Let's talk about crafting speeds

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Lethe.2953

The Lethe.2953

Taken from Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/5q01zg/wtb_something_so_i_can_craft_items_faster/

TL:DR: Please make crafting of basic items like Mithril Ingots, Elder Wood Planks etc faster. A new mastery or just a code update would be very nice ways of resolving that.

The crafting system is hindered with the current design of the game, in particular when it comes to legendary weapons. In short, some items take way longer than they should to craft per item.

Quoting TehAn0mollie:
“Some things take longer than others of the same general type to craft/refine… that’s the fix I want to see.

For example, it’s faster to refine alloy metals than ingots of a pure one (steel ingots actually take less time to craft than iron ingots).

Wood takes longer than any other material to refine. Making pulp and paper is faster than refining a single log into a plank.

Trident pieces in artificer take like 3x longer to make than similar items on any other weapon crafter for no good reason.

These kinds of things getting normalized to the fastest available craft/refinement speed is what I would like.

They were willing to wreck their economy on leather in the name of “normalizing” their crafting system (“cloth” patches) /salt"

Can we get a red post acknowledging that this was seen and mentioned to the teams? I understand this is low hanging fruit but it sure would be a nice quality of life item.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

The crafting speed in this game is pretty much the fastest I’ve ever seen in any game. If we really want to talk about quality of life, we seriously need an update to the mystic forge. It would be nice to convert materials all at once instead of clicking 4 times and waiting for the result.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

It doesn’t take that long unless you decide to start refining hundreds and thousands of mats at the same time. The legendary journeys do require thousands of mats to be refined, but they were designed as a journey, not designed for the people who would do them instantly.

Still though I could get behind 1 of 2 improvements. A core tyria crafting mastery track, one or two of the masteries in it would increase crafting speed by 10-15% (among other things, like chance to automatically salvage leather from lore appropriate animals (basically anything with a hide) when you kill them, chance for harvesting tools to not use up a charge when you gather mats (likely T1 mastery) and stuff like that). Or, the speed cap for every recipe could be raised a bit. I would say that after you have crafted 100 of the same recipe in a row, the speed cap for that recipe would half one more time, essentially cutting in half the amount of time required to refine thousands of mats at once.

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Crafting is something, that needs a complete Redesign…

There are alot of other Games out there, especially Offline RPGs that have much better designed and presentated Crafting Systems, than what GW2 has.

If I should make just 5 changes on the Crafting System right now, that would make the whole system alot better, then it would be these 5 things:

• Remove Recipes completely, the player now unlocks all possible craftable things just via rising up in the now maximum 50 Crafting Ranks. Each rank up will unlock so to say now automatically a bunch of new things for the player that the player will be able to craft from this point on.
    This will essentially reduce the grind for idiotic obsolete recipes instantly from 100% to 0% and will add therefore 100% more quality of life, because players won’t have to make sure first anymore, if they have first a recipe unlocked, before they are able to craft something in this game – all you need to think about then is only – is your Crafting Rank equivalent enough to be able to craft what you want to craft – so all craftable items will have from this moment on just only simple “Crafting Rank Requirements”
    Crafting Ranks get reduced to 1/10th, required crafting Exp for Rank Ups get naturally raised a bit therefore. Crafting Bonus Exp while craftign gets removed. Crafting Boosts get removed, because obsolete…
  • Make it visually more presentative.
    You craftt tons of items in this game, but you never see just for a single second, how eactly you craft your items…all you se is just dumb UI’s that totally overshadow everything. It the whole crafting process is all you see just boring UIs and that is very immersion breaking for a RPG, when such a great part of the game, like the Crafting System is completely UI based and you see nothing, not even little craftign based animations, that even the oldest of the oldest oldschool MMORPGs offer – and whyever GW2 not.
    I would love to see my Character for example standing at a blacksmithery and watching my character, how he creates the sword, with that he will go fight later – similar like in Skyrim..even it its just the same prescripted animations. but just seeing the process of how your character creates something would be such an awesome improvement over what we have now, getting that would totally flash me and I’m sure, I’m not alone with that.
  • Automatic Crafting of required items within the crafting process, if you have enough ressources.
    Currently you must craft every needed item manually and thats annoying.. you want to craft for example a weapon, you have everythign whats needed for it, but the game forces you to craft every single production chain manually, instead of giving you directly the end product – which slows you manually down.
    There should be an option that players could be able to activate to bring the game to craft for you automaticalyl direct the end product, if you have everything thats needed for it either in your inventory or your account chest.
    Why should we wait on having crafted first like 3 items on the way to the end product, if we could get to the end product instantly if we have already everythign that is needed for it within us??? Thats quality of life – wasting not other peoples time, when you have the option to do so…
  • Add a Craft All Units instantly option
    Nothing is more annoying than if you want to craft like 250 units of item x and the game forces you to wait the time, until the idiotic craftign system has crafted every single item of those 250 units for you – the craftign speed is slow as snails and it even bemomores more and more annoying, so more stacks of item x you want to craft…
    Why the hell do we have to wait for 4 years now on such a simple but effective quality of life improvement, like a Craft all units instantly option just to reduce the waste of time from minutes to 0??? Doesn’t get into my head, why something good and simple like that hasn’t been patched into the game already within the first year after Game Release
  • Make Crafting more Multi Character Friendly
    If you reach with 1 Character Max Rank, you should get Bonus Effects on other characters of your account, to make it easier for them to max the ranks quicker and that for every Character of your account, that reaches Max Rank.
    Every maxed Job of a Character should increase the Crafting Exp for crafted items by +10%. Additionally to that should be added a new accountbound Crafting Exp Bonus, like there exist those for normal Exp, Karma, Gold Income, which should you receive for earning AP for +1% Crafting Exp
Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are at least three reasons for crafting speed not getting any faster:

• Human nature: Peopledon’t value things if they are “too easy” — we tend to dismiss the entire process as being unnecessary, i.e. why not allow us to talk to a vendor to instantly refine everything in our inventory.
  • Economic: the longer it takes to make something, the higher the premium that the impatient are willing to pay.
  • Human nature, part 2: to give us “something to do” in between farming.

In other words, forcing a minimum-refining time upon us creates a market for refined goods, keep us busy, and fakes us out psychologically into taking crafting more seriously.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I don’t agree with you on this Illconceived.

There is no need to keep us “artificially busy” with nonsensical gameplay mechanics that exist only to slow us down, not to create any kind of aspects that generate fun for the player or VALUE in fact the TIME OF SAID PLAYER that the player is willing to spent with this game.

With artefiscial progress slowing mechanics that create just grind to coerce impatient players soonr or later into paying real money to make the game fun, because only that way you don#t have to waste alot of time with idiotic mechanics, that could be designed better to provide more quality of life and convenience for the player and just pathetic methods of low budget game developrs that are desperate to make with all kinds of passive ways somehow money with the game, because they just know, that their primary source of money income is JUST TOO WEAK.

a game developer with a strong income of money has it not neccessary to make usage of such cheap game design methods that are used to slow down artefiscially only the player, so that the player base can get milk out – especially the target group of the impatient and those people, that have enough of the rediculous absurd grind mechanics, that add absolutely nothing to the game, that the game in the end becomes more fun.

A game designer, which designs games in first place only just to make money with them, and not games to make in first place fun, is no game designer for me, but just only an economist who puts capitalism over everything else!!

There don’t need to exist such cheap mechanics to slow our progress down, just so that “we have something to do” Thats just a cheap excuse and a self created psychological illusion to deceive the fact, that game designers simply can’t create fast enough enough new real content, before players rushed alreasdy through the existing content and complain for new stuff.

Thats the truth and the only reason alongside money making, why these grind mechanics exist – not to give us something to do.
Because they can do a developer also always with new content and that would be in fact the right way to do it, if it would be just possible for game developers to produce said new content always fast enough – but devs are also just only people which need to eat, to sleep, can get ill, ect pp
There come together so many factors that make it simply impossible for a game such a size like GW2 to be always ahead of the playerbase with real new content, so that there would be no need to artifiscially slow us somewhere down absurdly so that we reach certain points in the game for the devs not too quickly than they can work on new stuff.

I personally would be totally flashed, if Anet could brign my 5 points there into the game, then would be craftign in this game really fun, we woudl have alot more quality of life, wouldn’t waste alot of time with unneccessary grind and processes just to get to a final crafted product…

Just think how much wasted time it is to craft 2500 Ingots of for example Mithil, when you make basically 2 ingots every second.
thats whopping 20 Minutes of time that you need to spent at the crafting station just to get that done, while you can DO NOTHING ELSE, because the moment you leave the crafting station you stop crafting…the game doesn’t craft for you, while you are helping out for example in WvW or while you are beating Mordremoth for the xth time.

A simple Craft everything instantly option would reduced this massive waste of tiem directly to zero and im sure, alot of peopel would be very happy about sich a fuction, espevcially those which craft daily tons of materials like Mithril Ingots and other similar stuff in tons of stacks and spent basicalyl tons of tiem just at the craftign station, while they can#t do meanwhile anythign else.

Do you fnd such impractical systems fun? I definetly not, nor do I find them at all well designed.
A good game designer would have fixed such small things already within the first year after game release!! Because very oftenly it are the very small things. that have a very high impact on quality of life for playera!! Things like this!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I would not mind seeing crafting speeds get tweaked, buffed, standardized… something.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

I would PAY GEMS to have my characters craft faster. But I would NOT pay gems if the item was soulbound. It needs to be an account wide buff since my professions are split across multiple characters.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

MMO’s are time sinks. They exist to waste our time. Crafting is just one such. It’s not likely to change.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Am I the only one who doesn’t mind the crafting speeds? When I refine my maxed out inventory (2k units) of whatever, I get up and take a short break.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

CMM.6712

Am I the only one

Yeah probably are.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Am I the only one who doesn’t mind the crafting speeds? When I refine my maxed out inventory (2k units) of whatever, I get up and take a short break.

1. Set 250 mithril ingots to be crafted
  2. Alt-tab to Chrome
  3. Open bookmark
  4. Recent changes

I’m an addict, and in-game crafting is enabling me. Dark be the days when the wiki is down.

G R E E N E R

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Am I the only one

Yeah probably are.

Nah, I don’t really mind the speed either. It’s very rare that I need to craft enough repetitions of anything that it matters.

I’d like some quality of life improvements, but those are around reducing the number of clicks to craft-on-demand things: basically, the “queue” feature from the various “advanced crafting” mods for other games.

That is, my goal is to make, say, “Yassith’s Viper’s Stabbitator”, so I go to the recipe for it and …

… right now, I click the little magnifying glass beside the first missing component, then the first one in that, and on the third level deep have to craft 15 of something — but I need to remember it was X requires 3 Y which requires 15 Zs to be made.

I’d much prefer to click “make me one of these” on the stabbitator, and have it say "you gonna consume 45 glitter ores, 17 thermofizzles, a pile of glittering dust, and some cotton candy to produce this, shall we — and then just do it in one big shot.

eg: I’m fine with time gating, just don’t make it click-driven. Let me hit “gather” or “craft” once, and then wait until the entire process is finished, end to end. Pressing “gather” four times to gather the guild ore synthesizer is annoying not because of the time it takes, but because I gotta hammer on that button each time I partially complete the process.

CMM.6712

Am I the only one

Yeah probably are.

Nah, I don’t really mind the speed either. It’s very rare that I need to craft enough repetitions of anything that it matters.

I’d like some quality of life improvements, but those are around reducing the number of clicks to craft-on-demand things: basically, the “queue” feature from the various “advanced crafting” mods for other games.

That is, my goal is to make, say, “Yassith’s Viper’s Stabbitator”, so I go to the recipe for it and …

… right now, I click the little magnifying glass beside the first missing component, then the first one in that, and on the third level deep have to craft 15 of something — but I need to remember it was X requires 3 Y which requires 15 Zs to be made.

I’d much prefer to click “make me one of these” on the stabbitator, and have it say "you gonna consume 45 glitter ores, 17 thermofizzles, a pile of glittering dust, and some cotton candy to produce this, shall we — and then just do it in one big shot.

eg: I’m fine with time gating, just don’t make it click-driven. Let me hit “gather” or “craft” once, and then wait until the entire process is finished, end to end. Pressing “gather” four times to gather the guild ore synthesizer is annoying not because of the time it takes, but because I gotta hammer on that button each time I partially complete the process.

I agree with all that you said, and taking it a step further I would like to see a “refine everything” THEN I would be able to actually take that break without coming back to click the next item that needs refinement.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Am I the only one

Yeah probably are.

I agree with all that you said, and taking it a step further I would like to see a “refine everything” THEN I would be able to actually take that break without coming back to click the next item that needs refinement.

FWIW, some things (iron ore, to iron and steel) have more than one production, which makes solving this outside “this end product” an mind-reading-complete problem..

CMM.6712

Am I the only one

Yeah probably are.

FWIW, some things (iron ore, to iron and steel) have more than one production, which makes solving this outside “this end product” an mind-reading-complete problem..

Good point , didn’t consider that at the time.

Then the question becomes how much should it be automated?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I spent maybe 3-4 hours refining last night but I understand that I’m in the very small minority of players. While it would be nice to refine materials faster, I don’t see it being a pressing issue over other things that they could do that would have a greater impact on players.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m all for improvements to MF crafting but I never felt standard crafting was slow or annoying. I guess it depends on how much raw/intermediate mats you have to process but if you doing something in bulk like that it should take some amount of time to make.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: weiown.5473

weiown.5473

I’ve noticed the variation too. I really do want to see the crafting speeds improved. It gets downright painful making some of the essential items that we need in HUGE quantities.