Legendary precursor journey is a joke....[Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Legendary precursor journey is extremely poorly thought out.

ANET’s thought process started with “how to keep people stuck/hooked onto something so that they log on everyday” instead of “how to give people an experience of making a weapon that will have legends associated with it”.

I made two of the first stage items that resulted in exotic items. But, to make them I used ascended mats and another slap on the face is that I had to use an exorbitent quantity of those mats to create something I will never use. How stupid is that? The dev who put together the process and the team that QA’d it are totally incompetent or just got into the job because of Peter principle.

First, Anyone who is shelling out 10, 15 or 25 ascended mats like spiritwood or damask or elonian leather to craft an item probably does not need an exotic grade of the product. Isn’t that common sense? Second, what’s the purpose of this product or the tier other than time-gating? ANET’s game design is now revolving around time gating (daily crafting, account bound craft materials) and keeping people online (map meta rewards tied to how long are you on).

It seems more like a Korean grinder than an American made intelligent product. To make things even more laughable is that Guild Wars 2 does not follow Korean MMO’s revenue generation model of pay by hour. What benefit does ANET gain from keeping people logged onto a map for 1 or 2 hours at a stretch? All these issues combined with ill-designed legendary crafting process really tells a sordid tale even when the new maps are really well designed from artistic perspective.

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Legendary precursor journey is extremely poorly thought out.

ANET’s thought process started with “how to keep people stuck/hooked onto something so that they log on everyday” instead of “how to give people an experience of making a weapon that will have legends associated with it”.

I made two of the first stage items that resulted in exotic items. But, to make them I used ascended mats and another slap on the face is that I had to use an exorbitent quantity of those mats to create something I will never use. How stupid is that? The dev who put together the process and the team that QA’d it are totally incompetent or just got into the job because of Peter principle.

First, Anyone who is shelling out 10, 15 or 25 ascended mats like spiritwood or damask or elonian leather to craft an item probably does not need an exotic grade of the product. Isn’t that common sense? Second, what’s the purpose of this product or the tier other than time-gating? ANET’s game design is now revolving around time gating (daily crafting, account bound craft materials) and keeping people online (map meta rewards tied to how long are you on).

It seems more like a Korean grinder than an American made intelligent product. To make things even more laughable is that Guild Wars 2 does not follow Korean MMO’s revenue generation model of pay by hour. What benefit does ANET gain from keeping people logged onto a map for 1 or 2 hours at a stretch? All these issues combined with ill-designed legendary crafting process really tells a sordid tale even when the new maps are really well designed from artistic perspective.

The final precursor for the new legendaries is ascended though.
And you can even choose your stats once.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Update for you, since Spirit wood cost 15g now due to Nevermore, now anything that uses Spirit Wood cost over 1000g for precursor crafting.

Thanks for Anet reusing old materials in new legendaries to compete with old legendaries. Lots of irrational decision here and there Anet.

Update for you:

Prototype, new pistol precursor, needs spirit wood, costs only 500g in mats, not 1000g.
Only 370g, if you get everything on buy order and craft the timegated mats yourself, which takes 25 days.

Hyperbole much?

Doesn’t the bltc calculation ignore the cost of the things that go in to getting the expertise in pistol crafting piece?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

In the end the thought process seems obvious to me. The reason for the expense is less about current trends on TP, but more about the future of Legendaries. They want future legendary weapons to have both time investment and gold cost. Those future ones (like Nevermore) cannot be traded and don’t drop from anything so the cost is something baked into the collection. In the end, they wanted/needed the old legendary collections to use the same formula as the new ones so it made sense.

I’m sure you’ve realized that all the collections follow the same basic roadmap. This roadmap needed to be consistent between old and new legendaries, so what we got makes perfect sense. They did an ok job matching the price fairly well with the TP, but honestly I think that was purely a secondary concern.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Suinz.5968

Suinz.5968

In the end the thought process seems obvious to me. The reason for the expense is less about current trends on TP, but more about the future of Legendaries. They want future legendary weapons to have both time investment and gold cost. Those future ones (like Nevermore) cannot be traded and don’t drop from anything so the cost is something baked into the collection. In the end, they wanted/needed the old legendary collections to use the same formula as the new ones so it made sense.

I’m sure you’ve realized that all the collections follow the same basic roadmap. This roadmap needed to be consistent between old and new legendaries, so what we got makes perfect sense. They did an ok job matching the price fairly well with the TP, but honestly I think that was purely a secondary concern.

What is the point of making the new PRECURSOR collections cost THOUSANDS of gold to craft when they aren’t tradeable and are EXOTICS!?

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

What is the point of making the new PRECURSOR collections cost THOUSANDS of gold to craft when they aren’t tradeable and are EXOTICS!?

I can give multiple reasons:
1) It takes money out of the economy for a luxary item.
2) It makes the item more exclusive and thus more desirable by much of the player base.
3) It prevents the item from being “devalued” by simply being a item made so that it can be sold and made money on (which is something the community has begged for over the last 3 years).
4) In the end it is the Legendary that is being sought after, the “exotic” level means very little at that point because almost nobody would make it and then stop without making the legendary since you can’t sell the precursor.
5) Even if somebody didn’t go all the way to Legendary at that point, it is still just about the skin, not stats since that person would easily have enough money to have aquired at least Ascended weapons by then.

In the end, it is either worth it to you or not in order to get the rare Legendary skin. If you only care about trading it then it isn’t worth it, or if you are only interested in the stats, it isn’t worth it either. This is all talking about the reasons for the new system for new Legendaries of course. The reason why the old ones are like that I’ve already answered in my previous post. Simply put, the old ones had to follow the same format, the only difference is that you can sometimes go the cheaper route by buying them from the TP (however that may change as the market changes slowly to adapt to new collection system).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Ephemiel.5694

Ephemiel.5694

I can give multiple reasons:
1) It takes money out of the economy for a luxary item.
2) It makes the item more exclusive and thus more desirable by much of the player base.
3) It prevents the item from being “devalued” by simply being a item made so that it can be sold and made money on (which is something the community has begged for over the last 3 years).
4) In the end it is the Legendary that is being sought after, the “exotic” level means very little at that point because almost nobody would make it and then stop without making the legendary since you can’t sell the precursor.
5) Even if somebody didn’t go all the way to Legendary at that point, it is still just about the skin, not stats since that person would easily have enough money to have aquired at least Ascended weapons by then.

In the end, it is either worth it to you or not in order to get the rare Legendary skin. If you only care about trading it then it isn’t worth it, or if you are only interested in the stats, it isn’t worth it either. This is all talking about the reasons for the new system for new Legendaries of course. The reason why the old ones are like that I’ve already answered in my previous post. Simply put, the old ones had to follow the same format, the only difference is that you can sometimes go the cheaper route by buying them from the TP (however that may change as the market changes slowly to adapt to new collection system).

No offence, but you should apply your forum signature to yourself since you don’t seem to understand why people are so up in arms about this.

“Would you kindly?”

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

New ones only need to be consistent with other new ones.

There’s no reasonable explanation as to why Anet want new legendaries to compete with the old ones despite they’re untradable.