Legendary weapons no longer an option for most players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Damsel Delilah.9084

Damsel Delilah.9084

Are legendary weapons even a possibility for most players to go for at this point?
At the rate the prices are climbing for just the exotic version alone I highly doubt anyone not already very wealthy could ever afford one.

I was at one time going for both sunrise and twilight, but due to recent spikes in prices I no longer see these as an option and wonder what I have left to do in the game.
You may say that I could go for the other parts of the legendary first, but what is the point? by the time I get those parts done I will have fallen even further behind the market for dusk/dawn.

I would have to play about 10+ hours a day of solid dungeon farming to even hope of catching up to the insanely fast rising prices of the market right now.

So now I ask the ultimate question… Are legendary weapons no longer an option for players to go for?

To clarify:
I am more than willing to put in the time if it was not all for nothing due to a fast paced market that will always be one step ahead of me.

I am aware legendary weapons are not a instant thing, but I do not feel that one part of the legendary should be so expensive/random to get…especially the exotic precursor.

Demise – Elementalist/Warrior
We Have No Creativity [FML]- r.i.p. 2013
http://www.twitch.tv/attuneddemise

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

As of about an hour ago the prices for dusk and dawn:

Dusk – 315g
Dawn – 299g

For reference just one week ago these weapons were around the 200g mark. Four weeks ago they were going for less than 100g.

There is a thread in the crafting section talking about this exact thing. This thread will probably get either closed or merged.

fellyn.5083

its called legendaries for a good reason.

So in your mind spending hundreds of gold and/or relying on RNG is legendary?

Personally I call that tedious and boring. If people don’t see the rising prices of those weapons as a problem then they are pretty short sighted.

The game has barely been out 2 months. What happen in another in 2 more months? They will be pushing the 500-600g mark. The rate at which we get money playing the game normally is not enough to compensate for those prices even if you do play 10 hours a day 7 days a week.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Personally I call that tedious and boring.

well most games relies on random numbers generator so all of them must be tedious and boring to you.

why do you play games then?

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

Again as said before, they’re legendaries for a reason, and therefore not really in the realm of “attainable” for the really average casual player.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

fellyn.5083

Personally I call that tedious and boring.

well most games relies on random numbers generator so all of them must be tedious and boring to you.

why do you play games then?

I can think of quite a few ways they could put in the game to make it so these weapons are still hard to get but make the process a hell of a lot more fun than it is now.

RNG is a lazy game mechanic put in place when the game devs either don’t care or don’t have enough time to make something better.

And to answers your question, besides GW2 I mostly only play FPS games. Battlefield 3, CS:GO, etc. No rng in those games.

Posted by: Sevens the lucky.2913

Sevens the lucky.2913

I dont really know what all is involved in getting one of these…what part of the quest makes it where you are forced to buy something off the TP? or is this something you could do for yourself and just want the convenience of the TP (not meant to be insulting there but is a serious question as I know with RL the convenience thing is a real nice option)

fellyn.5083

I dont really know what all is involved in getting one of these…what part of the quest makes it where you are forced to buy something off the TP? or is this something you could do for yourself and just want the convenience of the TP (not meant to be insulting there but is a serious question as I know with RL the convenience thing is a real nice option)

For what people call the “precursor weapon”. You have to either buy one off the market or get one through RNG by throwing weapons into the mystic forge. Which depending on your luck could cost you very little or quite a lot. It’s a lot more likely to cost you hundreds of gold and lots of frustration doing it the mystic forge route though.

Again as said before, they’re legendaries for a reason, and therefore not really in the realm of “attainable” for the really average casual player.

And I’ll say to you the same thing I said to the other person. RNG or spending hundreds of gold on the market is not legendary.

It’s not even legendary anymore, it’s crossed the line to being plain autistic.

Seeing a legendary used to impress me, I could see the time and commitment that goes into making one back then.

Now whenever I see one I can’t help but feel sorry for the people who wield them. It’s crossed over from being an object of vanity to one of pity.
Because you know deep down inside that the ridiculous amount of time and effort required to get them now means that the game has to eat into their real lives (if they had any) to achieve that goal .

A lot of the people who have them now had the help of several others or their entire guilds. I don’t think any one person has actually obtained one on their own, without any sort of help.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

The price of the weapons are driven by the supply and demand law. Its price keep risingbecause people can afford them at that price range. This is call infation.

If others can afford them and you cant, well, tough luck.

You think the high price part would make it legendary, yet making the weapons an option for most people as your title imply is legendary?

This is also why anet place the dr system in game. It is to prevent infation so the weapons wontbe 1000g by now. But i guessu are also one of those guys who complains about not getting enough gold because of dr?

O and please dont say gold sellers. Not many people can afford 400 usd to buy gold to get an ingame weapon.

(edited by carson yuen.6739)

fellyn.5083

So your idea of legendary is spending gold or playing the RNG game?

Sure isn’t mine. I’m not sure why people would be opposed to alternative ways to get the weapons.

Posted by: carson yuen.6739

carson yuen.6739

Spending gold or rng is just a small part of creating the legendary.

What you are asking is to make anet to spoon fed the legendary to u.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

What would’ve been a more legendary option for the pre-cursor is to give players 1 token they can exchange for any 1 pre-cursor after completing every dungeon path once (must run all again for another token).
This would promote dungeons and paths people normally don’t run, a better system than throwing gold at the TP or praying to the RNG gods for luck in the Mystic Forge. It would also give the legendary weapons more of a display of skill, rather than just being rich in a game.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

fellyn.5083

Spending gold or rng is just a small part of creating the legendary.

What you are asking is to make anet to spoon fed the legendary to u.

Please point out in my posts where I said I wanted to be “spoon fed a legendary”.

Here’s an idea I came up with that is terribly formatted but I think it conveys that I do not in fact want it to be “easy” to get a legendary. But just for the record it’s funny that people think rng or grinding hundreds of hours for gold is hard.

Might not be the best idea ever but it’s better than what we currently have.

Allow players to craft the precursor weapons. That means they are going to have to have 400 of either artificing, weapon smithing, or hunting. Which they will need anyways if they are going to make a legendary weapon.

Now. There are several ways they could make the process unique for these weapons but this is the one I think would work best.

Make the discovery require 4 parts. There are 4 boxes in the discovery window, yet nothing else in the game actually uses all 4 boxes that I’m aware of.

The 4 separate parts could then be sold by npcs that only spawn after various events. Better yet would be to create events in various zones that only happen very rarely, like once a week and have these npcs only spawn after they are completed.

The 4 separate parts would then each cost 20-30 gold. To put it in a way that Anet might understand, this would be a pretty decent gold sink.

In the end it would end up costing a person 80 to 120g depending on how much the 4 parts would be sold for. But the important thing is that it would allow people to feel like they are making progress towards their chosen weapon. At the same time it would keep the costs of these weapons constant (yet still rare) and people could actually work towards them without having to rely on RNG or super inflated prices on the market.

There are so many benefits to having a process like this created that it’s really blows my mind that the only thing Anet could come up with is RNG. The foremost among those reasons is that it takes a huge grind and breaks it up in to pieces that actually feel manageable. Second is that it doesn’t require the entire player base to be at the mercy of greedy players. While this idea isn’t all that refined I think it’s a hell of a lot better than the current “system”.

This is also outside the fact that you have to spend no less than 120g on other things in the process to creating your legendary weapon of choice.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Vithaar.8637

Vithaar.8637

nope not possible. Buy the time you amass 300g to buy it, they’ll be 500g.
Legendaries are clearly meant for the hardcore only.

Oh and good luck trying to get a precursor with the mystic forge!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The pre-cursors are rising on average 4g a day. If you don’t grind out at least 4g a day you will never see a legendary unless you are the luckiest person alive with the mystic forge. Regardless of how much you grind and spend farming other mats if you can’t keep up with the pre-cursor inflation you won’t ever get it.

It seems unlikely they will plateau any time soon. Anet has nerfed the drop rate on them 3 times so far which keeps the prices rising.

Posted by: Gillysan.1962

Gillysan.1962

The stats on Legendaries are the exact same as Exotic weapons, it’s just the skin right?

Posted by: Kreslin.6832

Kreslin.6832

The stats on Legendaries are the exact same as Exotic weapons, it’s just the skin right?

Yes, it is. =)

Seize the day.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

There are discoverable mystic forge weapons that are sometimes even better looking then their legendary counterpart, and much more realistic to obtain.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

Who cares? They are NOT necessary to be on the top competitively wise in this game. Exotics weapons are just as good.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

Who cares? They are NOT necessary to be on the top competitively wise in this game. Exotics weapons are just as good.

so they buy the personally better looking exotics, play a few weeks then play something else. awesome long-term goal.

gee, I wonder how many of those playing something else will buy gems for gw2.

fellyn.5083

Exactly. What else have people got to work for in the game if not legendaries? Doesn’t matter what the stats are on them and that’s the way it was in GW1 as well.

The problem here is the insane price inflation. And if it wasn’t a problem then Anet wouldn’t have posted on it no matter what you guys think.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

There are discoverable mystic forge weapons that are sometimes even better looking then their legendary counterpart, and much more realistic to obtain.

This. I just made my two level 80 mystic forge axes and I’m stopping there. They have a electric charge shooting up the inside of them giving (to me) a rather nice effect. If other want to use the RNG and the insane amount of grinding needed to get a legendary so be it, but not for this casual player. Oh and the RNG doesn’t come into play with them at all as the recipe is easy to guess and works 100% of the time without fail (at least for my axes, but there my be bugs still).

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Not every item should be an option for most players. Anet got this one right. Regardless of whatever sensibilities people have to the label ‘legendary’ and how to obtaining, It’s hard to get for people that want a way to differentiate themselves but it’s not improving your performance compared to the ‘regular’ people that will use exotics. There isn’t an issue here.

Posted by: guide.1487

guide.1487

It’s called a legendary for a reason. Only the most elite top level total nerds should be getting them. This isn’t world of warcraft where a legendary is something one person in every guild gets during a raid and before you know it everyone has one.

Leave it as it is, it’s perfect. It gives the game an older MMORPG feel back when things actually took time to get and felt like accomplishments when you finally got them.

Your number one source for Guild Wars 2 Guides and Information:

http://almarsguides.com/

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

Back when they started selling them Dusk costed around 7g :/,so i guess the price will just go up.But anet said that these weps were made with exploits and such and they will make a new waay to get precursor weapons.

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

The thing is.
Most of people who are selling Dusk and Dawn did exploit when they were able to. Who has 300g already? It’s impossible! Even playing 24/7 you won’t have 300g without exploiting.

If no1 used exploits or did get banned after exploiting these prices were aroung 100-150g atm. Not 300g.

Getting 5g/day, in 40days is 200g. To get 5g/day u almost need to play this 24/7.

Who will buy these weapons? People who exploitted. Because they re the ones who got 500g+.

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

The price of the weapons are driven by the supply and demand law. Its price keep risingbecause people can afford them at that price range. This is call infation.

You think the high price part would make it legendary, yet making the weapons an option for most people as your title imply is legendary?

This is also why anet place the dr system in game. It is to prevent infation so the weapons wontbe 1000g by now. But i guessu are also one of those guys who complains about not getting enough gold because of dr?

O and please dont say gold sellers. Not many people can afford 400 usd to buy gold to get an ingame weapon.

Plenty of players can afford and are prepared to pay 400 USD for the ‘BEST’ weapons in the game. For proof, you only have to look at other, existing, MMO, such as Perfect World, where 800 USD has been paid for pets.

The Legendary Carrots of GW2 are going to be a major cause of inflation. The rich farmers and traders will have them to waggle about, The Casual Sheep will pay more and more for the parts in the hope of gaining one, and GW2s economy will go the same way that all other MMO have gone.

Oh, and Heroes who simply kill the dragons will have to make do with Vendor trash.

IMHO, a Legendary weapon should be the reward for a Legendary act in Tyria. Not from beating the TP, farming like a bot or throwing stuff in the Mystic Toilet.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

(edited by Cina Reas.6938)

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Oh, and Heroes who simply kill the dragons will have to make do with Vendor trash.
IMHO, a Legendary weapon should be the reward for a Legendary act in Tyria. Not from beating the TP, farming like a bot or throwing stuff in the Mystic Toilet.

But everyone kills Zhaitan… how legendary is something that everyone has? (BTW devs did say that they are bringing unique skins for killing Z with a retroactive fix for people that run PS already).

As for the RNG part… why so much focus on that?.. the feat takes a lot of stuff… world exploration alone seems exhausting. As with many heroes in RL feats of greatness take planning. strategy, determination, courage, hard work and a little LUCK.

Getting your legendary will take planning, strategy, determination, courage, hard work and a little Luck. I see no difference. Not everyone will have them because life is like that.

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

“Legendary weapons no longer an option for most players?”

Were they ever an option for most players? No. When I first started looking at what was needed to make one, I got about half way through the list and after I was done laughing, I knew they weren’t something I was worried about. They were never meant for the casual player (and shouldn’t be).

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

NOT all precursors are 300+ gold. If you don’t have the time, effort, or desire to save up that much for one of the very highly priced and sought after ones then go ahead and strive for one of the cheaper ones.

Last I checked a couple days ago there were some for as low as 14 gold.

Posted by: nosleepdemon.1368

nosleepdemon.1368

Personally I’ve prioritised my legendary item collection to leave the base weapon till second last, and the karma to dead last. This is mainly because of the high price point, but also because my guild will have the karma bonus buffs by then, and also I will have maximised my chance to get the base weapon through RNG.

The cost of the weapon is certainly huge, but I’ve already begun to break even with my weapon smithing trade skill at 325/400, where selling the weapons I produce is enough to fund further skilling up.

I would suggest to anyone wanting to make enough money to buy the base weapon outright to look into playing the Trading Post, or research into which profession makes a good amount of money by selling crafted items. 300g is certainly not obtainable via world drops imo, you really need to have a grasp on the game’s economy to pull that much money off.

Finally, and this will be controversial for sure, but if you REALLY need to you could always buy gems with real money and trade those for gold. I would personally consider this a last resort, but not completely off the books as the game does not require a monthly subscription. If I had every other material ready except the base weapon, and saw no way to obtain the weapon by other means, I would consider this.

Having said all this, who the kitten cares about 300g when you need ONE MILLION KARMA!

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

But everyone kills Zhaitan… how legendary is something that everyone has? (BTW devs did say that they are bringing unique skins for killing Z with a retroactive fix for people that run PS already).

As for the RNG part… why so much focus on that?.. the feat takes a lot of stuff… world exploration alone seems exhausting. As with many heroes in RL feats of greatness take planning. strategy, determination, courage, hard work and a little LUCK.

Getting your legendary will take planning, strategy, determination, courage, hard work and a little Luck. I see no difference. Not everyone will have them because life is like that.

I would never suggest getting a Legendary for Zhaitan. GW2 branded Stress balls would be good there.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

Posted by: Dracones.9105

Dracones.9105

This will solve itself over time as Anet introduces other legend weapons via other means. The current legendaries are likely just a taste of things to come.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I think this can be solved by just having more hard to get and desirable weapon skins added, legendary or not.

Need to spread out the demand so people don’t all have the exact same goal on a limited set of items requiring certain ingredients. Then it would be more reasonable (but still hard) to get/buy such things.

Lets say there were like 10 really awesome greatsword skins to get. Well then not as many people would be wanting dusk and dawn. Then price goes down a bit to where it’s just “really expensive but you can get it if you try”.

Of course I expect them to add many more cool cosmetic skins in the future so maybe it’s not a huge deal.

Posted by: Lucubration.8361

Lucubration.8361

There will be people who spend all their resources throwing exotic weapons into the Mystic Forge to create precursors to sell. Over time, they establish a relatively stable rate based on the approximate odds of crafting a precursor and the cost of obtaining the rares/exotics used in the process. The price is all over the place right now due to speculation and lack of knowledge of those odds. That won’t always be the case.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

I’m not all that concerned by the price creep in terms of getting a legendary. I really don’t want one.

What concerns me is the price creep as an indicator of the health of the overall GW economy. I remember when Dusk was selling for 9g. It jumped up to 30g a week after that and I said, “Well, hello inflation.” Everyone said “Nah, the prices will stabilize” etc, etc.

Basically, what I see is Precursors, Exotic Gear, Ectos, and top-tier crafting mats being the only items with a value much above their vendor price atm, which is scary. The prices for rare crafting mats continue to fall, as well as dye and everything else, and what this indicates to me is a lack of growth in the game with a lot fewer new players coming in and crafting low to mid-level armor, while the high-level players are already mostly 80 with full exotics with only legendaries to look forward to. Overall, GW’s more economically moribund that Greece.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Low chance RNG for precursors needs to go.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: Joey.3928

Joey.3928

The less legendary weapons players have in the game the better. I know I won’t get my legendary for a long long time. I’m ok with that though. I don’t NEED it.

It was like getting Obsidian armor in GW1. It took awhile to get, but there was nothing different about it outside of appearance.

Estel Wolfheart
Norn Ranger
Hardcorepwnograhpy [HARD] | Isle of Janthir

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

300g is certainly not obtainable via world drops imo, you really need to have a grasp on the game’s economy to pull that much money off.

it’s 300g now. by the time the players that want to go for it reach 300g, the price will probably be 500g-600g.

a lot fewer new players coming in and crafting low to mid-level armor, while the high-level players are already mostly 80 with full exotics with only legendaries to look forward to.

tbh that was to be expected, everyone who thought else is incredibly naive. there are simply too many low/mid tier crafting mats available with no real use, and I doubt a temporary recipe will fix it, especially wood.
and the situation will only get worse the longer the game runs, temp recipes only make a slight dent, and every new permanent recipe worthwhile for 80s will either need an obscene amount of mats to make a difference (hf if you’re new or behind the curve) and/or good enough rewards people will go for it (which maybe/probably screws with other aspects of the game).

It was like getting Obsidian armor in GW1. It took awhile to get, but there was nothing different about it outside of appearance.

different game, different progression. if I wanted I could just BUY the stuff for obsidian armor, hardly comparable to a legendary which requires both an insane amount of grind AND RNG (hf grinding more if you want to circumenvent the RNG, see first paragraph).

(edited by Gray.9650)

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

Id rather spend my money on gear with actual stats for other characters then blow it on a pretty skin that will loose all its “oooh” and “aaaah” after a few weeks then you will sit there and wonder why your so burned out from the grind….

If the gear had some actual real stats or an alternate attack or special ability then I might be interested.

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

I haven’t even really broken down what might be needed for legendaries yet, so I don’t know why TP prices are such a factor. Do you really need to go thru the TP to craft a legendary?

If not, then I don’t have a problem with legendaries simply being a very long term thing. I guess I’m just not as driven to get everything as quickly as others.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Posted by: Veenix.5248

Veenix.5248

TL:DR = People can pay 300g for the weapon now, they farm for it since most people cant pay 400usd for gold. Anet put DR in place stop people from farming so gold and prices don’t Inflate. But I guess you don’t make enough to get your legendary cause there is DR and you don’t buy gold.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

Low chance RNG for precursors needs to go.

it’s really no different than a raid boss having an extremely low drop rate for a crafting material.

Posted by: RLD.7439

RLD.7439

Time, money and effort versus what you get are WAY off.
I find no reason to strive for something so sub par.

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.” -CS

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

I’m just saying that we’ve got some crippling inflation going on. Every time I say this though, people come out and say that since things like crafting mats are still going down, that’s not the case. It is. It’s just that there’s so much supply for them and so little demand that they’re beating the inflation by virtue of being valueless. Currently, the only things on the TP that have any kind of constant demand are food and mats for crafting Exotics, and even the demand for those mats are declining as more and more people get into Exotic gear and the supply remains constant.

That leaves Legendaries as the only thing people have left to put money towards, besides WP costs and gear repairs. Those still have a constant supply, but now the full force of the economy is being directed towards acquiring them, as they’re just about the only thing people have left to get aside from replenishing their supplies of Omnomberry Bars and sharpening stones. Follow that trend to its conclusion, and you’re going to see the prices for everything else in the game selling for vendor+1c while Dawn/Dusk cost, basically, “all the money.”

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

Having said all this, who the kitten cares about 300g when you need ONE MILLION KARMA!

By farming one million karma you won’t get even half of 300g. So do farm your karma first because it basically gives you everything else needed for the legendary.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

It just super rich people playing the market,easy to spot them atm buy oder 2×250g sell 2×400 clearly same guy making ton ton of gold and he can raise the price about 100 g each time he make a sell and do it again.

Good job Anet for nerfing the drop rate that much people can own the market easy and risk free xD

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

those weapons were 185g last night

what you have is people playing the tp – they are buying them then relisting them

the only way anet will fix this is to put a cap on how much you can sell any item on the tp for, or remove the ability to list pre-cursers entirely.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

The items may be legendary but the means to getting there is luck and farmfest the opposite of legendary

Posted by: TerminalMontage.5693

TerminalMontage.5693

There should be incredibly hard events that not many can succeed at, or tournaments of some sort in PvE that award players Legendaries, or the items needed to make them.