Legendary events looks like farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hulkmaster.1724

Hulkmaster.1724

Hello, Arena.net team!

I’ve been playing gw2 from the start and when i took place in participating legendary events (when mostly noone knew how to play the game), those events were really fun! because we were forced to cooperate and play, using our skills and brain, learning game through!

2 years passed ever since, and now, as i’ve returned back, and took some my new friends with me, i wanted to show them those events, so they would experience same excitment, i’ve experienced.

But when we’re came to the legendary event – there was a banch of players (~40-50 players), standing in one place, wating for legendary boss, when he has appeared – they just zerg’ed him in 3-4 minutes, hitting one button :c

There were no excitement – just stand at place and push one button, we shouldn’t even move!

BAD:
1) Event system on legendary bosses is’t stretching enough – it is too easy to zerg Legendary bosses, that, i think, supposed to become a real challenge for open world players
2) Legendary bosses (that i’ve seen) doesn’t attack enough aoe at players, so they would move, not standing at place and hit “1” button
3) There is no need in cooperation

GOOD:
1) Legendary bosses still look like something legendary, even if they don’t feel that way

SUGGESTIONS:
Legendary bosses should force players to move and cooperate
- aoe at players
- scale add’s power (just one-two gold elites isn’t enough)
- put some additional mechanics, like “hit the gong, to make some of the boss parts avaible, and should those parts be different each time” or “push that ground with 10% of participating people, to move the boss”

Hope my post provide enough useful information.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

You should’ve seen Tequatl before he was updated.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Hulkmaster.1724

i hope he was greatly interesting )
But right now i have few friends, new to this game, that see just “another-game-with-farm-spots-called-legendary-events” instead of legendary events i’ve seen, that’s really sad

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

no matter how they change stuff, people will always find weak spots and use those to their advantage.

got to say though i like to do triple trouble when it is organized. unorganized it will fail anyway so it is no use. so even when organized it still uses the weakness of the bosses just in an organized way.

Human nature i guess. do something for years on end and it becomes a second nature, hence the button mashing and standing on "invincable places.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

no matter how they change stuff, people will always find weak spots and use those to their advantage.

got to say though i like to do triple trouble when it is organized. unorganized it will fail anyway so it is no use. so even when organized it still uses the weakness of the bosses just in an organized way.

Human nature i guess. do something for years on end and it becomes a second nature, hence the button mashing and standing on "invincable places.

Actually most of the world bosses are just weak right now due to scaling. In the past, it was possible for Fire Elemental to be a serious threat, so much that 30+ players couldn’t kill it in 10 mins without suffering massive losses.

What makes it so easy now is that we just bring 100 players, not learning all of the little things that we can exploit to kill it. This is partly due to megaservers, but for the most part it is due to poor scaling both on players and on events.

The only events still resistant to this are Claw of Jormag, Tequatl, and Vinewrath. And the only truely bad encounter in this game where it is possible to be 100% invincible and never move around is Shatterer (outside of dungeons, at least).

The best change they could ever make to this game would be to fix all the scaling.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Jay.1085

Jay.1085

well right now the only bosses that require set up are teq, triple trouble and Vine wrath. Yes teq is easy now but remember its still a coordinated event that requires competent people on turrets, defense teams on boats/hills and a zerg team. Triple trouble man thats a hard fight. Even on organize groups it can fail due to mistakes on burn phases. Vine wrath can fail to if people use the zerg mentality such as not defending the sieges or manning the mortars/arrow carts. Most people dont even know they can heal and stealth the sieges in the Vinewrath event.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

But right now i have few friends, new to this game, that see just “another-game-with-farm-spots-called-legendary-events” instead of legendary events i’ve seen, that’s really sad

No, before he was a zerged, easy-to-kill mess that died as quickly as the Fire Elemental. Now he is very decent and has a huge chance of failure. The fight has phases, different mechanics, group splitting, siege weapons, tons of trash mobs, and lasts roughly 15-30 minutes easy. …well, maybe it’s more like 10. Hmm, ..is it that long? I don’t know. But it is a very fun fight now compared to what it was originally.

And Tri-worm and Vine Wrath are both as complex and challenging. Each having high failure rates and requiring tons of cooperation. It’s just the rest of the world bosses are ..generic now?

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

Actually most of the world bosses are just weak right now due to scaling. In the past, it was possible for Fire Elemental to be a serious threat, so much that 30+ players couldn’t kill it in 10 mins without suffering massive losses.

What makes it so easy now is that we just bring 100 players, not learning all of the little things that we can exploit to kill it. This is partly due to megaservers, but for the most part it is due to poor scaling both on players and on events.

The only events still resistant to this are Claw of Jormag, Tequatl, and Vinewrath. And the only truely bad encounter in this game where it is possible to be 100% invincible and never move around is Shatterer (outside of dungeons, at least).

The best change they could ever make to this game would be to fix all the scaling.

Triple trouble*

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

No, before he was a zerged, easy-to-kill mess that died as quickly as the Fire Elemental. Now he is very decent and has a huge chance of failure. The fight has phases, different mechanics, group splitting, siege weapons, tons of trash mobs, and lasts roughly 15-30 minutes easy. …well, maybe it’s more like 10. Hmm, ..is it that long? I don’t know. But it is a very fun fight now compared to what it was originally.

And Tri-worm and Vine Wrath are both as complex and challenging. Each having high failure rates and requiring tons of cooperation. It’s just the rest of the world bosses are ..generic now?

@Hulkmaster this is why I said before. If you think it’s just “zerg the boss” now you should have seen it before. Hence the “before” part.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Hulkmaster.1724

@Hulkmaster this is why I said before. If you think it’s just “zerg the boss” now you should have seen it before. Hence the “before” part.

before what?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

before what?

Before the patch that completely reworked the entire fight from start to finish.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

This is where the glaring design flaw in the game comes to light. They want everyone to be able to play together so they want the bulk of the content to take place in the open world. It’s great on paper, but most of the events go down exactly as the OP states.

How exactly can the design team make content that stays interesting over the course of the game’s lifespan?

Dungeons have done the same thing. You get used to them and they become trivial exercises in fastest clear possible.

I think procedurally generating dungeon maps could be a viable way to keep it interesting. Same goes for open world boss events or having events get harder each time they are successfully completed.

The easiest way to bypass this would be to release content in the same cadence as it was released in GW1. There was a lot of really good permanent content in those 3 games and 1 x-pac.

All content going forward needs to be permanent. So much really good temporary content from season 1 and 2(and holidays) is just gone and it’s a shame.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Namica.2951

Namica.2951

Just be glad you can do them, they’re still unplayable lag fests to me.

Hulkmaster.1724

This is where the glaring design flaw in the game comes to light. They want everyone to be able to play together so they want the bulk of the content to take place in the open world. It’s great on paper, but most of the events go down exactly as the OP states.

How exactly can the design team make content that stays interesting over the course of the game’s lifespan?

Dungeons have done the same thing. You get used to them and they become trivial exercises in fastest clear possible.

I think procedurally generating dungeon maps could be a viable way to keep it interesting. Same goes for open world boss events or having events get harder each time they are successfully completed.

The easiest way to bypass this would be to release content in the same cadence as it was released in GW1. There was a lot of really good permanent content in those 3 games and 1 x-pac.

All content going forward needs to be permanent. So much really good temporary content from season 1 and 2(and holidays) is just gone and it’s a shame.

i think that discussion should be closed with this message )

Hulkmaster.1724

i’ve made some thoughts

Why not just make drop from those events on the event lvl?
ex.: 15 lvl zone legendary event = 15 lvl drop?

thus high lvls won’t come and ruin fun!

i hope Anet aren’t aiming roughly on retention -_-, thus they want people to farm every day -_-

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Keep calm and press one.

Hulkmaster.1724

as i’ve already said at the head of the topic – i don’t want to “press 1”, i want to join EPIC! things with my friends!

Arena net always were saying (before the release), that they want to make game, where everyone will have fun!

i don’t see any fun in farming, or being a part of farm -_-
really
not even a little

Posted by: segman.3560

segman.3560

i’ve made some thoughts

Why not just make drop from those events on the event lvl?
ex.: 15 lvl zone legendary event = 15 lvl drop?

thus high lvls won’t come and ruin fun!

i hope Anet aren’t aiming roughly on retention -_-, thus they want people to farm every day -_-

this is the fastest way to make lower lvl areas abandoned

Hulkmaster.1724

they are already abandoned, but “sometimes” (check any boss timer) giant wave of randoms spown near aaaaaaaand RUIN ALL FUN! whistle

my own, personal opinion – i don’t see any meaning of this, except of players retention, if that is why i can’t have fun with my friends – i’m not impressed, Anet, even a liitle

This game is AWESOME, but sometimes it fills like that spirit, with which it was released – gone

Hulkmaster.1724

i wonder

I was witness of Arena net permanently banning people for abusing, because that meant other people would not have such fun, playing the game (that was about 2.5 year ago, when 2tier karma weapons were selling for 32 karma point, not 32k)

But isn’t world boss farming – abusing the game? Why people, who doesn’t give other players to have fun, aren’t banned?

Not everyone are old players here, and they want to see every aspect of the game.

So i ask – why?

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

But isn’t world boss farming – abusing the game? Why people, who doesn’t give other players to have fun, aren’t banned?

Ummm… you want to say that killing bosses is abusing the game?

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

The shatterer does need an update, there is an entire gun battery sitting there doing nothing as people stand at one of his legs and bash away. They will undoubtedly to a Teq to it at some point but likely not until after HoT. Some cool encounters like everyone else is saying is the following;

- Claw of Jormag
– Tequatl the Sunless
– Triple Headed Jungle Wurm
– Vinewrath

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It’s too bad they don’t happen at some sort of random or procedurally generated time. If players couldn’t easily predict when these events happen we wouldn’t have the ultra-themepark zerg to get in line and spam 1 for chest.

That would drastically change a lot of things about the game, though.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

It’s too bad they don’t happen at some sort of random or procedurally generated time. If players couldn’t easily predict when these events happen we wouldn’t have the ultra-themepark zerg to get in line and spam 1 for chest.

That would drastically change a lot of things about the game, though.

It originally worked like that, and the bosses were dead zones, because no one knew when they’d show up. Back when Ascended first started, dragonite ore was a huge chore to get, because there was no way to tell when the bosses that carried it would spawn.

The reason why we get the megazergs is because the timer only puts up one boss at a time. It’s a terrible idea and shows ANet has yet to learn from zerg behavior. And the schedule spaces out the bosses so that people with limited time can’t even do them.

There needs to be at least two rotations with different bosses at each interval, so the zergs spread out a little and those who have limited time can actually make it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It originally worked like that, and the bosses were dead zones, because no one knew when they’d show up.

I’ve been here since first beta, and that was not my experience. It may be due to being on a very populated server, however. If you were in a zone and the pre-event started, people would share over map chat, and players who were in the zone would come running. You’d also announce over guild chat, and people’s guildies would port in.

I remember some great times whittling away at the Fire Elemental with just a few people (it was also much more difficult than it is now) while waiting for others in the zone to come and help.

At this point, though, we have mega-server. Other than Silverwastes, I have yet to find an empty zone no matter time of day.

Back when Ascended first started, dragonite ore was a huge chore to get, because there was no way to tell when the bosses that carried it would spawn.

Yes, it was a huge chore. But that was because of a dumb decision to make world bosses one of the main ways to get dragonite. Now we have more options.

There needs to be at least two rotations with different bosses at each interval, so the zergs spread out a little and those who have limited time can actually make it.

So bosses appear at the same time? Seems like the easier one would still get the zerg.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

So bosses appear at the same time? Seems like the easier one would still get the zerg.

Then the harder one would get fewer players. That’s a good thing. While the zerg is chipping away at a 6-10 minute “easy” fight, you could finish a “hard” one in about 3-5 minutes. I had a Mk II run go that way. 5-6 people downed the boss in 3 minutes. With a 70-man zerg, it’s 5+ minutes.

In thinking about it, there’s a second way that a double rotation would easy the zerging a bit. The world boss chains mainly hunt for the daily rewards (extra chests), but once that’s done, they find something else to do. If those bosses were made more available, that might help siphon them out faster.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

Remember when Fire Elemental was hard?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Not even. I remember the announcement when this thing got nerfed . Prior to that it would throw fire and place minions outside of its room, and it could one-shot just about anything in range.

The Fire Ele was severely overpowered, but the real difficulty in taking it down was probably the fact that more powerful players were way more interested in running around Cursed Shore, where all the goodies could be found 24/7. With the predictable schedule and increased rewards, it might be time to give Bernie a bit of his power back.

(edited by Sariel V.7024)