Let us choose how we activate glider! =(

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s not only a L2P issue but is also potentially a hardware issue. I’ve tested on my keyboard hopping to a metronome. At 100 BPM I don’t jump about 20% of the time when I simply do a quick tap. Poor keyboard, physical disability, whatever to make jump work 100% of the time I’m really close to the timing that triggers the glider.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

If your jump is so terribly unreliable, you have worse issues than just the glider opening. Don’t you fall off edges instead of jumping a lot of the time when doing running jumps?

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

@ Just a flesh wound.3589

Thank you for proving my point that I’m not the only one having an issue with glider.
I hope ArenaNet can seriously fix the problem.
I played this game for such a long time and this gliding system still causes issues for me. If it’s so hard to add simple basic options that lets us keybind glider, then at least give us the option to disable it entirely. (Though that would be bad when you need it while falling) but I’ll take that than nothing. “Go for the Gold” Achievement jumping puzzle doesnt have glider disabled and certain jumping platforms I always mess up because of the dumb glider getting triggered. It’s frustrating. This isn’t something I can just “L2P” this is something that mechanically interferes with gameplay and can be avoided if the option to keybind glider was available.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Thank you for proving my point that I’m not the only one having an issue with glider.
I played this game for such a long time and this gliding system still causes issues for me. If it’s so hard to add simple basic options that lets us keybind glider, then at least give us the option to disable it entirely. (Though that would be bad when you need it while falling) but I’ll take that than nothing. “Go for the Gold” Achievement jumping puzzle doesnt have glider disabled and certain jumping platforms I always mess up because of the dumb glider getting triggered. It’s frustrating. This isn’t something I can just “L2P” this is something that mechanically interferes with gameplay and can be avoided if the option to keybind glider was available.

Is it because you refuse to try to not trigger the glider? Because you’ve never mentioned that you have any of the mentioned reasonable excuses to not be able to reliably tap the spacebar to jump; just that you’re set in your ways from other games where holding the spacebar means a longer jump. And that reason is a L2P issue. Please explain in better detail how you don’t fall into the “has L2P issues” crowd with this.

Because if it was the game’s code, everyone would have issues with it. And considering the forums aren’t flooded with comments on it, a majority of players do not have the same issue. Which means many keyboard and many internet connections are able to handle it. Which means for a majority of players, the issue you describe is an L2P issue. So do you have a bad keyboard, a bad internet connection, some physical disability that makes single tapping hard for you?

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Is it because you refuse to try to not trigger the glider? Because you’ve never mentioned that you have any of the mentioned reasonable excuses to not be able to reliably tap the spacebar to jump; just that you’re set in your ways from other games where holding the spacebar means a longer jump. And that reason is a L2P issue. Please explain in better detail how you don’t fall into the “has L2P issues” crowd with this.

Because if it was the game’s code, everyone would have issues with it. And considering the forums aren’t flooded with comments on it, a majority of players do not have the same issue. Which means many keyboard and many internet connections are able to handle it. Which means for a majority of players, the issue you describe is an L2P issue. So do you have a bad keyboard, a bad internet connection, some physical disability that makes single tapping hard for you?

I have tried and I am still trying and I still have issues with it mechanically. Again a lot of people have issues with this I am not the only one. There should be no excuse to not improve on the gliding mechanics by giving us options to keybind it so that it wouldnt interfere with gameplay of others. This is clearly a mechanic issue that can be fixed by giving players the choice/option to keybind glider. If you don’t want the option then you don’t have to use it but at least people like me have the option to switch our glide activation method that better suits our needs when playing the game.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that some things you can’t L2P because mechanical interference? It is ridicuous if you think this is a L2P issue when clearly this issue did not exist before gliding was introduced. Now it effects people and while some can adopt to the changes, not all can because it still gets in the way. We shouldnt have to worry about “Will I accidentally glide if I make that jump?” when making jumps… We should just be able to jump and not worry about glider accidentally possibly activating… I want these 2 mechanics separate keys… Is that so hard to just add that option?

Seera.5916

I have tried and I am still trying and I still have issues with it mechanically. Again a lot of people have issues with this I am not the only one. There should be no excuse to not improve on the gliding mechanics by giving us options to keybind it so that it wouldnt interfere with gameplay of others. This is clearly a mechanic issue that can be fixed by giving players the choice/option to keybind glider. If you don’t want the option then you don’t have to use it but at least people like me have the option to switch our glide activation method that better suits our needs when playing the game.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that some things you can’t L2P because mechanical interference? It is ridicuous if you think this is a L2P issue when clearly this issue did not exist before gliding was introduced. Now it effects people and while some can adopt to the changes, not all can because it still gets in the way. We shouldnt have to worry about “Will I accidentally glide if I make that jump?” when making jumps… We should just be able to jump and not worry about glider accidentally possibly activating… I want these 2 mechanics separate keys… Is that so hard to just add that option?

You hadn’t come across as one of those who do have a reasonable excuse for not being able to not be able to reliably single tap.

I hope one day, that options are added for those of you with issues. However, I don’t think there are enough of you with issues to warrant it to be high on the priority list for QoL items.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

At least @Seera you aren’t shouting L2P! at us who for whatever reason this is a problem for.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

You hadn’t come across as one of those who do have a reasonable excuse for not being able to not be able to reliably single tap.

I hope one day, that options are added for those of you with issues. However, I don’t think there are enough of you with issues to warrant it to be high on the priority list for QoL items.

See Bolded,

Idk Anet Sure was quick to hop on a QoL non-issue when a certain streamer complained and was the only one to ever complain, next day had official response and next update it was implemented……

Seera.5916

See Bolded,

Idk Anet Sure was quick to hop on a QoL non-issue when a certain streamer complained and was the only one to ever complain, next day had official response and next update it was implemented……

Sometimes lower priority items get fixed because they take a very short time to fix and test. And can be done while they’re in between steps on higher priority items.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

See Bolded,

Sometimes lower priority items get fixed because they take a very short time to fix and test. And can be done while they’re in between steps on higher priority items.

Yes but that was an issue only one person had, only one! It was fixed in about one weeks time. This one has a handful of people that would benefit from it that are vocal and possibly more that won’t yet no words. I just believe the Priotity system they have in place is pretty bad. Especially when something like my above post happens.

Seera.5916

See Bolded,

Yes but that was an issue only one person had, only one! It was fixed in about one weeks time. This one has a handful of people that would benefit from it that are vocal and possibly more that won’t yet no words. I just believe the Priotity system they have in place is pretty bad. Especially when something like my above post happens.

I don’t disagree with that situation at all. It shouldn’t have been given the priority it was. Hopefully, it has been dealt with and fixed and won’t happen again. Other lower priority QoL features that had been waiting for longer should have been the projects worked on during down time on the higher priority projects.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Compact-bags-an-issue/first#post5940940

Wasent just 1 person others had the same problem.

But guess what people did learned to play around it.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Yeah, this does need a fix. Seems like a small QoL improvement for something that is aggravating lots of folks (including myself on occasion). Seriously, having the glider appear when you don’t mean it to is just plain annoying. Given the option, a lot of folks would remap the glider to its own button. Can’t be too difficult to implement that, I think.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Please give us these following options for glide activation:

Option #1 – Hold Spacebar to Glide
Option #2 – Double Tap Spacebar to Glide
Option #3 – Keybind a key to Glide

Currently we only have Option#1 and it works for some and doesnt for others.
I am one of those people who cannot adopt to the first option because it always messes me up no matter how hard I try not to hold the spacebar to make long jumps. So please add the other 2 options I have mentioned and I guarantee you everyone will be happy! Let us choose how we want to active glider! =(

I agree that we should have a choice whether we want the spacebar to activate the glider. I vote for keybind.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: pholtos.9751

pholtos.9751

I definitely wouldn’t mind a toggle for it.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

It’s definitely not just Dreamy having an issue with this. I do as well, as apparently others who have started similar threads. It hurts no one who is not having this issue for the rest of us to have much needed options.

Seera.5916

It’s definitely not just Dreamy having an issue with this. I do as well, as apparently others who have started similar threads. It hurts no one who is not having this issue for the rest of us to have much needed options.

No one really has an issue with the option being added, it’s just that work towards that means no work towards other things that other players want and it becomes a priority issue.

Posted by: Cyprien.4208

Cyprien.4208

I don’t really find the thing a big enough problem however I do see why some others might. I don’t think this would take a huge time to add within the game all it’s doing is making a check box or a rebind option to change it.

If your worried about it taking away from something else being made well it will but because Anet doesn’t tell us anything they are working on it really shouldn’t matter.

Seera.5916

I don’t really find the thing a big enough problem however I do see why some others might. I don’t think this would take a huge time to add within the game all it’s doing is making a check box or a rebind option to change it.

If your worried about it taking away from something else being made well it will but because Anet doesn’t tell us anything they are working on it really shouldn’t matter.

Just because we don’t know what they are working on, doesn’t mean that we should just say that any old quick QoL update should be done immediately. Because they could be working on other updates that we prefer over the latest one mentioned on the forum.

Cyprien.4208

No one said that they want it asap only you asumed they did because your aginst it. Yes, they can be working on tons of things some things people will like some things people will hate who knows. The forums is for input and really there no downside to this input other than well they would need to shift focus sometime to do it.

Seera.5916

No one said that they want it asap only you asumed they did because your aginst it. Yes, they can be working on tons of things some things people will like some things people will hate who knows. The forums is for input and really there no downside to this input other than well they would need to shift focus sometime to do it.

Please quote the post where I’ve said I’m against it.

I seem to recall saying multiple times I hope they add it soon, but I didn’t think it was high on the priority list given the other things people have asked for.

The last sentence of your previous post implied to me that you felt they should just go ahead and add it because it doesn’t matter since ANet never tells us what they do so glider keybind can just be done first.

Cyprien.4208

You shouldn’t imply stuff because you always view it as something your aginst.

Seera.5916

You shouldn’t imply stuff because you always view it as something your aginst.

I don’t always view it as something I’m against. And even if I did, it’s impossible to stop doing it. We all do it. It’s why people can read the same sentence and get a different meaning out of it. Happens all of the time on forums since we’re missing tone. Some people will think there’s sarcasm when there’s not and some will miss sarcasm when it’s present. Anything typically conveyed by tone and tone itself is implied by word choice over the internet.

You shouldn’t assume things.

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Thanks for understanding guys.
I really do hope adding these options is as easy and simple fix so that it could be implemented soon as possible cause I really love this game and this is like the one thing that is bothering me. HoT came out months ago and well, that’s a long time having to deal with it.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I think it would be nice to see some kind of alternative to the current gliding controls.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I would like to disable it for Tricky jumps.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Not had a problem with this myself, and I’ve believed for years that I had to hold in the jump button to get higher jumps in the game (only checked and found it to be false after reading this thread). Personally have no problems with how it is now.

Options are good, if it isn’t a lot of work for ANet hoping they implement the suggestion for having a mappable button and disable the double jump. Wouldn’t use it myself, but for others sure.

Have couple of friends myself that has this trouble, and I never could figure out how they did that. Know they would be glad to see this.

One suggestion I’d make is to try to change jump away from SPACEBAR, as I find on many keyboards spacebar is a sluggish and sticky button. Using ALT myself, and find even that to be a bit stickier than I’d like. Try mapping it to a key like V or something, and see if that helps, as with a more responsive button it is easier to tap and get good results.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

DreamyAbaddon.3265

Not had a problem with this myself, and I’ve believed for years that I had to hold in the jump button to get higher jumps in the game (only checked and found it to be false after reading this thread). Personally have no problems with how it is now.

Options are good, if it isn’t a lot of work for ANet hoping they implement the suggestion for having a mappable button and disable the double jump. Wouldn’t use it myself, but for others sure.

Have couple of friends myself that has this trouble, and I never could figure out how they did that. Know they would be glad to see this.

One suggestion I’d make is to try to change jump away from SPACEBAR, as I find on many keyboards spacebar is a sluggish and sticky button. Using ALT myself, and find even that to be a bit stickier than I’d like. Try mapping it to a key like V or something, and see if that helps, as with a more responsive button it is easier to tap and get good results.

Thing is if they give us the option to keybind the activation of gliding, we can map it to whatever we like so the choice would be ours and would fit our preferences.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Thing is if they give us the option to keybind the activation of gliding, we can map it to whatever we like so the choice would be ours and would fit our preferences.

Already said I have nothing against the suggestion. Just mentioning that the Spacebar is actually one of the worst designed physical buttons on a keyboard for precise jumping.

It is often a large plastic button over 2 switches, with different pressure points depending on the keyboard. Often with a metal bar in addition to try to distribute the press etc. This makes it the button most likely to stick, or not register etc on the keyboard. I still can’t figure out why so many games use it for jump.

I changed it as soon as I could. Besides like using space as “1” anyways, habit from GW1 I guess.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I’ve personally never had an issue other than these few annoying parts of jumping puzzles where I press the space bar in anticipation but it’s just before I land so I glide xD . The few times this has actually screwed me weren’t even a big deal, and I can accept it more as user error.

But I like options, and I agree players should have more options. Maybe not “holding” the space bar, but a bound key would be nice.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

Already said I have nothing against the suggestion. Just mentioning that the Spacebar is actually one of the worst designed physical buttons on a keyboard for precise jumping.

It is often a large plastic button over 2 switches, with different pressure points depending on the keyboard. Often with a metal bar in addition to try to distribute the press etc. This makes it the button most likely to stick, or not register etc on the keyboard. I still can’t figure out why so many games use it for jump.

I changed it as soon as I could. Besides like using space as “1” anyways, habit from GW1 I guess.

Likewise Course, I remap all my games to control like GW1… I played it so long, it’s habit.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

Even if there aren’t folks having issues with the glider, this thread and others makes clear that a lot of players are.

It seems an easy fix to give players a remapping option.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Even if there aren’t folks having issues with the glider, this thread and others makes clear that a lot of players are.

Well at least a dozen anyway.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

I don’t see any logical argument against allowing an option to deploy gliders differently. No one’s trying to force anyone to utilize gliders in a different way if they’re happy with how it is currently.

I know that for myself, and for a few friends, even this long after their release, gliders still screw me on jumping puzzles all the time. And I don’t really think it’s just a L2P issue either – I have tried letting go of spacebar as soon as possible when jumping, and sometimes the glider will still activate in the split second it takes me to release the button. It’s finicky, buggy, and I’m not sure if it’s hardware related, FPS related, latency, or something else. I get pretty decent FPS in this game even on my potato, and I still suffer from the glider deploying uncontrollably sometimes.

There’s literally zero harm in giving people an option. Giving people a second way to glide if they struggle with gliders coming out when they aren’t wanted isn’t going to break your gameplay if you like the way they’re currently implemented.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I don’t see any logical argument against allowing an option to deploy gliders differently. No one’s trying to force anyone to utilize gliders in a different way if they’re happy with how it is currently.

I know that for myself, and for a few friends, even this long after their release, gliders still screw me on jumping puzzles all the time. And I don’t really think it’s just a L2P issue either – I have tried letting go of spacebar as soon as possible when jumping, and sometimes the glider will still activate in the split second it takes me to release the button. It’s finicky, buggy, and I’m not sure if it’s hardware related, FPS related, latency, or something else. I get pretty decent FPS in this game even on my potato, and I still suffer from the glider deploying uncontrollably sometimes.

There’s literally zero harm in giving people an option. Giving people a second way to glide if they struggle with gliders coming out when they aren’t wanted isn’t going to break your gameplay if you like the way they’re currently implemented.

THANK YOU!!!
THIS GUY GETS IT!!! =)

Let’s hope we get a patch to fix this issue by adding other options for us to choose how we want to glide soon cause currently it is annoying this is the only way you can glide with current system. Specially annoying when glider activates when you dont want it too.