Let the night be nighttime! ( QoL)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I totally agree on the night being a little darker but if it was realistic darker. I’ve played on some games. Thief series (about to be ruined by Thief 4 – The Moron Age). Going full dark would be making a massive element of the game prone to to thieving and Anet would have to overhaul a lot, lets face it. If they made the nights darker without allowing thiefs to be thiefs. It would make thiefs laughable as agents of the night.

If they had thought of or could be bothered doing things like this from the start……

But we have SAB to compensate so fear not.

Either that or ANet would admit to the profession being wrongly named and should hae been named “Mugger!”

(edited by Paul.4081)

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

I totally agree on the night being a little darker but if it was realistic darker. I’ve played on some games. Thief series (about to be ruined by Thief 4 – The Moron Age). Going full dark would be making a massive element of the game prone to to thieving and Anet would have to overhaul a lot, lets face it. If they made the nights darker without allowing thiefs to be thiefs. It would make thiefs laughable as agents of the night.

If they had thought of or could be bothered doing things like this from the start……

But we have SAB to compensate so fear not.

Either that or ANet would admit to the profession being wrongly named and should hae been named “Mugger!”

I’m gonna say it once again. This should be optional. So ANet don’t have to care about how much you can see, you can turn your screen black and they still don’t have to care since it was your own choice to turn the night for you that dark.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

It should be kept in mind that environmental game lighting consists of numerous light ‘objects’ as well as larger ambient light areas, all with individual settings of hue/saturation/brightness/radius etc. and scripted behavior. A second optional lighting setup would require a duplicate of all environmental lights to exist in game. While a good idea it might not be feasible from a technical standpoint.

I’d be more than happy if they just simply made the nights globally darker and more dramatic for everyone.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Another issue is what prevents players from simply setting their gamma and brightness beyond the maximum of what is allowed?

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Why are people saying slightly darker nights would affect WvW?

Do you all play with enemy names turned off? Can you not see the super pure RED color of enemy names? How can any semi sighted person miss the huge RED names over everyones head in WvW?

Am I missing something here or are all of you playing WvW with names off? In what mmo ever has a slightly darker night affected WvW? There are HUGE RED NAMES above people.

I feel like I just stepped into crazy town.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I personally want nights to be dark. Where you need a torch or other light source to see well.

No sliders. Mandatory for every one. No use adding a new mechanic to the game and allowing people to simply ignore it.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

RadeonPro is your friend. Seriously. It takes this game to the next level graphics wise. My night times are dark and vivid and my day times are bright and brilliant.

Posted by: honeyjars.6590

honeyjars.6590

I do think it would add more interesting gameplay if it wasn’t an optional tickbox, so ‘night-raids’ could be an actual thing in WvW and nighttime exploring would be much more imersive in PvE.

I’ve also had this idea rattling around for sometime about making the condition ‘Blind’ actually do just that; temporarily darken or even blacken the screen (except UI) for the duration of the condition. Sort of like what they did with Liadri and the Toxic Alliance ‘nightmares’. But that’s a bit off-topic and maybe I’ll make a thread about it myself someday.

I get that condition all the time. I call it “D*mn cat I can’t see the screen, get out of the way!”

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m all for a darker night or a night slider to make things darker. Heck, one of my favorite parts of the game is the black room in the obsidian sanctum.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Grimmrich.9516

Grimmrich.9516

I cast my vote for darker nights!

Just to think of Orr in a night-time thunderstorm like in the video that was posted here…mmmm

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I would love dark nights too, with shadows and torchlight.

Make it dark- night should feel different from day, you should feel small and the world should feel big and menacing.

the only way I can tell if it is night now is when my glow comes on as a Sylvari- it is a case of- oh glowing, must be night then

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Zebulous.2934

Zebulous.2934

I would like the nights to be darker. I also have trouble telling if it is night time, unless I am playing my sylvari character.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Hope they check how Skyrim implemented the nighttime cycle.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

I’m just imagining zerg vs. zerg in that situation – either extremely intense or outright impossible. There’s your fix for the current zerg meta right there.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Do you all play with enemy names turned off? Can you not see the super pure RED color of enemy names? How can any semi sighted person miss the huge RED names over everyones head in WvW?

Am I missing something here or are all of you playing WvW with names off? In what mmo ever has a slightly darker night affected WvW? There are HUGE RED NAMES above people.

So what you’re saying is that ultimately it would be a waste the developers time and resources to bother with it?

#TeamJadeQuarry

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

It should be kept in mind that environmental game lighting consists of numerous light ‘objects’ as well as larger ambient light areas, all with individual settings of hue/saturation/brightness/radius etc. and scripted behavior. A second optional lighting setup would require a duplicate of all environmental lights to exist in game. While a good idea it might not be feasible from a technical standpoint.

I’d be more than happy if they just simply made the nights globally darker and more dramatic for everyone.

There are 2 huge enviromental lights.
The first one is a white light which lights up the day enviroment.
The second one is a blue light which lights up the enviroment at night times.
Just simply give us the control over the brightness of this blue light and it’s done.

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

I’ve edited my initial post to sum up the discussion going on until now.
If I’ve forgotten any major things, please feel free to correct me.

VOLKON.1290

You left out that sliders would be a waste of time because people will, by nature, set things to be the most advantageous. Even those that try the slider initially will soon set it back once the disadvantage bites them in the butt. So disregard the slider, it’s a silly idea.

Greater darkness at night should be simply universal. No gimmicks, no sliders. What could be interesting is if in WvW you coupled the added darkness with a reduced distance in which you can see the enemy nameplates. Suddenly the night would actually mean more in WvW. (This wouldn’t work with sliders, btw… you can see the enemies at a great distance even before you see nameplates.)

What would ultimately be needed to be decided is how much darker should it be? Pitch black? No, too much for this game. Dark enough to reduce vision to the limits of the minimap perhaps? That’s interesting there… maybe half the minimap? Twice?

No sliders, universal darkness level, reduce nameplate visibility in proportion to darkness level… this could prove to be rather interesting.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Option for an night sladder and invisible animals footsteps tha leads to a secret cave or barried under the WvWvW snow some extra server points :P

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

You left out that sliders would be a waste of time because people will, by nature, set things to be the most advantageous. Even those that try the slider initially will soon set it back once the disadvantage bites them in the butt. So disregard the slider, it’s a silly idea.

Greater darkness at night should be simply universal. No gimmicks, no sliders. What could be interesting is if in WvW you coupled the added darkness with a reduced distance in which you can see the enemy nameplates. Suddenly the night would actually mean more in WvW. (This wouldn’t work with sliders, btw… you can see the enemies at a great distance even before you see nameplates.)

What would ultimately be needed to be decided is how much darker should it be? Pitch black? No, too much for this game. Dark enough to reduce vision to the limits of the minimap perhaps? That’s interesting there… maybe half the minimap? Twice?

No sliders, universal darkness level, reduce nameplate visibility in proportion to darkness level… this could prove to be rather interesting.

Me myself, as dedicated PvE player would use this all the time.
A slider, where you can adjust the percentage brightness may be over the top, but it wouldn’t be gamebreaking or hard to implement.

You talk about a gamechanging update, I just talk about a QoL uptdate

VOLKON.1290

A slider, where you can adjust the percentage brightness may be over the top, but it wouldn’t be gamebreaking or hard to implement.

Something like this, in order to not be effectively a waste of time, should have some actual impact in the game if implemented. Just allowing a slider and the option to make it darker means that it would be rarely used, and not at all in WvW, so there’s no actual benefit to the vast majority. However implementing it universally in a balanced way can have much greater benefits as mentioned in the possible WvW scenario above. Right now we agree that night really doesn’t mean anything in the game. Most of the time I don’t even realize it’s night.

But you know what would mean something? Phasing the moon and adjusting darkness to the phase of the moon. Full moon would be as bright as it is now, new moon would be considerably darker (but not so dark as to hamper play significantly). Then you could even do more than have crickets chirp at night… you could have mobs spawn that only spawn during a certain level of darkness. Extra nasty creatures of the darkness with unique drops would be a wonderful addition to the concept. A little greater risk, a little greater reward. On the WvW side you could see groups waiting to try a golum rush under cover of darkness. Small yet sneaky groups of players would be able really strut their stuff then.

Make it universal, then build off it.

#TeamJadeQuarry

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Something like this, in order to not be effectively a waste of time, should have some actual impact in the game if implemented. Just allowing a slider and the option to make it darker means that it would be rarely used, and not at all in WvW, so there’s no actual benefit to the vast majority. However implementing it universally in a balanced way can have much greater benefits as mentioned in the possible WvW scenario above. Right now we agree that night really doesn’t mean anything in the game. Most of the time I don’t even realize it’s night.

But you know what would mean something? Phasing the moon and adjusting darkness to the phase of the moon. Full moon would be as bright as it is now, new moon would be considerably darker (but not so dark as to hamper play significantly). Then you could even do more than have crickets chirp at night… you could have mobs spawn that only spawn during a certain level of darkness. Extra nasty creatures of the darkness with unique drops would be a wonderful addition to the concept. A little greater risk, a little greater reward. On the WvW side you could see groups waiting to try a golum rush under cover of darkness. Small yet sneaky groups of players would be able really strut their stuff then.

Make it universal, then build off it.

Everything thats making this game look nicer isn’t wasted.
Also, like I said, it wouldn’t be too hard to implement and, like you can see at this threat, there is a huge demand.

Your suggestion is gamechanging, therefore it has to be balanced and tested.

VOLKON.1290

Also, like I said, it wouldn’t be too hard to implement and, like you can see at this threat, there is a huge demand.

I… I didn’t realize you were threatening me.

Kidding, of course. It would be wasted (imo) because it wouldn’t be used except by maybe a handful of people, and it’s questionable if they’d keep it full time.

Yes, my concept would have to be balanced and tested (as would any changes to be honest). However you have to admit… it does open the door for more types of content to be added to the game. Why only change the darkness when you can also do so in a way that livens the game up with potentially new mobs, new events that kick off in the night, new strategies in WvW, etc?

If there’s a change to be made, why limit it in a way that doesn’t allow for potential growth, as sliders would? If you’re going to go for it, go for it with gusto and make it matter!

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

It’s night in the Applied Development Lab, we got a wonderful sky full of stars…
… and an awful bright forecourt.

Just to visualize the problem.

I would love it if all of Tyria had a night sky like that.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Kidding, of course. It would be wasted (imo) because it wouldn’t be used except by maybe a handful of people, and it’s questionable if they’d keep it full time.

Yes, my concept would have to be balanced and tested (as would any changes to be honest). However you have to admit… it does open the door for more types of content to be added to the game. Why only change the darkness when you can also do so in a way that livens the game up with potentially new mobs, new events that kick off in the night, new strategies in WvW, etc?

If there’s a change to be made, why limit it in a way that doesn’t allow for potential growth, as sliders would? If you’re going to go for it, go for it with gusto and make it matter!

Thats your OWN opinion, thats fine, but don’t generalize.
To me and and many others, its not wasted.
You can think whatever you want but don’t blunder with stating it would be wasted.

VOLKON.1290

You can think whatever you want but don’t blunder with stating it would be wasted.

Nice way to dodge the other points, but regardless, of course it would be wasted. The vast majority of players (and no one in WvW) would deliberately disadvantage themselves. A slider fails the cost/benefit sniff test most stinkily.

#TeamJadeQuarry

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Nice way to dodge the other points, but regardless, of course it would be wasted. The vast majority of players (and no one in WvW) would deliberately disadvantage themselves. A slider fails the cost/benefit sniff test most stinkily.

Seriously, who other than you have said, this idea would be wasted?
And how many have already said on this threat that they would appreciate such a slider?
You still think, just because you said it would be wasted, and just because it would not affect the gameplay, you would be right.

Hint, you’re not.

VOLKON.1290

Seriously, who other than you have said, this idea would be wasted?
And how many have already said on this threat that they would appreciate such a slider?
You still think, just because you said it would be wasted, and just because it would not affect the gameplay, you would be right.

Hint, you’re not.

Your expertise at missing the point is most impressive, I’ll give you that. That, and your belief that slapping a slider in there and it’s magically darker is such a simple thing to code. (Let’s consider as well the coding, testing, etc. for day/night and night/day transitions and having that look smooth for every setting on the slider, …)

You also haven’t allowed for people that would consider a slider on first thought to consider going with a system that provides for far greater depth then just a slider would allow. So, to flesh that out for anyone still bothering to read this thread:

• Changes to darkness are universal.
  • Changes to darkness scale with the phase of the moon. Full moon same as now, new moon considerably darker (but not excessively so).
  • Darker nights can then be used to allow for new mobs to spawn with unique drops and for unique night time events to kick off.
  • Darker nights (universally) in WvW could alter strategies, encouraging activities under cover of darkness. This could be enhanced by reducing the range you can see nameplates in the dark.

Or your option…

• A slider.
#TeamJadeQuarry

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

Ok, I’m gonna say this once more:
This a thread about a slider affecting the brightness of the enviromental light (the blue one which lights up the whole game) at night. Nothing gamechanging, just a QoL uptade, a requested one if I may say so myself.

But since I’m a kind person, I’ve created a thread for you VOLKON:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Daytime-and-Weather-should-affect-gameplay/

VOLKON.1290

Then you should change your title. The title implies it’s a thread discussing ways to make the night matter more.

But I do appreciate the new thread and will leave you with your slider.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

In suggestions there were at least 5 threads about this issue with this subject for over a year and no changes seen so far. Also a lot of great ideas in there too.
The search function is not working properly so I can’t post the links

Posted by: Wasbunny.6531

Wasbunny.6531

There are 2 huge enviromental lights.
The first one is a white light which lights up the day enviroment.
The second one is a blue light which lights up the enviroment at night times.
Just simply give us the control over the brightness of this blue light and it’s done.

This isn’t exactly true. I’ve done quite a bit of 3d modeling and environmental design for games (studying to get into the industry myself) and lighting for a game is not as simple as it may seem. Granted lighting games like Skyrim is far more complex than an MMORPG but there are still multiple light and environmental effects with many settings, behaviors, and interplay.

Here’s one of my favorite GW2 developer videos illustrating this that might be helpful.
About 20 minutes into the video they start playing with lighting and environmental effects in real-time. I love that part.

Guild Wars 2 Developer Guide: PvP map creation

I didn’t want to discourage discussion about making lighting settings optional, just wanted to point out there is a technical side of this to consider.

~An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.~

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

this is not the first time this is discussed.

i really like the treabing at 2.46

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I totally support this idea.

Off-topic: I’d like a dark, jungle-eske area. I remember such an area in SWG, the one with the rancors. Some fond memories.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

All that real darkness will do is to make players crank up the gamma to play at night. Then when they log in the next day and it’s daytime, all the colors are washed out.

Other than darkening objects the further from you they are and dampen the color pallet ala Nights in White Satin;

“Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colors
From our sight
Red is gray and
Yellow white”

You will never have true darkness because players will want to see what’s ahead.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

So what you’re saying is that ultimately it would be a waste the developers time and resources to bother with it?

No, what I’m saying is that it’s just aesthetic and for immersion purposes which is a huge factor in “video games”

How is slightly darker nights going to change WvW at all unless the devs add some weird mechanics?

I appreciate you trying to manipulate my words though like a child or politician.

Currently the difference between night and day is barely noticeable. I would like it to be more noticeable. This thread was never about “night time mechanics” or anything like that. It’s kittening simple. Make the night slightly darker like 90% of all other mmo’s.

WoW & Rift night time has always been a good balance of dark to light.

(edited by Godmoney.2048)

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

All that real darkness will do is to make players crank up the gamma to play at night. Then when they log in the next day and it’s daytime, all the colors are washed out.

Other than darkening objects the further from you they are and dampen the color pallet ala Nights in White Satin;

“Cold hearted orb
That rules the night
Removes the colors
From our sight
Red is gray and
Yellow white”

You will never have true darkness because players will want to see what’s ahead.

Even for you, this thread is about a slider whereby you can adjust your own night brightness. This is not supposed to affect the gameplay. If you don’t want dark nights, simply leave the slider at 100%.
However if you looking for a thread where daytime and weather will affect the gameplay, to express your objections, I would recommend this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Daytime-and-Weather-should-affect-gameplay/

(edited by xXxOrcaxXx.9328)

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

SweetFX can make your nights pretty dark without messing with the daytime look of it,since you can make shadows darker and light stronger or less stronger seperately.

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

SweetFX can make your nights pretty dark without messing with the daytime look of it,since you can make shadows darker and light stronger or less stronger seperately.

That would be like toasting a toast with a heat lamp.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

As I said, some folks already have difficulty seeing at “night”, even now. Not everyone has perfect vision. So if a change is made, it MUST BE OPTIONAL (i.e. a slider) or else some players will just plain not be able to play at all.

I speak of PvE ONLY! There is no argument you can make against nighttime darkness being an individual choice in PvE.

WvW (and PvP? Is there day/night in PvP?) should remain on an equal footing for all (no slider). If they make night darker there, then some people may have to drop out at those times due to poor eyesight.

Gamma adjustment is NOT an option for me, thanks for the suggestion. If I make night darker, then day becomes darker too. Manually adjusting back and forth all the time would be even more immersion-breaking than having the too-bright nights we currently have.

TL;DR: We need a slider labeled “PvE Nighttime Darkness Level”

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

This is a great idea. It is hard to even tell that there is a day and night cycle unless we look closely. I would like there to be a clearer distinction between day and night and perhaps even weather affects like rainfall and dust storms to be added in the future. They could maybe even change the way the world becomes according to the day/night cycle. For example have nocturnal creatures spawn at nights and have NPC’s become less active.

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

This is a great idea. It is hard to even tell that there is a day and night cycle unless we look closely. I would like there to be a clearer distinction between day and night and perhaps even weather affects like rainfall and dust storms to be added in the future. They could maybe even change the way the world becomes according to the day/night cycle. For example have nocturnal creatures spawn at nights and have NPC’s become less active.

This thread is about visualize the night better. If you want the weather to have an affect on the gameplay, I would recommend using this thread instead:

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

I support real nighttime too and also add in lor pls

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

I like being able to see, and I don’t want anything to be harder to see than it already is, regardless of what time it is.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Ronah.2869

Equitable slot for a night torch item . it will auto light up when the night comes making the surroundings of the character brighter.
In the night time we cant see the trees that are 500 meters away. right?
But as they don’t even add a mini pet slot, who am I kidding here? Myself

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: Miss Sugarific.8471

Miss Sugarific.8471

I agree. A darker nighttime would be really nice. They could make nice effects by turning on torches, or us players getting our torches out. (just randomly throwing an idea out there, not saying it is a good one, since not all professions can wield one)

Ronah.2869

Night time = hard mode (scary hauling, bats screams, foes jumping/rushing at you from the dark, new darkens foes like ghosts, glowing creatures, animals sleep: does, stags, skaels, drakes, etc.)

Day time = normal mode (what ever we have now)

As it looks now, we have a sleepless population in Tyria. They never go to sleep, not even the humans.

This difference between night and day should have been their first focus on how to build a Living World.

(edited by Ronah.2869)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

So you want to force however something on all players where you self think that most of them wouldn’t like it at all ?

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

Yes! I just wanted to create the same topic. Nights are toooo light! The sky is okay, but the mist has a colour of day sky. IT should be dark blue…

#ELEtism

Posted by: Voshara.1208

Voshara.1208

As long as I can opt out. I like the night the way it is.