Let us name our weapons

Let us name our weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Of course some names have to be censored and it does rely on the community to not embarrass themselves but I think it would be awesome from a RP perspective (the two words that comes after MMO which people seem to have forgotten about).

It would be even more awesome if we got some sort of weapon progression system where our weapons get experience as well as us after level 80 and unlock unique effects and modifiers. There’s really no point to experience after level 80 currently, because you get enough skill scrolls as it is.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Oh no .. please no weapon level grind like in Lotro.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

Naming weapons is just silly,good thing though that this will never happen.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Oh no .. please no weapon level grind like in Lotro.

I’m still convinced that if you cut all the grind out if a MMO, your MMO won’t be very popular. Some sense of physical progression and achievement is needed.

And I don’t really see what’s wrong with naming weapons. You can’t just red-tape everything which can offer enjoyment to people which miigghhhht have some negative effects on society, otherwise we may as well censor most of the internet.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

I would not mind at all if ANet copied the weapon naming and (purely cosmetic) leveling system used by Strange weapons in Team Fortress 2. Valve knows how to make a buck from microtransactions, and ANet would not be wrong to follow their lead.

However, the real allure of these items in TF2 is that other people can view them in your backpack or when spectating you, and the item details are shown in the freeze frame on death. In order to be successful, there would have to be some kind of preview or inspecting feature in GW2 like this. I’m not convinced pinging items quite cuts it, but I don’t see them adding a more involved feature like that due to concerns of inviting player hostility or “elitism.”

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

Arya: Lots of people name their swords.
The Hound: Lots of kittens.

(I actually wrote kittens.)

But GoT referencing aside, I doubt this will ever come. We already/currently have the transmuted name issue where it’s taking the name of the original item, rather than the transmuted. Devs say that isn’t an easy fix, and that has no ETA. So implementing a custom name would be far off down the line if it were ever viable.

Would it be a neat feature? Sure, if they manage to censor certain words correctly (even ANet’s patch notes on the forums get censored sometimes). Maybe not a specific weapon progression, but repeatable account progression (like X of doing Y thing unlocks 1 item name change scroll or whatever) would be better. With the trend of account bound stuff, it would be better to have something universal rather than something that makes it more annoying for someone with multiple characters. But I could see those types of things being a gem store item.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

But GoT referencing aside, I doubt this will ever come. We already/currently have the transmuted name issue where it’s taking the name of the original item, rather than the transmuted. Devs say that isn’t an easy fix, and that has no ETA. So implementing a custom name would be far off down the line if it were ever viable.

And we even still have problems with naming ranger pets.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Desamos.1836

Desamos.1836

relax, if you don’t want to name your weapon, don’t name it kitten it. I want to name my weapon.

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: velmeister.4187

velmeister.4187

Why does this thread remind me of “Full Metal Jacket”?

“If there is anyone here whom I have not offended, I am sorry.”

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: Pie Flavor.1647

Pie Flavor.1647

sure why not, but only legendaries that you have crafted (you get the option when combining all 4 components in the MF)

And I am become kitten, the destroyer of kittens

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Why does this thread remind me of “Full Metal Jacket”?

:D

Full Metal Jacket

Tonight, you pukes will sleep with your rifles. You will give your rifle a girl’s name because this is the only [censored] you people are going to get. Your days of [censored] ol’ Mary-Jane [censored] through her [censored] are over! You’re married to this piece. This weapon of iron and wood. And you will be faithful. Port, hut!

Full Metal Jacket

This is my rifle. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Let us name our weapons

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I would totally name my axe “The kitten axe of awesomeness and doom”

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”