Let's look at mechanics

Let's look at mechanics

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

For the game to progress, bad mechanics need to be removed.
The game keeps halting progress with mechanics that serve no purpose other than making players’ progress difficult. This must be changed. The following are mechanics that I believe serve no purpose other than stopping players from having fun.

Story Mode Requirement
This serves no purpose. I will never do story mode for any dungeon, and I know many players who wont. Not only that, you want me to do it on every character? Everybody around is already skipping this. “LFG Need Opener”. Someone else with Dungeon Master is going to open the dungeon for us anyway. People are just disbanding groups and kicking each other until they find someone who can open, they are not going to do story mode to unlock the dungeon unless you buff the reward for story mode. Cant this mechanic simply be removed and giving us access to explorable mode when we reach the required level?

Contested Waypoint and Locked Dungeons
I understand the concept of Contested Waypoints to stop players from mindlessly reviving and going back to the event. However, locked dungeons serves no purpose. Everyone will just ask someone in party to Guest to another server who has it open. If nobody can open, the group just breaks up and find others who can. This just isnt fun, we want to do the dungeon, we dont want to do the pre-event. While we are at it, why 2 Guests passes per day?

Soulbound Equipment
Why not make everything Account Bound instead? This makes the game really alt-unfriendly. If you get a dungeon-only sigil on the character that is running the dungeon, it is Soulbound on Acquire, meaning you cannot even use it on a different character. Account Bound equipment already exist in the game, such as Ancient Karka Shell. Another issue is deleted characters, if you placed a Soulbound Equipment in your Bank, none of your other characters can ever take it out. Arenanet already took the first step towards removing Soulbound Equipment with Infinite Gathering Tools, why not just do the rest?

Characterbound Dyes
Specially with the new gemstore dyes, this is a daunting task to get the right colors for your characters. I want to make a Warrior with the same colors as my Guardian, but getting the same dyes I currently have on my main would cost 300+ gold. This is just for dyes alone. Half a precusor worth of dyes. Just estimating this makes me immediately give up on making a Warrior, which means I will not be buying Gemstore Armor for my nevermade Warrior, along with so many more items(Transmutation Crystals, Makeover Kits) that I will never buy from the gemstore. This reduces your profit and my fun. How about we both benefit from this instead?

Unique
This mechanic alone has caused more grief to players than any other out there. I can have Ring of Red Death and Ring of Red Death(Infused) equipped at the same time anyway… This mechanic has caused more work for your support team to fix than any other. Is this mechanic’s sole purpose to provide work for your support team so you can claim to have good customer service? At least 1 person in map chat complains about having bought the wrong ring every week. What is the purpose of this mechanic really?

Please only discuss the purpose of each of the above mechanics, and the reason for them to exist.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Ren.5842

Ren.5842

Totally agree on the dyes – given that they’re so expensive, and that our characters already share a bank and all currencies, this really should be shared too.

On the contested waypoints, yep they’re a pain in the kitten , but they’re meant to be. It’s to encourage players to fight to save these areas – it’s one of the consequences of letting things go to seed. For that reason I say keep em.

On the soulbound vs accountbound thing, it’s not a major issue to me. The bigger issue imo is all the junk we pick up that we can’t TP or do anything with. I’ve got 40 mystery tonics and a load of boosters which I’ll never, ever use, but I don’t want to destroy em because they cost me money (chest keys) so please let me sell them – even if it’s as vendor trash!

Leader of Varshen, a BDO Guild
www.varshen.com

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Question, if someone wanted to, could they not simply grief the kitten out of these new mega boss events? Isn’t grief prevention something that they spent so much time working on?

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

The dyes were account bound at first. They changed them to character bound right before launch.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

The dyes were account bound at first. They changed them to character bound right before launch.

wait the dyes are character bound O_O..I had no idea. That’s ridiculous,
So if you unlock a dye, it’s only on that character? Cruddy.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: FloXun.1456

FloXun.1456

Let me be entirely honest here, the things you listed are not really problems that need immediate fixing.
There are other areas which need more reworks/fixes than the issues you listed.
One area of the game I’d like to see a rework in, are the dungeons.

For example, stacking is still a viable tactic in most boss encounters.
A reason for people to stack is because the boss fight otherwise requires more time, and is more difficult. ArenaNet should remove the ability to stack, but not without resolving the underlying issue, why people are stacking the boss. The boss should be looked at and be tweaked.

Another example would be the difficulty between dungeons;
Ascalonian Catacombs, for example, has almost every of it’s three explorable paths run, while Caudecus’s Manor’s explorable paths are run far less, due to it being more difficult.
A sollution could be, to make path 1 the most easy path (with the lowest daily reward), and 3 the most difficult one (with the highest daily reward).
Path 1 of every dungeon would be the same diffuculty, and so on for every other path (Path 2 of every dungeon being the medium difficulty, and path 3 being the most difficulty). In terms of daily reward, it would be ideal if 2x path 1 would require the same amount of time, and would give the same amount in a daily reward, as 1x path 3.

(edited by FloXun.1456)

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: leila.7962

leila.7962

Unique
This mechanic alone has caused more grief to players than any other out there. I can have Ring of Red Death and Ring of Red Death(Infused) equipped at the same time anyway… This mechanic has caused more work for your support team to fix than any other. Is this mechanic’s sole purpose to provide work for your support team so you can claim to have good customer service? At least 1 person in map chat complains about having bought the wrong ring every week. What is the purpose of this mechanic really?

Please only discuss the purpose of each of the above mechanics, and the reason for them to exist.

reason behind it it’s because of the offensive infusion slot .. being OP with versatile mighty infusions isn’t for everyone cause its pricy to make them right now.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Versatile_Mighty_Infusion

goes on offensive or defensive unique’s slots..

but making these:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mighty_Infusion

that only goes on offensive slots are way cheaper..
meaning most players would be able to get 4 regular mighty infusions easily and maybe work on a regular defensive one for the 2 defensive slots or spend a lottttt to get the last 2 versatile offensive infusions..

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: leila.7962

leila.7962

Story Mode Requirement
This serves no purpose. I will never do story mode for any dungeon, and I know many players who wont. Not only that, you want me to do it on every character? Everybody around is already skipping this. “LFG Need Opener”. Someone else with Dungeon Master is going to open the dungeon for us anyway. People are just disbanding groups and kicking each other until they find someone who can open, they are not going to do story mode to unlock the dungeon unless you buff the reward for story mode. Cant this mechanic simply be removed and giving us access to explorable mode when we reach the required level?

I’m quite sure this is for people that likes the lore? Also to give new players some idea of what they will find on the explorable modes (for beginners). If everyone shared this thought of not doing story modes, no one would do explorable too..

Soulbound Equipment
Why not make everything Account Bound instead? This makes the game really alt-unfriendly. If you get a dungeon-only sigil on the character that is running the dungeon, it is Soulbound on Acquire, meaning you cannot even use it on a different character. Account Bound equipment already exist in the game, such as Ancient Karka Shell. Another issue is deleted characters, if you placed a Soulbound Equipment in your Bank, none of your other characters can ever take it out. Arenanet already took the first step towards removing Soulbound Equipment with Infinite Gathering Tools, why not just do the rest?

Then people would farm 1350 tokens for a set and never come back to dungeons or
come to it less often.. since most people use exotic things yet.

Having less people doing dungeons every day, the amount of ectos available on the trading post would be less, also less exotic insignias and inscriptions available (making it harder for those that wanna level up jobs).

Less ectos on TP would make them more expensive, meaning you would have to pay a lot more for something that requires ectos, such as crafted armors/weapons, or legendaries that uses a lot of them..

This would have a huge impact really if things were account bound. Not to mention you’d be bored soon because you’d run out of goals in game faster..

Characterbound Dyes
Specially with the new gemstore dyes, this is a daunting task to get the right colors for your characters. I want to make a Warrior with the same colors as my Guardian, but getting the same dyes I currently have on my main would cost 300+ gold. This is just for dyes alone. Half a precusor worth of dyes. Just estimating this makes me immediately give up on making a Warrior, which means I will not be buying Gemstore Armor for my nevermade Warrior, along with so many more items(Transmutation Crystals, Makeover Kits) that I will never buy from the gemstore. This reduces your profit and my fun. How about we both benefit from this instead?

A lot of people dont buy gems to support the game and keep it running, special dyes on the shop and other things they add there help it to keep running without charging us for monthly fees.. If it was acc wise, they’d earn less money. They offer us some quality service there for something that you only pay once.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

Every one is so spoiled on this whole Dye thing. If you recall in Guild Wars 1 you had to buy a set of dye for each piece of gear. You wanted to dye your Armor black? Well that will be six Black Dye. Want to dye it white, then go back to black? Well that will be six more black dye. Be thankful its “unlockable” at all and that you don’t need one Abyss dye for each piece of gear.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Every one is so spoiled on this whole Dye thing. If you recall in Guild Wars 1 you had to buy a set of dye for each piece of gear. You wanted to dye your Armor black? Well that will be six Black Dye. Want to dye it white, then go back to black? Well that will be six more black dye. Be thankful its “unlockable” at all and that you don’t need one Abyss dye for each piece of gear.

I remember when you didn’t have the option to dye your armor, you got stuck with that ugly purple piece of crap on your Everquest Cleric for ages.

And although it seems very rude or greedy to keep dyes character bound, remember the original concept was to get dye seeds, then time gate them at once per day through the home instance for each dye to be randomly selected and Account Bound if I recall.

I’ll take the Dye Trade over that concept . . .

As for the “Story Mode Lockout”, I wasn’t aware there was such a thing, because I’ve been through CoF Path 1 without doing the story mode for it. A couple times, in fact . . . so long as your leader is able to go in on Exploration Mode, I think you can get dragged along in. Unless that was patched.

Finally, “Unique” should be used more broadly so it is more familiar to players. As it stands, only Ascended rings/trinkets are “Unique”. If there were more things which were, at lower levels, I think it might be easier to understand for people. (Note: This is more a plea for interesting unique items at lower levels.)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

• Story Mode Requirement
  • Contested Waypoint and Locked Dungeons
  • Soulbound Equipment
  • Characterbound Dyes
  • Unique

IMO these are pretty on the money, though I’d add downed state/rally to the list of things that are a net detriment to the game.

I think contested waypoints/locked dungeons should be kept in though, but have far harder events with much longer closed/open times.

downed state is bad for PVP

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

IMO these are pretty on the money, though I’d add downed state/rally to the list of things that are a net detriment to the game.

Give reasons, please? I find it’s actually much more helpful to me . . . much like the addition of “down and dying” in D&D 3.5 and later, versus “0 HP and dead” of earlier.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Personally I like the existence of story mode for dungeons. I detest soulbinding. I am relatively neutral about the rest of the OP

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: possessed.2036

possessed.2036

Game with no voice comms & a 5 man party limit targets content toward COMMUNICATION AND GROUPS OF 150.

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: tornadokicks.3845

tornadokicks.3845

Not sure if this has been brought up yet but-

The ability to use transmutation stones for light, medium and heavy for REAL armor customization.

What happened to the suggestions section?

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Then people would farm 1350 tokens for a set and never come back to dungeons or
come to it less often.. since most people use exotic things yet.

Having less people doing dungeons every day, the amount of ectos available on the trading post would be less, also less exotic insignias and inscriptions available (making it harder for those that wanna level up jobs).

Less ectos on TP would make them more expensive, meaning you would have to pay a lot more for something that requires ectos, such as crafted armors/weapons, or legendaries that uses a lot of them..

This would have a huge impact really if things were account bound. Not to mention you’d be bored soon because you’d run out of goals in game faster..

People don’t run dungeons primarily to gear up their alts anyway. They run dungeons for the gold, loot, and tokens to convert to weapons to either convert to ectos or mystic toilet.

And even if they did and people stopped running dungeons and the price of ecto went up, there’d be some point where the price is high enough where people would run dungeons again in order to get tokens to make ectos to sell.

Dragging out a game so that the player doesn’t run out of goals is a huge cop out for devs. What about making fun content that players want to play multiple times?

Let's look at mechanics

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Soulbound Equipment

The bound on acquire sigils was actually something they said they were going to fix … quite a few months ago. On the other hand the person who said it doesn’t even work at ANet anymore so I have no idea if that is still even a thing.

Oh and all the TA armors are currently like this but not the weapons or upgrades. Including ones that were previously acquired months ago! o_O