Let Ascended Weapon Replace Precursors

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Slightly crazy idea, but since Ascended weapons are supposed to “bridge the gap” between legendaries and exotics AND since people want craftable precursors and all that jazz, how about making precursors ascended weapons that can be crafted.

Or rather let ascended weapons replace precursors in the Legendary “recipe”.

Something like that. 2 birds 1 stone.

Precursors would still be that “luck” factor to let you finish the legendary faster.

Edit : Here’s an updated idea.

Recipe : Ascended Weapon + 3 other mats = Account Bound/Ascended version of a precursor.

The 3 other mats could either just be more expensive mats that in total make this craftable precursor worth about 500g or so.

Or the 3 other mats could be account bound items that you have to earn through a bunch of difficulty content so it’s like an actual “quest” and isn’t just as simple as tossing gold at it.

Then you would have a nice flow :

1.) Hit 80
2.) Buy Exotic (and use it til you get mats for your Ascended Weapon)
3.) Craft Ascended Weapon (and use it til you get the 3 other mats for precursor)
4.) Craft Asc. Precursor (and use it til you get mats for legendary)
5.) Craft Legendary

Now you have a nice flow from exotic to ascended to precursor to legendary…. It’s not about making it cheaper or easier to get, but it’s much less infuriating and is more rewarding this way and has a nice flow.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: Aldred.9345

Aldred.9345

I like it.

Legendaries would still take a lot of time/money to create even if the precursor was easier to obtain. I can’t see them implementing this though, unfortunately. :| More likely they’ll leave things as they are with legendaries. Maybe keep telling us they’re working on that scavenger hunt idea for precursors. I’m sure it’ll be along anytime now. :P

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

now this I agree with simply because of the lack of action taken against all those people who exploited the queens treasure during the island event, one of the biggest contributors to the ever increasing prices in the TP since headstart.

It would eliminate the need for them and take them right out of the market for any real gold and it would make those who did that exploit pay for breaking the economy the way they have for months now.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I completely agree! Unfortunately, Anet doesn’t take many “good” suggestions and implement them into the game. I’ve seen some absolutely fantastic suggestions for content that were never even considered an option by Anet.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: boredinbc.2786

boredinbc.2786

Stop making sense. Good ideas are a ban-able offense.

Knote.2904

I completely agree! Unfortunately, Anet doesn’t take many “good” suggestions and implement them into the game. I’ve seen some absolutely fantastic suggestions for content that were never even considered an option by Anet.

I know there’s probably like a 0.001% chance they’ll even read this, a 0.00001% chance they’ll even consider it, and a 0.0000000000001% it’ll even happen, but the opportunity showed itself (new ascended weapon crafting) and I figured I’d post it anyway.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

It might help if this suggestion was put in the Suggestions forum.

Just a tip.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

A powerful idea, given the main complaint is the rng factor involved

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

At this point, I’d take just about anything that doesn’t involve grinding away for 6 months to earn the 800+ gold I’m going to need just for The Legend.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Knote.2904

Just a tip.

Really? I figured it would get way more support and have a much higher chance of being seen here instead of drowned in a sea of small suggestions and ignored.

At this point, I’d take just about anything that doesn’t involve grinding away for 6 months to earn the 800+ gold I’m going to need just for The Legend.

I did the math for myself actually and I would need 1051g just for the mats for BiFrost at current prices, that’s more than the precursor lol.

It would probably be a lot less hassle to just save up 1700g and buy it outright, not very legendary though is it?

Blaine Tog.8304

I did the math for myself actually and I would need 1051g just for the mats for BiFrost at current prices, that’s more than the precursor lol.

It would probably be a lot less hassle to just save up 1700g and buy it outright, not very legendary though is it?

I actually bought most of the mats I need just before the announcement, though I’m hoping the currently-ridiculous prices on everything goes down after the market re-stabilizes.

But yeah, the fewer things I have to buy, the better. I decided to go for The Bifrost because it looks awesome and I wanted to have fun working towards it. Champ farming for hours because it’s the only way I can get enough gold to afford the rest of the stuff I need is about as far from “fun” as I could imagine in this game. Maybe flipping or dumping Exotics into the Mystic Toilet would be even less fun, but that’s just about it.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Just a tip.

Really? I figured it would get way more support and have a much higher chance of being seen here instead of drowned in a sea of small suggestions and ignored.

Devs don’t usually respond to suggestions at all, probably for legal reasons. It doesn’t mean they are ignored, however.

Given the similarity between crafting an Ascended weapon and gathering the materials, gifts and so on for forging a Legendary, I suspect that the new method for creating a precursor will be pretty much the same as an Ascended. In fact it’s likely that it will involve new Ascended precursors, if not entirely new Legendaries.

This will allow them to go in a different direction without messing with the system already in place. For example, new precursors could be account bound upon crafting, eliminating both the RNG and TP problems. Much like crafting an Ascended weapon, if you take on the task of creating such a precursor it will be because you intend to forge a Legendary weapon for yourself, not to sell.

New Legendaries could likewise be account bound, so you can pass them along to an alt but not to another player. This would restore some prestige to them because while some materials could be bought on the TP, a great deal of time and effort must be put into the process by the player carrying the precursor/Legendary weapon, not just a lot of gold.

This is just speculation on my part, but it seems to me that this new process may be an experiment to test the new method of crafting a precursor.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

It sounds attractive since you’ll be able to get your legendary. Everyone will get their legendary. In fact so many people will have a legendary we can rename it to common.

Everyone wants to shortcut the legendary process because they feel entitled to get one but really nobody should be entitled to a legendary weapon after doing a bit of crafting.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

It sounds attractive since you’ll be able to get your legendary. Everyone will get their legendary. In fact so many people will have a legendary we can rename it to common.

Everyone wants to shortcut the legendary process because they feel entitled to get one but really nobody should be entitled to a legendary weapon after doing a bit of crafting.

LOL you didn’t read up on the process to create Ascended weapons, did you? Pretty much the only difference between Legendary/Ascended methods is that Ascended doesn’t require 100% map completion, but it does require a few hundred gold worth of mats to craft your way up to 500 before you begin to craft an Ascended weapon.

(edited by tolunart.2095)

Posted by: Missy.7356

Missy.7356

Whats so legendary about them now? Since most of the owners ran the easiest path of dungeons, got portalled up the EB jump puzzle, ran in karma trains in Old Orr and farmed what ever the meta was at the time or got lucky at the Karka giveaway, so lets not pretend that those are more worthy of a “Legendary” than an alternative way to obtain. (unless ofc your one of those trying to sell pre’s on the TP)

Btw I wouldnt bother crafting one either but that my principals of the current progression.

Knote.2904

It was never legendary to begin with……..

You can drop $550 and get it instantly.

Blaine Tog.8304

I’m not opposed to working for my Legendary. I just want the journey to be something other than “Tag 10,000 zergged champions, buy.” Something fun. Because that’s what we were promised: a journey that’s actually fun.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

One of the concepts I initially liked about WoW was their legendary weapons were the result of long quest chains that frequently included difficult accomplishments to obtain.

I would have liked to have seen GW2 attempt something similar with their legendaries… but then I remember that Blizzard turned legendary weapons into RNG drops by Burning Crusade for a reason… and probably why GW2 went the same route.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Knowing them they’ll make something completely unreasonable. Think of the 100 jorbreakers.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

The precursor should have been the reward at the end of doing everything, mapping, dungeons and storyline. Then you should have got to choose a soulbound on acquire weapon and go hunting stuff to upgrade it. The actual Legendary should have automatically been soulbound on acquire too, as with the greatest it can ONLY be made by the user.

As it is the things are bits of gaudy tat which can be bought and thus anyone with a large enough wallet can visit the TP and get one instantly.

Posted by: zencow.3651

zencow.3651

Knowing them they’ll make something completely unreasonable. Think of the 100 jorbreakers.

Or trying to craft Mjolnir :P

Quasi-elitist dungeoneer and missing Gw1 GvGs greatly.
“GW2’s PvE is almost as bad as the PvP.”

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

The actual Legendary should have automatically been soulbound on acquire too, as with the greatest it can ONLY be made by the user.

if its made by the user and not the character it should be account bound and not salable. But thats a different topic.

Anyways +1 on the idea. They wont do it though, because…… No idea but they wont do it

And omg ur right mjolnir is ridiculous. It looks so great but ive only ever seen one person with it. Def should be a legendary or at least ascended.

Posted by: koolmutt.9827

koolmutt.9827

So basically everyone craft a precursor within the time-gated 2 weeks? And instead of dozens of legendaries in every corner, we see everyone run around with multiple ones?

No thanks. Worst idea I’ve ever heard, no wonder devs don’t take these suggestions seriously.

koolmutt.9827

If they ever implemented an idea to make precursors readily available to everyone, they better compensate by making it require 2x the rest of the mats. I don’t understand why everyone has this casual mentality that everyone is entitled to walking around with multiple legendaries? Where’s the fun of seeing 50 twilights standing around near the bank instead of the 5 or more that we already do?

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I think the price of precursors would be fine at around 200-350g. The prices theyre at right now are ridiculous. I thought by craftable precursors they were going to make them cost about 200 and i think thats fairly reasonable. Also the price thing wouldnt be so bad if they were account bound. 1900g for a weapon thats soulbound, No ty

koolmutt.9827

There would be absolutely nothing legendary about it if you could get a precursor for 200g, and if it was readily accountbound for all characters.

Posted by: Serious.6940

Serious.6940

So basically everyone craft a precursor within the time-gated 2 weeks? And instead of dozens of legendaries in every corner, we see everyone run around with multiple ones?

No thanks. Worst idea I’ve ever heard, no wonder devs don’t take these suggestions seriously.

In a couple of years everyone that wants one will have a legendary anyway I know of someone who already has 6 and another who has just done their second.

As to the price. There is at least one precursor available relatively cheaply, the trident Venom. Few want it because they can’t show it off in LA, same as with the other underwater legendaries

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

There would be absolutely nothing legendary about it if you could get a precursor for 200g, and if it was readily accountbound for all characters.

There was a time when you actually could get a precursor for 200g. There are other skins that help players stand out that don’t involve going the legendary route. With Ascended weapons coming into play it’s likely that players will just go with those instead. So you don’t really have to worry about legendaries becoming too common.

koolmutt.9827

People who make an ascended weapon would opt to keep that instead of using their excess karma/badges/dung tokens on just finishing a legendary?

Don’t kid yourself, this idea is terrible and anet would lose a large portion of their playerbase if there was no value to their endgame gear.

Posted by: wizix.2468

wizix.2468

i strongly disagree.

i dont have legendary yet and i’ve been playing since release.
im about 25% on my legendary journey and im having troubles with the mats and i dont have the precursor yet .
but this is a Legendary weapon its not meant to be for everyone because if you make the process easier and everyone starting to get it ,you wont feel special equipping it.
now a big part of why its hard is the precursor so if u make the precursor easier to obtain then GG.

Knote.2904

Here’s an updated idea.

Recipe : Ascended Weapon + 3 other mats = Account Bound/Ascended version of a precursor.

The 3 other mats could either just be more expensive mats that in total make this craftable precursor worth about 500g or so.

Or the 3 other mats could be account bound items that you have to earn through a bunch of difficulty content so it’s like an actual “quest” and isn’t just as simple as tossing gold at it.

Then you would have a nice flow :

1.) Hit 80
2.) Buy Exotic (and use it til you get mats for your Ascended Weapon)
3.) Craft Ascended Weapon (and use it til you get the 3 other mats for precursor)
4.) Craft Asc. Precursor (and use it til you get mats for legendary)
5.) Craft Legendary

Now you have a nice flow from exotic to ascended to precursor to legendary…. It’s not about making it cheaper or easier to get, but it’s much less infuriating and is more rewarding this way and has a nice flow.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

If this happens and we can find people easily to map x zone with their lfg tool i may just spend all my money and get the useless legendary, its not like there’s anything worth spending your money on.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Knote.2904

If this happens and we can find people easily to map x zone with their lfg tool i may just spend all my money and get the useless legendary, its not like there’s anything worth spending your money on.

I’ve been thinking the same thing lol.

I’m very stingy (I like to say resourceful) so it’s hard to just let go of my precious monies though lol.

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

LOL you didn’t read up on the process to create Ascended weapons, did you? Pretty much the only difference between Legendary/Ascended methods is that Ascended doesn’t require 100% map completion, but it does require a few hundred gold worth of mats to craft your way up to 500 before you begin to craft an Ascended weapon.

This.. this is just so very, very wrong. Really, go take a look at just the Gift of Fortune and calculate the price of that… let alone the Icy Runestones, Lodestones, precursor, etc you might need. No one knows exactly what it’s going to cost to get to 500 crafting (which along the way you’ll be gathering/crafting the mats you do need for your Ascended weapon so you won’t just be beginning then) but you’re being hyperbolic about ascended crafting and then clueless when it comes to legendary weapon crafting.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Considering that the ascended weapons seem to require some insane grind, i’d rather have an option of ignoring them and skipping directly to legendary.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November