Legendary armor = end of gear progression?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

Hi. This topic is a kind of my answer to all cry on forums (ppl always cry, but now they are united :P ).

As we know, legendary weapons will scale to best possible stats. We also know there will be legendary armor some day. What does it mean? It means, no matter how much new tiers they add, when we get legendary armor it will be always the top one.

That’s it. I don’t like to write long posts

Posted by: Helterskelter.8490

Helterskelter.8490

Well, considering legendary weapons actually have the same stat. allocation as exotic weapons…

Legendary Weapon = Exotic Weapon
Therefore, Legendary Armor = Exotic Armor.

Doubt there’s going to be any difference, apart from aesthetics. And as always, hope you play a heavy-armor class, ’cause warriors/guardians are going to get the cream of the crop.

Posted by: Terkov.4138

Terkov.4138

ANet said legendaries will scale to best tier avaieble. In other words: as soon as they add asc weapons, our legendaries will change stats.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

Unless they decide to change current tiers, and make better stats on Legendary armor, leaving Exotics as 3rd best. With the new Ascended gear we just don’t know what’s gonna happen :-(

Maybe it’ll be like
3rd best = Exotics
2nd best = Ascended
best = Legendary

Guesswork from me :-|

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Unless they decide to change current tiers, and make better stats on Legendary armor, leaving Exotics as 3rd best. With the new Ascended gear we just don’t know what’s gonna happen :-(

Maybe it’ll be like
3rd best = Exotics
2nd best = Ascended
best = Legendary

Guesswork from me :-|

As the poster above you already said, Legendaries will always be the highest but also only cosmetic.

So, right now Exotic is the highest stat, so Legendaries are equal to Exotic. Once the Ascended gear comes out, the Legendaries will take the stats of those Ascended. (as the first Ascended gear is only jewelry and back items, and as there are no Legendary jewels or back items, it’s not important right now)

But let’s say you have a Legendary Sword, which now has the same stats as an Exotic, once there is also an Ascended Sword, your Legendary will have the same stat as that Ascended.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

They did say in their blog that legendaries will scale up to be best in slot, so I am guessing that once you have all legendaries you will no longer need to grind for better gear. Which will be very good in my opinion. However, this does pose a couple of questions:

Does this mean that Legendary armour will have infusion slots instead of upgrade slots? And therefore have set stat bonuses like Ascended gear does. If not then Ascended gear will still have that edge over legendaries.
And what happens if you transmute a legendary skin onto an exotic’s stats? From what I have seen most of the legendaries do not have stats to suit my character’s build. I assume that if you can transmute a legendary to have the stats of an exotic, the weapon will be made into a flashy looking exotic, so will therefore not upgrade to be best in slot when content patches are released. So will we get legendaries with a variety of stats to suit all builds?

If legendary gear can be created with stats to suit all builds and stay best in slot in all regards (infusion slots as well as stats), then I will be happy. Even if it takes me an age to get it all, it will be far better than having to get new gear every few months, which I am dead against.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I had thought, or at least arenanet walked that grey fine line, that legendary was just a unique skin, and no stat upgrade. Making it better than exotics goes against this. I’ll feel obligated to obtain legendaries, and in turn obtain legendary armor WHEN it is released.

If they release legendary armor, that is better than acsended and exotic, I am out without even a post on the forums crying why.
After ascended gear I expect not to regear again, and I will NOT regear again.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Loumy.7841

Loumy.7841

In their response to peoples outcry, they say they wanted Ascended gear to be something in between Exotics and Legendaries, but I guess that can be interpreted in more ways.

Quote:
“Our goal is not to create a gear treadmill. Our goal is to ensure we have a proper progression for players from exotic up to legendary without a massive jump in reward between the two. "
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Actually, i’m pretty confident it won’t be the end of gear treadmill. Why becuase Arenanet have introduced a gear treadmill in all but in name.

So ok, let’s say I get a nice lot of Agony protected gear. 6 months down the line we get a new monster condition called say Ouch. This now means I will have to grind an entirely new set of anti-ouch armor just to get through any gear checks. A few months after that, we are told of brand new exciting creatures who now inflict a new monster condition called Wobbly Knee. To do this I need to grind….. you get the picture

For sure the basic stats can be the same level, but the gear grind has moved to the buffs needed to progress in the content.

Ok, let’s say for example there are no more new tiers added. The basic stats stay the same for the next 5 years.

BUT we now have a new stat to add into the equation, it’s called infusion insignia. Now, reading the blog post we are told “Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them.”

We are also told that more content of this nature is being planned. “As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.”

Lipstick on pig

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

(edited by Shanaeri Rynale.6897)

Posted by: Kana.6793

Kana.6793

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/news/A-message-from-our-Studio-Design-Director-Chris-Whiteside/first#post721451

“We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.”

Seriously. Stop the gear treadmill nonsense. There isn’t one.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

So… where’s this legendary armor? And it’ll be as insanely ridiculously tedious to get as legendary weapons? It may be fine for people that plays just with a single character, but many other players have many characters. The more characters you get, the worse things get, as even after you explore then entire world and do every single event and dungeon in the game, you won’t get enough for a single piece, and a character will use lots of weapons and a full set of armor.

Punishing those that get more character slots is never a wise business practice.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Hi. This topic is a kind of my answer to all cry on forums (ppl always cry, but now they are united :P ).

As we know, legendary weapons will scale to best possible stats. We also know there will be legendary armor some day. What does it mean? It means, no matter how much new tiers they add, when we get legendary armor it will be always the top one.

That’s it. I don’t like to write long posts

This is the thing that makes so little sense to me. If Legendary items will always have their stats changed to be the best, then what would be the point of adding anything below them?

Anet claims they are adding new gear for the people who already have a Legendary and no longer have a carrot to chase. But if the Legendary items will automatically become the best, then they still have no carrot to chase. And the people without Legendary items will see them getting further and further away. So I still don’t see how this is supposed to please anyone.

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Actually, i’m pretty confident it won’t be the end of gear treadmill. Why becuase Arenanet have introduced a gear treadmill in all but in name.

So ok, let’s say I get a nice lot of Agony protected gear. 6 months down the line we get a new monster condition called say Ouch. This now means I will have to grind an entirely new set of anti-ouch armor just to get through any gear checks. A few months after that, we are told of brand new exciting creatures who now inflict a new monster condition called Wobbly Knee. To do this I need to grind….. you get the picture

For sure the basic stats can be the same level, but the gear grind has moved to the buffs needed to progress in the content.

Ok, let’s say for example there are no more new tiers added. The basic stats stay the same for the next 5 years.

BUT we now have a new stat to add into the equation, it’s called infusion insignia. Now, reading the blog post we are told “Ascended gear has Infusion slots, and rarer versions of the items also come with additional Agony Resistance built into them.”

We are also told that more content of this nature is being planned. “As we release more new end game content in the future, you’ll see more Infusions and Ascended item types being added to the game.”

Lipstick on pig

Who says you can’t swap and change infusions freely? 6 months down the line, all you need to carry around is a set of infusions for a different dungeon. Infusions could also stack and only take up one slot.

You just don’t have enough information to make baseless jumps in logic.

Posted by: Xaielao.8510

Xaielao.8510

Well, considering legendary weapons actually have the same stat. allocation as exotic weapons…

Legendary Weapon = Exotic Weapon
Therefore, Legendary Armor = Exotic Armor.

Doubt there’s going to be any difference, apart from aesthetics. And as always, hope you play a heavy-armor class, ’cause warriors/guardians are going to get the cream of the crop.

Legendary weapons are being ‘scaled up’ to Ascended gear stats, and the last blogpost very much suggested we’ll see legendary gear besides weapons at some point, though I personally hope they aren’t quite so hard to get, considering getting 12 pieces of armor + jewelry (potentially) would take FOREVER lol.

For me, so long as Ascended/Legendary is the cap, I’m good. Also I’m hoping Agony is only used in the ‘high end’ dungeons and the % of resistance you can build up on gear is rather low. Anything requiring say 150 resistance and each piece of gear gives +10 = a gear treadmill in my book.

In the end I trust Anet. So I have a ‘wait and see’ attitude for now.

Posted by: Sdric.8526

Sdric.8526

Would you believe any statement, that says “no”?

sPvPers against gear-grind.
Ascended Gear-progression disables WvW for us.
Stop it now!

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“ANet said legendaries will scale to best tier avaieble. In other words: as soon as they add asc weapons, our legendaries will change stats.”

What about reskinned equipment that was transmuted?

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

“ANet said legendaries will scale to best tier avaieble. In other words: as soon as they add asc weapons, our legendaries will change stats.”

My guess is you’re kittened. Time to grind that legendary again.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Level 80 legendaries will be obsolete… at 81+.

If they decide that legendaries should auto level up, then legendaries are way too cheap to get when looking at it from the long run.

Posted by: Call Me M.6392

Call Me M.6392

Yeah, legendary will stay top. They just keep adding new tiers with better stats to make the gaps smaller and bump legendary to the max stats every time :p
Omg, someone else also mentioned lvl cap raise O.o Well, grats to the ppl who obtained a lvl80 legendary :p

Posted by: yurtshone.7325

yurtshone.7325

Who knows. With Anet they seem to change with the wind.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

ANet said legendaries will scale to best tier avaieble. In other words: as soon as they add asc weapons, our legendaries will change stats.

This may be the case with a Legendary you’re using normally, with its original stats in place. If you’ve transmuted it with another Exotic for a different stat spread, you’re probably crap out of luck.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

we already have a gear treadmill

whites, blues, greens. yellow, golds.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Posted by: Polluxor.5970

Polluxor.5970

That’s it. I will stay in my greens until I get a legendary!
I don’t want to be part of the treadmill!

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Who says you can’t swap and change infusions freely? 6 months down the line, all you need to carry around is a set of infusions for a different dungeon. Infusions could also stack and only take up one slot.

You just don’t have enough information to make baseless jumps in logic.

It’s not baseless. You cannot remove an upgrade without destroying the base armor and if you over write it and want to go back to Agony land you either have to buy a new one or farm for it.

Now OFC they could change it, but that would mean (based on what they said for GW1) a lot of extra work

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

What I could see, potentially, is that when Legendary armor is introduced it also has an infusion slot on it. One potential here is that with the introduction of additional dungeons they can add additional “infusion requirements”, allowing people to either upgrade their currently owned Ascended set with new infusions or go and gather a whole new set of Ascended armor to specifically infuse for the new content. You’d have a perfect example of a lateral progression as opposed to vertical, which would pinnacle still at Legendary but allow you to spread out in a variety of ways targeting specific areas. So, our first step will be to get ascended “agony” armor. When the next version of this content comes out, we could either get a new set of “omgwtfbbq” ascended armor or sidegrade our “agony” set to “omgwtfbbq” by changing the infusions.

There’s an elegance to this type of progression that sticks true to their word while still giving us continuing armor goals to be reached.

Oh, for legendaries, maybe you simply choose to change the infusions as you go along. After all, I’m sure they’ll be in the “hard to get” range still.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Zapan.7460

Zapan.7460

When did legendary armor get added??? I had thought only Legendary weapons were in game and those had the same stats as Exotics……
1) are legendary armor pieces in game?
2) is there any reason to expect they’d have better stats than exotics armor pieces?
(imho, the people that can’t figure out how to use transmutations stones, seemingly can’t accept Exotics have the same stats as legendary?….from which more confusion cascades from them as they don’t comprehend much? Imaginative discussion with one of them: ‘but, but, why call it legendary if it has same stats?’ ‘It has to do with the Skin of the item.’ ‘what is a skin?’ ‘oh, brother.’ /facepalm)

Meanwhile, I had expected one day, all of the entire world map would be explorable (meaning there’d possibly be 2-3 times the PvE that is in game currently; AKA: expand map view to see the entire Tyria & all of it is not yet explorable.) More PvE would lead to more areas to get specialized items (skins & materials). Perhaps adding more hearts that have Mastercraft Recipes for new weapon skins and armor skins. Potentially thinning the population due to having more optional areas, and or as other games are released they thin out because ‘having options’ takes on a whole different definition. It is possible to enjoy many games concurrently.

I would appreciate any mention of the word Legendary by Anet, to from now on be used as “Legendary Skins” so long as that is the intent of the Legendary items. If it is not, well… /shrug. Yeah, I guess Legendary Skins or Legendary Textures is less of a marketing tool and less appealing by being specific, but it may or may not have lead to the misunderstanding that seems to be going on now. Good luck ironing out the details that may or may not have resulted from less than adequate communication. (understandably, you can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make them drink it.~you can give the definition of Legendary, but it doesn’t mean all players will read it.)

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

When you transmute it is no longer a legendary just a skinned exo.

Posted by: Draymos.5489

Draymos.5489

To correct people, alot got their facts wrong.
Legendary weapons will always raise to meet the highest weapons that ppl can get by other means. Now its exotic but soon legendary weapons will match ascended weapon stats.
So legenary armor would probably do the same thing. Never big the highest but match the highest stats. So you gon’t have to grind for legendary weapons/armor if you dont want to. Its not mandatory, so please don’t make it out to be.

You can always just get ascended armor/weapons when they come out.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

You just necro’d a three month old post.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

They did say in their blog that legendaries will scale up to be best in slot, so I am guessing that once you have all legendaries you will no longer need to grind for better gear.

- They also said that they don’t want players to grind in their game. Look how the game turned out to be. Grind in every possible direction. Grind to laurels, grind to achievements, grind to fractal relics and now they’re super excited to bring another grind to WvW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E#t=1m26s

Posted by: Salacious.7358

Salacious.7358

thats actually not true, the could come out with some other kind of armor that scales to the best stat and adds 10….

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

“We will slowly add the remaining ascended gear items and legendary items in future updates to allow people time to acquire them as we add exciting new content that deserves exciting rewards. We will not be adding a new tier of gear every 3 months that we expect everyone to chase after and then get the next set and so on.”

Seriously. Stop the gear treadmill nonsense. There isn’t one.

Three words: level cap increase.

(and no, while they did promise that legendaries willl be always bumped up to a bis tier- which in itself implies there will be more new tiers than just ascended – they did not promise that they will be upped in level.)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

ANET has demonstrated they intend to use constant “gear progression” to keep you playing. Apparently, “fun” wasn’t good enough. If “fun” wasn’t good enough when the game was 3 months old, you better bet it won’t be good enough ever.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

“I do high level content with white gear because skill > gear.”