Legendary Weapon SETS

Legendary Weapon SETS

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

Behold, Legendary weapon SETS.

Legendaries are great, but they do not match. Currently, if you want those best-in-slot skins, you only have one option (until new legendaries arrive) and you end up looking like some mix-match monster.

A legendary set example would to be putting the twilight scheme and particle effect on every weapon type. Did you love Twilight but you don’t use greatswords? There you go. Right now with only one legend per weapon (yes more to come) you don’t really have a unique way of expression. If legendaries were sets, you could make follow a scheme and do your own thing.

I imagine this would be less work in total for development to churn out more legendary options while using content already in the game, ie old legendary particles and 95% of the old recipes. All old Twilight materials + Zap = Twilight 1h sword. All old twilight mats + The Legend = Twilight staff. Etc. Same textures, same particles, same footsteps, same auras..

What about the new precursor collections? Let old pres work on different recipes as shown above and we won’t need new precursors or new collections. What if a player already made and used the one-time, account-bound precursor? They can go buy another one off the TP because we’re only talking about old legends for now (but doing this for the new skins is also an idea).

- Your Herald can’t use greatsword? Dual Twilight swords~!
- Love Bolt but only use Staff on your ele? Bolt staff!
- Too srs for The Dreamer? Incinerator short bow! Or whatever!
- Don’t think Quip/etc would be a good set candidate? Don’t make that one…

Partially rehashed old content that players would want — easier for devs, amazing for players.

I can see it now, a Twilight themed herald with a Ghastly shield. xD

This of course would be in addition to the new forthcoming legendaries.

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I can think of roughly 1.6 MILLION thing’s I’d want the art department working on ahead of more toys for the 1/10th of the one percent.

Probably 2 million things if I gave it a half-hour of light pondering.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

Awesome idea, but wouldn’t it not be legendary because there’s other variants of it? Shouldn’t legendary just be this one and only one specific item rather than a multitude of items sharing similar concepts?

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: DresdenAllblack.1249

DresdenAllblack.1249

What are you talking about? My Rodgort goes perefectly with my Quip….

Umm….

Wait a kitten minute!!!

Angelina is free game again.
Crystal Desert

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

I can think of roughly 1.6 MILLION thing’s I’d want the art department working on ahead of more toys for the 1/10th of the one percent.

Like what?

Legendaries ARE the end game.

Awesome idea, but wouldn’t it not be legendary because there’s other variants of it? Shouldn’t legendary just be this one and only one specific item rather than a multitude of items sharing similar concepts?

Considering there are just under 10 guys AFK at the bank in LA with Twilights, I’m not sure how that argument holds.

Legendary Weapon SETS

Nike.2631

Like what?

Armor skins. Maybe some with an ice theme?

New mob types. Same department.

More craftable weapons skins.

More character appearance options. (hair, tats, faces)

To me legendaries are the g’dam-I-‘m-bored-let’s-sink-a-bajillion-mats-out-of the-game content, not the end game.

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

To me legendaries are the g’dam-I-‘m-bored-let’s-sink-a-bajillion-mats-out-of the-game content, not the end game.

100% with Nike here. People that think that Legendaries are the end-game content in GW2 are the ones that are LEAST satisfied with the game. HOW many people have Twilight?

What is end-game in GW2? Honestly, it just totally depends on what you’re going for:

1) Skins
2) Achievements
3) Story
4) WvW
5) PvP

Personally, my goal is super long-term…and includes but is not limited to the full sets of armor/weapon skins for these two:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hellfire_armor
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fused_weapon_skins

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

100% with Nike here. People that think that Legendaries are the end-game content in GW2 are the ones that are LEAST satisfied with the game. HOW many people have Twilight?

What is end-game in GW2? Honestly, it just totally depends on what you’re going for:

1) Skins
2) Achievements
3) Story
4) WvW
5) PvP

Personally, my goal is super long-term…and includes but is not limited to the full sets of armor/weapon skins for these two:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hellfire_armor
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fused_weapon_skins

Legendaries could be considered the end game but require so much playing of the actual game that neglecting core content just to make more will only hurt the game in the long run.

Having 30-40 options means nothing if you have to slog through the same old content every time.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Legendary Weapon SETS

Posted by: Artanis.4963

Artanis.4963

Behold, Legendary weapon SETS.

Legendaries are great, but they do not match. Currently, if you want those best-in-slot skins, you only have one option (until new legendaries arrive) and you end up looking like some mix-match monster.

A legendary set example would to be putting the twilight scheme and particle effect on every weapon type. Did you love Twilight but you don’t use greatswords? There you go. Right now with only one legend per weapon (yes more to come) you don’t really have a unique way of expression. If legendaries were sets, you could make follow a scheme and do your own thing.

I imagine this would be less work in total for development to churn out more legendary options while using content already in the game, ie old legendary particles and 95% of the old recipes. All old Twilight materials + Zap = Twilight 1h sword. All old twilight mats + The Legend = Twilight staff. Etc. Same textures, same particles, same footsteps, same auras..

What about the new precursor collections? Let old pres work on different recipes as shown above and we won’t need new precursors or new collections. What if a player already made and used the one-time, account-bound precursor? They can go buy another one off the TP because we’re only talking about old legends for now (but doing this for the new skins is also an idea).

- Your Herald can’t use greatsword? Dual Twilight swords~!
- Love Bolt but only use Staff on your ele? Bolt staff!
- Too srs for The Dreamer? Incinerator short bow! Or whatever!
- Don’t think Quip/etc would be a good set candidate? Don’t make that one…

Partially rehashed old content that players would want — easier for devs, amazing for players.

I can see it now, a Twilight themed herald with a Ghastly shield. xD

This of course would be in addition to the new forthcoming legendaries.

I’ve been mulling over the idea of having a legendary weapon’s weapon type be selectable just like its stats are.

Some of the themes the weapons have would be amazing of other types beyond their own original type, but I won’t claim it wouldn’t be a lot of work to actually make 300+ derivative weapon skins.

I think what’s going to happen, though, is they’ll cycle some of the more popular themes through the other weapon types (for example, Astralaria is similar to Twilight/Sunrise/Eternity).

Not that I wouldn’t love to have my Ranger or Thief shooting Incinerator from a bow like they’re Archer from Fate/stay night!

This is the informal fallacy of relative privation, where one minimizes or dismisses an argument by citing that other, more important issues exist.

This thread is not a demand upon the art team to be placed at the top of their work queue, but a mere suggestion for something that Gav thinks would be nice to have. Other tasks needed to improve the game have have no bearing on making a suggestion, nor upon any developer taking a suggestion into consideration.

Legendary Weapon SETS

Nike.2631

This is the informal fallacy of relative privation, where one minimizes or dismisses an argument by citing that other, more important issues exist.

I might agree… if this were not in fact a case of DIRECTLY drawing on the limited resource in question. It is NOT a fallacy that all weapons skins come from the same limited pool of man hours from the singular art department or untrue that those hours are also used by the other activities I mention.

I didn’t say ‘no new legendary skins because I want more bug fixing’. That would have been silly .

And more than anything I’m not trying to tell ANet not to do it… they know better. I’m trying to soften the blow that this request is very unlikely to happen. largely because of the scheduling conflicts it so cheerfully generates.

(edited by Nike.2631)