Let us buy world exploration with karma

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

I am doing it for the 3rd time and i am dying. it’s truely a torture. let people who completed it before buy it with some currency or something.

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Yes, add an item to the pact supply agents that completes a random element, like those hp scrolls in wvw!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Only if it nulls any Gifts of Exploration.

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

You know that would be a very good idea, but it would have to be an enormous amount of karma since old world map completion takes a long time. Something like +500k karma to purchase only available if you have map completion done on your character and only for old world maps. Doing HoT map completion again was very fast.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: KickzNGigglez.4958

KickzNGigglez.4958

500k is a bit easy

I’ve on occasion had 10mil, only to dump it on mystic forge trash and winterdays gift. I’m sitting on 3 mil as we speak and I haven’t even played that much since then.

I’d consider 2mil and null gift of exploration fair

Ulion.5476

Since I never worry about karma, I do not know if it is hard to get for newer players or if a-net did karma nerfs. That why is a bit low. I remember wasting 5million karma on Orr boxes before back at 5million now. Karma just never goes away even when I try to spend it.

Ele – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

You know that would be a very good idea, but it would have to be an enormous amount of karma since old world map completion takes a long time. Something like +500k karma to purchase only available if you have map completion done on your character and only for old world maps. Doing HoT map completion again was very fast.

I feel that 500k is a bit too low, and something in the ballpark of 2 or 3 million karma makes more sense. Most people I know sit between 5 to 10 million, with nothing to spend it on, so idk, 500k isn’t really a sacrifice.

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

I am doing it for the 3rd time and i am dying. it’s truely a torture. let people who completed it before buy it with some currency or something.

Just wondering, if you dislike it so much, why do it? You already know the maps, just run through get the WPs and get back to playing what you enjoy.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Just wondering, if you dislike it so much, why do it? You already know the maps, just run through get the WPs and get back to playing what you enjoy.

Pretty much this. I am always confused by people who don’t want to do something and can play any aspect of the game without it, want to have it anyway.

Ulion.5476

Its a goal to get the legendary you want or get all of the legendaries for you main or craft that guild hall globe. Its interesting exploration the first 2 times, then it becomes tedious. Do this to get the heart so on. Even with gliding I do not want to do map completion again.

Ele – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

You managed to do it twice?!

It was torture doing it for the first time around for me. Never done it again since.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Its a goal to get the legendary you want or get all of the legendaries for you main or craft that guild hall globe. Its interesting exploration the first 2 times, then it becomes tedious. Do this to get the heart so on. Even with gliding I do not want to do map completion again.

If you where able to buy it in any way (suggestions are numerous) chances are about 100% you would not get the gift of exploration needed anyway.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You managed to do it twice?!

It was torture doing it for the first time around for me. Never done it again since.

I’m working on my 7th world complete. lol

I don’t think buying it with karma would work. For one thing, the only reason you really need world complete after the first one is the gifts of exploration for legendaries. But legendary crafting requires a huge amount of karma anyway. It would end up being self defeating.

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

I’ve got 9 comps down and I’m swapping between 3 characters currently; world comp #‘s 10 thru 12. It does get boring at times, but it does give me something to do and I collect crafting mats to pack rat…I mean sell. I have run into some things that I’ve never seen before just because most of the early completes were done as fast as possible to get it out of the way. As far as buying a complete with karma, just cleared 17mil karma and climbing.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Since I never worry about karma, I do not know if it is hard to get for newer players or if a-net did karma nerfs. That why is a bit low. I remember wasting 5million karma on Orr boxes before back at 5million now. Karma just never goes away even when I try to spend it.

They did do a karma nerf awhile back; not sure how far they went with that though. I do know that it is less per event now.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: Karmapolice.4193

Karmapolice.4193

Can I buy pvp and raid rewards with karma, too? Because those are really boring for me.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

I think Karma would be the best way to buy world exploration as there isn’t a way to exchange into karma (i.e. if the currency was gold, people could easily “Pay to Win” when it comes to world completion).

Karma is a currency that you have to play the game to earn, so in that respect I think it’s fair to be able to “exchange” the time in your preferred game area (e.g. farming meta events) to something that you might not enjoy (e.g. world completion). I think it would be a reasonable addition to the “play how you want” ethos that A-net seems to run with.

Other than that, I think it would be “too easy” to be able to buy your way into world completion, even with Karma. I think only waypoints should be able to be purchased, and at that I still think it should be random to an extent. Being able to purchase very particular waypoints seems just too… exploitable?

I’m thinking of the impact that it might have on bots (and alt farming in general to be honest). Suddenly there are fewer obstacles to jump on an alt and buy a load of convenient waypoints perfect for farming.

So I suggest that the merchant that sells this “Waypoint consumable” would be zone specific. E.g. “Random Shiverpeaks Waypoint”, “Random Krytan Waypoint” etc.

Some other options… Maybe add a daily limit on how many you can purchase, or have the waypoints sold on a daily rotation (a bit like the Pact Supply Network Agents).

Completing a map goes a lot faster once you can jump around it using the waypoints. This would be a good headstart at least, especially for those who just want to run around for Hero Points. I still think that with this system players should earn Map Completion rewards and a Gift of Exploration for completing the world.

I assume that unlocking waypoints “unnaturally” is entirely possible in the engine as it is. The level 80 boost unlocks a number of waypoints automatically, so it doesn’t seem like a technical impossibility.

But what happens to the EXP that you would have earned through discovering the waypoint naturally?

Ultimately, the balance that A-net has to provide has to offer incentive to play the game without deterring players. Perhaps making it slightly easier (with a cost) to complete maps will incentivise players to play more, but at the same time there is a risk that things become so easy that it shortcuts the players’ long term goals.

(edited by Crimson Clouds.4853)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are three elements to map completion that interest players looking for a shortcut:

• Unlocking waypoints.
  • Uncovering the ‘fog of war’ (which might or might not include waypoints)
  • Earning the Gift of Exploration.

The first two are convenience tools — it’s easier to play the game and (for some) more fun to start a new character if they don’t have to start exploration from scratch. The last one is, as everyone should know at this point, a required component for building legendaries.

The general direction of GW2 since launch has been to tie rewards to active gameplay, which is why the Gift of Battle (the equivalent WvW element) can no longer be earned passively; it requires actual participation in WvW (even if there are some ways to cheeze it).

So while I can imagine ANet offering the shortcuts to unlocking the map, I can’t imagine them making it easier to get the Gift.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Make the Gift of Exploration a consumable that gives 100% map completion to central Tyria, without any of the map rewards.

Same for Gift of Maguuma and the 4 HoT zones.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart