Legendary precursor journey is a joke....[Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Frosty.5401

Frosty.5401

What you slackers on forums don’t realise is that the economy is volatile at the moment due to it being a month after HoT release. The effect of this is that precursor crafting is the new trending fad right now and every casual and their mother is on board with it, causing a dip in prices of TP sold precursors and inflation of mats involved in crafting said precursors.

Give it time to reach steady-state and the TP prices will go up for precursors (as a majority of the pre-crafting heard give up and supply goes back up) such that crafting a precursor will eventually become cheaper than straight out buying it (may be marginally cheaper, depends on how the market values the work that goes into said collections).

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Right now precursors have basically 4 methods of acquisition:
-Random drop – Huge time investment (on average, & if deliberately farming), Huge RNG factor, No monetary cost
-Mystic forge – Indeterminate time investment, large monetary investment(on average), large RNG factor
-Trading Post – No time investment, Large monetary investment, No RNG
-The new crafting system – Medium-large time investment, Largest monetary investment, medium-large RNG

Whatever category you’re looking to optimise, crafting is your worst option. Would you rather your precursor aquisition be:
-Slow and arduous, but entirely free
-Quick and painless, but expensive
-Highly intricate, extremely expensive and time consuming, with a healthy dose of random chance sprinkled on for good measure

The Mawdrey backpack is how i think this system should have worked. It has scavenger hunt components, some of which require feats of skill, it has time gated components and requires you to buy components with a specific, non-monetary currency. You CAN spend money in order to fast track the process, should you choose to, but by and large its entirely reasonable to acquire all the required materials yourself, albeit quite time consuming to do so.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Still don’t understand why people are complaining about precursor crafting, obviously it has to be challenging/expensive in order to maintain (or not affect at all) the prices of tp precursors.

u know u can’t sell those precursor right? so … why the hell would it have an impact on the tp price ?

it ’s not like ppl are complaining to get the precursor for 20 gold … but 600-800 gold is d*mn to high ! (400 should be enough)

See how clueless you are.

You CAN sell all the crafted Precursors.
That is probably why the material cost is so high now because everything has to be match with Dusk material price. People will use Dusk as the standard of measuring the material cost because many people would craft Dusk solely for profit. This is a HUGE mistake of Anet’s part to make crafted precursors tradable. If it’s not tradable, the material price wouldn’t be that costly.

If you don’t know anything about precursor crafting, please stop talking.
I already made my Zap from this crafting and I deeply regretted it.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Aomine.5012

What you slackers on forums don’t realise is that the economy is volatile at the moment due to it being a month after HoT release. The effect of this is that precursor crafting is the new trending fad right now and every casual and their mother is on board with it, causing a dip in prices of TP sold precursors and inflation of mats involved in crafting said precursors.

Give it time to reach steady-state and the TP prices will go up for precursors (as a majority of the pre-crafting heard give up and supply goes back up) such that crafting a precursor will eventually become cheaper than straight out buying it (may be marginally cheaper, depends on how the market values the work that goes into said collections).

So how much time would it take? Another year?

Because we’re talking about 30k of raw materials here, which is a HUGE sink, which would most likely not resolved in reasonable period of time.

New legendary weapons will only make the matter worse since they can only be crafted, and I’m pretty sure they WOULD be using lots and lots of t7 raw materials.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I guess you guys haven’t been around before HoT was announced – or never watched the precurser prices – otherwise you would be delighted to be able to craft them.

I just tested it; it really takes 30 mins to farm 60 iron, 40 platinum, 100 mithril. Latter took the longest and I usually get quite a lot when doing other stuff in game and salvaging my loot. 3 months to craft a precurser one wants to have now is a long time, yes, but it would take that long anyway and it still might drop.

Honestly; I think you guys are complaining about nothing.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Most of the crafted precursors are cheaper than on tp, if you craft the timegated ingredients yourself.

Most of the precursors are even undervalued on the tp, if you consider the average amount of rares/exotics that you have to throw into the forge in order to get one.

I dont know what kind of discount you were expecting on top of that.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Aomine.5012

I guess you guys haven’t been around before HoT was announced – or never watched the precurser prices – otherwise you would be delighted to be able to craft them.

I just tested it; it really takes 30 mins to farm 60 iron, 40 platinum, 100 mithril. Latter took the longest and I usually get quite a lot when doing other stuff in game and salvaging my loot. 3 months to craft a precurser one wants to have now is a long time, yes, but it would take that long anyway and it still might drop.

Honestly; I think you guys are complaining about nothing.

Yeah I’ve been around since launch.

The precursor price is 50g back then.

Your point?

Posted by: Nath Forge Tempete.1645

Nath Forge Tempete.1645

well … when they introduced the new precursor craft … they said it won’t be tradable… i didn’t have 800 gold to try selling this crap !

Jana.6831

Your point?

My point: You like to complain a lot and shut your eyes and ears against “the truth” which is: of course things on the TP are out of control right now, the precurser price is set by sellers and buyers, mat prices are set by sellers and buyers and so on.

Aomine.5012

Your point?

My point: You like to complain a lot and shut your eyes and ears against “the truth” which is: of course things on the TP are out of control right now, the precurser price is set by sellers and buyers, mat prices are set by sellers and buyers and so on.

The only truth is Anet create this situation.
The only truth is if you make a price comparison, TP price is cheaper and save you like 20 hours or more of tedious processes.
The only truth is Anet created this inflation because of bad execution and implantation.

Jana.6831

Not really, it’s still the sellers and buyers who change prices, Anet created an average and based the mats needed on that. But you’re still free to gather the materials – the time needed for that hasn’t changed.

The only truth is if you make a price comparison, TP price is cheaper and save you like 20 hours or more of tedious processes.

So there’s two truths as the above already was the “only truth”? Ok then.
Depends on how fast you make gold, if you can make 9 gold in 30mins, then yes, you’ll save time.

The only truth is Anet created this inflation because of bad execution and implantation.

No, the players did – and it was clear that this would happen – we have been warned in advance and I gathered materials for half a year, as did a lot of others, as it was clear that the market would explode once HoT came out.

Aomine.5012

Not really, it’s still the sellers and buyers who change prices, Anet created an average and based the mats needed on that. But you’re still free to gather the materials – the time needed for that hasn’t changed.

So there’s two truths as the above already was the “only truth”? Ok then.
Depends on how fast you make gold, if you can make 9 gold in 30mins, then yes, you’ll save time.

No, the players did – and it was clear that this would happen – we have been warned in advance and I gathered materials for half a year, as did a lot of others, as it was clear that the market would explode once HoT came out.

Players REACT according to Anet’s decision.
Anet is the government who controls the money supply and interest rate here.

The root is Anet’s bad implantation of asking for 100 time-gated material that also cost additional 30k raw materials, which create this huge demand of materials, yet they don’t provide additional supply for the materials.

You know nothing about how market works.

Jana.6831

Oh my – ever heard of free will?

The root is Anet’s bad implantation of asking for 100 time-gated material that also cost additional 30k raw materials, which create this huge demand of materials, yet they don’t provide additional supply for the materials.

30 mins of node farming each day – I wonder if I’ll ever get this into your head.

I’m rich, baby, so I guess I do

Aomine.5012

Oh my – ever heard of free will?

30 mins of node farming each day – I wonder if I’ll ever get this into your head.

I’m rich, baby, so I guess I do

Yeah pretty sure your dad is rich

Otherwise you’d have know marketing better.
You don’t even know how gov’t (Anet) manipulated price/inflation by the name of free-will. Ofc it’s free-will, but it is the incentive that matters.

And yes, I mined around half of my ores myself to save myself from this insane inflation, and it’s the most boring thing on earth to do.

Also some legendaries uses wood, which you can’t just farm rich nodes like ores do, which makes the process 10 times slower.

Anyway, irrational people will never listen to logic reasoning, that’s why they make irrational decisions / justify irrational things. So it’s best to stop talking to people like that.
Have a nice day.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Jana.6831

Yeah pretty sure your dad is rich

Otherwise you’d have know marketing better.
You don’t even know how gov’t (Anet) manipulated price/inflation by the name of free-will. Ofc it’s free-will, but it is the incentive that matters.

With that you’re paranoid – you don’t need a precurser – you can get it with 50 hours of “work” + the journey. I have no idea where you see the conspiratory.

And yes, I mined around half of my ores myself to save myself from this insane inflation, and it’s the most boring thing on earth to do.

I actually like it – guess why I’m rich? But the nice thing in this game is that you can do any stuff you like and still become rich -otherwise the prices for the mats wouldn’t be as high.

Also some legendaries uses wood, which you can’t just farm rich nodes like ores do, which makes the process 10 times slower.

Should I stop the time how long I need for that? I estimate ~45 mins.

Anyway, irrational people will never listen to logic reasoning, that’s why they make irrational decisions / justify irrational things. So it’s best to stop talking to people like that.
Have a nice day.

With that you’re right.

ETA : I used one character to gather 151 elder, 66 hard, 33 seasoned and 80 soft wood logs. Took me 50 mins. Elder wood took about 20 mins and soft wood ~15 mins. If you can visit Malchor’s Leap every half an hour or park some characters there it get’s a bit faster. Soft wood still is a problem though.

But: This conspiracy theory would be true if you needed a legendary and if the resources were limited which they are not – everybody has got the same chances to get the materials in the same time. Some chose to do other stuff and buy it. If the other stuff weren’t lucrative then the mats wouldn’t be as expensive. So yay – everybody can craft their precurser – isn’t that great?

ETA²: Elonian Leather though would be a different story, and I think the recipe for the spool has been changed, right? I’m not sure but I think it was 3 per refined before and is 4 since HoT – in that case I kind of agree that this was short sighted from anet as you can’t just farm nodes to get these materials – there’s a lot more RNG and with that time included in getting them. Unless, of course, you have tons of Karma but even that only helps you with 1 to 2 of the 4 needed ingredients.

(edited by Jana.6831)

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

btw, why don’t play and buy instead gather?
It’s faster and more fun ( tbh, farming is not farm at all, but chosing between gathering running from map to map or doing eventes, think i ll prefer the second one ).

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Most of the crafted precursors are cheaper than on tp, if you craft the timegated ingredients yourself.

Most of the precursors are even undervalued on the tp, if you consider the average amount of rares/exotics that you have to throw into the forge in order to get one.

Reading a few of the comments on the forum I think some people were expecting a miracle. A precursor which is cheap and easy to obtain but still rare and valuable.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

Reading a few of the comments on the forum I think some people were expecting a miracle. A precursor which is cheap and easy to obtain but still rare and valuable.

Easily doable through skill-based challenges that not many players can complete due to their difficulty instead of time- and moneygating. However that would have required ANet do develop new content instead of rehashing old events and using ‘the market’ as an excuse for those exorbitant material requirements.
By the way, I already crafted one precursor and am halfway through the second. It’s good that it’s guaranteed but kitten , the method they chose is just mind boggling.
It’s certainly no ‘legendary’ journey.

Edit: Just wanted to add that timegating itself is not bad. Them making those precursors sellable which means they ‘have to’ be roughly as expensive as those on the TP is the actual problem. You never hear people complain about the fractal legendary even though each step is time gated for at least 2 weeks.
The fact that the precursor hunt is connected to the market instead of requiring a ton of account bound collectibles due to laziness(?) or not enough development time is what gets me :/

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Easily doable through skill-based challenges that not many players can complete due to their difficulty instead of time- and moneygating.

Challenges that are so difficult that only a few players can do them? After reading all the comments how hard HoT, Raids and everything new is I can’t imagine the rage in the forum if anet has introduced the “Legendary precursor journey” as a few challenges only the best and most skilled players can complete.

The only way to avoid tarring and feathering would have been to implement it as an enormous list of challenges every medium skilled player can complete. But that would have meant that it would have taken enormous amounts of time. Which would have come down to a big investment. Because you could have used the time to farm Orr, SW or something else to earn the money to buy the mats. On top of that many would have cried I want to play the way I want to play and not do this many tasks.

In the end gold is the fairest way to ensure something is rare and valuable. You can chose a way to earn the gold and with not much RNG involved you knew the exact amount of gold needed.

Posted by: jeezlaweez.6810

jeezlaweez.6810

The problem was, is, and always will be:
You can still buy precursors and legendaries.

That being said: This is not a Journey, providing that Arenanet entered this business to work, not only to make money, and expect deliver a AAA MMO Game, not an indie, and therefor this company has lots of employees we don’t even see their names appearing.

What a Journey is:

1st step: train your mastery to unlock the merchant that sells a book. This book, when used, opens a chat window, where you read an introduction for that weapon lore. After reading it, your Story Journal is updated, creating an entrance called “Legendary Journey: [name of precursor] Act 1”.

2nd step: play through 14 chapters of this Act 1, all time gated, you can only do one per day. Those chapters act as lore-telling, and as challenges you overcome to understand the weapon you are trying to make. This will be instanced when needed to prevent attrocities like “has to fail Dwayna’s Temple so we can get it back for an item”. It’s a personal journey.

3rd step: Completing this Act 1, you’ll have the recipe for the Precursor Tier 1. From now on, you can either:
- replay the Act 1, for achievements. Each achievement gives crafting components for the precursor [No more time-gated]
- farm the crafting components, if you don’t want to do it again.
- farm gold and buy the components, if you don’t want to craft them/time-gated.

4th step: finishing the Precursor Tier 1, you have to train your mastery (if not trained already) to open the 2nd Book, repeating the process.

The precursor should be acc bound when T3 is finished. It was a personal journey.

There you go: a Journey, with options, that won’t break the market.

Edit: forgot something.

Samuel Hart – lvl 80 Necro and 20 more toons… well. Yeah.

(edited by jeezlaweez.6810)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

The reason why they are expensive and time consuming is because they GUARANTEE you get a precursor. You pay extra (in both time and gold) for this guarantee in order to avoid having to get the precursor using ordinary methods (Mystic forge/drops).

Still don’t understand why people are complaining about precursor crafting, obviously it has to be challenging/expensive in order to maintain (or not affect at all) the prices of tp precursors.

You’re GARUNTEED to get Precursor from TP too if your price is right.
Stop bringing up RNG because when the RNG is shared across the whole economy of palyer-base, there’s no longer RNG involved in it.

And that “right price of TP” is currently way cheaper than most Precursor crafting cost atm.

There is RNG in precursor crafting and anyone with bad luck that doesn’t get the drop they need will, in fact, NOT be guaranteed a precursor. You’re only guaranteed a precursor through crafting IF you can get all the RNG drops, and not everyone is getting these by any means.

Aomine.5012

I can tell some ways to make getting Legendaries hard as kitten, yet not grindy and cheap.

Make one requirement relating to Gold Rank all the mini games.

Use something like Fractal system, which reward players rare UNTRADABLE materials, that can only be obtainable through harder contents.

Ask for a greater variety of materials, not a big sink in one type of material.

Aomine.5012

The reason why they are expensive and time consuming is because they GUARANTEE you get a precursor. You pay extra (in both time and gold) for this guarantee in order to avoid having to get the precursor using ordinary methods (Mystic forge/drops).

Stop bringing up RNG because when the RNG is shared across the whole economy of palyer-base, there’s no longer RNG involved in it.

And that “right price of TP” is currently way cheaper than most Precursor crafting cost atm.

There is RNG in precursor crafting and anyone with bad luck that doesn’t get the drop they need will, in fact, NOT be guaranteed a precursor. You’re only guaranteed a precursor through crafting IF you can get all the RNG drops, and not everyone is getting these by any means.

Read it carefully.

WHEN THE RNG FACTOR IS SHARED ACROSS THE WHOLE ECONOMY PLAYER-BASE (millions of people), the RNG factor becomes next to zero

Ofc there’d be people who dump in 5000g and no precursor. But also there’re people who got precursors in their 2nd try. When you average them out in big quantaty which is the TP itself, there’s no longer RNG in it, especially when the time factor is long (more than 3 years now)

Celtic Lady.3729

Read it carefully.

WHEN THE RNG FACTOR IS SHARED ACROSS THE WHOLE ECONOMY PLAYER-BASE (millions of people), the RNG factor becomes next to zero

Ofc there’d be people who dump in 5000g and no precursor. But also there’re people who got precursors in their 2nd try. When you average them out in big quantaty which is the TP itself, there’s no longer RNG in it, especially when the time factor is long (more than 3 years now)

This doesn’t mean anything to the player that can’t get their precursor via crafting due to RNG elements in the crafting and collection process. That was my point.

Wanze.8410

I can tell some ways to make getting Legendaries hard as kitten, yet not grindy and cheap.

Make one requirement relating to Gold Rank all the mini games.

Use something like Fractal system, which reward players rare UNTRADABLE materials, that can only be obtainable through harder contents.

Ask for a greater variety of materials, not a big sink in one type of material.

I have no problem to give unique rewards for hardcore players or players who are extremely skilled in certain parts of the game.

But i dont think that this should be the legendary weapons. Because they are designed as a longterm goal for casual players.

I think they went into the irght direction with fractals and the legendary backpack and other unique account bound rewards. I think its better to introduce new rewards for content, rather than just putting the old legendaries behind achievements or skill checks that most casuals wont ever complete because they are simply not good enough.

They should always have the possibility to get rewarded over time with a legendary.

But as I said, i have no problem with rewarding unique legendary or ascended gear for completion of certain achievements, like gold ranks in all activities, finishing all wvw or pvp achievements, or for certain AP thresholds.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

You’re so wrong, it’s not even funny. I’ve talked with hundreds of people over the years, and just because you don’t understand something doesn’t make it wrong. I feel this way, my wife feels this way, other people who’ve posted in other threads feel this way. You don’t get it so it’s wrong.

You’re right, it does sound rude. And you’re still wrong. This for many people is their truth. Sorry you don’t get it, but it doesn’t stop it from being true.

Wrong about what exactly? I said more than one thing…

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

For those complaining about the costs of crafting vs buying, are you basing time-gated item costs on how much it would cost for you to make them or how much it would cost you to buy them directly from the TP. One of those ways greatly increases the cost.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

My biggest problem with the precursor collection is so many of the items you collect have no flavor text to them at all. >;( Just got Deidre’s Garden for Nevermore and a few others and all it says is Trophy. How dull! :O

Jar of Wolf Pheromones so far is easily one of the best. Writers slack’n off.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

-The new crafting system – Medium-large time investment, Largest monetary investment, medium-large RNG

Whatever category you’re looking to optimise, crafting is your worst option.

What’s the RNG involved in this method? You do the collections, craft the items, cry over all the gold you’ve lost = guaranteed outcome. Albeit expensive. Almost finished Jugg and FF and have encountered zero rng.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Aomine.5012

Whatever category you’re looking to optimise, crafting is your worst option.

What’s the RNG involved in this method? You do the collections, craft the items, cry over all the gold you’ve lost = guaranteed outcome. Albeit expensive. Almost finished Jugg and FF and have encountered zero rng.

Try “The Legend” which you have to be put into Crystal by Shatterers, when all those noobs doing Shatterers keep on blinding him.

Try “Kudza” which you have to gather countless plants with super low rate of getting required items.

Celtic Lady.3729

What’s the RNG involved in this method?

One example: There are drops from mobs that are needed for collections that are not guaranteed to drop upon killing the mob.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Buying from TP is a GUARANTEE also, with less money and less time involved. Your point is null.

Not really. Someone has to be willing to sell it to you, which means somewhere in the game someone had to get a non-guaranteed super-lucky RNG drop.

It wouldn’t take much bad luck for any given series 1 precursor to become completely unavaliable from the TP.

Additionally, the point of precursor crafting is to allow a path that doesn’t require TP purchases in the first place, but rather one that allows players that wish to do so a reliable way to slowly progress toward it over time.

Before crafting, your options were either to get super lucky and have it drop, or rely on someone else’s super lucky drop and buy it from them. With crafting you have a third option: just save your own mats and build it slowly over time. The RNG in the various components is actually reasonable, and you can virtually guarantee that you’ll get all the required items just by playing the right content, unlike the abysmally low drop chance of those precursors in which you’re more likely to never see a precursor drop for years.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Caleb.7159

Caleb.7159

if you try to buy from tp you might accidentally buy the wrong precursor. better craft it to guarantee you wont, worth the extra gold am i rite

Aomine.5012

if you try to buy from tp you might accidentally buy the wrong precursor. better craft it to guarantee you wont, worth the extra gold am i rite

The funny thing is they assume Buy Order requires tax upon posting the buy order lol.
Basically it’s garunteed to get a buy order from TP since it requires no tax, so you can keep on adjust your price to the right level without any penalties.

I think some ppl in this forum completely misunderstood the word RNG lol..
They thought buying it on TP involves RNG, but they really get the wrong idea of what RNG is about.

Posted by: Dvious.8126

Dvious.8126

With the advent of craftable ascended weapons, legendary weapons are a complete joke. You are paying for a skin at this point and thats all. 100’s and at times 1000’s of gold and headaches for a skin. I’m all for fun appearance items. I’m a self professed appearance kitten myself but I’ll be kitten ed if I will help perpetuate the cost these skins require. Craft your ascended weapons and call it good.

I’d rather be playing the game than writing this post.

PopeUrban.2578

With the advent of craftable ascended weapons, legendary weapons are a complete joke. You are paying for a skin at this point and thats all. 100’s and at times 1000’s of gold and headaches for a skin. I’m all for fun appearance items. I’m a self professed appearance kitten myself but I’ll be kitten ed if I will help perpetuate the cost these skins require. Craft your ascended weapons and call it good.

You were always paying for a skin and stat swapping. Before ascended weapons existed, legendaries had exotic stats. They have never been, and will never be statistically better than their more easily obtainable alernatives. Getting a legendary was never about stats, and it never will be. They’re optional, they don’t enhance mechanical power, and it is for those two reasons that it’s okay that they’re so hard to acquire. making them more powerful than other tiers would simply turn the game in to a vertical gear grind, which is precisely what anet went to all this trouble with the mastry system and elite specs to avoid.

Having a legendary is simply about the looks, and the knowledge that it is the last <insert item type> you will ever need, as they are automatically updated when new stat sets are released. You craft a legendary greatsword, you own every current and future greatsword stat set in the game, at the highest statistical tier. Same for other legendary equipment.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hey All!
With new patch yesterday i finnaly got last 2 pieces for The Predator Achievement and got recipe to craft tier1 exotic experimental rifle….
Then i went int calculating expences for all materials needed to craft it…
U need totall 600 gold to make exotic weapon that is not even precursor yet…
To buy The Hunter precursor on tp u need like 560 gold total…
I am really dissapointed about it….

And probably i will buy precursor not craft some useless exotic rifle…

It’s up to you. The point, however, is that some people don’t want to save up 600 gold and some do. Some people want to go on a journey for their legendary; some just want to build it fast.

The old way: you could just spend on whatever you need. The new way: you have the option of gathering at your own pace. And incidentally, the only reason it’s so expensive right now is that everyone is trying to do the same thing. Those who are taking their time are going to end up spending a lot less.

tl;dr it’s not a joke for those who are more interested in the journey than reaching the final destination

I already did the math.

You can gather like 70% of ores required for Dawn (around 70 worth of Deldrimor Steel Ingot) all by yourself, and SELL THEM ALL ON TP. Then you can get Dawn on TP by “gathering all the materials yourself”, but just 70% of the effort. (In fact, it’s like 20% of effort actually because you still need to do alot of tedious stuffs even after you obtain 100 Deldrimor Steel Ingots.)

Sorry, you haven’t done the math because you don’t know what the prices will be in 3 months. Every time there’s new content, prices spike for collections and crafting associated with new shinies (or new ways to obtain old shinies). And again, some people prefer to collect their own stuff rather than buy off the TP, so price isn’t material (pardon the pun) to their goals.

Again, it’s up to you:

• Get the precursor today, by grinding the gold you need.
  • Collect the precursor today, partly by buying the stuff you need.
  • Wait and see what happens to prices and choose which method ends up being cheap.

Again, it’s not a joke for those for whom the journey is more important. If you care more about the money, then sure, there’s no point to the collection today and perhaps not ever — it was never intended by ANet to be wildly different in price.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Aomine.5012

Hey All!
With new patch yesterday i finnaly got last 2 pieces for The Predator Achievement and got recipe to craft tier1 exotic experimental rifle….
Then i went int calculating expences for all materials needed to craft it…
U need totall 600 gold to make exotic weapon that is not even precursor yet…
To buy The Hunter precursor on tp u need like 560 gold total…
I am really dissapointed about it….

And probably i will buy precursor not craft some useless exotic rifle…

It’s up to you. The point, however, is that some people don’t want to save up 600 gold and some do. Some people want to go on a journey for their legendary; some just want to build it fast.

The old way: you could just spend on whatever you need. The new way: you have the option of gathering at your own pace. And incidentally, the only reason it’s so expensive right now is that everyone is trying to do the same thing. Those who are taking their time are going to end up spending a lot less.

tl;dr it’s not a joke for those who are more interested in the journey than reaching the final destination

I already did the math.

You can gather like 70% of ores required for Dawn (around 70 worth of Deldrimor Steel Ingot) all by yourself, and SELL THEM ALL ON TP. Then you can get Dawn on TP by “gathering all the materials yourself”, but just 70% of the effort. (In fact, it’s like 20% of effort actually because you still need to do alot of tedious stuffs even after you obtain 100 Deldrimor Steel Ingots.)

Sorry, you haven’t done the math because you don’t know what the prices will be in 3 months. Every time there’s new content, prices spike for collections and crafting associated with new shinies (or new ways to obtain old shinies). And again, some people prefer to collect their own stuff rather than buy off the TP, so price isn’t material (pardon the pun) to their goals.

Again, it’s up to you:

• Get the precursor today, by grinding the gold you need.
  • Collect the precursor today, partly by buying the stuff you need.
  • Wait and see what happens to prices and choose which method ends up being cheap.

Again, it’s not a joke for those for whom the journey is more important. If you care more about the money, then sure, there’s no point to the collection today and perhaps not ever — it was never intended by ANet to be wildly different in price.

It’s a joke even if you look it lore-wise.

There’s no journey. There’s tiny stories that’re gated behind like 1000g.

Both economically and lore-wise it’s a joke.

Also go check the price for spirit-wood now.
Now if you want to CRAFT anything that use spirit-wood, you’re gonna pay 1000~1400g for it.

The situation would only get worse because they’d be releasing more new legendaries that compete with the same t7 materials, which Anet out-right lied about not using the old currency for new legendaries.

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

Yup just read that even the new legendaries cost almost the same or even more than the old ones…

Looks like fun is gated behind gold…

Before anyone else popping out and say legendary aren’t suppose to be cheap:

1. The precursor is account bound.
2. Crafting the legendary still need the new gifts which still need gold/time
3. Legendary != Expensive
Legendary == Achievement

However currently, when one mentioned legendary, people will go " wow, so rich"

Look at Liadri the concealing dark, that I consider an achievement (it took me countless tries to defeat her) and legendary crafting can consist of such achievements but nope, it comes with a pricey tag.

Imagine an epic journey where a hero/heroine is off seeking to craft his or her legendary but first, let them prepare their gold first… err okay… I would then imagine epic fights for the loots, or for the rare loots but nope, you need to carry a harvest axe and chop trees for days for the planks ~_~

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

PopeUrban.2578

Yup just read that even the new legendaries cost almost the same or even more than the old ones…

Looks like fun is gated behind gold…

Before anyone else popping out and say legendary aren’t suppose to be cheap:

1. The precursor is account bound.
2. Crafting the legendary still need the new gifts which still need gold/time
3. Legendary != Expensive
Legendary == Achievement

However currently, when one mentioned legendary, people will go " wow, so rich"

Look at Liadri the concealing dark, that I consider an achievement (it took me countless tries to defeat her) and legendary crafting can consist of such achievements but nope, it comes with a pricey tag.

Imagine an epic journey where a hero/heroine is off seeking to craft his or her legendary but first, let them prepare their gold first… err okay… I would then imagine epic fights for the loots, or for the rare loots but nope, you need to carry a harvest axe and chop trees for days for the planks ~_~

The reason why they make the ‘challenge’ of legendaries rooted in riches rather than content is that they have a lot of pressure from their user base to ensure that legendaries are accessible to the whole community.

We see them breaking with this model for armor and backpacks, at least to start the collection, so it may be possible that in the future we’ll see more diverse legendary acquisition methods. Right now we have series 1 legendaries, which can be literally bought off the auction house, Series 2 legendaries which must be crafted, a backpack which requires fractals, and armor which requires raids.

We may see a future where series 3 weapons come from a raid, and series 2 armor and backpacks which are more crafting centric.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The situation would only get worse because they’d be releasing more new legendaries that compete with the same t7 materials, which Anet out-right lied about not using the old currency for new legendaries.

Source?

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

The reason why they make the ‘challenge’ of legendaries rooted in riches rather than content is that they have a lot of pressure from their user base to ensure that legendaries are accessible to the whole community.

We see them breaking with this model for armor and backpacks, at least to start the collection, so it may be possible that in the future we’ll see more diverse legendary acquisition methods. Right now we have series 1 legendaries, which can be literally bought off the auction house, Series 2 legendaries which must be crafted, a backpack which requires fractals, and armor which requires raids.

We may see a future where series 3 weapons come from a raid, and series 2 armor and backpacks which are more crafting centric.

This is sad to hear because they should have made it accessible for those worthy to hold the legendary because they are skilful, good at their profession rather than being rich.

2nd gen legendary could have been their chance at changing the whole legendary is expensive stigma but it was a missed opportunity.

As for back piece and armour, I can see that they want people to play other game modes and it is… not unreasonable(for myself at least, I can adapt) but definitely a half step forward from the gold sink? (Not sure if it involves a ton of gold)

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

Posted by: OtakuModeEngage.8679

OtakuModeEngage.8679

Here’s the problem:

• Let’s say a precursor cost 600g to buy of tp, we can factor that as: 600g=precursor
  • now let’s say a precursor via the legendary journey cost 600g for all the crafting materials AND 20+ hours of hard work completing the three collections AND the masteries required to unlock them +5g, 10 spirit shards, and 30,000 karma required to buy the 3 collections, which equals the same precursor.

Thus we have the equation:
600g=600g+hours of hard work completing collection+hours of grinding to complete mastery+5g, 10shard, and 30,000 karma to unlock three collections required

That is not equal or fair at all, and as such it’s not only pointless, but stupid to do the legendary journey when you can get the same item for less gold, time, and effort.
Sure the journey is ‘garenteed’ when compared to ring mystic forge, or ring map drop; but buying off tp is just as ‘guarenteed’, so it makes zero sense to go through all this extra work and effort when you could just buy it outright cheaper.

Now im not saying they should make aquisition cheap or fast or easy, but if you look at the facts, this is just bull-kitten, only an idiot would wast time and effort on the journey when he could get it on the tp for less and save the hassel. The price needs to drop, period.

Maybe not by a lot, but precursor achieved via legendary journey should NEVER be same price as one bought off tp, not to mention more expensive… but it is. That’s a problem.

(edited by OtakuModeEngage.8679)

Aomine.5012

Here’s the problem:

• Let’s say a precursor cost 600g to buy of tp, we can factor that as: 600g=precursor
  • now let’s say a precursor via the legendary journey cost 600g for all the crafting materials AND 20+ hours of hard work completing the three collections AND the masteries required to unlock them +5g, 10 spirit shards, and 30,000 karma required to buy the 3 collections, which equals the same precursor.

Thus we have the equation:
600g=600g+hours of hard work completing collection+hours of grinding to complete mastery+5g, 10shard, and 30,000 karma to unlock three collections required

That is not equal or fair at all, and as such it’s not only pointless, but stupid to do the legendary journey when you can get the same item for less gold, time, and effort.
Sure the journey is ‘garenteed’ when compared to ring mystic forge, or ring map drop; but buying off tp is just as ‘guarenteed’, so it makes zero sense to go through all this extra work and effort when you could just buy it outright cheaper.

Now im not saying they should make aquisition cheap or fast or easy, but if you look at the facts, this is just bull-kitten, only an idiot would wast time and effort on the journey when he could get it on the tp for less and save the hassel. The price needs to drop, period.

Maybe not by a lot, but precursor achieved via legendary journey should NEVER be same price as one bought off tp, not to mention more expensive… but it is. That’s a problem.

Update for you, since Spirit wood cost 15g now due to Nevermore, now anything that uses Spirit Wood cost over 1000g for precursor crafting.

Thanks for Anet reusing old materials in new legendaries to compete with old legendaries. Lots of irrational decision here and there Anet.

Wanze.8410

Update for you, since Spirit wood cost 15g now due to Nevermore, now anything that uses Spirit Wood cost over 1000g for precursor crafting.

Thanks for Anet reusing old materials in new legendaries to compete with old legendaries. Lots of irrational decision here and there Anet.

Update for you:

Prototype, new pistol precursor, needs spirit wood, costs only 500g in mats, not 1000g.
Only 370g, if you get everything on buy order and craft the timegated mats yourself, which takes 25 days.

Hyperbole much?

Attachments:

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

So with following knowledge:

- new legendarys which are staff, axe and pistol
- precursor crafting for existing legendarys
- no new slots for asceneded materials in the bank

You were unable to deduce or anticipate that Spirit Wood might spike in price once the collections open? Yeah, to bad. Market changes were communicated.

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

Spirit wood plank for 16,5 gold yesterday. I had 32 + 10 elonian leather prepared for the collection. Sold Everything. Earned enough gold to buy Legend off the TP.
So much for legendary collections…..what a joke to bind precursor hunt behind tradeable goods. The only thing I am sorry about is that 5 gold I put into it and millions of EXP that could have went into Pact Commander or Fractals mastery.

Posted by: jeezlaweez.6810

jeezlaweez.6810

All this economics blablabla hides something that should be adressed: There’s no Journey at all, just an item collection. How hard can be to create a Legendary Quest that allow you to craft an account-bound precursor at the end?

Samuel Hart – lvl 80 Necro and 20 more toons… well. Yeah.

Posted by: World War III.3869

World War III.3869

TP is less right now because hoarders are selling thier stockpiles

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

TP is less right now because hoarders are selling thier stockpiles

I am assuming you mean stockpiles of legendaries/precursors because when the mats to craft a precursor dry up those mats will go up even higher making crafting even more expensive. If you are talking about legendaries/precursors, do you really think there are people with stockpiles of those in the bank? I can imagine a few people on the server doing that but not enough to call it stockpiles.