Less outfits, more armors.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheAngryDuckling.5481

TheAngryDuckling.5481

I really like a lot of these outfits that anet is putting out. But i’m not buying them because I really can’t customize them that much. I like having my own unique look, and I would love to incorporate certain parts of these outfits in to my armor looks, but I can’kittens all or nothing with outfits and that just turns me off to them.

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

Yeah, this gets said a lot, but it needs to be constantly repeated to ANet. Although, I don’t think they’ll ever stop with outfits.
I would have bought so many outfits if they were armors, but because I can’t just use their individual pieces, I haven’t.
I’ve bought two outfits, and honestly, I regret it. Meanwhile I still use my Kryta and Aetherblade and Viper armor pieces quite often.
At the very least, I’d like to be able to hide outfit gloves, shoulders and boots.
Or maybe, if the chest and leggings need to be kept together, allow us to swap head, glove, shoulders and boots between outfits and use armor pieces in those slots too.

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Yeah, this gets said a lot, but it needs to be constantly repeated to ANet. Although, I don’t think they’ll ever stop with outfits.
I would have bought so many outfits if they were armors, but because I can’t just use their individual pieces, I haven’t.
I’ve bought two outfits, and honestly, I regret it. Meanwhile I still use my Kryta and Aetherblade and Viper armor pieces quite often.
At the very least, I’d like to be able to hide outfit gloves, shoulders and boots.
Or maybe, if the chest and leggings need to be kept together, allow us to swap head, glove, shoulders and boots between outfits and use armor pieces in those slots too.

Same here lol

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

Their answer to this is that it takes too much time to make armors. Outfits are only a fraction of the time, so they focus on those, and armors will only be released with expansions from what I have gathered.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I feel the same. I do like some outfits, but not more than I like customising my looks.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

People have been asking for this for a while (myself included). Anet has just blatantly ignored us & keep pumping out stupid outfits instead of letting us actually look the way we want…

Posted by: Gray.9041

Gray.9041

agreed

Posted by: Omega Zoa.3859

Omega Zoa.3859

Their answer to this is that it takes too much time to make armors. Outfits are only a fraction of the time, so they focus on those, and armors will only be released with expansions from what I have gathered.

But think of the profits, i know for a fact WAY more people will buy armor skins, if they invest the time to make outfits into skins more people will buy said skins. Sure people buy outfits, but that number will increase if only they were skins.

“Might makes Right” – the ability to commit an act is sufficient justification to do it.

Gray.9041

But think of the profits, i know for a fact WAY more people will buy armor skins, if they invest the time to make outfits into skins more people will buy said skins. Sure people buy outfits, but that number will increase if only they were skins.

it’s the same with a lot of things. I know I’d happily pay for a number of the BLTC skins, but I wouldn’t be caught dead paying for keys – especially since they’re locked behind RNG

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

People have been asking for this for a while (myself included). Anet has just blatantly ignored us & keep pumping out stupid outfits instead of letting us actually look the way we want…

Does ‘blatantly ignored’ mean hasn’t provide what some want? Because the Devs have commented on the issue multiple times.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

Yeah, this gets said a lot, but it needs to be constantly repeated to ANet.

Their answer has remained the same for years. People like to earn armor pieces in the game. Players did not like how the gemstore was releasing armor only. So, Anet decided outfits would be for the gemstore and have a drawback. Not being able to have individual pieces of armor. Yes, you can say they made armor pieces in the past but that was before they made that announcement of the gemstore being for outfits.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They haven’t blatantly ignored you, they’ve stated their position repeatedly, first time over two years ago. Most recently a couple of weeks ago in the living story AMA on reddit from MO.

Armor sets are by far the most expensive reward we can make. A full set includes heavy, medium, light, times five races, times two sexes, so it’s like developing 30 sets. It takes nine months to develop. (That’s for a normal armor set — legendary is much longer.) It’s not something we can do for Living World episodes. Individual pieces are good rewards for Living World episodes; full sets are more something for expansion packs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/4uqx15/out_of_the_shadows_devs_here_ask_us_anything/d5s52tj

Doesn’t mean they won’t release armor piece meal, helm here, gloves there but full sets of armor, aren’t coming to the TP anymore.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Iris Ng.9845

Iris Ng.9845

Maybe minor opinion here but I like both armors and outfits. I’m an avid practitioner of GW2 fashion but I don’t own all the skins yet. I still have 3-4 more sets of gem store armor skins I choose not to buy because I don’t see any potential usage. So I’m against the idea of ANet wastes a lot of resource to design and develop something that ends up not suit everyone’s taste.

On the other hand, for whatever best interest Anet continues releasing outfits. If they are pretty and original, I’ll gladly buy them. Even after the novelty wears off (usually 2 weeks), I don’t regret buying outfits. They are still useful for when I make a new armor set and can’t decide about its fashion. I’m also fond of the special occasion outfits for guild events and celebration.

Having said that, I welcome the input of both armors and outfits. Whenever I can support the gem store, I will. Guild Wars 2 is an amazing game. I don’t see outfit release as a reason to detract myself from enjoying the game to the point of boycotting it.

“Raids are like fortune cookies. You eat the cookie and then read the paper scraps.”

- doranduck, 2016 on Lore in Raids

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

How many years did it take to develop the dungeon sets?

According to that quote, it would have been 3 years.

ArenaNet REALLY has to improve their tools for armour making.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Armor, like new legendary weapons, was deemed too much effort for the return. Outfits, like glider skins, are easier and cheaper to mass produce. Ergo, the more resource-intensive armor skins were dropped in favor of the more profitable outfits. Sad, but that’s the way it is.

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

Quality over quantity. I’d rather have a couple armor sets instead of a dozen outfits. Also, that nine months time frame is ridiculous. Some part of the process is taking longer than it should.
And, 30 sets? Human, Sylvari and Norn can use basically the same set. Asura and Charr don’t need different sets for male and female. There, I just reduced it to 12 sets. Nine, if you have Human, Sylvari and Norn use the same set for male and female because, why not?
Of course making armor is hard and takes time. If it is too much of a hassle, then maybe that is something that should have been discussed while developing a game where a primary part of endgame is cosmetics.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

The whole outfit thing was a dumb idea. It’s what they did in GW1, but it wasn’t as big a deal in GW1 because GW1 in many respects was not a true MMO. The town clothes should have been adapted as original pieces. It’s just laziness, frankly.

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Aren’t there tons of armor skins? Beat me for it, but i actually like outfits.
I would still keep buying them if they were better customizable. Hide/show helmet, shoulders, boots, color channels per piece, and, ofc, settings saved per outfit.
Until then Anet may keep their new outfits.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Quality over quantity. I’d rather have a couple armor sets instead of a dozen outfits. Also, that nine months time frame is ridiculous. Some part of the process is taking longer than it should.

Have you designed, implemented, and tested armor before? If not, how do you know?

And, 30 sets? Human, Sylvari and Norn can use basically the same set. Asura and Charr don’t need different sets for male and female. There, I just reduced it to 12 sets. Nine, if you have Human, Sylvari and Norn use the same set for male and female because, why not?

Just because they are similar, does not mean that they are the same. You’re purposely reducing the variability that most armor sets have between races, weights, and genders in order to back up your argument which is just misleading.

Of course making armor is hard and takes time. If it is too much of a hassle, then maybe that is something that should have been discussed while developing a game where a primary part of endgame is cosmetics.

It’s a trade off. They only have so many artists and there are other areas to invest their time in that provides more benefit to players than a few armor sets would.

Gray.9041

Have you designed, implemented, and tested armor before? If not, how do you know?

simple maths.

if it takes 9 months for an armour sets, then guild wars 2 could not possibly have developed more than 12 or so armour sets since development began. there are blatantly more than 12 armour sets in game.

the statement itself is either false or far too vague. does it take 9 months total time? 9 months of doing 1 hour a day? how many people? how much of their time? is this with a dedicated armour team? is the modelling done by someone assigned to the armour team, or are modelers independent of teams?

either way, the flat 9 month figure is not and cannot be accurate, unless Anet’s figured out time travel.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

simple maths.

if it takes 9 months for an armour sets, then guild wars 2 could not possibly have developed more than 12 or so armour sets since development began. there are blatantly more than 12 armour sets in game.

the statement itself is either false or far too vague. does it take 9 months total time? 9 months of doing 1 hour a day? how many people? how much of their time? is this with a dedicated armour team? is the modelling done by someone assigned to the armour team, or are modelers independent of teams?

either way, the flat 9 month figure is not and cannot be accurate, unless Anet’s figured out time travel.

It’s just vague for the reasons you stated. I doubt that a team starts on developing an armor set from concept to the final tested product without interruptions and focusing solely on that task without doing other projects. This happens in the business world so there’s little reason to not expect the same in game development.

Doing the maths is misleading also for what you stated. We don’t know the variables and conditions. So using the number of armor sets available at launch compared to now won’t give you accurate results.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And don’t forget, the game’s development started in 2007. During that time a whole lot of assets are developed. The “new” armor sets we got in the first year were likely already in the pipeline being developed but once LS started to take hold, those dev artists got assigned other assets to create.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes