Legendary vs Ascended

Legendary vs Ascended

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sweal.4659

Sweal.4659

Hi,

I find very disturbing that Ascended and Legendary weapons have same stats. When i make sword that costs over 3000 golds and takes a lot of my time to make and then i see sword thats worth around 50g and week of playing with exactly same result… I don’t have legendary myself but i think it’s quite unfair. Legendary should’nt have same value as Ascended beause its LEGENDARY.

Thanks.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: BloodyNine.7504

BloodyNine.7504

Hi,

I find very disturbing that Ascended and Legendary weapons have same stats. When i make sword that costs over 3000 golds and takes a lot of my time to make and then i see sword thats worth around 50g and week of playing with exactly same result… I don’t have legendary myself but i think it’s quite unfair. Legendary should’nt have same value as Ascended beause its LEGENDARY.

Thanks.

I don’t have one. But can’t you change the stats on a legendary at will? That is a pretty huge bonus.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You get the weapons for the skins and/or the ability to swap stats.

Legendary vs Ascended

Sweal.4659

You can change stats on Asc weapon too with some things that cost like 10g top in Mystic Forge. On top of that you will use 90% of the time your primary stats.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I completely disagree with OP. Legendary is for the skin and the ability to swap stats at will. Money shouldn’t buy you better stats, but simply convenience. I have a legendary myself and am very happy with the skin, footfall, and ability to change the stats whenever I want to so the cost is worth it to me.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Hi,

Thanks.

You are completely right if you trash most of what Gw2 stand for.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Legendary vs Ascended

Sweal.4659

Hi,

Thanks.

Then why not make all legendaries acc bound. You would recognize people who truly did something to have that legendary.

Legendary vs Ascended

Ayrilana.1396

You can change stats on Asc weapon too with some things that cost like 10g top in Mystic Forge. On top of that you will use 90% of the time your primary stats.

Changing stats was a new thing added. Refer to the other thing that I mentioned which is skins.

Legendary vs Ascended

Sweal.4659

Changing stats was a new thing added. Refer to the other thing that I mentioned which is skins.

3000g for skin is pretty expensive O.o

Legendary vs Ascended

Ayrilana.1396

None of the legendary weapons cost that much if you craft them. The older ones rarely go above 2000G. In some cases, they go much cheaper if you craft the precursor. The HoT legendary weapons are around 2300G. That said, people have felt the cost to be worth it as many people have legendary weapons and plan to make even more.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

What Anet should have done already ages ago to make the game again more alternative character friendly and as somrthign to improve the overall quality of life of this game is to change ascended weapons to work technicaslly exactly like legendary weapons.

Ascended weapons shoudl also have the ability to allow you to exchange out Stats on the fly, just with the difference, that each stat combination for an ascended weapon needs to get unlocked first for your account to become able to select it out, while a legendary weapon should always come together with all stat sets being unlocked for your account when wieldign the weapon.

This way would become ascended equipment alot more useful, because it shares already the same stats as liek legendars equipment. It needs to share finally also the same attribute exchange mechanic, but just in a weaker version where you as player need to put more effort into it to become able to use all attribute combinations that you want, while working on a legendary rewards you with having instant access to ALL attribute combinations directly and the looks and visual effects..

thats wehat makes a legendary special, but to lock off the attribute changing behind legendaries is something, that should have never happened in my opinion in the first place.
its not good for this game to lock that feature away behind legendary equipment.
For the overall comfort and fun of GW2 it would be much bette, if we receive the attribute exchange comfort alreasy through ascended equipment, if a player just puts the effort into it to unlock for his7herself then the various attribute combis that you want to have by buying the attribute recypers and using them onto your ascended weapon to unlock this way for them the attribute settign options one by one…

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Legendary vs Ascended

Sweal.4659

None of the legendary weapons cost that much if you craft them. The older ones rarely go above 2000G. In some cases, they go much cheaper if you craft the precursor. The HoT legendary weapons are around 2300G. That said, people have felt the cost to be worth it as many people have legendary weapons and plan to make even more.

I’m just feeling that Legendary should stand for the top rank in the game. The best items you can ever get and it has to worth a fortune and a lot of work. Here it’s just skin… When you say legendary it should MEAN something.

(edited by Sweal.4659)

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Then the answer is simple, don’t go for a Legendary. The fact of the matter they have always been forthcoming and transparent that this game is not about stats. The average player should be able to max their stats pretty easily. If you want the cosmetics of a legendary item then you go for it. If you don’t think the cost is worth it or don’t have time/money to invest then you can still play at the same level as anybody else with limited investment.

The only mistake I think they made on this is making the legendary weapons and the precursers to make them tradeable. This, however is a mistake they recognize and have rectified for the new generation of legendaries.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

Yes…but to some the particles and footfalls are well worth the investment. It gives some of the higher level full-ascended crowd something to accomplish in game that not only takes a long time but some effort beyond killing Teq and getting a surprise ascended box.

I for one always feel boring when on a profession that can’t use my Legendary and find myself missing being on my Thief because of those stupid rainbow hoofprints from Dreamer. Could I have like 3k gold right now? Sure…but you can bet I think my silly pink unicorns and hoofprints are worth every single copper I invested into the thing.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

Nope. The game is about how well you play, not how often.

Legendary weapons are just for people who want to think they look cool.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

I’m just feeling that Legendary should stand for the top rank in the game. The best items you can ever get and it has to worth a fortune and a lot of work. Here it’s just skin… When you say legendary it should MEAN something.

They did this, specifically, so that legendaries are optional, rather than percieved as required because they’re BiS.

GW2 isn’t a game where it’s supposed to be inordinately challenging to get BiS gear. The game expects every player to have BiS gear, and is balanced around that fact. In fact, at launch exotic was BiS gear, and the ascended tier was only added because they determined that they though “finishing” your gear should take more than a week and didn’t want to nerf crafting and drop rates for exotic with so many already in people’s hands.

This same ogic is the reason behind HoT not adding new tiers of gear or additional character levels, both of which would have been easier and taken less development time than coming up with the mastry system.

Legendaries are optional, and they come with a guarantee that once they are acquired, you will never, for any reason, ever need to spend another dime on that gear slot again. That’s the point. They’re overpriced vanity items on purpose, not something everyone is expected to acquire in the process of building best in slot gear.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Hi,

Thanks.

Then why not make all legendaries acc bound. You would recognize people who truly did something to have that legendary.

Legendaries are account bound, and u can transmute the skin on other same types. Gw2 is a pretty game and it gets that with a legendary’s visual effects. Currently my necro feels naked, but when it gets nevermore with flying ravens around ill be stoked to play it more. And it feels great beating a player knowing u didnt outgear him with stats, while having nice combat animations

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hi,

The skin is legendary; not the stats.

Imagine if they reversed themselves and legendaries got a stats buff. Can you not predict the complaints about how hard it is to get those stats? About how the demand for all the mats spiked by 1000%, causing massive price hikes (which then affects all other markets). That’s before people got started raking ANet over the coals about their ‘promise’ that ascended gear would always be ‘best in game’.

Maybe it’s “unfair” that legendaries aren’t more legendary. However, it would be even more unfair if they had different stats from ascended.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Hi,

Thanks.

Legendaries are account bound, and u can transmute the skin on other same types. Gw2 is a pretty game and it gets that with a legendary’s visual effects. Currently my necro feels naked, but when it gets nevermore with flying ravens around ill be stoked to play it more. And it feels great beating a player knowing u didnt outgear him with stats, while having nice combat animations

Not true for all legendaries. The original legendary weapons are not account bound on acquire, they do become account bound on equip.

The ones released with HoT are account bound on acquire.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

It’s horizontal progression. You should have seen all of the QQ when they added the ability to change stats. Anyway at this point it is not going to be changing so no use putting much effort into advocating for anything different. Except maybe the ability to save sigils.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

I would keep the current system, there is no need to create another tier of gear. Bad idea to make Legendaries higher stats – you’d be creating a massive gold requirement to have BiS weapons.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Falanu.4289

Falanu.4289

I’m not sure, it is. I’m in my 4th month of playing the game and I already spent approx. 1000-1200g on gems for LS2, the Account Bump and an everlasting logging-tool. Now imagine how much gold I’m going to have once I got the other 2 everlasting logging tools.
Had I played for more than 2 years, 3000g don’t appear that much any more. It’s pocket change. Gold is more than just accessible in GW2.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Astra Lux.2846

Astra Lux.2846

Same thing as Obsidian armour, and other skins, in Guild Wars. It’s about prestige and unique looks (and in GW2, additional functionality). Guild Wars series isn’t about gear stats.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

Hi,

Thanks.

“I’m complaining because I don’t think the current system is fair because I wouldn’t design it this way.”

Go build your own game and design it your way and see how much money you make in the real world.

-Gabriel

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

You are right for that. We should not be able to sold a Legendary directly into the TP and they kind of fix that since for the new legendaries you can’t sold the Precursor, nor the Legendary. If you want one, you need to complete it all.

Legendary are for the Skin and that’s pretty much it. Now if you don’t think it’s worth it then don’t buy one. Anyway, there is a good reason why Legendary have the same stats as ascended. GW2 isn’t suppose to be a grind for gear. GW2 community already had a hard time accepting ascended gear already so imagine if they add better stats to legendary. It’s just not that type of game.

Don’t get me wrong, your point isn’t bad, but it’s just not the right game for that. The community want to get as far as possible of that kind of feature in GW2.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I have 1 legendary, I fully intended to make more at some point and I’m very happy with this system.

Guild Wars games have always (since the release of GW1) been designed around this idea of a relatively level playing field, that the best stats in the game should be accessible to everyone and the hard to achieve long-term goals should only be for optional, cosmetic differences. It’s the same reason everyone is level 80 in PvP and up-scaled in WvW.

I realise it’s quite different to a lot of games, MMOs in particular, and it probably comes as a surprise to some people that legendaries aren’t any better but honestly I think it’s a better design because it is optional. If you don’t think a legendary is worth making then you can simply choose not to make one and you don’t have to worry about it affecting your ability to complete content in the game.

As for me, I absolutely think it was worth it because the end result was a bow that shoots rainbow unicorns. It’s the single most ridiculous weapon I’ve ever seen in any game and it makes even the most mundane fights more entertaining.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well truly legendary….

I think most HoT legendaries are in a league of their own, and can be considered way more legendary then previous legendaries…

I’ve seen lvl 80 ppl with -300 to 400 AP- with Legendary Greatsword skins, whcih IMHO are purely bought with creditcards. There is little legendary about most legendaries… especially on characters without AP’s

I made 2, The Kudzu and The Meteorologicus and am working (albeit not with any rush) on Zap to make Bolt. I might want to make the new Staff skin, ehm… Nevermore is it?

But I do not see the added value above the (mostly BLTP skinned) ascendeds I already own. I have 7 full ascended armors and I have 70+ ascended weapons for my 19 lvl 80 characters.

If I make a legendary it’s -PURELY- about the value of the skin, whcih also means I’ll never make any of the Greatswords as I find them UGLY (I still hate the blurs after 3 years I still am convinced it’s the 2 ugliest things ingame, and there are some really bad things… which rate (far) above.

/ Guild Fashion Wars rant.

Oh and after Nevermore, likely never more legendaries, or they need to be really, really ,really impressive. And they will need to be extremely impressive!

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Hi,

Thanks.

Not true for all legendaries. The original legendary weapons are not account bound on acquire, they do become account bound on equip.

The ones released with HoT are account bound on acquire.

The vanilla legendaries aren’t account bound because it was an idea that came too late. Anet specifically said they didn’t apply the new system to old legendaries because there were already too many on the TP and it would screw over too much of a percentage of the playerbaser to do any good. Basically it was 3 years too late to change and wouldn’t do any good.

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

What makes the difference is not the raw stats.
It’s ‘Weapon Power’ rating for weapons,and ‘Armor’ rating for armor.
These are one tier better in ascended gear.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Legendary vs Ascended

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

The endgame has been Horizontal Progression since GW1 launch. “Players should not have to grind gear for content” has always been a HUGE part of the design philosophy for this series.

Devs have stated repeatedly that Legendary gear will always be BiS but will never have better stats than the next tier down. The value is in the appearance. The GW endgame has ALWAYS been about visual appearance.

At least you can swap stats on Legendaries, and they + asc. stuff is account bound. My GW1 Obsidian Armor and Tormented Weapons are expensive, shiny, and very, very soul bound. I can’t even put the skins on my alts.