Let's talk about Gold.

Let's talk about Gold.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I realized that farming or doing DEs it isn’t an option since after half hour you start getting only trophies/whites.
The money I make doing the above is just enough to pay for waypoint fees.
Harvesting can net you another 40s or so, only once a day, and again this does into repairs, TP fees etc.
Basically what you can get from the entire world of GW2 is enough to pay for gold sinks.

Dungeons is pretty much the only way left to get gold.
I believe Anet is doing this because bots can’t do dungeons, but I believe there should be more ways to get gold than those 8 instances.

As a solution, I’ve seen that some zones are impossible for bots; I.E. the place with flame towers in Fireheart Rise is hard to survive for players, go figure bots.
So why not just make the end zones filled with these towers (perhaps immune to ranged damage? since most bots are rangers) so we can make money without bots exploiting it.

Or is it intended that once 80 you just do dungeons over and over?
I really like if I could make money by doing other things, as in, in the world.
I love Tyria but I get the feeling that I’m locked into a cave to farm dungeons if I want to survive economically.
If it stays like this there is little difference from being locked into a cave to farm better gear that other MMOs have.

GW2 offers many different activities, a lively world filled with awesome.
But realistically, the only one of them that won’t make your bank account red is dungeons.
Unless I’m missing something.

PS: please keep this objective and costructive.
I will report baseless complaints or anything, I want adult debate.

(edited by Red Falcon.8257)

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

1. Crafting/Mystic Forge Crafting

I’m not going to detail specific items that make money, but here are the basics:
-If a product’s price is LESS than the price of raw materials, SELL THE RAW MATERIALS
-If a product’s price is MORE than the price of raw materials, CRAFT, THEN SELL THE PRODUCT

2. Gambling

Not the best way of making money, but you can conceivably purchase 100 unidentified dyes and hope for a rare. for 4gold, the most you’d lose is 1 gold (in theory) and you stand to make more.

3. Harvesting
If you have the time, you can make an alt. The resource nodes are set PER CHARACTER, so you can farm nodes that way. No diminishing returns

4. Big Boss Timers
Some sites are recording when dragons and larger boss fights occur. These can net you some decent rewards, especially if you participate in the pre-events.

5. Playing the game

The game is not about making money. In fact, outside of legendary gear, I don’t think you need to make more than 20-25 gold for each character in their ENTIRE LIVES.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Let's talk about Gold.

Red Falcon.8257

1-2. Gambling is made to lose money not make it, nor it can be considered a reliable way to not go bankrupt.
3. I doubt it is meant that to not go bankrupt you need have to own multiple lvl 80s and harvest with them.
4. Raid boss loot is currently terrible, a single DE in Orr prolly rewards more.
5. As i said, playing the game leads to bankrupt due to excessive gold sinks and the fact you hit DR after 40 min or so and therefore your loots will make less cash than you need to keep paying for gold sinks

Currently, one is either farming dungeons / harvesting brainlessly on many chars, or he is just struggling to pay gold sinks.

This really feels like living in a high-taxes state where your earnings are barely enough to pay for taxes.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Kasoon.3758

Kasoon.3758

I have 12 gold on a level 27 character, all from nothing more than crafting materials.

It’s not hard. All you need to do is save, only spend on things you REALLY want or REALLY need.

The only times I’m ever broke in MMOs is at the very start, it puzzles me so many people have such trouble with money management.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

I made roughly 2-3 gold in an hour at Orr. I never once had to use a waypoint, never once had to pay for repairs, and only sold on the TP. Making money isn’t hard, you all just expect to get legendaries by moving everywhere.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I don’t know how you can say you can only make enough money to pay for gold sinks.

How often are you using way points good lord! At level 70 I’ve got 15g and I used WPs exclusively to get around. 2 hours of playing usually nets around 2g, and that’s NOT including selling the mats I’ve picked up/salvaged.

Do you even sell the crafting mats you pick up? You can make a LOT of money doing that.

And repair bills? Seriously? How often are you dying? I’d have to have a REALLY bad day to spend ~10s in repair bills a day. I make that money back selling vendor trash and blue/green items I don’t use 5x over.

You’re either terrible at this game or are lying about your money issues just to complain.

Maybe don’t WP from one spot to another in the same ZONE unless its completely on the opposite side. Run with your legs! Your legs man! LEEEGGGSSS!

I WP to Lion’s Arch and back a couple of times a day (lets say 3s per hop, 12s or so total, that’s completely reasonable to cover each night and then some).

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Let's talk about Gold.

Red Falcon.8257

Draknar, you offended me a lot and then you said:

At level 70

Ignoring completely that taxes go skyrocket high at lvl 80 (costs are based on level) and your earnings go downhill.
Perhaps, informing yourself before posting?

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

Sorry but you are wrong about DE farm. Yesterday i just did around 7g in 3h doing DE’s. Got 1 exotic drop and lots of rares.

“Dungeons is pretty much the only way left to get gold.” , you are wrong too. When gw2 didnt have DR system, it was a way to farm gold. It isn’t now, until they fix the reward system. It’s so rare to drop yellows in a dungeon.

“Or is it intended that once 80 you just do dungeons over and over?”, you need to find out what to do in this game.

The real Subject of this topic is: “How do i farm” ?
For real.

The real way to make gold in this game is to mine Orichalcum Ore all Days and Farm DE’s.

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by oulivas.9471)

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: LeoDeSol.7604

LeoDeSol.7604

I dont know why everyone keeps running into this farming DR issue. I have farmed for hours, in the same zone, and have never seemed to hit this issue. I do move around a little bit, within the zone, rather than focusing on one enemy type the whole time… this is mainly to keep from getting too bored. I also do any DE I happen upon while farming, so maybe that is why I never seem to hit any DR on fine crafting mats, equipment (white, blue, green, and a occasional yellow), or anything else. Sometimes I am in full magic find, sometimes I wear my Knights gear based on farming level 80s alone, groups at a time.

If DR is so bad, the bots would not be so prolific…

EDIT: I do run arround farming Orr sometimes, but rarely do the Straights or Cursed Shore Karma train runs… I mostly farm in Frostgorge (avoiding troll area though) and do Jormag whenever he pops up.

(edited by LeoDeSol.7604)

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: oulivas.9471

oulivas.9471

I dont know why everyone keeps running into this farming DR issue. I have farmed for hours, in the same zone, and have never seemed to hit this issue. I do move around a little bit, within the zone, rather than focusing on one enemy type the whole time… this is mainly to keep from getting too bored. I also do any DE I happen upon while farming, so maybe that is why I never seem to hit any DR on fine crafting mats, equipment (white, blue, green, and a occasional yellow), or anything else. Sometimes I am in full magic find, sometimes I wear my Knights gear based on farming level 80s alone, groups at a time.

Try that in dungeons. You do a dungeon in 1h to get only40s or less. The thing is, if you waste 1h farming DE, you can get more than 2/3g.

oulivas
Portuguese
Seafarer’s Rest

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: LeoDeSol.7604

LeoDeSol.7604

LeoDeSol.7604:

Try that in dungeons. You do a dungeon in 1h to get only40s or less. The thing is, if you waste 1h farming DE, you can get more than 2/3g.

TBH, I havn’t done tracked it enough to know for sure. However, I tend to leave dungeons with a ton of crafting mats, whites (I salvage), blues, greens to vendor, and occasionally a yellow or even a few yellow to salvage for a chance at Ectos, so I tend to think I trend higher than 40 to 50 silver on dungeons. However, I dont usually run them back to back, so I am not ever hitting a DR either.

Either way, I will 100% agree that farming a zone while doing DEs is more profitable. Hell, if I am doing a zone I have not map cleared combined with killing everything and farming every node, plus doing every DE I see, I can easily see this being 2-3 gold an hour, if not more.. Maybe I need to start keeping track, but gold just doesn’t seem to challenging in this game. Of course, this is coming from someone who hasn’t even started thinking about a Legendary yet…

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I think what you are asking is for 1-2 ways to farm that is both very monetarily effective and not a grind.

However, you are asking for 1-2 things to repeat.

I offered my advice earlier. If that didn’t help, I hope that you find some other method that suits you.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Diminishing Returns is not as bad as you think, you’re not going to get cut off in 30 mins of doing dynamic events unless you’re repeating the same one. I do a lot of them and never ever even once hit any DR whatsoever! (but I dont zerg)

Drops are luck based you might simply getting bad drops because well you werent lucky! Unless you notice a drop in the reward itself I wouldnt think its DR.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

I have 12 gold on a level 27 character, all from nothing more than crafting materials.

It’s not hard. All you need to do is save, only spend on things you REALLY want or REALLY need.

The only times I’m ever broke in MMOs is at the very start, it puzzles me so many people have such trouble with money management.

What is your crafting and craft level? Did you level to 27 by crafting lmao.
I tried farming a bit for mats to upgrade my crafting but I don’t always want to farm mats all the time, I guess I’ma have to, the only thing I can really say that was costy that I bought was my book for traits, I don’t buy anything, ever. I ALMOST have 2 gold and level 30…

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

I made roughly 2-3 gold in an hour at Orr. I never once had to use a waypoint, never once had to pay for repairs, and only sold on the TP. Making money isn’t hard, you all just expect to get legendaries by moving everywhere.

I’m curious as to what you do in Orr to make 2-3 gold in an hour. I would be interested in also trying this.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

silly kids and wanting to horde currency in games. Ok lets say you have the most currnecy in the game..now what? Buy all the top teir items ..ok then what?

And i agree with a comment above..its not hard to get gold on this game. Sell everything thats not a craft mat or a rare. Sell the rares on the tp and profit. Not hard at all. And yes can easly be done doing DE’s as killing mobs allways drop loots.

But if you are looking to make profits of gold by itself this isnt the game. Crafting costs you to much to actualy make gold. Go take a look at the prices of what your crafts even sell for compared to the mats to create it. Its a joke.

Getting gold in this game seems mostly about selling everything you find and slowly build up that silver to get that gold.

(edited by sixfeetunder.6508)

Let's talk about Gold.

Red Falcon.8257

@sixfeet
I never said I want to hoard currency, I’m fine with not going broke just because I wanted to play with my friends around Tyria.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Kasoon.3758

Kasoon.3758

@Rise

I haven’t crafted at all. Leveled by story and DE’s.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Rise.9702

Rise.9702

@Rise

I haven’t crafted at all. Leveled by story and DE’s.

My bad, I saw you said you sold by the Materials FOR crafting.
Then yeah same here. I’ma start trying to sell all these wood/ores now.
I’m about tired of crafting lol.

You sir are a Scholar and Gentlekitten.

Let's talk about Gold.

Red Falcon.8257

If they don’t want to tweak this huge money sink I at least hope we’ll get an item in the cash shop that gives you free WP costs.
Hell sure everyone would buy it.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: Renth.9785

Renth.9785

I just hit 12 oricalchum nodes once a day. It takes about 15 minutes and it gets me about 1-1.5 gold. I don’t spend anywhere near that much now that I have all my gear. Granted, it’d be a pretty slow pace for a legendary, but I’m not really going for one at the moment. You could probably hit these nodes a few times per day if you’re not busy, but I don’t have much free time.

Let's talk about Gold.

Posted by: pandemos.3497

pandemos.3497

It takes me ~30 minutes to get all the orichalcum since I usually stop for events along the way… jormag, etc. Takes 5-6 ports to get all the nodes for that 1-1.5 gold? and the price is rising. So half an hour can cover your travel costs for a whole week… I’m really not seeing the issue, other than resisting the temptation to blow it all on the unidentified dye gambling! Probability for getting Abyss is just too kitten tempting. >.<

It’s not hard to make money in this game, you just have to deversify your methods a bit… or play the TP, which I tried and lost money at just a few days ago. Man those prices fluctuate fast.