Legendary Weapons need sigil swapping.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

Right now people like to hype up stat swapping with legendary weapons, but the truth is you are better off making ascended weapons unless you want that fancy skin. You can make a whole array of ascended weapons to fit your different builds and get a specific sigil for each one. Trying to do this with a legendary means you either have to overwrite expensive sigils for some builds or make an ascended weapon to use your skin on so you can keep your nice skin and get the benefits of stat swapping with proper sigils. For players who want to maximize their many builds potential, legendaries fall flat as a means.

Sigil swapping is the best way to make legendary weapons into the best most adaptable weapons, and even make some duplicate legendary weapons useful. Although it will completely trivialize duplicate two hand legendary weapons and make them worthless (not that theh aren’t nearly worthless now). Right now though there is little reason to go legendary over ascended if you want the maximum potential of several builds that have different sigils.

Sigils might not seem so bad, but if you go between builds a lot or use more expensive sigils the cost would start to add up quickly. In the long run those ascended weapons are cheaper if you plan to swap builds a lot even if you already have a legendary.

Posted by: Lady Deedra.3126

Lady Deedra.3126

I really wish we could unlock sigils, then maybe right click them in the hero panel and use one we have unlocked or previously applied to that weapon. +999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Skjold Pjod
I am “That” guy you have all heard about.
1,073 precursors forged and counting.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Plus 1, once again, for the 159th time this topic comes up. (And drifts into oblivion again).
Think I’ll take the time later to list and link all the previous requests for this. This forum badly needs a working search function, until then I recommend a keyworded Firefox link with

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforum-en.guildwars2.com+%s
Enter the keyword, the search term, there you go. ^^

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

All weapons and gear need a method to regain runes/sigils without destroying anything. This should be an in-game, game monetary system not some junk gem item.

The game needs it badly, runes and armor are too expensive now to be forced to salvage any of it. It might have been a good idea initially but it’s bad design is showing itself.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Zui.9245

Zui.9245

Legendary weapons should be what they were always intended to be. A fancy skin, and that’s it.

The stat swapping on legendary weapons should carry over to all ascended gear. Your sigil swapping idea should carry over to all ascended weapons, and all ascended armor should be capable of rune swapping. All ascended gear should also be capable of infusion swapping.

As it is, getting a full set of ascended gear isn’t that much of a grind; it’s within the realm of reasonable grind IMO. Getting a full set of close to optimized ascended gear for dungeons and fractals in a team setting is a colossal grind. Getting a second set of ascended armor with Strength runes for solo and uncoordinated group play is an additional grind, but it’s not as bad as getting a ton of ascended weapons (even if you more or less skimp and just get say force/frailty, force/justice, force/night, and force/undead combos, along with a bit more weapons you normally won’t use for situational purposes).

Then we’ve got WvW, which is going to demand at least one different set of gear, because you’re probably not going to want the same stat combinations you would in PvE, nor are you going to want the same sigil/rune combinations. And we’ve got WvW infusions, too, which can make a noticable difference when taking things like fully upgraded camps with a lowish number of people. And we must consider that hey, perhaps someone might want to run different builds in WvW, and in many cases, this again demands another set of gear…

Let’s not forget people with multiple characters, who want to do lots of different things with those characters, either.

For example, I might really want to play a condition warrior in WvW in addition to what I normally play there. It could be very fun for skirmish-style play. But I’m not going to invest in a set of rabid gear with runes of the krait, and some weapons with doom/earth sigils to do it. Especially not ascended gear, which due to WvW infusions (what does one typically do in small group WvW play? Take camps. NPC damage reduction and damage increase helps.), and a few percent damage reduction over exotic gear, and ~6% damage increase, would really shine here. I’m sure it’d be fun and interesting to play. But is it worth even the time cost of doing it in Exotic gear, much less Ascended gear? Not even close.

One of the appeals of Guild Wars for me, was the ability to run an optimal (as best as I could determine it) setup on any character I wanted with relative ease, allowing for a great deal of fun experimentation playing different builds with the same class, even different classes, and knowing that it was my player actions that dictated success.

Lots of grind to play different builds and classes? Not fun. Extreme tediousness of managing all the items? Not fun. I thought that ANET said grind wasn’t fun, and they didn’t make grindy games. Well, the grind for ascended isn’t too bad, until you factor in how compounded that grind gets for multiple builds and multiple characters, and it’s really unfortunate. As far as I’m concerned, this is mostly a design oversight on their part. An oversight they really should fix.

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

we need build templates to create different build and be able to switch between them in one click

hazenvirus.8154

Legendary weapons should be what they were always intended to be. A fancy skin, and that’s it.

The stat swapping on legendary weapons should carry over to all ascended gear. Your sigil swapping idea should carry over to all ascended weapons, and all ascended armor should be capable of rune swapping. All ascended gear should also be capable of infusion swapping.

As it is, getting a full set of ascended gear isn’t that much of a grind; it’s within the realm of reasonable grind IMO. Getting a full set of close to optimized ascended gear for dungeons and fractals in a team setting is a colossal grind. Getting a second set of ascended armor with Strength runes for solo and uncoordinated group play is an additional grind, but it’s not as bad as getting a ton of ascended weapons (even if you more or less skimp and just get say force/frailty, force/justice, force/night, and force/undead combos, along with a bit more weapons you normally won’t use for situational purposes).

Then we’ve got WvW, which is going to demand at least one different set of gear, because you’re probably not going to want the same stat combinations you would in PvE, nor are you going to want the same sigil/rune combinations. And we’ve got WvW infusions, too, which can make a noticable difference when taking things like fully upgraded camps with a lowish number of people. And we must consider that hey, perhaps someone might want to run different builds in WvW, and in many cases, this again demands another set of gear…

Let’s not forget people with multiple characters, who want to do lots of different things with those characters, either.

For example, I might really want to play a condition warrior in WvW in addition to what I normally play there. It could be very fun for skirmish-style play. But I’m not going to invest in a set of rabid gear with runes of the krait, and some weapons with doom/earth sigils to do it. Especially not ascended gear, which due to WvW infusions (what does one typically do in small group WvW play? Take camps. NPC damage reduction and damage increase helps.), and a few percent damage reduction over exotic gear, and ~6% damage increase, would really shine here. I’m sure it’d be fun and interesting to play. But is it worth even the time cost of doing it in Exotic gear, much less Ascended gear? Not even close.

One of the appeals of Guild Wars for me, was the ability to run an optimal (as best as I could determine it) setup on any character I wanted with relative ease, allowing for a great deal of fun experimentation playing different builds with the same class, even different classes, and knowing that it was my player actions that dictated success.

Lots of grind to play different builds and classes? Not fun. Extreme tediousness of managing all the items? Not fun. I thought that ANET said grind wasn’t fun, and they didn’t make grindy games. Well, the grind for ascended isn’t too bad, until you factor in how compounded that grind gets for multiple builds and multiple characters, and it’s really unfortunate. As far as I’m concerned, this is mostly a design oversight on their part. An oversight they really should fix.

I wouldn’t mind legendaries just being skins, and adding more ways for all a weapons and armor to support different builds and playstyles is a good step forward for more build diversity. A lot of people find the best cookie cutter build they can think of and make one ascended set because it is such a pain to grind. Furthermore the cost of runes and sigils can be extremely expensive. Even if you wanted to play a different build with the same set of gear you could spend hundreds reslotting it with proper runes and sigils

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I’ve been thinking about this, because it comes up all the time, what if each different stat set had it’s own sigil slots.

So if you are on berzerker stats and you but on a sigil of bloodlust then swapped to, say, soldier or rabid stats, the sigil would go away. And of course, return again when you swapped to berzerker stats.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

hazenvirus.8154

I’ve been thinking about this, because it comes up all the time, what if each different stat set had it’s own sigil slots.

So if you are on berzerker stats and you but on a sigil of bloodlust then swapped to, say, soldier or rabid stats, the sigil would go away. And of course, return again when you swapped to berzerker stats.

That would be an excellent solution and make the legendary at least as functional as multiple ascended weapons.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

No. We don’t need another reason for legendary weapons to become more and more common. They’re already becoming pennies in a coin jar at this point, but we dont need more of them because you no longer need to buy sigils.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: SafiMoyo.5130

SafiMoyo.5130

I agree! Legendaries should definitely have sigil swapping once you unlock the sigil.

Secondary to that, I also agree that ascended should have stat swappability too. Even if that means you have to unlock new stats. (Say, berserker chest + knights chest + ???? into mystic forge gives you berserker/knights chest piece).

If ascended had stat-swappability, I’d finally make the upgrade from exotic
But runes will need to be swappable too after they’re unlocked!!

Champion Hunter

hazenvirus.8154

No. We don’t need another reason for legendary weapons to become more and more common. They’re already becoming pennies in a coin jar at this point, but we dont need more of them because you no longer need to buy sigils.

It would only make them equivelent to ascended. Right now they are effectivley worse because it costs more to make a legendary than the several ascended weapons you need for multiple build. Not to mention each ascended weapon gets a good sigil for that build.

(edited by hazenvirus.8154)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

It would only make them equivelent to ascended. Right now they are effectivley worse because it costs more to make a legendary than the several ascended weapons you need for multiple build. Not to mention each ascended weapon gets a good sigil for that build.

At one point Legendaries had the same stats as exotics. Let’s keep that in mind.

hazenvirus.8154

At one point Legendaries had the same stats as exotics. Let’s keep that in mind.

What point are you trying to make?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

legendaries is just skins right?

make another ascended weapon. put in the proper sigil and add the skin to it.

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Let’s also keep in mind that Legendaries “will always be equivalent to the highest tier of stats available” on top of its added QoL stuff like stats swapping.

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

I would pay good money for an unlimited use upgrade extractor. My birthday is coming up so hopefully anet will make one before then

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

hazenvirus.8154

Let’s also keep in mind that Legendaries “will always be equivalent to the highest tier of stats available” on top of its added QoL stuff like stats swapping.

My point is that without this change the stat swapping isn’t very useful.

hazenvirus.8154

legendaries is just skins right?

make another ascended weapon. put in the proper sigil and add the skin to it.

Nope they aren’t just skins they have this thing called stat swapping that looks good on paper, but functions poorly in practice because of sigils.

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

+1 for same way as the PvP Board; once you bought a rune or a sigil, it should stay forever in a list. So you can change on the go and not constantly lose 25g cuz you had to overwrite an expensive sigil for another expensive sigil.

And where are the kitten precursors?!! Prices are insane now!!! Give us the ability to atleast craft them for 500g or so. Make it accountbound even. And let the MF precursors stay sellable on TP.

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

laokoko.7403

That’s the point. If you really want a different stats, craft another ascended weapon and add in the sigil like everyone else.

The stat swapping shouldn’t be there in the first place. You already got what you want for a legendary weapon, which is the skin.

I don’t mind if ascended gear can stats or sigil swap too. But if legendary can do it… It’s like you are crafting legendary to save money.

I dont’ think the stats/sigil swapping is big now. But if they added legendary armor etc. And you can swap a full sets of gear. That is quite big. People’ll actually get it for the convenient and not the skin.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

hazenvirus.8154

That’s the point. If you really want a different stats, craft another ascended weapon and add in the sigil like everyone else.

The stat swapping shouldn’t be there in the first place. You already got what you want for a legendary weapon, which is the skin.

I don’t mind if ascended gear can stats or sigil swap too. But if legendary can do it… It’s like you are crafting legendary to save money.

I dont’ think the stats/sigil swapping is big now. But if they added legendary armor etc. And you can swap a full sets of gear. That is quite big. People’ll actually get it for the convenient and not the skin.

Well anet decided that the value of a legendary is more than a skin. I was told this by customer support. Anet went half way with swapping, now they need to finish the deal with sigils.

laokoko.7403

Well anet decided that the value of a legendary is more than a skin. I was told this by customer support. Anet went half way with swapping, now they need to finish the deal with sigils.

ya whatever. they most likely only added stats swapping because they dont’ want to spend customer support on people who dont’ know how to use transmuatation stone.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

What point are you trying to make?

You said that legendaries were effectively worse than ascended weapons because for the same price you could have multiple ascended weapons with multiple sigils, and it wouldn’t be as expensive. The thing is, legendaries are supposed to just be skins. You could get plenty of exotics for the price of a legendary, yet players still went after it for the skin. It’s always been cheaper to just get a bunch of different weapons than to get a legendary. I’m not sure why you want to change that.

hazenvirus.8154

Except they aren’t skins anymore. Anet has made them into what are supposed to be the best weapons that should never need to be replaced. The problem is you are better off replacing them with ascended…. We can’t go backwards so we might as well go forwards and make them the end all be all weapons they are supposed to be.

Posted by: squallaus.8321

squallaus.8321

If you think legendary weapons are just skins, make one, account bound it, then delete it. Post a youtube video of you doing so on here I dare you.

Some people really doesn’t have brains and like to trivialise other’s efforts.

(edited by squallaus.8321)

Posted by: LostBalloon.6423

LostBalloon.6423

Lets get facts straight.
Yes, legendaries have fancy/shiny skins.

BUT they are not “just skins”. From launch they had been introduced as an item that imrpoved QoL (Quality of life) by making sure that every time a new stats tier came out, legendary wep. would follw. That was set in stone before the open beta.

Transmuting (when that still existed, dunno how it works under new system) makes it lose its “Legendary” status and not follow the status upgrade.

That had made a huge uproar during the introduction of ascended because people had transmuted their legendary to get the stats they wanted. ANET fixed this by adding an additional QoL that included out of combat stats swapping. They even implemented the transmutation splitter that later disappeared from the market.

So no, “Legendary” is not a skin, its the top tier that will always have equivalent stats to the next highest tier of gear.

laokoko.7403

Except they aren’t skins anymore. Anet has made them into what are supposed to be the best weapons that should never need to be replaced. The problem is you are better off replacing them with ascended…. We can’t go backwards so we might as well go forwards and make them the end all be all weapons they are supposed to be.

Yes and Anet says they want the best gear to be easily obtainable and if anyone want pretty skins and willing to farm or grind till infinity that’s their problem.

I don’t know what you mean by you are better of replacing them with ascended. You are suppose to use ascended and just apply the skin to it, Because it is just a skin

laokoko.7403

If you think legendary weapons are just skins, make one, account bound it, then delete it. Post a youtube video of you doing so on here I dare you.

Some people really doesn’t have brains and like to trivialise other’s efforts.

If you are so freaking poor you can’t craft another ascended weapon and apply the skin to it, dont’ get a legendary.

Posted by: squallaus.8321

squallaus.8321

laokoko, so are you going to delete your legendary weapon and keep the skin only or not? If you don’t even have one then you’re in no position to comment.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Legendaries should have more functionality. I’d like skill variants too. Well, I’d like a selectable power and condi based skill per weapon. This, blending of both power and condition damage skills for each set could be done better.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

The rune and sigil system of PvP needs to be brought over to PvE/WvW. Instead of these being “inserted” in to items, they should be inserted into a panel and able to be swapped out without destroying.

I would like to suggest a more drastic change. Once a rune or sigil is obtained it is “unlocked” account wide. Yes this may cause some economy destabilization initially, but much like mat prices were destabilized when Ascended crafted gear was introduced, a necessary temporary economy hiccup. The headaches and extensive grind the current system requires would be lessened a noticeable degree.

Pats self on back for a great idea

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

(edited by GOSU.9574)

hazenvirus.8154

Yes and Anet says they want the best gear to be easily obtainable and if anyone want pretty skins and willing to farm or grind till infinity that’s their problem.

I don’t know what you mean by you are better of replacing them with ascended. You are suppose to use ascended and just apply the skin to it, Because it is just a skin

No you see the weapon lets you select any stat combination. It used to just be a skin when they were exotic. They have made it into something more whether you like it or not. People like to use selectable stats and BiS as a reason why legendaries are so special, but the problem is they are not that special because you can only put one sigil in the legendary. So if any build you might want to change to has a different sigil you have to destroy your old sigil to use an ideal build. If anet is willing to say there is no value in the legendary weapon beyond the skin and that we should all make ascended weapons instead of using our legendary then I guess I’m okay with that. If they believe there is value, and they told me as much then they need to update legendaries so we can swap sigils without destruction or they are worse than making many ascended weapons and many times more expensive.

laokoko.7403

No you see the weapon lets you select any stat combination. It used to just be a skin when they were exotic. They have made it into something more whether you like it or not. People like to use selectable stats and BiS as a reason why legendaries are so special, but the problem is they are not that special because you can only put one sigil in the legendary. So if any build you might want to change to has a different sigil you have to destroy your old sigil to use an ideal build. If anet is willing to say there is no value in the legendary weapon beyond the skin and that we should all make ascended weapons instead of using our legendary then I guess I’m okay with that. If they believe there is value, and they told me as much then they need to update legendaries so we can swap sigils without destruction or they are worse than making many ascended weapons and many times more expensive.

and anet will probably keep ignoring you, weather you like it or not.

hazenvirus.8154

They are good at that, but I’ll keep trying… as long as there is weather I like?

laokoko.7403

They are good at that, but I’ll keep trying… as long as there is weather I like?

Have you tried sending in customer support, asking them to add it because you think legendary is more than just a skin?

quite honestly, I just think they just got tired of answering players question why their legendary weapon have the stats they don’t want.

hazenvirus.8154

Have you tried sending in customer support, asking them to add it because you think legendary is more than just a skin?

quite honestly, I just think they just got tired of answering players question why their legendary weapon have the stats they don’t want.

I think you might need to check on the QoL changes and posts regarding it before you assume they just did it to shut people up. Sigil swapping is the final step that makes Legendary Weapons the end all be all and until they change it they will be second best to ascended for anyone that wants to play several ideal builds with their legendary that require different sigils. I am just looking see if other players agree that the change would be a good idea. If all you have to say is anet won’t do it, then you aren’t really adding anything of value to this topic anymore. We appreciate your opinion, thanks and goodbye.

(edited by hazenvirus.8154)

laokoko.7403

^ so you still dont’ think people would craft an ascended gear and apply legendary skin to it?

Anyway good luck. People have been asking for lots of things, some of them Anet actually implemented, most of the things they didn’t.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

No swapping of exotic sigills. Once they introduce ascended/legendary sigills, those may be swapable…

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

Not just legendary weapons, ascended weapons need sigil swapping too (and rune swapping for ascended armor). An as ascended weapon costs way more than almost any sigil in the game, but if I want a weapon with thew same stats but different sigils I need to craft a second weapon? If we could just unlock multiple sigils for an weapon by applying multiple sigils to a single item that would be perfect,

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

hazenvirus.8154

I’m just suggesting for legendary because I found the biggest issues there. For ascended I don’t mind making multiple because the cost is minimal, but when you make a legendary now, which is made up to be the last weapon you’ll ever need with BiS and stats swapping, it is hardly adequate for that. Going between condition damage and power can become very costly to the point where you might as well skip the stat swapping unless you don’t mind leaving tormenting in for your power mesmer each time you want to swap it from your condi warrior.