Let's talk about Amalgamated Gemstones.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mobott.5908

Mobott.5908

So, Amalgamated Gemstones. Yea, those things which are basically only used for crafting the new Set 2 Legendaries. You need 250 of them per legendary, and they’re going for about 3 and a gold at the time of this posting. Earlier today, there was a bit of a scare as the price jumped up to a whopping 6 gold! While the price has since stabilized, this is still a problem we need to worry about. The orbs/crests/doubloons used to make the gemstones are currently at 30s and rising. One gemstone uses NINE of these orb/crests/doubloons (which, by the way, is WAY too much Mystic Forge clicking for 250 of these things), and because of this, the 250 Crystalline Ingots are the most expensive part of the new legendaries (yes, the ingots add up to be more than the Mystic Tribute). Furthering this problem is that there is no way to reliably farm these materials, unlike most of the other stuff that goes into a legendary.

It’s evident that the Crystalline Ingot was designed to lower the surplus of items that were essentially vendor trash. However, whoever decided this clearly either underestimated how many people would be making the new legendaries, or overestimated how many of these orbs/crests/doubloons were in the economy. Either way, this problem will only get worse as more legendaries are introduced. As more are introduced, the prices on these items will drive the cost of the new legendaries out of anyone’s reach, especially if one of the next ones is a popular one like a greatsword.

It’d be nice if Anet could give us some sort of news on this before it gets even more out of hand.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Remember when they said they’ll be keeping an eye on the economy and certain markets…..

Apparently this wasn’t one they cared about. Enjoy the grind.
Can honestly say after finishing Astralaria, i’m never going after any Gen 2 Legendary again due to step 4’s non-sense.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

So what you’re saying is you are poor?

Understandable.

The 1% doesn’t even care.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

Just created 250 of those gemstones. Totally not fair to the community and a needless goldsink.

Tour

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I am now just about completely broke after completing Nevermore. I scraped every corner of my bank for anything worth anything but I got my shiney. I now have less than 10 gold and two Crystalline Ingots (plus nine black diamonds) as the start of a little nest egg for the next set if we ever see them.

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

It is cheaper to upgrade crystals in the MF. And you get a lot of crystals when you collect mithril ore and elder wood. Or you can just create a buy order, they are between 1.9-2s now.

Posted by: Dirdyy.1648

Dirdyy.1648

Since the start of this game players always come here to complain about the cost of the legendarys.

And every time a little song came up in my mind:

You think the new legendarys are expensive? Forget it.

U need right now 2250 Orbs @ 35 S, for the “old” ones u needed 2000 T6 @ 60S that time.
My first was the Predator and the final cost with the pre were about 2800 Gold.

2800 Gold in 2014 were like 7000 Gold right now.

And why u sure that the other new legendarys need also AG?

Perhaps they need 10000 Silver ore to craft something similar. Or they need 5000 T5 material for example.
We still don t know what JS will have ready for us.

Posted by: Rizekurohi.4398

Rizekurohi.4398

It is cheaper to upgrade crystals in the MF. And you get a lot of crystals when you collect mithril ore and elder wood. Or you can just create a buy order, they are between 1.9-2s now.

l understand you’re trying to help but your information is a little off, It’s a minuscule amount you save doing this because you need incandescent dust which comes in about 5 silver each(you need 5 of them on top of 2 crystals of your choice). And that this process isn’t done through the mytic forge at all, It is transmog’d by d jeweler!

TexZero.7910

Since the start of this game players always come here to complain about the cost of the legendarys.

And every time a little song came up in my mind:

You think the new legendarys are expensive? Forget it.

U need right now 2250 Orbs @ 35 S, for the “old” ones u needed 2000 T6 @ 60S that time.
My first was the Hunter and the final cost with the pre were about 2800 Gold.

2800 Gold in 2014 were like 7000 Gold right now.

And why u sure that the other new legendarys need also AG?

Perhaps they need 10000 Silver ore to craft something similar. Or they need 5000 T5 material for example.
We still don t know what JS will have ready for us.

Oh right the i got mine, so your should be as expensive….

So then since i crafted 4 legendaries pre-HOT (Dreamer, Sunrise, Moot, and Quip) when they all cost around 2900-3000 gold of materials to craft should that mean every legendary going forward should be based on that gold standard because for a group of people complaining about inflated economies you’re really quick to use the inflated standard as proof of value.

Here’s a hint…That’s not how economics works.

Milkshake.4038

l understand you’re trying to help but your information is a little off, It’s a minuscule amount you save doing this because you need incandescent dust which comes in about 5 silver each(you need 5 of them on top of 2 crystals of your choice). And that this process isn’t done through the mytic forge at all, It is transmog’d by d jeweler!

I was talking about putting 4 of them into the MF. I agree that the crafting upgrade is more expensive because of the incandescent dust.

Dirdyy.1648

That s how economics work since 5000 years.

The Empire State Building : 1930 → 41 M. $, 2016 u would need 636 M. $ to build it today.

And the legendarys are the only real high Goldsink for ANET since the start of the game.

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

Legendaries are expensives, always have been, always will be.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Sir Mad.1092

Sir Mad.1092

Why do you think one of the legendaries is called “Nevermore”? :P

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why do you think one of the legendaries is called “Nevermore”? :P

And another called HOPE?

Dirdyy.1648

Abandon all HOPE, you who enter here…..

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

This is one of the best gold sinks designed in the game right now…the person who designed this is a genius. It’s slowly raising all the prices of the lower level gems which have been in the minimum trash bucket price for ages. This is the t4 gems – which are now being converted up to t5 etc. It might be they lower the number of gems required for the amalgamated piece to stop supply drying up completely.

I have some other theory’s on what will happen with the other legendary items:

The legendary back piece requiring 250 FoTM journal books (each book requires 25 pages – max 3/day). You’ve not seen anything like a grind yet.. It will require 2083 days (minimum): About 6 years. It will also require: 250 balls of dark matter, 250 balls of light matter, 250 fractal essence drops (new item only drops from level 75-100 end chests gated behind rng). This way you can be rewarded for your loyalty and dedication to the game.

Don’t even get me started on the legendary armour for one piece:… You’ll need 250 legendary insights, 250 deldrimoor steel/250 elonioan leather/250 bolts of damask. It’s a perfect recipe – then the MF gives you a random piece : 1in 5 chance it will be head, shoulder, chest, leggings or feet. This should keep you playing the game for the next 5 years minimum to get a full set providing the forge gives you on of each type each time.

We have not seen grind yet…but I can think the above would be a really good idea.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

TexZero.7910

The Empire State Building : 1930 -> 41 M. $, 2016 u would need 636 M. $ to build it today.

And the legendarys are the only real high Goldsink for ANET since the start of the game.

1 gold in game = 1g in game

If you haven’t noticed the problem with what your stating…you basing the dollar value which has long been weighted against the worth of gold to something that has no defined weight or value.

Hence your analogy is bunk.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t see the problem. The new legendary’s are completely in line with the price of the old legendary’s. If they somehow reduce the price of gemstones then they will need to raise the price of something else to compensate for the lost cost.

What item would you suggest reducing the drop rate of to compensate? Or do you just want stuff for cheaper than the people willing to actually work for their items?

TexZero.7910

I don’t see the problem. The new legendary’s are completely in line with the price of the old legendary’s. If they somehow reduce the price of gemstones then they will need to raise the price of something else to compensate for the lost cost.

What item would you suggest reducing the drop rate of to compensate? Or do you just want stuff for cheaper than the people willing to actually work for their items?

Except they aren’t in line with the other legendaries as there’s only 1 method of acquisition. The cost being relative to something with multi means of acquisition is a bad design choice.

Granted as stated i’ve completed Astralaria, and what i would change is how horribly backloaded the cost of making the new set of legendaries is. The cost could be better spread out and not require an item that has such a finite market. Having the cost almost entirely dependent on Amalgamated Gemstones was a mistake, not having multiple ways to acquire amalgamated gemstones was an even bigger mistake.

AG’s need to be map rewards, much like any other item used in legendary crafting or be rewards for completing dungeons. You can argue all you want about dungeons, the end result was they only wanted to remove the liquid gold, adding an item to the end of dungeons or purchasable with dungeon tokens retains the only value dungeons has which is to be used to create Legendaries.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I have 4 gen one legendaries and made Nevermore. I was able to fund my gen one legendaries through dungeon grinding. This is no longer an option. Secondly First gen legedary was expensive in regards to gift of fortune. These t6 matts are no longer expensive as they had been.

But you can not compare old t6 Matt prices with current AG prices and say they are equivalent and therefore current prices are justified for AGs.

There are several ways to obtain T6 matts even before HoT. Naturally playing the game, you could eventually obtain 250. Yes that would take time but between that, laurels, and making mystic clovers it wasn’t too bad.

This way in which we can obtain AGs is not comparable to how we obtain (or used to obtain) T6 for gift of fortune. That’s the problem here.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Day Trooper.3605

Day Trooper.3605

I was talking about putting 4 of them into the MF.

How does this work? I’m assuming it must not be a good way to get orbs as otherwise everyone would be doing it and the price of crystals would be much higher, but curious nonetheless.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I checked a few days ago it was around 70g

Posted by: Wasabi Kitty.8247

Wasabi Kitty.8247

The Empire State Building : 1930 -> 41 M. $, 2016 u would need 636 M. $ to build it today.

If you haven’t noticed the problem with what your stating…you basing the dollar value which has long been weighted against the worth of gold to something that has no defined weight or value.

The dollar hasn’t been based on the gold standard for almost a century.

Anet make Rev great again.

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

I was talking about putting 4 of them into the MF.

How does this work? I’m assuming it must not be a good way to get orbs as otherwise everyone would be doing it and the price of crystals would be much higher, but curious nonetheless.

Complete rng. There is a chance to tier up the crystal/medallion to orb crest. If you have a bad luck you will lose the money more than using jeweler.

So I recommend that only use medallion for this //or azurite crystal from fractal.. not sure that thing cost a lot more than normal crystal or not.

Milkshake.4038

Complete rng. There is a chance to tier up the crystal/medallion to orb crest. If you have a bad luck you will lose the money more than using jeweler.

So I recommend that only use medallion for this //or azurite crystal from fractal.. not sure that thing cost a lot more than normal crystal or not.

If you are not sure about it then go and test it with a sample that is big enough. You don’t have to trust me, the wiki or other gw2 sites, you have to trust your own results.

I think less people are doing it because it requires thousands of mouse clicks, crafting is more convenient.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I don’t see a problem. It allowed me to clean out several rows in my storage that I’d filled with orbs bought at merchant price plus one copper years ago. Just to be clear, I didn’t use them to make a silly kitschy weapon, I sold them at a profit of almost 1500%. Many thousands of them.

Milkshake.4038

My eyes hurt. My fingers hurt. I made a small experiment to provide you enough data.

I bought a lot of crystals and a few stacks of hidden trove. I put them all into the MF and here is the result:

- 67 minutes of clicking
- 990 attempts
- 327 promotions to orb/crest (33.03%, it is somehere between 30-35%, I would need 10x more attempts to get a more precise chance)
- a lot of pain
- about 50g profit (could have been 59g, but I sell orbs and gemstones as well, I didn’t want to commit myself to gemstones and orbs are sold faster, btw I am still selling some gemstones, please do not undercut )

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Yep these gemstones are to say it friendly: A very terrible decision.
I hope anet will change them. A whole stack of these shouldn’t cost more than around 300g.

For the arguments some made: sry most are just dumb, here some facts:
1. You need way more grind for the new legendary and they are all together 500-1.000g more expensive than the old ones (if you count the most expensive old ones! Else it’s up to 2.000g more for the new ones). Example if you only craft and buy from TP mats: nevermore = 2.700g, bifrost = 1.600g
(I don’t say that’s bad, but it’s a fact that they are more expensive)
2. Old legendary needed 250 of each t6 mat. Yes and new ones need 200 of each t6 mat AND some stacks t5. Basically all togethet more (expensive mats) than the old legy’s.
3. The amount of time you need for the new precurser collections is way higher than for the old ones! (Not all, but 90% and you could at least just buy the old precursors or get mystic forge lucky)

All together the amalgated gemstones are a good idea to get some worthless mats valuable, but the overall amount for only the amalgated stack is too much and needs desperatly a fix. Probably easiest solutions would be either to decrease the needed amount to 100 or 150, or change the recipe from 9 to 6 or 3 orbs for each gemstone.

It would still be extremly expensive (which is fine overall for a legy), but it would at least fix the current problem.
To remember the main problem is that the gemstones are not a collection, they are part of the HoT pre → legendary uprade. So at the time anet decides to release the other 13 legy’s (which have been announced with HoT…) the amalgated gemstone price will skyrocket in a way that even the first year halloween items never reached.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

If you guys really want a lower price then you should be campaigning to reduce the price of T3-5 dust. There are millions and millions of lower tier crystals that are flooding the market, but they can’t be upgraded because dust is too expensive.

Instead of asking for flat out price nerfs that will never happen in 1000 years, look for the root causes of the prices, in this case, dust, and ask for the drop rate there to be changed.

Of course the devs already know this, which is why radiant dust has dropped 50% in price the last month since its drop rate was adjusted. Now they just need to add another source and do similar things for T3 and 5 dust.

Posted by: Sansarah.3076

Sansarah.3076

How about you craft it like the rest of us who actually have spent this amount? It’s a legendary, it should be hard to get or cost you for creating it.
I don’t want a kitten ton of people running around with the new legendaries simply because they can’t spend the money for it. It should be hard. Otherwise it will simply be like all other legendaries in the game that everyone have.

Posted by: Octaslash.9437

Octaslash.9437

Not gold, it’s oil now.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Not gold, it’s oil now.

No it’s not.

Octaslash.9437

Not gold, it’s oil now.

No it’s not.

Yeah, tell me more about the Petrodollar

Posted by: NikeEU.7690

NikeEU.7690

Not gold, it’s oil now.

No it’s not.

Oil is tied to the dollar, not the other way around. If the dollar strengthens, oil drops. However, if oil drops it doesn’t strengthen a weak dollar except in the most tangential way.

[DnT]::Nike::
www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

So….what I’m hearing from this thread (and a couple others I’ve browsed on this specific topic) is that I should finally do something with these?

Attachments:

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Milkshake.4038

So….what I’m hearing from this thread (and a couple others I’ve browsed on this specific topic) is that I should finally do something with these?

Yes, you can sell them to make a nice profit or you can wait (maybe price will still go up, maybe not).

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yes, you can sell them to make a nice profit or you can wait (maybe price will still go up, maybe not).

I might. Although with my luck, about the time I clean them out, they’ll announce Jeweler 500. XD

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Milkshake.4038

I might. Although with my luck, about the time I clean them out, they’ll announce Jeweler 500. XD

Be more optimistic

Octaslash.9437

Not gold, it’s oil now.

No it’s not.

Oil is tied to the dollar, not the other way around. If the dollar strengthens, oil drops. However, if oil drops it doesn’t strengthen a weak dollar except in the most tangential way.

If countries start buying and selling oil with other currencies, the Dollar will grow weak, demand for dollars will drop, that’s why the USA made a deal with Saudi Arabia and other Middle Eastern countries, if I want to buy oil from Saudi Arabia, I have to convert my Euro’s to Dollars and buy the oil, Saudi Arabia would then have to invest those Dollars in American firms.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

Whats up with these ? Who thought adding orbs, doubloons and crests into the legendary crafting was a good idea ? 2250 of them as well iirc. They’re gonna run out on TP soon lol.
Huh ? Just in a matter of weeks I’ve seen its price go up by 50%.
Surely this is gonna get some attention yes ?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Check back in 3 months.

Posted by: Jethro.9376

Jethro.9376

I can´t wait until the next set of legys. I bet with the GS, Sword and Hammer the prices for iron and platinum ore will skyrocket aswell.

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Each set of released legendaries will drive the prices higher up.

I currently see two easy ways of addressing the issue. One is to make t5 dust a lot more abundant, as it will drop the prices and make upgrading shards to orbs feasible. The other is to allow more things to be turned into gemstones. I would say it would make a nice sink for all those currently undesired rare t5 materials that sell for less than 20c a piece.

Posted by: Nivelis.8763

Nivelis.8763

I know legendaries are expensive. I think most of material cost / recipes for legendary weapons are ok. I think collections for precursors are well designed and all steps and materials work fine.

But this Amalgamated Gemstones??? This is disaster!

There is no way this will end up good in current system. I just sold my 50 AG and gave up making them. The price now is 4-4.2g on market with 3.6-3.7 buy orders. The price on orbs is arround 36-38s, crests 32-33s. You need 9orbs/crests for 1 AG, there is no way their price will drop – you can’t farm them and the lower tiers will rise as chain reaction.

Please look into this

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

They could turn Essences of Time into an orb for example. That item has almost no use at the moment. Not sure how much supply it has, but people still chest farm like crazy.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

I can´t wait until the next set of legys. I bet with the GS, Sword and Hammer the prices for iron and platinum ore will skyrocket aswell.

While it probably will, at least those can be consciously farmed at a halfway reasonable rate. Orbs/crests/doubloons cannot. Players cannot really respond to higher prices by going out of their way to farm them because there really isnt any reliable way to do so.

Posted by: That Guy.5704

That Guy.5704

They could turn Essences of Time into an orb for example. That item has almost no use at the moment. Not sure how much supply it has, but people still chest farm like crazy.

not enough. I have 2 (dont know why I still have them really) and I farmed around 6-7k chests. probably bad luck, but yea.

Posted by: Aphix.9846

Aphix.9846

My problem is that the day I decided to make a new legendary I checked the approximate cost – stack of amalgamated gemstones cost just under 500g if you make them yourself, now they’re 700g++ ? By the time I’m done with precursor and all the pve who knows what the price will be. And no way to farm them. I have hundreds of all sorts of other mats from all the PvE, but only had enough orbs/crests for 10 gemstones after 4-5 months when I came back to GW2.

TexZero.7910

How about you craft it like the rest of us who actually have spent this amount? It’s a legendary, it should be hard to get or cost you for creating it.
I don’t want a kitten ton of people running around with the new legendaries simply because they can’t spend the money for it. It should be hard. Otherwise it will simply be like all other legendaries in the game that everyone have.

Again as someone whose made one already. Try being a bit more objective.
The same i got mine so everyone else should be bent over crowed rearing its head again.

AG’s have a very finite supply, with a limitless demand at the current time. They need desperately to increase the ways to acquire them so that we don’t end up in the Silver Doubloon/Charged Loadstone situation again.

I’ve said my piece on this, and no i don’t believe just fixing the market for dust will solve the issue. I’m firmly on the side of making them tied into dungeons or becoming map rewards.

Posted by: Aldath.1275

Aldath.1275

And people says this game isn’t getting grindy…