Lending money to a friend? best way?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

So here’s the story – a friend has almost got his legendary up – only needs about 500 gold to go to get his precursor.
I’ve decided to lend him the money so he can go ahead and make it faster but I’ve heard of a lot of issues where people got their accounts blocked at least for a while if they send large amounts of gold to other players.

I was hoping to avoid all that since I really I really need my daily crafts done in order to get my ascended gear.

So what would be the safest way to do it? Mail it? Guild bank ? Any suggestions?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Guild bank, if and ONLY if there’s no way someone else could step in and swipe the gold during the transfer.

Might have to make a small, personal guild to do it safely. Assuming neither of you has such a guild.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, transferring through the Guild bank is no guarantee, either, as I was ‘permanently banned’ for RMT when I loaned money that way. Thankfully, after many emails back and forth, I convinced Support I was not a gold-seller. On the other hand, many people have loaned money with no ill consequences.

I guess it’s kind of an RNG thing.

Harper.4173

I’ve just bought the precursor and will send it to him. seems to be the safest way.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That is the safest, I’d agree. But you said it’s a loan. So you’ll need to find a way for him to safely pay you back. Maybe in installments over time? Or he could buy a similarly valued item on the TP and send it to you for you to list for sale?

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

I’m in the same situation. I’ll send my real-life friend required materials(8-9x 250 stacks t6 + some more stones etc.) and precursor for legendary weapon. He is currently playing at another server due to his guild. Can I send these materials safely to him via in game mail, or is it assumed as illegal activity? (won’t send gold, only 100 gold for required icy runestones)
Which way should I prefer to send these mats to my friend on another server? Can an arenanet employee give information to us about these situations?

Harper.4173

That is the safest, I’d agree. But you said it’s a loan. So you’ll need to find a way for him to safely pay you back. Maybe in installments over time? Or he could buy a similarly valued item on the TP and send it to you for you to list for sale?

That’s how we’ll do it – small installments over a long period of time.

It would be nice to see an official response to this issue. A lot of people just want to help friends out and being banned ( even if for a short period of time) for it is sort of problematic. Especially with the daily gated content that requires you to play every day so you can get your craft/world bosses/ fotm/ dungeons /etc.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Mail is the only way to send the items. It’s cross server, that makes no difference. I’d be surprised if one could get in trouble for sending mats, beyond the suppression for too much messaging if you send them too quickly. (That seriously needs toning down, when I can’t send pretty dyes to three different guildies without a five minute wait, something’s wrong).

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It’s really sad that Anet is so draconian in their methods that honest players actually fear being kind to others.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

Someone suggested once that mail can be safe but include an explanation in the mail. Literally like you are expecting someone from ANet to read the mail you send to your friend. The more personal information and details you include the better.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Not buy mail, they’ll flag you and prob ban you for gold selling for sending that amount given others got banned (and had to contact support to get unbanned) for sending less than that.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

what id do is simply state it in the mail.
“hello, here is the money you requested to loan from me, please pay back at the first convenience

gl and hf"

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

It’s really sad that Anet is so draconian in their methods that honest players actually fear being kind to others.

I’m afraid its a case of thousands of players spread across all MMOs who support RMT, the spams, the scams, the stolen accounts and everything else that comes with it by buying from the suppliers.

Its up to us gamers, namely MMO players, to spread a negative stigma about RMT. In the meantime, developers are required to maintain damage control to prevent the game from being overrun with bots.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.