Legendary weapons no longer an option for most players?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Promega.7628

Promega.7628

People seriously… not all legendary precursors are 300+ gold. There will always be a most sought after, most expensive item in the game. Right now it just happens to be Dusk. Can’t or don’t want to save up for it? Then buy a cheaper legendary precursor.

I don’t think people even realize the additional cost for the Gift of Twilight. Your also going to need 100 onyx lodestones (~100g) and 250 ori ingots compared to the much cheaper mats of some of the other legendaries.

If your complaining about the price of Dusk/Dawn ask yourself, “Why must I have this item” followed by, “What are the alternatives?”

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Why can’t I just go talk to the Pale Tree and have her give me a unique weapon? Worked for our hero.

Posted by: Wreknar.5076

Wreknar.5076

The bottom line here is that Legendaries are a result of your wallet AND dedication, OR unrealistic luck AND dedication. It should not be this way. Everyone, should be able to forge their Legendary given enough time and effort (READ….dedication should be the only determining factor here).

Legendary’s are THE endgame goal in GW2 (look at the character selection screen and see the “Obtain a Legendary Weapon” medal if you don’t believe me).

This is Modern MMO Design 101….

The current system will not allow this and should offer alternatives through either karma, dungeon, WvW, etc. (exactly how the gifts are obtained now). Give the common player a direction to work towards, and if you’re so lucky to bypass the requirements by having the luck to obtain a pre-legendary via TP or MF, then congrats, I will gladly be happy for you. The pacing at which all the components are obtained could easily be stretched out to require months or years of work. Anything less does violate the moral standard set forth by their manifesto.

Gating one required component via a currently volatile economy or small chance (and expensive) RNG function is not the way to go about it.

Posted by: lordstrego.1874

lordstrego.1874

I personally believe if i have to grind my way to a legendary weapon…its not all that legendary then.Grinding is not legendary people,and from what i understand wasn’t what Anet wanted but i guess that slipped.

I understand you want to make them hard to get, sure,but to make them so impossibly difficult to achieve outside obscene hours of grinding for gold/karma is just…well sad.

That makes them rewards for people who started early,exploited,or buys huge amounts of gems and converts to gold.

I want it to be legendary, give me a string of difficult missions like the personal story to get to it.Make me battle epic bosses with their own heavy duty areas to achieve the goal.That would make it legendary…not grinding gold for months or “tag and run” grinding for karma.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Honestly, if the requirements were low/simple enough that most people could reasonably expect to get one I wouldn’t call them Legendary. But then I’ve never been one of those “everyone should have access” people so it doesn’t matter to me. I wont ever see one, never expected to, and that fact has zero impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Posted by: Roctod.7290

Roctod.7290

Not every item should be an option for most players. Anet got this one right. Regardless of whatever sensibilities people have to the label ‘legendary’ and how to obtaining, It’s hard to get for people that want a way to differentiate themselves but it’s not improving your performance compared to the ‘regular’ people that will use exotics. There isn’t an issue here.

It’s called a legendary for a reason. Only the most elite top level total nerds should be getting them. This isn’t world of warcraft where a legendary is something one person in every guild gets during a raid and before you know it everyone has one. Leave it as it is, it’s perfect. It gives the game an older MMORPG feel back when things actually took time to get and felt like accomplishments when you finally got them

While I don’t disagree that crafting the legendaries should be difficult and time-consuming, having this kind of attitude really isn’t helpful or useful to the game’s overall success. Pandering exclusively to a small portion of the population is a really easy way to burn out a much larger section of the playerbase.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The whole attitude that “only a small portion of player base deserves to have them” bugs the ever living kitten out of me.

The entire purpose of the pve end game is decking your character out in amazing looking gear. If not then why is the reward for dungeons good looking gear? Why are their achievements tied directly to this? Why are there medals tied directly to that on the character select screen?

And then short sighted people who say “well 300g is fine price, if you can’t afford it go after something else blah blah blah”. They are 300g right now. Not even 2 months after the games release and a very very very gracious 1% of the game population can even come close to that amount. What happens in 6 months when not as many people are playing? When not as many people are buying on the market, when the supply is even less and the demand remains relatively constant? The prices go up up and up.

The simple fact of the matters it that if you play regularly you will never make enough money to compensate for those costs.

There are so many fun ways they could make to get the precursor weapons I just can’t believe people are so stuck on the idea of getting them through RNG or grinding hundreds of hours for gold to buy one on the market. That is as far from legendary as you can get.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: GostlyEnigma.8347

GostlyEnigma.8347

I have a simple view on stuff like this ya ok that looks nice and all big bloody deal that well not impress me at all frankly I really don’t care what or how the gear you have on has as stats or looks. All I care about and get impressed from is how WELL you play do you Suck or do you shine when all hell breaks loose and the plan of attack is tatters that is when the truly great players well show.

Its never the fall that kills you only the sudden stop.

fellyn.5083

I have a simple view on stuff like this ya ok that looks nice and all big bloody deal that well not impress me at all frankly I really don’t care what or how the gear you have on has as stats or looks. All I care about and get impressed from is how WELL you play do you Suck or do you shine when all hell breaks loose and the plan of attack is tatters that is when the truly great players well show.

I don’t want a legendary weapon to impress others. I don’t care what anyone else thinks. I play the game for my own enjoyment not yours or any other persons and that’s all that matters to me.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I never really thought much of them, and so never really wanted one. If I did, I don’t think I’d ever be able to get one. There’s too much money tied to it, and I’m not a Guild Wars stock broker like some people. I try to play normally, and there’s no possible way I’d make that much money over time without actively refusing to use any of the money I make. Even then it’d take one or two years. And certainly, there’s no way to currently get one without obscene amounts of money or exploits, since the mystic forge apparently is run by the mafia.

Consequently, I have a low opinion of legendary users. I don’t see them as prestigious, but rather, as people who have cheated their way to them, or who make a living in-game off manipulating the economy. These are not legendary players. They’re just the game equivalent of the 0.5% in real life.

You never tie prestige weapons to money, in any game. Ever. Else, you get situations like this.

But no, to answer the question directly, I don’t think legendaries are realistic for any player unless they are manipulating the trading post in some way, as a career in-game. Obviously the system they have now is broken. It was a bad idea to begin with, and reeks of standard MMO conventions that ANet promised they were trying to avoid. It wasn’t in GW1 – not this bad by a longshot – but it’s in the sequel. That tells me they’re trying to cater to the worst portion of the genre’s fanbase, because they feel they have to.

(edited by Plague.5329)

fellyn.5083

I never really thought much of them, and so never really wanted one. If I did, I don’t think I’d ever be able to get one. There’s too much money tied to it, and I’m not a Guild Wars stock broker like some people. I try to play normally, and there’s no possible way I’d make that much money over time without actively refusing to use any of the money I make. Even then it’d take one or two years. And certainly, there’s no way to currently get one without obscene amounts of money or exploits, since the mystic forge apparently is run by the mafia.

Consequently, I have a low opinion of legendary users. I don’t see them as prestigious, but rather, as people who have cheated their way to them, or who make a living in-game off manipulating the economy. These are not legendary players. They’re just the game equivalent of the 0.5% in real life.

You never tie prestige weapons to money, in any game. Ever. Else, you get situations like this.

But no, to answer the question directly, I don’t think legendaries are realistic for any player unless they are manipulating the trading post in some way, as a career in-game. Obviously the system they have now is broken. It was a bad idea to begin with, and reeks of standard MMO conventions that ANet promised they were trying to avoid. It wasn’t in GW1 – not this bad by a longshot – but it’s in the sequel. That tells me they’re trying to cater to the worst portion of the genre’s fanbase, because they feel they have to.

The people who got them legitimately and posted them on reddit had the help of others. That’s the only way “legit” players have obtained them as of right now. I’m not aware of any one legit player getting it 100% on their own.

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

There’s little demand for anything not legendary related, and since most legendary related items are vendor bought pretty much all of the price is put on precursors.

Posted by: Wahaha.7938

Wahaha.7938

There’s little demand for anything not legendary related, and since most legendary related items are vendor bought pretty much all of the price is put on precursors.

That’s simply completely wrong. 450 ectos, 250 of each t6 mat, hundreds of orichalcum ingots, planks, lodestones, etc. All TP bought. And way more expensive than most precursors.

Posted by: Dixa.6017

Dixa.6017

ecto’s are going to be under 14s each after tonight. they were 15s last night.

they are dropping 1s a day since the dr farming code was releaxed. now that you can get ori with multiple chars that, too is starting to drop.

Posted by: Zasus.1546

Zasus.1546

They should give the player the title “legendary grinder” when they obtain it.

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

Here’s the thing:

If the idea of grinding gold to buy a precursor makes your stomach turn, legendaries were never meant for you. I say this knowing full well that I’m in that category: as a semi-casual player, I was never meant to have a legendary.

So I haven’t made that my goal.

The problem with having a different method of obtaining the precursor weapons is that anything guaranteed—a long quest line, for example—is inevitably going to make the weapons more common. Once everyone knows there’s a 100% guaranteed way of getting it, even if it takes weeks to do, then I guarantee you’ll see legendaries become common much sooner than you will with the current system. And then what’s the point? When everyone and their cat is running around with Sunrise, it’s just going to be annoying to look at.

If that means I don’t get to have one, then that’s okay.

I’m not completely opposed to making a different method for acquiring precursors, but it has to be just as difficult and just as “rare” as it is right now or legendaries will be a joke.

fellyn.5083

Why do they need to be exclusive to the super hard core who play 10+ hours a day 7 days a week?

Anyone who wants one should be able to get one, that’s what it comes down to. We all paid money for this game. We are all entitled to have 100% access to it, not just people who play all day ever day.

I honestly don’t get that line of thought. If you want a dead game keep making content that only the smallest portion of the player base can access.

That being said I’m not saying I want it easy to get. I just don’t want to rely on RNG or a fickle market. But people who read these threads and say they are fine with how it is now seem to only focus on the idea they think we want it easier to get. That couldn’t be further from the truth. No one has asked Anet to make them easier to get.

And I’ll just ask this. Why are people so concerned about what others have or haven’t done in the game? I want a legendary weapon because to me they look bad kitten and I plan to play this game for years to come as I did with GW1 so I want to look awesome while doing so. It has nothing to do with exclusivity and wouldn’t bother me in the slightest if Anet gave everyone a legendary weapon for free as a gift for Christmas.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Posted by: Togashi Jack.9531

Togashi Jack.9531

Legendary Weapons no longer an option for most players? No. Legendary weapons were never an option for most players.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

its called legendaries for a good reason.

So in your mind spending hundreds of gold and/or relying on RNG is legendary?

Personally I call that tedious and boring.

well most games relies on random numbers generator so all of them must be tedious and boring to you.

why do you play games then?

I can think of quite a few ways they could put in the game to make it so these weapons are still hard to get but make the process a hell of a lot more fun than it is now.

RNG is a lazy game mechanic put in place when the game devs either don’t care or don’t have enough time to make something better.

And to answers your question, besides GW2 I mostly only play FPS games. Battlefield 3, CS:GO, etc. No rng in those games.

There are RNG in those games. Ever used a machine gun and wonder why all the bullets dont go in a straight line? Its cause of a RNG is adjusting where the bullet is going even if by a little bit.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

fellyn.5083

well most games relies on random numbers generator so all of them must be tedious and boring to you.

I can think of quite a few ways they could put in the game to make it so these weapons are still hard to get but make the process a hell of a lot more fun than it is now.

RNG is a lazy game mechanic put in place when the game devs either don’t care or don’t have enough time to make something better.

And to answers your question, besides GW2 I mostly only play FPS games. Battlefield 3, CS:GO, etc. No rng in those games.

There are RNG in those games. Ever used a machine gun and wonder why all the bullets dont go in a straight line? Its cause of a RNG is adjusting where the bullet is going even if by a little bit.

It’s still predictable and consistent and you have a direct control over it. That’s in no way RNG. Specifically, the guns in Battlefield 3 all behave in certain ways. Once you learn how to control them it’s a non-issue.

And none of that has to do with RNG in GW2, so nice try, I guess.

Suddenflame.2601

It’s still predictable and consistent and you have a direct control over it. That’s in no way RNG. Specifically, the guns in Battlefield 3 all behave in certain ways. Once you learn how to control them it’s a non-issue.

There is no direct control! Can you predict that your last bullet in your clip go up down left right or straight? No then there is a massive RNG that could determine a kill or be killed cause machine guns take forever to reload. All the guns behave in certain ways based on the greater range on the RNG. Sniper rifles have the least range on the RNG where as full machine guns have a huge RNG. Also the range on the RNG is effected by your movement. The game takes it all into account then throws it all into a RNG then from there adds that value to your bullet. I could easily find this code and show you the RNG. only games i know that dont use RNG are old classic arcade games.

edit: Also there is a ton of RNGs in GW2 and MMO’s from loot drops to mystic forge. I have no problem with the RNGs in this game for pre-cursor weapons. I want all legendary weapons but i am also willing to wait and be patient for them. Any way i can think of to fix this helps out botters out more then hinders them. By throwing a RNG it significantly lowers botters chances and money value (not that i seen to many botters in all my game time). Plus the precursors have a chance to drop from monsters much the same as in GW1 where you had to kill a single monster over and over just to get its special skin weapon or redo the same dungeon over and over just to have a chance to get that unique skin. They just made a 2nd RNG with the mystic forge so now you have 2 routes to get that weapon rather then just 1. I lost track how long i played a single dungeon in ETON just to get the frog staff (i never did get it mind you cause GW2 came out before i could). So now i got 2 ways to get the weapon i want rather then just 1.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Difference between FPS RNG and GW2 RNG:
FPS RNG effects you for about 1 second while you get unlucky shots and miss continuously. You either die or kill them shortly after. Also, FPS RNG costs you nothing.

GW2 RNG effects you for a very large amount of time to gather resources, craft, and earn money to make precursor all to just HOPE that it works in the mystic forge.

There is a HUGE difference there. One costs you a respawn, the other costs you months, at the least as a legit single player.

Suddenflame.2601

Difference between FPS RNG and GW2 RNG:
FPS RNG effects you for about 1 second while you get unlucky shots and miss continuously. You either die or kill them shortly after. Also, FPS RNG costs you nothing.

GW2 RNG effects you for a very large amount of time to gather resources, craft, and earn money to make precursor all to just HOPE that it works in the mystic forge.

There is a HUGE difference there. One costs you a respawn, the other costs you months, at the least as a legit single player.

Take into account how long an average FPS game is (30mins max) and a MMO which can take years. So if a FPS game decided to become a MMOFPS i bet you RNG would start to kitten people off a lot cause a single bullet missing could matter a lot.

edit: Not sure how a FPS would become a MMOFPS but just for sake of convo

[GWAM] and [LUST]

(edited by Suddenflame.2601)

Posted by: Snow Aeth.1937

Snow Aeth.1937

Ya can put a cost cap on legendaries.
Just sell those weapons needed for 300~500g at an npc

“I can outrun a centaur”
Hacking your orbs since 2/11

Suddenflame.2601

Ya can put a cost cap on legendaries.
Just sell those weapons needed for 300~500g at an npc

Then it becomes a bot fest. cause they apparently have all the money (going from the bot complaint forums) so hackers and botters would have a huge amount of them and hardly anyone else. The current system is not bad at all people just want to rush everything for some reason rather then have fun.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

The word legendary means it is very very rare.

It took me nearly a year to get my legendary armour in GW1 and I actually never manage to finish my “God walk among mere mortal” title.

Well yes I don’t expect more than 10% of the player base will ever owning a legendary weapon. Or there will be no point in putting in the extra efforts to try and get one.

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

Honestly, I’m sad that crafting a legendary requires currency of any kind. A legendary weapon should require legendary tasks. Not to say there should be no materials, but it seems lazy to make part of the barrier gold. It’s a legendary weapon, not the Wall Street Saber of the Money Lord.

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

until the gaming population stands up and says enough is enough for stupid things developers do in games for skins..this will continue in every game created to lure players using shiney objects.

Everytime i hear about legend items i think of d3 and how the game is an epic fail after taking years and years to get to where they are now.

slow and steady im seeing the same pattern in this game.

Posted by: Ebs.6280

Ebs.6280

It is simply the market at work. Prices keep going up untill enough people say ‘no, this is too much’, or everyone who can and will buy the items at these prices have them. Another option is that the prices have yet to stabalize at something (this is unlikely if you say the prices rise quicker then you can farm).

Eventually they come down again, be it in a week, a month or 3 months. Once everyone who has more commitment (or better RNG) then you has their item, you can get it, after which people with less commitment then you will get theirs.

(edited by Ebs.6280)

Posted by: Lani.1429

Lani.1429

I was prepared for grinding this set and already had the chest peice. Untill today where a random mob dropped Howl. 170% magic find

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

They wouldn’t be legendary if you could get one for yourself by playing 1-2 hours a day for a month or two.

What’s legendary if everyone and their dog are wielding it?

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

They wouldn’t be legendary if you could get one for yourself by playing 1-2 hours a day for a month or two.

No one is saying that, necessarily. Just that it shouldn’t be tied to gold, so only the super wealthy can get them. Even a play who plays GW2 every day for the next five years may never get one, because they aren’t obsessed with grinding money. Someone with enough credit cards who doesn’t even know how to play the game can get a legendary, whereas the best player in the world may never get one. The quality of the appearance should reflect the quality of the player, not their time investment or cleverness on the stock market. Hence why people are saying it should be tied to legendary accomplishments.

Personally, I think the concept of a Legendary should have never existed, and their models should have just been normal weapons you can purchase from rare vendors, after completing certain tasks. They would be normal Exotics, and their use would be based only on whether people think they look good or not. Red names would be limited it transmuted items and boss weapons (when those get added). Get rid of those stupid “sort of orange” colored titles while we’re at it. The whole concept of the legendary system was asinine to begin with, and should never have been in the game at all. It’s just a hand-holding system for witless MMO players from other games that don’t know what to do with their time, and need some disappointing looking item undeservingly set upon a pedestal, to shoot for.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

No one is saying that, necessarily. Just that it shouldn’t be tied to gold, so only the super wealthy can get them. Even a play who plays GW2 every day for the next five years may never get one, because they aren’t obsessed with grinding money. Someone with enough credit cards who doesn’t even know how to play the game can get a legendary, whereas the best player in the world may never get one. The quality of the appearance should reflect the quality of the player, not their time investment or cleverness on the stock market. Hence why people are saying it should be tied to legendary accomplishments.

Sorry but MMOs don’t work around the quality of players. You can already net more money if you’re a good player by playing explorable dungeons, because you don’t have to pay a 10-20s repair bill for each one. But that’s about it. Everything else is “easy”. You just have to do it a lot.

MMOs are designed to reward grinding. They are designed to be time sinks. It’s just the way it is and it won’t change, because the developers want to keep you playing for years and years to come.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

You guys talking like of we only had to buy percursor to get Legendary.
Even if percursor was 50g, you still needed more gold.

Buying Lodestone, t6 materials, farm 500k karma, buy runes (1g each).

But wtv, for me it’s ok. Since it’s a Legendary weapon. You must work for a Legendary weapon. Did you want ANet to give it to all players as a gift? No, you have to farm to get it. Just like in other MMO. To get the BEST stuff, you need to work for it.

The only thing that ANet could change, an easy way to get a percursor.

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

Posted by: sasxa.1582

sasxa.1582

My problem with luck factor is that it pushes prices of everything related to legendaries. And you can’t really plan your legendary journey. I personally wouldn’t mind getting few components a day so I can make my legendary in ‘stack (250) days’ (; But this is still an MMO, things will change. I’m sure in 5 years everybody and their cat will have legendaries.

At this time I don’t plan on getting one, untill we get ‘fixed’ recipies, and I’m sure we will, eventualy. It’s really a shame ANet didn’t put some more effort into making these weapons trully legendary. I’m talking two months long world wide quest chains, that would be something (: Or even selling them for 5000 Achievement Points (ok, ok, disable salvage achivement, geez) would be better then random factor in Arcane Wishing Well…

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

To get the BEST stuff, you need to work for it.

The only thing that ANet could change, an easy way to get a percursor.

sigh no ones complains that it’s hard to get, just how luck dependent or daily time investment it is to get a PRECURSOR (not even the legendary itself).

fellyn.5083

There is no direct control! Can you predict that your last bullet in your clip go up down left right or straight? No then there is a massive RNG that could determine a kill or be killed cause machine guns take forever to reload. All the guns behave in certain ways based on the greater range on the RNG. Sniper rifles have the least range on the RNG where as full machine guns have a huge RNG. Also the range on the RNG is effected by your movement. The game takes it all into account then throws it all into a RNG then from there adds that value to your bullet. I could easily find this code and show you the RNG. only games i know that dont use RNG are old classic arcade games.

edit: Also there is a ton of RNGs in GW2 and MMO’s from loot drops to mystic forge. I have no problem with the RNGs in this game for pre-cursor weapons. I want all legendary weapons but i am also willing to wait and be patient for them. Any way i can think of to fix this helps out botters out more then hinders them. By throwing a RNG it significantly lowers botters chances and money value (not that i seen to many botters in all my game time). Plus the precursors have a chance to drop from monsters much the same as in GW1 where you had to kill a single monster over and over just to get its special skin weapon or redo the same dungeon over and over just to have a chance to get that unique skin. They just made a 2nd RNG with the mystic forge so now you have 2 routes to get that weapon rather then just 1. I lost track how long i played a single dungeon in ETON just to get the frog staff (i never did get it mind you cause GW2 came out before i could). So now i got 2 ways to get the weapon i want rather then just 1.

You’re really trying to argue this point? Skill actually plays a part in FPS games. Once you learn to control the recoil (the rng as you call it) it becomes muscle memory and that’s all there is to it. It’s not even comparable and I’m not sure why you are trying to do so.

You absolutely 100% cannot control the RNG in an mmo. You’re either lucky or you aren’t. And yes, you are right, there are certain aspects of rng in GW2. But as far as the precursor weapon goes there doesn’t have to be.

(edited by fellyn.5083)

Agent Noun.7350

Not everything in every MMO is meant for every player.

I’m sorry, but if everyone could reasonably accomplish everything in GW2 within a couple of months, it would have no long-term appeal for anyone but the most casual of players. That’s not okay, not for ArenaNet’s bottom line, and not for the games long-term health. In a game where everything is about cosmetics, players need to be allowed to feel special. If everyone has something, then nobody gets to feel special, and all that motivation is gone.

If legendaries had better stats than exotics, then I think you’d have a point. It wouldn’t be fair if people who sunk exponentially more hours into the game than you did could more easily defeat you in WvW (or do better in PvE) by virtue of simply having a more powerful weapon than you could ever hope to get your hands on. But they’re not. In fact, the stats on legendary weapons are kind of underwhelming—not everyone’s going to want power, vitality, and toughness on their weapon, and if they do, there are much easier ways to get those.

The motivation to get a legendary is only because they’re “special.”

I want to reiterate: if ArenaNet can come up with another way to get the legendary precursors that doesn’t rely on the Mystic Forge but keeps them just as rare and hard to get as they are now, I’m all for it. I can’t think of anything myself—the only ideas I have to keep them rare rely on RNG—but I’m not a game developer. But, as someone who doesn’t have a legendary precursor and might never have one, I am vehemently opposed to making them more common.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I like some luck being involved, feels more rewarding or like a relief that way when you finally get the drop.
My experience with other games (for example lotro after they changed to token barter systems for everything) is that if you know beforehand exactly what you need to do and can estimate how long it will take that it becomes more boring and often even feels more grindy.
Acquiring a legendary in GW2 doesn’t feel grind to me because it requires luck and a huge amount of mats so I don’t bother even trying to grind for it and just enjoy the game. At some point I’ll have all the items required, I don’t mind if that’s in 2 months or in 2 years.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Seems to me that in time the prices will equalise once the system has been ironed out.

But honestly what scares me the most is that the game is just over a month into its life-cycle and there is concern over whether legendaries are available or attainable for everyone.

Yikes.

Posted by: FourthVariety.5463

FourthVariety.5463

As of now, the materials for the Legendary Greatsword Twilight cost 370 Gold. The biggest drivers of the costs being Onyx Lodestones, Ectos and Icy Runestones. Anything else is relatively cheap. I assume a 50/50 chance to get mystic clovers when putting together a recipe for 10.

Agent Noun.7350

Unfortunately, it’s a demand issue, FourthVariety. Twilight and Sunrise are the legendaries that the most people want—they look awesome and they’re greatswords. In comparison, Glacial Lodestones, which you need for Frostfang, only cost a few silver each. They cost less than Glacial Cores.

Ectos are dropping in price pretty quickly right now. No luck with those Icy Runestones, though.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

The reason the prices of those weapons has gone up is probablt because more people are closer to gathering all of the pieces for their legendaries by now and thus there is more demand. It’s just a guess, but I figure that as time goes on, more people will be crafting legendaries so the need for those ingredients will be more in demand and thus more expensive.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Singularity.1486

Singularity.1486

It’s supply and demand

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

I really don’t believe Legendarys are out of anyones reach.
I do, however, believe they are out of the reach of the picky impatient players.

Ask yourself “why do I want a Legendary?”

If the answers “omg so i look sooo cool and everyone will look and point at me and whisper my name with admiration” Then you’ll be dissappointed. Heck, most people will look at someone with a legendary at the moment and automatically think “exploiter”

For me, I’m just playing the game, enjoying myself, and if a legendary precursor drops, it drops and all is good, if not then “meh”, theres still an entire game here for me to play. I’ve already got 492 hours of enjoyment from it, and I can’t see myself stopping at the moment.

So, I’m an average player, but I’m dedicated. I’ll keep playing this game until I’m done with everything, and by then there’ll be new expansions.

I have the gift of battle, I have 30 mystic clovers, 100 obi shards, 40 ecto, 125k karma, 2 gifts of exploration, and up until last night, I had 45g.

What I’ve done, is I’ve not been picky. I do want a legendary, Its the only badge not filled in on my character select, but I’m not fussy about which one. So I’ve bought “Rage” for 30 of my 45 gold. Much better than 300g or so for a greatsword thats massively underpowered for a ranger.

I did want the dreamer for my ranger, but I’ve read it has no footprints (omg end of the world) so I’ve crossed that off my list until broken game is fixed omg. Similarly, the longbow is not really my thing, I know its powerful, but I hate the really slow feeling of its actions.

So, I’ve set out to craft a legendary harpoon gun.

While I gather the rest of the mats and gold I need, if a different uber cool precursor drops, then great, I’ll craft that instead, or maybe sell it for ubergold, if not, then hey, I’ve still had a load of fun in the game and got a legendary harpoon gun.

I’ll just spend the rest of the game hanging out with the Quaggans of Frostgorge sound.

HooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo.

Besides, I really don’t believe these will be the only legendarys in the game. I reckon more will come with future expansions. I’m already saving for my legendary dervish scythe.

(edited by Safari.3021)

Agent Noun.7350

I really don’t believe Legendarys are out of anyones reach.
I do, however, believe they are out of the reach of the picky inpatient players.

This, right here, is the truth.

Well, with the corollary that Dusk and Dawn’s prices are absurd right now, but that’s a complex economic situation having to do with a heady mixture of exploiting, market manipulation, monopolies, and just plain high demand for those two swords, but otherwise yes.

(Sorry, I just have to make sure nobody comes in here and uses those two as examples of why all legendaries are impossible to get.)

Anyway, I plan to just accumulate the things I need for my legendary while playing normally over the next few months. I’m pretty sure that’s what’s intended. I like playing the game, there’s nothing else I intend to spend money or karma on within the game, so I might as well save it (and all the orichalcum and wood I gather, and the rare mats that I find as drops) until I have enough for a legendary.

It’s only going to be a grind if you insist on having a legendary within the next two or three weeks. If you change your expectations to “months,” suddenly you don’t have to grind for hours and hours a day anymore.

Fancy that.

Suddenflame.2601

You’re really trying to argue this point? Skill actually plays a part in FPS games. Once you learn to control the recoil (the rng as you call it) it becomes muscle memory and that’s all there is to it. It’s not even comparable and I’m not sure why you are trying to do so.

You absolutely 100% cannot control the RNG in an mmo. You’re either lucky or you aren’t. And yes, you are right, there are certain aspects of rng in GW2. But as far as the precursor weapon goes there doesn’t have to be.

Recoil is calculated into the RNG dude shoot a machine gun at a wall 1 bullet at a time pulling trigger once every 2 secs i bet you the bullet wont hit the same spot. Thats cause of the RNG not recoil or movement or anything just RNG. Your arguement still fails badly. And i believe there should be RNG for precursors or else everyone would have one cause there is no other method that forces people to play for months or years on end to find the precursor. Also to find legendary stuff in real life took people years what makes you think Anet should just make it so simple for everyone to get? Right now bots have to waste so much to get it that it still makes them rare.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

The whole attitude that “only a small portion of player base deserves to have them” bugs the ever living kitten out of me.

The entire purpose of the pve end game is decking your character out in amazing looking gear. If not then why is the reward for dungeons good looking gear? Why are their achievements tied directly to this? Why are there medals tied directly to that on the character select screen?

And then short sighted people who say “well 300g is fine price, if you can’t afford it go after something else blah blah blah”. They are 300g right now. Not even 2 months after the games release and a very very very gracious 1% of the game population can even come close to that amount. What happens in 6 months when not as many people are playing? When not as many people are buying on the market, when the supply is even less and the demand remains relatively constant? The prices go up up and up.

The simple fact of the matters it that if you play regularly you will never make enough money to compensate for those costs.

There are so many fun ways they could make to get the precursor weapons I just can’t believe people are so stuck on the idea of getting them through RNG or grinding hundreds of hours for gold to buy one on the market. That is as far from legendary as you can get.

You are aware they do drop from monsters as well which is another form of RNG but you dont have to risk constantly in the mystic forge. Good things come to those who wait. Learn some patience dude and dont feel like you should be entitled to a legendary weapon.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Suddenflame.2601

The people who got them legitimately and posted them on reddit had the help of others. That’s the only way “legit” players have obtained them as of right now. I’m not aware of any one legit player getting it 100% on their own.

I know a few people who have legendary and got it 100% on their own.

[GWAM] and [LUST]

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

My question to those that seem to be crying because they can’t buy or grind to make a legendary.

Why do you want the legendary? Is it for the weapon stats or do you want it for the cool look?

Also do you ask the same questions to your government in real life as to why it won’t buy you that fancy sports car because you can’t afford it or won’t grind out the work hours to make the money and buy it yourself?

Just wondering.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances