Let us dye weapons

Let us dye weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

…and the Radiant armor skins. Having all Abyss dyed gear, with the glaringly silver parts of the Radiant Vambraces hurts my eyes.

Please?

Attachments:

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

It would be great to have more customisability and I too would love to have dyeable weapons and armour pieces.

The problem is that it would take a lot of time and effort on A-net’s part to implement this. They’d have to design dye areas on weapons. Some weapons might not be dye-able because of their textures (the first ones to come to mind would be the blade on Twilight and Sunrise). However, they could do something similar to what they did in GW1 and make it so that in many cases just a small part of the weapon is dyeable (often the wrappings or handle).

But complain if weapons are dyed in a way that takes away from their original design. E.g. using brightly coloured dyes on metallic swords. Reduced immersion and realism etc.

Maybe a solution would be to have a predetermined selection of colours for each weapon so that the “feel” of the weapon isn’t significantly changed. For example, The Crossing could have a selection of green, blue or orange options for the hanging lantern and arm. Have a limited selection of metal colours for metallic weapon skins like swords and axes.

Also, I think the reason why radiant armour is un-dyeable is because of the particle effect that comes from the white area. If you could dye the white area, the particle effect would also have to reflect that colour which is probably difficult to implement.

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

I would not agree on being able to dye weapons,i’ve seen some games where the players were running around in this flashy colours…pink weapons…or bringht colours….jsut breaks immersion imo and just give the feeling of bad aesthetics and what would be the point on havig ascended different colours based on the stats…..or how would be to have a purple iron sword…stuff like that.

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

Noooo.... I see already people who are destroying their armor with their ugly dyecombos, (each armorpart is the same dye so you just look kittened up/ having dye which looks absolutley awful all over your armor which make no sense)!!!!!! Dont do this with the weapons too....

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Gabe.6810

Gabe.6810

I’m kind of mixed on this. I don’t want to see people changing the particles of weapons like Eternity but I’d love to be able to switch the swing color of Whisperblade to something else, or make a Storm Wizard sword out of the Super Sword skin.

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

It would be cool if we could change the colour of jewels and choose between silvery and gold metal.

Let us dye weapons

Crimson Clouds.4853

I’m kind of mixed on this. I don’t want to see people changing the particles of weapons like Eternity but I’d love to be able to switch the swing color of Whisperblade to something else, or make a Storm Wizard sword out of the Super Sword skin.

Actually that brings up a very valid point in some ways. If you have an SAB skin you could dye it to make it look like one of the rarer/more expensiv SAB weapon skin and thus undermine the economy for these. The same would apply to the Fiery Dragon Sword (a free HoM skin) and Jormag’s breath, a skin that is worth around 100g.

So if they were to implement this, they’d have to be very careful about balancing it in a way where these problems wouldn’t occur.

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Actually that brings up a very valid point in some ways. If you have an SAB skin you could dye it to make it look like one of the rarer/more expensiv SAB weapon skin and thus undermine the economy for these. The same would apply to the Fiery Dragon Sword (a free HoM skin) and Jormag’s breath, a skin that is worth around 100g.

So if they were to implement this, they’d have to be very careful about balancing it in a way where these problems wouldn’t occur.

In the original Guild Wars, not all weapons could be dyed.

I don’t see why they wouldn’t implement a similar system.

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Exactly. The FDS’s hilt in GW1 would only change color slightly, even with the darkest of dyes ( black ). It didn’t affect the actual flames. There were also many skins that couldn’t be dyed, or technically could, but didn’t have any effect.

I’m pretty sure ANet knows how to handle these types of things by now. I don’t see the issue at all.

Let us dye weapons

Crimson Clouds.4853

I wasn’t suggesting that this problem would mean that dying weapons wouldn’t happen. Just that it would require a lot of thought and time to actually implement without resulting in advantages/disadvantages for some people, and that these things must be considered

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Vanive.3804

Vanive.3804

Most likely they would just make new weapons or weapon skins you can change colors with dyes. It would be too much work to implement this with the current weapons, though I think it would be cool for legendaries. I would run around with a black Dreamer short bow.

Let us dye weapons

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

This is one of the features in GW1 I really enjoyed. I honestly thought it would carry over to GW2 and was a bit surprised it didn’t.