way it is now, but I also cannot think of any other method more suitable for making an item extremely Rare than extreme grind. A lot of people complain about this without offering solutions, which as far as I am concern, it a complaint without any merit. Any skill based challenges would not work for obvious reasons, so what is there besides grind?

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

champ.7021

well actually this has been great. whenever i look up guides theres always a grind involved. i mean i do farm every so often and i get lucky with t6 mats. i guess a long time process isnt that bad. Thanks this has actually been very informative. i guess i was just feeling a bit rushed.

Genavelle.9516

well actually this has been great. whenever i look up guides theres always a grind involved. i mean i do farm every so often and i get lucky with t6 mats. i guess a long time process isnt that bad. Thanks this has actually been very informative. i guess i was just feeling a bit rushed.

Nah don’t worry about rushing with a legendary. I mean I know some people can get them faster than others and want to grind and farm all day every day until they get them..But you don’t have to. Personally, I’ve been slowly, casually working on mine since about February. I mean I definitely could have had it done by now if I had focused more on it and less on other things, but I’m in no rush. And you don’t have to be in a rush either. Take it as fast or slow as you want.

I am a WvW player.
Maguuma Server
Ranger and Necromancer.

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Push to hard and you might end up with a Legendary you’re too burned out to enjoy

For #3, i will save up the gold (and t6 drops) until I can either buy the rest of the material required, or buy the legendary outright – whichever is the better deal. I don’t find this an underhanded way of getting it, since I have the gift of exploration and badges from regular play.. And I think the first two legendaies back my effort.

The funny part about the 182g lover is that I was pressured into buying it, because I didn’t think I’d even bother getting a legendary. Once it was purchased, I equipped it immediately and there was no backing down!

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

OP i got my bifrost about a month ago. I’ve been playing since BWE1 and saved up all my mats since then….more or less, other than crafting a few exotics for my chars. I play a lot too over 3.5k hours so far. But i didn’t really start thinking about a legendary until maybe 6 months into the game after release as i thought i’d never get one or not for a long time anyway.

Then after I had basically done it all, i decided to put some effort into it and start seriously working on my bifrost. I saved my pennies and when i got 4 rare stakitten from events or as drops i threw them into MF on an off chance i may get the legend. But no such a luck so eventually i saved enough and bought one for 630g from the tp. By now i had most of the mats ready except the dust, then like god sent, anet makes it so the dust prices dropped dramatically and boom, i was able to get it.

I would say the hardest part for me was getting Arah tokens. It was hard to get groups and do the runs but even that i eventually got it, so yea, relax, play the game save ur gold DO NOT USE THE MYSTIC FORGE!! I can’t emphasise that enough, i know too many people who have wasted more money in the forge than the cost of the precursor. If you save your gold you’ll eventually have enough to buy one outright. And treat the whole thing as a long-term project as it was intended to be.

Edit: for some reason it treated the word (staff) as a swear word lol.
Just wanted to add, the pride you feel for actually achieving the legendary through sheer hard work, rather than gambling is much more satisfying imo and well worth the effort.

(edited by Tiger Ashante.1792)

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

There’s hints that precursors are dropping in prices, although usually they correct shortly. I managed to snipe mine for 40g cheaper than average.

Secondly, a scavenger hunt is in the works, and last few patches really felt like a stealth beta for scavenger hunt (canach plants, sea of sorrows, lessons to the sky, kites, caches). They’re trying to get this right with other content and then drop in the thing everyone’s waiting for.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Bezayne.6459

Bezayne.6459

I managed to get my precursor when the prices were really low after they appeared in chests as event reward. Snagged The Colossus for 137g that way. If it hadn’t been for that, I still would have no legendary, as the “normal” prices on the TP are and have been always way out of my reach. I refuse to farm cof for money, too boring…

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Im fairly new to the game.

If you are new to the game, don’t worry about legendaries. Expecting them to be easy and cheap isn’t good, either.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

On a side note do you REALLY want a legendary? if so, why? just for it to be shiny and ‘’look at me’’ ? fair doo’s each to there own but personally new skins are coming out all the time and i would hate to have a legendary only to think ‘’awww i cant re-skin this but i want to use that skin’’

Vol.5241

‘’awww i cant re-skin this but i want to use that skin’’

This is true lol. I’d love to have Foefire’s over Sunrise, for example. But I can’t convince myself to spend the money since I already have an expensive skin.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

rare things are expensive. That’s how the economy works. If you really want the rarest thing in the game be prepared to work for it.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Back then when I thought this game was going to be the best ever, I wanted to get a legendary. I wanted to beat every challenging content, explore the massive, exciting world and face all its dangers, finish through its epic story, get the legendary skin and show everyone my dedication to what could have been a legendary game. I wouldn’t even mind grinding every once and then, as long as the game mostly stayed true to the devs’ intention of skill over time, and I was even expecting for grinding itself to be varied, interesting and risky (aka, not grinding at all).

Then the hype train crashed real hard.

Turns out that exploring Tyria was a massive mathematical farming rush, without being exciting, nor dangerous, nor even properly paced and varied to be very immersive. Turns out that the challenging content was almost non-existent, and whatever existed was boring and required grinding for any real reward. Turns out that the story was rushed, cartoon cheesy and not well written. Turns out that the entire end-game revolves around RNG boxes, dps zerg fests, and grinding mindless dailies, mindless events or mindless dungeons. Turns out that the whole experience was not only repetitive, but unrewarding. There’s not even any real value to the titles the acchievements give.

So, yeah. I quickly gave up of the idea of getting a legendary weapon. It has no real value except to those who like having a secondary job in a virtual world.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

‘’awww i cant re-skin this but i want to use that skin’’

This is true lol. I’d love to have Foefire’s over Sunrise, for example. But I can’t convince myself to spend the money since I already have an expensive skin.

I find myself saying the almost exact opposite being one who has his foefires (wishing i had just saved the money and got the sunrise instead and now don’t want to skin over the foefires or transfer it)… though I do like that I see much less of my sword than I do of the legendaries… that’s the biggest deterrent for me actually finishing my legendary at this point is cause everyone and their mom has one now and there’s really nothing unique about them anymore… so time to sit and wait and twiddle my thumbs til they introduce more and I can have a fairly rare skin for a couple months at least.

back on topic to precursor changes, as someone stated earlier they were looking to make it into a scavenger hunt sort of situation but I think they’re slowly throwing more of those things at us to see what works and what doesn’t and how long things take… I have no issue with the scavenger hunt though I can really only hope that the results of the scavenger hunt are account bound or something.. being the base for the most sought after items in the game they shouldn’t be cheap like an average exotic, but there should also be a garunteed way to acquire them with a lot of time and effort. Even if it takes your average player a couple months to do (considering they wanted us to spend 6 mo-year on acquisition of the legendary anyway.. ex: 1000 tokens from each dungeon now reward you a “gift of whatever” combine a specific 4 of those gifts to get another gift… with those 2 unique gifts (like might and magic) from the 1000 dungeon tokens of EACH dungeon, put 2 eldrich scrolls and a stack of mystic coins in the forge for a ticket to take to a trader to get the precursor of your choice)

(edited by Magnus Steelgrave.6580)

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

I don’t particularly like the way it is now, but I also cannot think of any other method more suitable for making an item extremely Rare than extreme grind. A lot of people complain about this without offering solutions, which as far as I am concern, it a complaint without any merit. Any skill based challenges would not work for obvious reasons, so what is there besides grind?

WoW had a few legendaries which came as the result of large quest lines. A good example was the only player-accessible legendary mount in the game, which came from participating in the AQ gate opening event. To open the gates, there was an extremely long chain of quests you had to perform, leading you all around the world and into some of the raid instances.

Now, in that particular case, you had to either be the person opening the gates for the first time or turn in the last quest within 10 hours of the event, but the idea of a long chain of events like that would be perfect for something like a legendary here, rather than just a legendary grind of gold and materials.

Posted by: hoewhoew.4619

hoewhoew.4619

Hey,

I have a mesmer as well and i have both, sunrise and bifrost.
I had the luck to have “the legend”, precursor of bofrost as a drop twice so far.
I have a lot of guildies that got their precursor recently by gambling in the forge … .

Yes it isn’t fun to do, yes it’s very expensive but the trading post is a free market the prices are made by the players itself and as long as others are willing to pay they will keep pretty high.
If getting a legendary, or just the precursor wasn’t hard everyone would have a legendary and the whole point about a legendary, that it is special would be invalid.

So what i suggest is that you either save some money to gamble in the forge (like 50-100G) and if that doesn’t work you can buy your precursor, maybe you are lucky.
You can also wait till the end for the precursor, maybe it drops for you, like it did for me.

Or, like stated above, you can wait the precursor hunt, they are planning to release a precursor hunt in the game where you have to do a lot of stuff to get a precursor.
When and what this will be isn’t clear yet though.

Guardians of the Silver Dragons – Piken Square

Posted by: declan.3968

declan.3968

I actually have enough to buy a Legendary but I would rather spend it on my car. At least those shiny rims are tangible.

Posted by: Forestnator.6298

Forestnator.6298

So, for usual people, it is just an expensive skin. They farm cof all day. For me – I got 2 legendarys so far – it is a legendary. Because I never farmed cof – did cof less then 10 times in my whole 2000 hours of play time. I also got enougth gold to just buy one legendary at the trading post. Maybe you are asking: how the hack you do that without cof?! Uhm, it’s legendary – I got my legendary methods for this. My legendarys got a story behind. Yours? No cof isn’t a story. Aren’t legendarys meant to have a great story?

You got 3 options so far:

1) beeing a simpleton and farming cof until you destroyed this game completly for you
2) don’t get a legendary because u are an usual guy.
3) prove your worthy and do something special for your legendary – without destroying the game for you with brain kitten cof.

(edited by Forestnator.6298)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

What’s legendary about performing repetitive tasks over and over or throwing thousands of items into a magic blender hoping that you’ll get lucky?

That just screams legendary.

Posted by: Joe.8142

Joe.8142

I would like to see Legendaries awarded to, well legendary players. Not just players that can farm more than another player. Maybe you should have to enlist with an NPC somewhere and he gives you challenges, and yes, they should be PROPER challenges. Not just killing X mob Y times. Maybe one of the many challenges should be to solo all dungeon routes (ok some would be impossible so there should be a small amount of tweaking).

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Legendaries are a lot of grindy work, yes, but I fail to see anything truly legendary about them.

You’d think, at a bare minimum, there’d be a bit of a story to each one.

Seems like a really unimaginative time-sink, to me.

Vol.5241

What’s legendary about performing repetitive tasks over and over or throwing thousands of items into a magic blender hoping that you’ll get lucky?

On the same token, what’s fun pressing random buttons on your keyboard and staring at your screen for several hours? Why are you playing a game at all?

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

On the same token, what’s fun pressing random buttons on your keyboard and staring at your screen for several hours? Why are you playing a game at all?

There are many reasons to play a game outside of grinding. Reasons driven by storytelling, world immersion, community/ cooperative gameplay or challenging content. Four precious things that GW2 lacks.

The irony is that Anet wanted GW2 to be the least grindy game out of all MMORPGs, and focus on other RPG or MMORPG qualities. The fact that they have created the exact opposite of what they intended shows how badly they screwed up.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

So are you some how trying to say that the only alternative to the way we have to get a legendary now is nothing? Not playing the game?

Nothing between grind for hundreds, maybe thousands of hours, try your luck at RNG, maybe end up with nothing and outright buying it with gold? Which would require hours of endlessly running the same dungeon path?

Nothing at all? Mmkay. We all now know you can be safely ignored from now on as you don’t seem to have anything worthwhile to say.

Posted by: Thoughtless.7148

Thoughtless.7148

I love how the people who can’t(won’t) get a legendary are not able to get passed what they believe “legendary” to mean. It is nothing more then a rarity designation, get over yourselves.

Like someone said before, the story of your legendary is what you make it to be. grinding cof is a choice, buying gold is a choice, doing it legitimately is a choice.

If you think it takes to long well then you are some special sort of arrogant and think your time is far more then everyone elses. it takes a massive time commitment whether it be 10 hours a day for 3 months or 2 hours a day for 15 months. Don’t think you deserve something that has taken others a large time commitment within the 30 mins you bother to get off complaining on the forums to play the game.

rng is a kitten, but making money is no where near as hard as the complainers make it to be. hitting up the world bosses can make you a good chunk of change a day, as well as probably finish up your dailies.

i have 2 legendaries, 1 precursor dropped and i purchased the other. it wasn’t cheap, or fast but i got into it well aware of that fact. it was a fund ride and i was able to play facets of the game i would normally ignore. i have less then 7 cof runs under my belt and my only gem purchases have been those infuriating rng boxes(yay free kite).

play the game, save your money, and enjoy the ride. legendaries are only a skin and will never grant you some amazing power

Posted by: Slither Shade.4782

Slither Shade.4782

It would be nice if a legendary weapon did something other than sparkle. Maybe have a rare chance of downing a boss in one swing or ten wvw players in one blow.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Grab your credit card and go to the trading post.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

rare things are expensive. That’s how the economy works. If you really want the rarest thing in the game be prepared to work for it.

Someone is selling a Fused Weapon ticket?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It would be nice if a legendary weapon did something other than sparkle. Maybe have a rare chance of downing a boss in one swing or ten wvw players in one blow.

Ahhhhh! PAY TO WIN! PAY TO WIN! LOL

Posted by: Radio Isotope.3045

Radio Isotope.3045

I farmed for 2 months after I hit 80 for 18 hours a day to get my legendary. This is why many people quit the game after obtaining it without help.

Wait, hold it, back up here.

So for 2 whole months you had nothing better to do?

So for 2 whole months activities included but were not limited to:

1. Wake Up

2. Brush Teeth (Optional)

3. Eat Breakfast (Optional)

4. Grind in GW2 for Legendary

5. Eat Lunch (Optional)

6. Grind in GW2 for Legendary

7. Eat Supper (Optional)

8. Grind in GW2 for Legendary

9. Sleep

10. Repeat Steps 1-10 in 6 hours.

• That is a total of 1080 hours on GW2 and 360 hours asleep on average.

So for 2 whole months you had nothing better to do?

(TLE) The Legendary Eternum, Devona’s Rest
Guild Founder

Posted by: denny.8350

denny.8350

Are questioning the math or the apparent lack of… well everything?

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

It took me about 5 months of half hearted dedication to get my Moot. During those 5 months, sometimes, I was so poor I couldn’t even waypoint. I didn’t run much CoF, I just played whatever I wanted to play and bought all my materials. My precursor was gifted to me on my birthday. I had the gold, but they told me to keep it. Plus, it was “only” 50g at the time :P

For my second one (Sunrise) I’ve decided that’s not how I want to do it. I’ve been playing the game the way I enjoy, dungeons, world exploration, maybe some CoF farming twice a month, and I’m about halfway through my stacks of t6, 3/4 done with Gift of Mastery, and working through my Gift of Sunrise.
The precursor is the “hardest” part, imo. Not just because it can be really expensive, but because you will have people around you who get them out of the forge or as drops. I recently had two guildies gamble in the forge with exotics and get the Predator and the Lover on each of their 7th try. It was so hard not to dump all my gold into exotics and try for my Dawn.
Can you get lucky? Yes, yes you can. Will you get lucky? Chances are most likely, nope.
Since you’re somewhat of a new player, I’d say work on the gift of mastery first. Getting 100% map completion should give you a decent amount of materials to sell or use towards your gifts, as well as rewards for finishing each map.

As far as Legendaries being super common, I usually ignore that as a reason not to get it. If you like it enough to spend months working towards it, then do it. If you don’t want it anymore because everyone else has it, then you didn’t really want it in the first place.

I don’t regret spending my gaming time working towards the Moot and I still don’t regret spending it towards getting Sunrise. Legendaries are pretty and I love staring at them, which is what they’re mostly for :P
GL&HF

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate