Legendary weapons should be account bound.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I’ve recently started to run into a very uncomfortable situation in playing GW2, which I think would be fairly easy and painless to address. I think that Legendary weapons should be account bound. Let me provide my reasoning.

The first and most important reason is that this game’s profession system is fantastic, complex, and deep. There are almost an infinite number of possible builds, many of which are quite viable in various parts of the game, and each profession offers a fairly unique and fun play style.

This causes two issues when it comes to legendary weapons.

1. Meta changes, builds change. As the various game types evolve, and as ArenaNet adds new content, the meta of the game changes, and builds often must follow suit. Beyond that, players very often go through a refinement process over a period of months where they learn and adapt and improve their build to match their play style and the meta-game.

It seems very counter-productive to that evolution that one the most challenging single goal in the game – acquiring a legendary weapon – would lock a player into a small subset of possible builds if they want to be able to use what they’ve earned. There’s no reason that a player should have to choose between the awesome reward they’ve achieved, and the build / game play they currently enjoy.

2. Alts – in much the same vein as above… the diverse and deep profession system means that most players have several alts that they enjoy playing…and over time they will have more and more. As you level up and perfect each new character on your account, the things you find fun will change. If someone is enjoying a new character, it’s a difficult and painful choice to put the character with the legendary on the shelf after all that hard work.

Along with the above thoughts, here’s a few other things that came to mind…

Many players will only ever get one legendary. The amount of effort and time involved are fairly huge for most players. If they ever do achieve one legendary, it’s a special and likely unique event in their play. This is a good thing, don’t get me wrong…but it does mean that having that one unique event tied to a single character or build is very restrictive.

ArenaNet recently announced that legendary weapons are going to have selectable stats. This is fantastic, as it does add a bit more flexibility to allow players to change their characters with the times and the meta. Changing the legendary weapons to account bound would follow the same logic to an even better place…allowing further flexibility for the player to play the way they find fun and still make use of all the effort they put in to acquire the weapon.

Thanks for reading.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Although I do understand your concerns, I should also add that in GW1 weapons were customized to your character (for +20% damage, but they became soulbound). So I understand ANet’s approach in GW2 concerning the legendaries..

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I don’t really understand why the mats are account bound but the item isn’t.

I agree that they should be account bound.

Would be awful getting a legendary for your “main” character and later finding out you end up playing a different one instead most of the time and that legendary is going to waste.

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

Would be awful getting a legendary for your “main” character and later finding out you end up playing a different one instead most of the time and that legendary is going to waste.

well you could use a couple of transmutation crystals to drag it over the characters but it will cost you much, is it still possible? And also redditor data mined that something like Un-soulbinding is coming to gem store that will make thing account bound but I think it will become soulbound on other char when you equip it.

Knote.2904

well you could use a couple of transmutation crystals to drag it over the characters but it will cost you much, is it still possible? And also redditor data mined that something like Un-soulbinding is coming to gem store that will make thing account bound but I think it will become soulbound on other char when you equip it.

Oooh that’s nice, something to look forward to.

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

Please teach me.

How can I use transmutation stones to make it account bound?
I have a nice staff I got with Kharma in my main (back when Kharma was char related). If I transmute it into something else, the resulting item will not be soul bound?

Posted by: KingClash.3186

KingClash.3186

Be nice if it was just like the Zenith weapons and you just got the skin whenever you wanted for your account. (after creating it ofc..)

Would much rather have these kind of things in 2 week patches than blotchy 45 second cinematics and tool tip tweaks.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The problem is, Legendary weapons aren’t supposed to be just skins, they supposed to be the best weapons of their type. So workaround like transmuting them really aren’t valid excuses to not make them account-bound.

Also, they shouldn’t even be tradable on the TP. They should be a sign that the wielder has gone through trials, went to the four corners of the world and found every secret Tyria has to offer, made a ton of cash (or farmed their kitten off) and gained the favour of every NPC out there, and thus is finally worthy of wielding a Legendary.

…..there’s nothing legendary about busting out your credit card and throwing money at the TP.

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

Unfortunately some parts of GW2 seems to be skewed towards players that only have a couple of characters.

The legendary weapons, the gem store skins and unbreakable tools, etc.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

they shouldn’t even be tradable on the TP. They should be a sign that the wielder has gone through trials, went to the four corners of the world and found every secret Tyria has to offer, made a ton of cash (or farmed their kitten off) and gained the favour of every NPC out there, and thus is finally worthy of wielding a Legendary.

…..there’s nothing legendary about busting out your credit card and throwing money at the TP.

Agree. +1 to this. I have always thought this. Okay, leave the precursors as sellable but the legendary items should not be able to be bought/sold period…..and once you have one, you should be able to move it to any of your characters (like some of the account bound back items we’ve gotten).

Xae Isareth.1364

Unfortunately some parts of GW2 seems to be skewed towards players that only have a couple of characters.

The gem store skins and un breakable tools I understand, they want you to spend more money. Other gear I understand because it benefits the economy and gearing different characters is quite enjoyable. But Legendaries?

Making 77 clovers is a process that makes people lose their sanity so its neither fun nor enjoyable to make 2 if the same legendary, I doubt many people bust out their credit cards twice to spend £500 or whatever it is to buy a legendary by converting gems to cash, and Legendaries aren’t exactly a common commodity on the TP nor do many people make a living crafting them.

So, what benefits come out of making them Soulbound? Nothing apart from helping people sell multiples of them on whatever the RWT version of EBay is (we totally want that right?).

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Knote.2904

The problem is, Legendary weapons aren’t supposed to be just skins, they supposed to be the best weapons of their type. So workaround like transmuting them really aren’t valid excuses to not make them account-bound.

Also, they shouldn’t even be tradable on the TP. They should be a sign that the wielder has gone through trials, went to the four corners of the world and found every secret Tyria has to offer, made a ton of cash (or farmed their kitten off) and gained the favour of every NPC out there, and thus is finally worthy of wielding a Legendary.

Um, no they’re not, they’re just skins.

Because they never a weapon tier beyond exotic.

Xae Isareth.1364

Legendaries will have stats sets which you can edit outside of battle, and will be scaled to Ascended level once those come out.

Source: article on what’s coming up in 2013 from Anet.

So clearly they are intended to be used as actual weapons.

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

I suppose un-soulbinding for money is one way to do it…but I don’t think we should really have to pay for something like that with a legendary weapon. The materials to create a legendary were changed to account-bound because ArenaNet acknowledges that the task is big enough to require all your characters’ efforts working together. It was an account-wide quest in my case…with all of my characters contributing in different ways. For that reason, all of my characters should be able to share the reward, as well.

I can’t think of any downside…any way that an account-bound legendary would hurt anything. The upside is obvious. Considering so many of the newer reward systems are available to the whole account (which is the way it should be, for the reasons I outlined above), they should bring legendaries along and make them account-bound as well.

Posted by: Swoo.5079

Swoo.5079

The gem store skins and un breakable tools I understand, they want you to spend more money. Other gear I understand because it benefits the economy and gearing different characters is quite enjoyable. But Legendaries?

For me it ends up being not buying any skins or tools since I would only get ~1/10 of the usage, opposed to the several costumes I bought in GW1.

But I guess they are doing the most profitable one.

Ascended items are Anet biggest mistake and a kneejerk reaction.

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Anet read this…….sell tokens on the gem store to unsoulbind gear(gear that is not soulbound on acquire). You would make a killing on real life cash as people love to switch gear around on toons. Of course like I said this would only apply to an item that was not soulbound on acquire like legendaries. Stuff like dungeon armor wouldn’t apply since they are soulbound on acquire.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

You had me at the first sentence. Legendary weapons should all be account bound upon creation. No clue what to do about the 90%+ of legendaries in game that have been bought already – as it stands, there’s nothing special about it – you either ground till your fingers bled, got insanely lucky, or stole daddy’s credit card. (yes, I know, some of you used your own credit card! Whee!)

The way Legendary weapons have been worked into the game so far, there will never be anything special about them. At least, not for me.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Um, no they’re not, they’re just skins.

Because they never a weapon tier beyond exotic.

They are skins now but that is going to change. Being able to switch stats on them is one thing and when more ascended gear comes out (we only have trinkets now) they already said they would match ascended weapon stats.

But just that ability to switch stats on them makes them more than just a skin.

Still, they should’ve never been able to be sold or traded. Funny enough if GW2 is in the end a game of skins, then this definitely qualifies as pay to win

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Legendaries are soul-bound for one simple reason: it forces players to pay a minimum of 100gold straight up in order to get another one. That’s a month’s fee cash-wise if you were to buy gems.
It’s all about the money people, no other reason.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I would really like to see legendarys account bound so i can use sunrise on my warrior my guardian my mesmer or my ranger.

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

This has been disscused so many times, but Anet wont say anything about it… I totally agree, and i think we should keep this one alive, until Anet sees it and replies

g e o.2589

Please teach me.

I have a nice staff I got with Kharma in my main (back when Kharma was char related). If I transmute it into something else, the resulting item will not be soul bound?

If you transmutate it to a white item bought form a vendor, the junkiest thing of all the gear, it will become account-bound. As the white rarity gear has no soul binding it will become account bound, dunno how it is now but i have moved lot of stuff like that before.

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Please teach me.

If you transmutate it to a white item bought form a vendor, the junkiest thing of all the gear, it will become account-bound. As the white rarity gear has no soul binding it will become account bound, dunno how it is now but i have moved lot of stuff like that before.

problem is, it loses its “legendary” status when you transmute back into an exotic, when the new weapons are rolled out it will act as a “skin” and therefore it wont be upgraded to ascended!

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

champ.7021

actually i think they are making the new upgrades to address the fact that people transmute weapons to get different stats.
Transmuted legendary for stats = transmuted legendary for character change
Im pretty sure transmuted legendarys will be upgraded.

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

legendaries should be like zenith weapons, once you make one, any character of your can take it, but it should still remain a level 80 weapon.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Yeah legendaries should be account bound!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Although I do understand your concerns, I should also add that in GW1 weapons were customized to your character (for +20% damage, but they became soulbound). So I understand ANet’s approach in GW2 concerning the legendaries..

I would prefer this approach for weapons in GW2. Have all weapons be unbound unless customized to a specific character (gaining a damage boost).

g e o.2589

Please teach me.

problem is, it loses its “legendary” status when you transmute back into an exotic, when the new weapons are rolled out it will act as a “skin” and therefore it wont be upgraded to ascended!

No i got a friend who dragged his sunrsie between 3 characters, it is still legendary with full effects and purple name.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

IMO, the less things bound to either character or account the better. I’ve always despised the bind system, and love seeing more and more items that are barterable.

It’s silly to think that just because I make something amazing, that it suddenly attaches itself to my body like superglue, unable to be removed by any means other than invasive surgery! :-P If I’m a crafter who takes pride in my craft, then I’m going to want to sell and/or give away to others that which I have made.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

As they were before. Reason they aren’t now is? Incites people to buy gems and buy them off TP. This is how anet rolls and don’t even dream about legendaries going back acc bound.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Aside some quest reward or bonus packs, every single weapon in GW1 was tradeable.

I could use a sword for 3 years, use it across different characters and when i get bored of it sell to someone else. Same for every other weapon with, as said, very few exceptions.

The “soulbound 20% dmg” was a totally optional thing. Pay a small fee and bound the weapon in exchange of that buff.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: JESPER.5610

JESPER.5610

So if legendaries will aquire stats of ascended weapons how will it work for someone who transmuted lege into white and then exo to make it account bound? Does it still appears as a legendary weapon same as original one?

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

In my opinion, legendaries should not be made account bound unless ascended gear is made account bound as well as some of the more complex skins.

Also, unless you hear otherwise, no not transmute your legendary. If may losing it’s ability to be upgraded to ascended.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: vizups.3824

vizups.3824

Ascended Trinkets should be Account Bound too , it’s so dumb that u have to farm it for like 8 Chars again and again!

Posted by: aeneq.1760

aeneq.1760

So anyone tried the transmute to white trick and have any feedback on whether the reverse transmutation gives the legendary back?

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

Legendaries should be ACCOUNT BOUND ON ACQUIRE, and SOULBOUND ON EQUIP. end of story.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Spartacus.7903

Spartacus.7903

That would be really great, not only for the appearance, i made a legendary for my mesmer some months ago, but now they hit even harder would be awesome if i could use it with my warrior aswell.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I personally find the idea of soulbound equipment to be fairly silly period. Once I put on a shirt, it’s not like it becomes unwearable by everyone else in the world.

It’s one of those MMO things that I’ve never understood. Why is it so kittening important that once a character uses a piece of equipment that it can NEVER be used by anyone else ever again?

(EDIT: I actually TYPED out “kittening” rather than a vulgar word, completely without thinking about it. I’ve been on these forums TOO long.)

Spartacus.7903

Haha yea i agree with you, there are no advantages of making legendarys soulbound instead of wasting another 6 months for a legendary lol

Posted by: Trajan.4953

Trajan.4953

OP,

Well thought out and well written post. I agree.

CCCP….

champ.7021

Haha yea i agree with you, there are no advantages of making legendarys soulbound instead of wasting another 6 months for a legendary lol

im guessing u main a necro…

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

They should also be usable in s/tpvp!

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

So anyone tried the transmute to white trick and have any feedback on whether the reverse transmutation gives the legendary back?

This is what I did:

(1) transmute with a blue or white item — taking stats from the blue or white item. this gives an account-bound item with the legendary skin and crappy stats
(2) use a transmutation splitter — this returns the legendary and the blue/white skin above — both accountbound rather than soulbound

This worked immediately after transmutation splitters were released; I’d guess it still does.

Transmutation alone would, I think, give you an item with the legendary skin — but without the ability to change stats when out of combat; you need the splitters as well.

I think it’d be better to make legendaries account-bound (or account-bound on equip), period — but transmutation stone + splitter let you do this for cash, and its something I’d want to do rarely enough that it seemed an OK solution.

(I’m sort of happy now that legendaries aren’t account bound — I’m not sure I want to play anymore, so I bought a pre that seemed reasonable (no luck with the mystic forge, despite throwing thousands of rares & hundreds of exotics at it), crafted a second legendary, and gave it to a friend who’ll get more use out of it than I think I would have. I suppose if legendaries were account-bound, I’d just have given the stacks of T6 mats, & helped farming the dungeon tokens … but it was fun to be able to do all of it.)

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

They should also be usable in s/tpvp!

Yes this would be nice , also the account bound idea is not bad even though the new trans splitters basically do it for you .. with a cost

play hard , go pro.

Spartacus.7903

I tried 2 mins ago :

Transmute legendary with a blue item = still soul bound
Used a Transmutation splitter on it = still soul bound

Same with Vision of the mists = account bound ._. !

Result : Wasted 30g for nothing

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

I tried 2 mins ago :

Transmute legendary with a blue item = still soul bound
Used a Transmutation splitter on it = still soul bound

Same with Vision of the mists = account bound ._. !

Result : Wasted 30g for nothing

why did you do it on blue ? haven’t tried it myself but the other poster said you should do it on white….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Spartacus.7903

Well i heard white or blue and i thought there would’nt be any difference.
You might be right but i won’t try it again right now, gotta get some gold for transmutation splitter again ^^
But i will try it again cause gold is only gold

Btw i tried it before with the vision of the mists with a blue one and it was working thats why i was wondering it wasn’t working for my legendary

(edited by Spartacus.7903)

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

Well i heard white or blue and i thought there would’nt be any difference.
You might be right but i won’t try it again right now, gotta get some gold for transmutation splitter again ^^
But i will try it again cause gold is only gold

Btw i tried it before with the vision of the mists with a blue one and it was working thats why i was wondering it wasn’t working for my legendary

I just tried it with a white item. After the transmutation the legendary with the white items stats was account bound, but when i split them it returned the legendary as soul bound, and the white item as account bound.

Posted by: MEK.8526

MEK.8526

I so agree with legendaries getting account bound! Personally it would be quite an achievement and milestone for me if I would get my legendary, sunrise.

Please keep this post active so that a dev might come and shares our thoughts!

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

they shouldn’t even be tradable on the TP. They should be a sign that the wielder has gone through trials, went to the four corners of the world and found every secret Tyria has to offer, made a ton of cash (or farmed their kitten off) and gained the favour of every NPC out there, and thus is finally worthy of wielding a Legendary.

Agree. +1 to this. I have always thought this. Okay, leave the precursors as sellable but the legendary items should not be able to be bought/sold period…..and once you have one, you should be able to move it to any of your characters (like some of the account bound back items we’ve gotten).

I +1 your +1, sir. Account bound, not soulbound. Buy pre, but not able to buy legendary.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)