Let's discuss new weapon skills.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Let’s discuss the possible addition of new weapon skills.

As someone with multiple “mains”, I’m spending an equal amount of time on each of my characters. Each is built in a way so that it plays in a completely different style than the next. I don’t switch weapons around on my characters as a means of enforcing this disparity in play style. And this has worked wonderfully at keeping things fresh. Any time I feel one character getting a bit repetitive I simply switch to another.

But if this game is going to last the seven+ years the original has, eventually the same five weapon skills on a given character are going to get old. So I’m wondering how, if at all, new weapon skills will, or even if they should, be added to the game. Possibilities are entirely new weapons (i.e. two-handed axes, crossbows, etc), customizable weapon skills, or some kind of “capture” system akin to Guild Wars’ elite skill capturing system.

If it’s going to be new weapons, what kind of problems is that going to create regarding traits? Are they going to have two-handed axes share traits with greatswords and crossbow traits share with longbows? Are they going to add entirely new traits? If so, where are they going to put them?

If they add customizable weapon skills, will that allow us to change the function of a weapon? Will it be possible to change a warrior’s sword from a condition weapon to a direct damage one? Will it be possible to make an elementalist’s staff more of a single-target weapon instead of an area of effect weapon?

And if we’re allowed to change the function of our weapons, will everything become homogenized? And how can PvP balance be maintained? In PvP, if you see a warrior with a greatsword, you know exactly what his weapon skills are. But if he’s allowed to change them, “know thy enemy” becomes less of a strength.

The last possibility I mentioned is some kind of capture system. I can envision us purchasing a Signet of Capture for a sum of silver (or gold) and a hefty sum of skill points. I don’t know if it would be better to a implement entirely new weapon skills to be captured, or if we used the signet to capture weapon skills used by other professions. Either way, it would allow for some small measure by which we could tailor our weapon skills to our desired play style. It would also open up another level of theorycrafting and meta builds.

So, what are you thoughts on the subject? Do you think they should implement new weapons skills at some point in the game’s future? If so, how do you think they should go about doing so?

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I don’t necessarily want new skills, I want skill runes like D3, i.e. you add an effect you want to all existing skills choosing from a pool of mods.
I find that system more in-depth than a simple “many skills” system, also easier to balance.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

New weapon skills could come in sets of 5 skills. A whole alternative weapon set.

Anet would have to make sure the original weapon skills are balanced first. Then alternative weapon set can be balanced with the original weapon set.

Posted by: piitb.7635

piitb.7635

Variety is the spice of life.

I want new weapon types. (Great axe and crossbow come to mind immediately)

I want the ability to change the weapon skills we already have, either through augmentation of current skills or the ability to earn new weapon skills through the use of certain weapons.

I want to be able to go out and find exotic utility and elite skills like in GW1.

I want the ability to tinker with weapon builds outside of traits.

I want to be rewarded for sticking to one weapon type over another after months of play.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I don’t necessarily want new skills, I want skill runes like D3, i.e. you add an effect you want to all existing skills choosing from a pool of mods.
I find that system more in-depth than a simple “many skills” system, also easier to balance.

I think it’s the animations that would get old.

To me I may like one type of weapon, but hate the way the skills work on it.

Posted by: kineticdamage.6279

kineticdamage.6279

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

As stated above, there are a number of threads already discussing this issue. Please feel free to join then and provide us with feedback that we can forward to the team.

Thanks for your understanding. This thread is closed.